Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,641 members, 7,851,149 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:10 PM

Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon (1583 Views)

Help Me Out My Samsunga30 Screen Just Start Showing Blank / Whatsapp Will Start Showing Ads In The Status Tab, VP Confirms / Whatsapp May Start Showing Enterprise Advertisements Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by Reediano(m): 8:52pm On Aug 04, 2018

Facebook acquired WhatsApp in 2014 for a whopping $20 billion dollars making it the most expensive acquisition by the company till date.

One thing that however isn't clear to most people is how Facebook plans on recovering it's money and making profit of that acquisition since the App is totally free and ads free.

Even though Facebook is not going to charge WhatsApp users for the service, the company is planning on monitising the App through other means. The social media giant is working on displaying ads alongside the WhatsApp status feature.

Aside that, WhatsApp will also allow company and businesses to contact their customers directly via WhatsApp. According to an official post by Facebook, it reads;

"WhatsApp is building new tools to help people and businesses communicate with each other. Since we launched the WhatsApp Business app people have told us that it's quicker and easier to chat with a business than making a call or sending an e-mail. Today we are expanding our support for businesses that need more powerful tools to communicate with their customers."

WhatsApp is currently testing this new feature with about a hundred companies which includes Singapore Airlines, e-commerce company Wish, Netflix and Uber.

The WhatsApp ads is expected to start rolling out by next year.

Status allows users to post montages of text, photos and video that appear for 24 hours—similar to an Instagram tool called Stories. About 450 million people use WhatsApp Status, compared with about 400 million who use Instagram Stories, which already shows ads.

WhatsApp users will be able to opt out of the messages from business if they want but there won't be any option to opt out of the status ads.

https://www.yomitech.com/2018/08/whatsapp-status-will-start-showing-ads.html
Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by FreshBoss007: 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2018
and that would be the beginning of the end for Whatsapp

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by madgoat(m): 11:33pm On Aug 04, 2018
FreshBoss007:

I really pity them. I would finally dump whatsapp for telegram.

4 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by teewhydope(m): 12:43am On Aug 05, 2018
to all those whining, try to appreciate their free service over the years. at least they aren't slotting the ad codes in every part of whatsapp.

just funny how people think it's easy to manage a popular app like that, forgetting the cost of servers, programmers, maintenance etc. if you hate this idea, rather code your own im app & host it, so you'll be able to connect with your fam & friends, bunch of ingrates.

9 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by toocoded: 6:22am On Aug 05, 2018
The annoying ads just pop out whenever I'm chatting. Gonna miss WhatsApp
Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by HumbleBoy21: 6:55am On Aug 05, 2018
Ejadike:
Inasmuch as I don't like ads but no one wanna go into a business and not make money from it, so let them go for it jare.

Get a TECNO Spark2 device and feel alive.
how good is the spark 2 ?
Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by HumbleBoy21: 7:07am On Aug 05, 2018
Ejadike:
the specs are very awesome and it has a 2g variant with Android go, meaning you don't have to worry about lagging.
How much is 2g variant and does the battery last.
Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by toocoded: 7:15am On Aug 05, 2018
Ejadike:
create your own im app then.
Why taking Panadol ontop another person's headache I carry the yarn reach ya side

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:29am On Aug 05, 2018
Lol

See people giving excuses for a Billion dollar corporation

Like they don't already monetise the app by spying on all your information to serve targeted ads

Nigerians are the easiest set of people to wash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbNv9MP27xE
Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by seunfly: 7:46am On Aug 05, 2018
I v been waiting for it long ago, let's wait and see how the interface will look like. If they can manage it like instagram , it will be awesome. You will not van know it was adverts.
Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by seunfly: 7:52am On Aug 05, 2018
madgoat:

I really pity them. I would finally dump whatsapp for telegram.
FreshBoss007:
toocoded:
The annoying ads just pop out whenever I'm chatting. Gonna miss WhatsApp

If they go by Instagram style, you won't even know it was advert. The most important thing is to get the interface right.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by kosmos95(m): 11:29am On Aug 05, 2018
Thanks to my GBwhatsapp don't have issue with. mark whatsapp. but if not of unsecured privacy. dont have issue with the Ads. they have to make their money, not easy to be a programmer, wonder amount of codes behind whatsapp App
Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by czarina(f): 12:17pm On Aug 05, 2018
I know Mark needs to make money ooo.... But this is becoming irritating. I'm trying to live with the pop-ups everywhere all thanks but no thanks to Google and Mark brings his? Na to go back to Nokia be that.

Greed will not kee them in Jesus name. Facebook is almost getting useless because ads are what you see instead of family and friends then this? What do you call this? greed!
Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by bravesoul247(m): 5:59am On Aug 06, 2018
I see nothing bad in it. They need to make there money back
Re: Whatsapp Status Will Start Showing Ads Soon by Reediano(m): 4:14pm On Aug 12, 2018
bravesoul247:
I see nothing bad in it. They need to make there money back
sure

(1) (Reply)

The New MTN Differentiated Kpalasa Offer, Gives You 100% Data Bonus / Updated: New HTTP Injector Settings For 9mobile Social Bundle To Power All Apps / Top 7 Best Android Phone Specification And Price In 2019 So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.