Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,325 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview (10466 Views)

6 Simple Mistakes That Can Sabotage Your Job Search. / Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by 24hoursreporter: 9:23am On Jul 31, 2018
Unemployment is one of the challenges people face around the world. As a matter of fact, people in the so-called Developed world still battle with unemployment. However, after job hunting for so long, you finally got yourself a job interview. But you end up ruining it with some silly mistakes. This article will focus on the mistakes that could ruin your job interview.

Sometimes you may be so close to getting a job, but certain mistakes you make unconsciously may ruin your chances. At one time or the other, we have faced this situation before. Well, not anymore as this article will point out some of these cringe-worthy mistakes you should avoid.

7 Mistakes That Could Ruin Your Job Interview

#1 Pretending To Be Perfect

One of the mistakes that could ruin your job interview is pretending to be perfect. Even interviewers understand that nobody is perfect. So, trying to pretend as if you don’t have any flaw will only reduce your chances of getting the job.

#2 Bad-Mouthing Your Old Boss

Bad mouthing your old boss is among the mistakes that could ruin your job interview. In fact, this will not present you well before the interviewers. They will always assume that you have a difficult attitude.

#3 Not Bothering To Check Out The website

Most interview candidates always fail to check out the website of the company. They will end up looking stupid when the interviewer asks them certain questions about the company.

#4 Forgetting To Say Thank You

Most candidates with a good resume, cover letter and perform very good during the interview process often fail to show gratitude.

They always fail to say thank you to their interviewer, this could lower your chances of getting the job. So, the next time you attend an interview, ensure that you express undying gratitude.

#5 Not Keeping To Time For Video Interview

Another cringe-worthy mistakes candidates make is the inability to keep up with time, especially video interview. This is an indication that you are very unserious and don’t’ keep to time.

#6 Poor Negotiating Skill

Sometimes, interview candidates negotiate like rookies. They don’t know the right technique to negotiate salary effectively without sounding rude.

#7 Crossing The Line From Confidence To Arrogance

Overconfidence always disqualifies people from getting a job. Interviewers always assume that candidates that are overconfidence are often arrogance. So, it is good to be confident, but don’t overdo it.

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/07/31/7-mistakes-that-could-ruin-your-job-interview/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Balet: 9:26am On Jul 31, 2018
FTC.
Dedicated to PMB.
2019 loading....
I think you really nailed it on the head.

1 Like

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by jamael(m): 9:26am On Jul 31, 2018
So many do's and don't's and mistakes to avoid and tips to remember.

To get a job, just know what you know very well, have good interpersonal relationships and most importantly, know somebody. If at all you don't know anybody, then know God.

18 Likes

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by wunmi590(m): 9:27am On Jul 31, 2018
Nice article

1 Like

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by neweve: 9:27am On Jul 31, 2018
G
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Offpoint: 9:28am On Jul 31, 2018
c
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by StankovicEgeni(m): 9:28am On Jul 31, 2018
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR MY FUTURE WIFE 1. she must wake up by 4 am 2. she must sweep all my compound 3. she must prepare my break fast 4. she must bath the children while ironing my clothes at the same time 5. she must not go out when i'm around and when am not around 6. she will not expect anybody to cook 7. she must wash cloth no matter how heavy the pregnancy 8. she will go to bed by 11 pm 9. she must entertain my family members well 10. I will not hear "no food today" 11. no man will be her friend 12. she must not wear trousers 13. she must not refuse if i ask for sex 14. she must give birth to 18 or 19 children 15. she must not evangelize my family issues to outsiders. she must not borrow. 17. she must take care of my mama more than her mama 18. before sending anythin18. before sending anything to her parent I must be informed 19. she must be ready anytime i call her on bed 20. she must OBEY everything on the list because I LOVE HER.. I don't want her to stress too much thank you for reading

1 Like

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by cyberpelumy(m): 9:29am On Jul 31, 2018
Better 'connect' na him sure pass, know one big Alhaji at the top, all is well...i remember one interview like that, come see hausa boys with better native wears, and we dey struggle wearing suits, dressing corporate, the outcome, you can guess those employed afterwards.
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Alwayzasking247: 9:29am On Jul 31, 2018
True
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by SeniorZato(m): 9:29am On Jul 31, 2018
Thank you very small
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Nwanna2588: 9:29am On Jul 31, 2018
Not in some cases.
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by bobokeshington: 9:29am On Jul 31, 2018
wow
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:30am On Jul 31, 2018
Great.
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by djjosh(m): 9:30am On Jul 31, 2018
I concur!
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Stallion93(m): 9:32am On Jul 31, 2018
Thank God I'm a medical Doctor, we don't have to go through all these Interview Quagmire and Shenanigans grin
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 31, 2018
Confidence and composure is the koko a little arrogance wud do. Most companies are tired of yes man
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by chiommy123(f): 9:32am On Jul 31, 2018
StankovicEgeni:
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR MY
FUTURE
WIFE
1. she must wake up by 4 am
2. she must sweep all my compound
3. she must prepare my break fast 4. she must bath the
children while
ironing
my clothes at the same time
5. she must not go out when i'm
around
and when am not around 6. she will not expect anybody to
cook
7. she must wash cloth no matter how
heavy the pregnancy
8. she will go to bed by 11 pm
9. she must entertain my family
members well 10. I will not hear "no food today"
11. no man will be her friend
12. she must not wear trousers
13. she must not refuse if i ask for sex
14. she must give birth to 18 or 19 children
15. she must not evangelize my family issues
to outsiders. she must not borrow.
17. she must take care of my mama
more than her mama
18. before sending anythin18. before sending
anything to her parent I
must be informed
19. she must be ready anytime i call her on
bed
20. she must OBEY everything on the
list because I LOVE HER.. I don't want her
to stress too much thank you for reading
continue dreaming don't ever wake up

1 Like

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by mcugo(m): 9:38am On Jul 31, 2018
StankovicEgeni:
FUTURE
WIFE
children while
ironing
around
cook
heavy the pregnancy
more than her mama
anything to her parent I
must be informed
bed

Then go and marry ur sister.

1 Like

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by stevodot22(m): 9:54am On Jul 31, 2018
StankovicEgeni:
FUTURE
WIFE
children while
ironing
around
cook
heavy the pregnancy
more than her mama
anything to her parent I
must be informed
bed
ARE YOU DONE TALKING? Indomie generation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Jaytecq(m): 9:56am On Jul 31, 2018
If you don't Know God, Know some1.
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by sunbbo(m): 10:01am On Jul 31, 2018
Good one
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by FitnesScientist: 10:03am On Jul 31, 2018
undecided
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by boiz2men(m): 10:03am On Jul 31, 2018
Look getting a job has little to do with all those tips up there.

It's just grace or a bit of luck.

People say you have to know someone before you get a job. I don't know if I should believe this.

Confidence is key i think.

Any time the HR asks how much they can pay me..

I tell them the average salary of the role in the industry plus 50k..... Then I make it a range with 50k difference.

Although I know my luck with jobs has nothing to do with my actions during the interview but I'm sure they are amplified by the almighty.

In 2 months, I sent 5 applications, got 3 invitations, attended 2, got the 2 offers and chose 1.

I have never been the best option.

It has everything to do with Grace.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Dollabiz: 10:15am On Jul 31, 2018
Oh
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by boiz2men(m): 10:16am On Jul 31, 2018
Stallion93:
Thank God I'm a medical Doctor, we don't have to go through all these Interview Quagmire and Shenanigans grin

I concur but you know govt jobs ain't too easy sha.

Doctors always have a job in the private setup.

The beauty of the medical industry wink

1 Like

Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Olifiz(m): 10:23am On Jul 31, 2018
StankovicEgeni:
FUTURE
WIFE
children while
ironing
around
cook
heavy the pregnancy
more than her mama
anything to her parent I
must be informed
bed

Lol u funny especially number 20.
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by bluefilm: 10:38am On Jul 31, 2018
StankovicEgeni:
[s]RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR MY
FUTURE
WIFE
children while
ironing
around
cook
heavy the pregnancy
more than her mama
anything to her parent I
must be informed
bed
to stress too much thank you for reading[/s]

You couldn't even apply paragraphs and line spacings where necessary.

This is why being a lazy youth is so bad.

The only thing a lazy youth can do so well is to copy 'n' paste.

Nonsense. lipsrsealed
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by qanda: 11:13am On Jul 31, 2018
The Best resource you can find on how to source and apply for Jobs, Prepare for Interview is a Book called the Ultimate Student and Graduate Handbook. Access the Book for free on Q and A App. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore.

Important knowledge you would gain from the book
• How to Break into a Career
• How to avoid Job Search burnout
• 7 deadly Email Sins to Stay away from
• How to turn the Wrong degree into a Right Career
• What to do if you don’t Succeed at First
• Why Nobody Calls you back for a Job Interview Request
• How to replace Objective Statement with a Qualification Profile on Your CV
Re: 7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview by Stallion93(m): 11:42am On Jul 31, 2018
boiz2men:

I concur but you know govt jobs ain't too easy sha.

Doctors always have a job in the private setup.

The beauty of the medical industry wink
Bro that gov job is smth else. But I guess the bill PMB signed recently on Residency should address that. Kinda hard understanding our k-leg government

(1) (2) (Reply)

N-power Begins Deployment Of Applicants / Npowerng / Global Communities Latest Job Recruitment (7 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.