Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,019 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Another Look At Pay TV Cost - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Another Look At Pay TV Cost (24112 Views)

Pay Tv Nigeria: All You Need To Know Pipul Pay Tv / Pay TV WAR About To Start / Would TSTV Change The Game In The Nigerian Pay TV World? Its ICT Convergence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by kuntash: 6:52pm On Jul 29, 2018
Reference:

DONOT JOIN THIEVES. Learn to pay properly for stuff. The discipline it creates will help you overcome other challenges of life and will prosper you eventuslly. If you cannot afford it now, be patient and WORK IT OUT.

I hope you are not casting stones already?

You know, sometimes When you preach morality to substantiate a draconian policy or system, it's usually difficult excluding you from being the architect of such system..

3 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by pofolo(m): 6:53pm On Jul 29, 2018
Reference:

They will still have to buy content and there the cookie crumbles. We are living in a global age with attendant mixing of cultures and pursuits. If your cable company cannot show the premiership, CNN or Telemundo, you are out of business in a whisper. The only solution to global competition is to raise the living standards of a peoples of a country to meet amd compete globally. We simply complain because we are dirt poor. The rest of the world is ready to pay Lionel Messi, LeBron James, Anthony Joshua, Kim Kardashian and Richard Quest more and more money. We either get on board or get off the train...... restructure Nigeria now for lasting, sustainable prosperity.

cnn and most news channels across the world are free to air, CNN , BBC News, aljazeera, DW, reiter are all free to air....

its not illegal, its not me watching dstv illegally or any paytv.

its just you buying and tracking necessary satelites positions, wired to free to air decoder...

if you know, you know !!!

2 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by geezynoni: 7:20pm On Jul 29, 2018
Can't compare those countries listed with Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by iliyande(m): 7:41pm On Jul 29, 2018
calddon:
So @op they paid you to write this elongated analysis in the hope to calm nerves ba?

Its not you or MultiChoice i blame, its TSTV and whomever has refused another payTV company from thriving in these paths.

Since i started enjoying good 4g bandwidth, my DSTV box has turned to a piece of uneeded house furniture.

I cant come and pay for what Nepa wont let me enjoy, introduce pay as you watch ha si mba undecided

I am telling you, with my 4G plus tv box, I watch whatever I want to watch @ when I want to watch....
To hell with dstv..

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by mfm04622: 7:45pm On Jul 29, 2018
This write-up is a paid job! Nothing more. The writer just selected countries that pays higher. Even comparing us to US and UK. Are the content the same?

4 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by JeffreyJames(m): 7:47pm On Jul 29, 2018
I am very sure many people on this thread didn't read the article. Nigerian always want to eat their cake and have it. Even with operational cost, our price is still the cheapest in the whole world, yet we would still complain. Them no force una to pay o. If una no want make una hang antenna for house.

2 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by biggy26: 7:53pm On Jul 29, 2018
soberdrunk:
I stopped reading when he started comparing what we pay with countries that have "24 hours light", the problem is not with the company but the subscribers, it is because most Nigerians will continue to patronize them even if they increase the price by 100%. If at least 15-25% of subscribers refuse to pay for 3-5months they will be forced to bring down the price...... angry
Cost of doing biz in Naija is expensive, but there has to be other ways to subsidize for the Naija market, cos cost of living here is not the same as other countries.
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Eshiettk(m): 7:57pm On Jul 29, 2018
Please hook me up with Engr. Austin too. Thanks
notoriousbabe:
Na only mumu still dey pay to wash DSTV, I have been washing all their channels free since 2011, thanks to Engineer Austin
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Trunaijian: 8:01pm On Jul 29, 2018
OP you didn’t mention the internet access that comes with those plans or that they also offer pay per view packages. Also, content matters. If you are a soccer fan, you get to watch epl, Ligue 1, Serra A, budesliga, friendlies and other pre season comps, With Dstv you only get some of these. I haven’t even mentioned other prime time shows you get to see as early as they are aired not 2 weeks later.

Dstv can do better but since they have no competition, they can do anyhow!
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by otokx(m): 8:10pm On Jul 29, 2018
It is not just about having access to electricity 24/7, it is more about purchasing power.
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by fabulouskeem(m): 8:37pm On Jul 29, 2018
be like say this OP don de high. ...how can you say we pay less when average salary be 18k/25k per month compare to someone earning 3000/4000usd per month in the U.S..believe me if average naija citizens de earn between 120k-200k believe me no body go complain to pay premium price to watch PayTV

5 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by bigtt76(f): 8:37pm On Jul 29, 2018
Using my Android phone and casting content to my Smart TV for data look for any affording unlimited plans like the wifi.ng or Glo (I use Glo) but not everytime stream o otherwaise naaa gbese dat cheesy

Topmaike007:
which droid setup box are you using and moreover the data plan I hope is not another issue
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by dennisworld1(m): 9:27pm On Jul 29, 2018
bigtt76:
I cannot watch all the 44 channels abi na how many sef so I kukuma hol my side. I subscribe to data bundle and I can still watch all my TV series and or download movies I would want to watch for free. Funny thing is my streams are more current than DSTVs #teamMobdro #terrariumTv
mobdro d best. All sky and being sport channel. Including free adult tv.hustler and penthouse. The thing is if glo can give us unlimited sub.
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Topmaike007(m): 9:32pm On Jul 29, 2018
bigtt76:
Using my Android phone and casting content to my Smart TV for data look for any affording unlimited plans like the wifi.ng or Glo (I use Glo) but not everytime stream o otherwaise naaa gbese dat cheesy

but that WiFi.ng,how does it work?
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by meobizy(f): 9:35pm On Jul 29, 2018
kuntash:

Why not speak for yourself..

How many Nigerians you know?

Shoot a Nigerian mother indeed...

Your post history proves me right. I'll add you to the list then.
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:36pm On Jul 29, 2018
[quote author=Ezechimma post=69809458][/quote]
They can start from somewhere now undecided

After all Rome wasn't built in a day shocked shocked shocked

They need to have a structure on ground first!

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by SuperS1Panther: 9:38pm On Jul 29, 2018
HotMario:
Can you compare power availability in these countries ?
Here you buy fuel to even watch tv

Do you think you pay this amount per watt as those countries? In Uk it is N72/kwhand about N40 in US which you pay N26 for.

How many Nigerians even pay the bills?
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Sammyimpostor: 9:47pm On Jul 29, 2018
pofolo:

68.5 - intelsat

55 - champion

42 - nigcomsat

28 - joytv

16 -eutelsat

Please do you watch Premier League with these?
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Asour: 9:49pm On Jul 29, 2018
beethoven:
I pay over $200/month for tv and internet bundled together. I don’t think there should be any noise about the increase. It costs fairly the same amount of money to operate a tv provider service anywhere in the world (with the exception of salary differences). These guys do not make as much profit as we all perceive, because they pay a lot of licensing and content fees to content owners.
I don't have a problem with their price increase (to some extent, paytv is a luxury) but that " They do not make as much as we perceive?" Nah! You don't know these guys.
The parent company of this paytv(DStv), Naspers, has some of the most lucrative brands in Africa including; Mtn, Mnet/multichoice and Supersport. They made a fortuitous investment in Tencent ( one of the world's most valuable startups at a point) in 2001 that has valued their stake at over 100 bn USD.

Naspers was also recently the most Valuable Company in Africa by Market Capitalization.
If they don't make as much as we perceive then I can say with boldness that I played Deadpool in the recent Deadpool 2 sequel.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Asour: 10:07pm On Jul 29, 2018
AZeD1:

But that is not DSTV's fault is it?
Sorry for the bother but the notation on your signature is of R, Right?
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Asour: 10:09pm On Jul 29, 2018
Jethrolite:
Tizeti needs to deploy unlimited 4g nationwide, so we can move to watching free quality channels online.

Tizeti charges about 9k for unlimited 4g access monthly. They can sell 20gb for N1k. I personally will cut DSTV off to focus on YouTube and other streaming services.
Really? Do they currently cover Benin?
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Asour: 10:16pm On Jul 29, 2018
Topmaike007:
that is in dollar not naira.. if a dollar is change for 100 in naira that means those people paying 52 USD it will be around #5000 in naira, it is because of the change rate that is why it is high in your face,bro Dstv are showing us pepper in this nation..

Really ? please where in the world does a USdollar go for #100 Naira? Get the records right to analyze effectively.
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Slazim: 10:41pm On Jul 29, 2018
What happened to pay per view?
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Topmaike007(m): 10:59pm On Jul 29, 2018
Asour:

Really ? please where in the world does a USdollar go for #100 Naira? Get the records right to analyze effectively.
I mean if it was #100 to a dollar it will not reach such amount the OP put up in his post for those outside Nogeria I did not say it is #100 I know it is #360
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Topmaike007(m): 11:02pm On Jul 29, 2018
pofolo:

cnn and most news channels across the world are free to air, CNN , BBC News, aljazeera, DW, reiter are all free to air....

its not illegal, its not me watching dstv illegally or any paytv.

its just you buying and tracking necessary satelites positions, wired to free to air decoder...

if you know, you know !!!
leave am make him dey talk anyhow..

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Jethrolite(m): 11:07pm On Jul 29, 2018
Asour:

Really? Do they currently cover Benin?
Just Lagos I think.
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by romme2u: 12:34am On Jul 30, 2018
notoriousbabe:
Na only mumu still dey pay to wash DSTV, I have been washing all their channels free since 2011, thanks to Engineer Austin

cheesy

you no dey ever disappoint..........
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by AZeD1(m): 12:38am On Jul 30, 2018
Asour:

Sorry for the bother but the notation on your signature is of R, Right?

Are you taking about this "|"?
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by ezehisaac(m): 2:07am On Jul 30, 2018
This is nonsense embarassed

I pay $5 monthly for entry level and watch live premier leagues across Europe including fox channels, zee channels, RT, CNN, BBC etc.

$100 yearly for premium which also has all the channels above and some more.

Verdict: You can’t compare Nigeria to those countries. None of them have a minimum wage that is less than $1000, that’s why an average person can comfortably pay even $100 per month for the subscriptions.

When you cross the borders of this fantastically corrupt country, you’d realize that life is easy to live and comfort is in your hands.

Which way Nigeria?
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by walesho(m): 3:11am On Jul 30, 2018
notoriousbabe:

Just hope it won't stop working after 1month, now that u have expose a loop hole and your source cool
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by bhankymyk(m): 5:08am On Jul 30, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/3584987/bhankymyk-data-services/18
Check this out for affordable cable TV subscription and dataplans for all network

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by olmoRoc: 8:16am On Jul 30, 2018
What do the people in most of the countries listed for the comparison earn?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kayowa Kayode Liberty Dupes Victims N1.6m (Photo, Video) / Alex Evicted From The Big Brother All Stars House / Second Chance: Soap Opera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.