Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? (1186 Views)

Poll: What Desktop Environment do you use?

Ubuntu: 83% (5 votes)
KDE: 0% (0 votes)
Xfce: 0% (0 votes)
Enlignment: 0% (0 votes)
FluxBox: 0% (0 votes)
OpenBox: 0% (0 votes)
Other (Specify Below): 16% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by Ralvy(m): 1:27am On Jun 21, 2010
Yea! I'm one of those addicted Linux folks. I just want to know what desktop environments my fellow Linux folks use? The two most competitive DEs are Gnome and KDE and I believe majority of us use one of those, although they are many other variations. I'm an addicted Gnome user, I just have KDE as a secondary workspace to use when I want to see something different. I'll add a poll as well. If possible, back up your choice with reasons why you prefer one over the other.

Screenshots are welcome smiley

As stated earlier, Gnome FTW, I always recommend it and encourage people to use it over all other variations. It's design is unique and is very interactive. It is less obtrusive and arguably easier to use than others. What do you use, and why?

FYI: I made a mistake when creating the Poll and strange, the permission system here doesn't let you edit your *own* poll shocked
"Ubuntu" is "gnome", Happy if a mod can fix that.
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by lynxnoon(m): 10:44am On Jun 21, 2010
*Gnome
*UBUNTU 10.4
. . . . . cant say much on gnome but am kinda comfy with it
. . . . . . . kde wasnt captivating for me n most stuff just wont work seamlessly undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:27am On Jun 21, 2010
Gnome all the way.

for KDE, wells let me just say we just dont flow together.

i have actually tried ALL but enlightenment, and i pretty much prefer gnome.

the rest lightweight ones are underwhelming and i truly fail to see their relevance these days, the pc specs nopwadays make them unneccessary (except like me u have antique pc's that you dont wanna throw away grin grin grin grin)
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by Ralvy(m): 11:38am On Jun 21, 2010
Anyone tried Gnome 3.0 (Shell) ?  I'm sure many KDE users will run back to the ever winning Gnome when final is released. I'm using it now, still in BETA and a bit slow/buggy, but usability has been improved by far.

[img width=1100 height=600]http://i47.tinypic.com/wwgjtj.jpg[/img]

[img width=1100 height=600]http://i48.tinypic.com/2jg9w0j.png[/img]

-[n3rve]
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:40pm On Jun 21, 2010
hmmmn, interesting,

but though shalt not tempt me o ye tempter!!!, begone from mine sight o ye TEMPTER!!! grin grin grin grin grin

i dont do beta stuff anymore (like my peace of mind), SIDES, U HAD TO COMPILE NO?

anyways i can see transmission, what are u putting it through? dont tell me onion o, i refuse to buy that, else u ahve a lot of explanation to do on how!!!!!!

spill ye beans afore i gut ye with my golden scabbard!!! grin grin grin grin (and im supposed to be hard at work o lol)
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:52pm On Jun 21, 2010
which reminds me, @ ralvy, check the ubuntu thread, i asked for help with some stuff about creating a wireless network with my wireless card on ubuntu and using it with other devices like fones, maybe u have an idea about that wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by muyiscoi(m): 1:43pm On Jun 21, 2010
I use GNOME n havnt seen a reason to change (pending GNOME 3). its simply fast and does what u ask. it doesnt hide functionality in layers upon layers of menu options and control panely UIs. so for me, its GNOME all d way. a possible alternative might be XFCE.
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by lynxnoon(m): 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2010
hmmm
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by Ralvy(m): 2:49pm On Jun 21, 2010
4llerbuntu:

which reminds me, @ ralvy, check the ubuntu thread, i asked for help with some stuff about creating a wireless network with my wireless card on ubuntu and using it with other devices like fones, maybe u have an idea about that wink

I gave it a try and was able to setup a share between both operating systems (Windows 7 Ultimate / MacBook Air and Windows 7 Ultimate / HP dv6-1355dx), they were ping responses and files were seamlessly shared between both smiley.

You just have to create a new wireless network, use a custom IP address, an almost identical one on the other workstation and get both PCs connected. Create a share in ubuntu, the nautilus file manager will do that and give it all the correct permissions, and you should be setup.
I will try to work something out for ICS now.
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by muyiscoi(m): 3:34pm On Jun 21, 2010
@4llerbuntu u can actually install gnome shell pretty easily.

there is a somewhat outdated version in the default ubuntu repos. just do 'sudo apt-get install gnome-shell. for more up to date versions, google search is ur friend.

gnome shell has never worked for me. i started trying to use it right from when u had to compile it. i think it has something to do with my nvidia graphics. anyway sha, i cannot form a concrete opinion on it until stable version is released (in september i presume) and ubuntu adds it as part of the default install. do for now, i still stick to gnome
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:17pm On Jun 21, 2010
@ ralvy, do u mind doing me a walkthrough with screenies? im really not the brightest cookie in the jar and some of these stuff can be overwhelming at times!! tongue tongue

id appreciate it a lot
Re: Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? by Ralvy(m): 7:19pm On Jun 21, 2010
Okai, I'll get to it when I return to my laptop.

(1) (Reply)

Yahoo Mail ! / Computer Tutorials (brainboost) / Hp Probook 6360b For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.