Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,393 members, 7,812,154 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Gender Equality; A Flawed Concept - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Gender Equality; A Flawed Concept (316 Views)

Change Your Mindset Towards Gender Equality And Hustle. / Gender Equity And The Role Of Both Sexes / Chimamanda Adichie: How Jesus Christ Treated Women, A Symbol For Gender Equality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gender Equality; A Flawed Concept by Ababio75(m): 10:45am On Jul 31, 2018
It was a heated discussion between a couple of my friends and I of recent about misplaced priorities amongst the present generation of Nigeria youths. Particularly the fact that there’s little or no consciousness or preparation to how life should be faced by such individual immediately after graduation from higher institutions. Only few recognize the fact that the tertiary institution provision is not just for acquiring advanced formal education, but to also develop potentials, understand the society’s need, network and more. It’s so sad how we’ve always thought and behaved like formal education is going to provide everything. The world from the 20th century has been tilting towards creativity and dynamic representation of ideas.
It’s the reason why I hurt when I see ladies/women having talks, walks and actions towards gender equality. There’s no written law or edict that states that men should always dominate in every/major sectors. It’s because of the society we find ourselves that women have chosen to make themselves subject to men directly or indirectly. Amidst the gender-biased issues in the Northern region of Nigeria, Queen Amina ruled and was celebrated. Even in present age, there’s restrictions among the men, so ladies shouldn’t feel sympathetic to take up positions.
Prove your worth and approach the task. I’ll insist on self-development. If this can be done by majority of the ladies, be marketable, have a vision, think in accordance with change in times, be a problem solver, then who says there’s no space for you. But most ladies, when talked to about developing themselves, majority always tend towards skill acquisition of cakes and confectionaries, make over, modelling and few art and crafts. These things are also good ideas but it won’t take you anywhere spectacular until you’re creative about it. Solving problems creatively is what the world is all about right now. Opportunities won’t meet you in your comfort zone, develop yourself, network, learn, prepare, shoot for endeavors. If you fail, try again, don’t think looking for a well responsible man is paramount. If you’re intelligent and sound, that will come in handy.
I was taking a walk around my school campus during traditional celebrations of intending graduate of a particular department, whilst I walked past a lady stealing glances at her wondering of what essence is the excessive make-up, she made a statement “…my make-up today is little compared to what I’ve planned for convocation day”. I felt so disappointed.
People keep saying there’s no job, I’ll say there’s no smart labor. No employer is seeking a labor intensive, benefits-only concerned employees, smart workers are needed, exposed workers are necessary. Intelligent people don’t look for jobs, they source and take advantage of opportunities. Our community is so confused that the same ladies that crave gender equality (which its inequality was created unconsciously) would insist that they shouldn’t be housewives, nor kitchen and home attendants, they would want to join in the race with men, but will still insist that the man is the head of the family and should take care of most responsibilities even though there’s also no official rule on that also. If we really crave equality, there shouldn’t be a problem in ladies or women doing so too. But as long as we develop and sustain our present approach towards the society, this emancipation seems more like a waste of time.
Regardless, there are a lot of opportunities for ladies to catch up with and be productive as certain quotas are being considered reserved for ladies in various spheres and activities to profit with, if they can really drop petty things, frivolities or non-significant issues and be useful productively. Get involved in modern art, digital skills, business relations, cyber engagements, solve the society problems creatively, don’t only be a consumer, see an inner reason to desire success and to be independent instead of a wish with a rich, tall and handsome man. Walk and work with poise.
The world is ready to give you space “as a lady” to shine, take it or leave it, but open your instincts and be worth it.

Ajayi Martins, © 2018

(1) (Reply)

How To Write First Thing In The Morning / HIP-HOP And Drugs(an Amazing Journey) / To All Writers And Readers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.