Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,318 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (8626 Views)

Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Ubuntu Linux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway by Larufa(m): 6:28pm On Apr 21, 2006
Someone please, I will like to know whether I can use Ubuntu (Linux ) as my internet gateway and whether it support using webcam and chat rooms. Do I need to do any configuration for it to support webcam?
Re: Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway by igwe4life(m): 5:27pm On Apr 23, 2006
Hi onanugaola,

Ubuntu just like any other Linux Variant can serve as an Internet gateway.

What you do is this, get Ubuntu on CD (They are supplied free if you request for it via http://shipit.ubuntu.com - They claim it takes between 4 - 6 weeks to arrive but i got my in Three weeks) or you can download it via the net, just make sure u r using a fast Broadband connection or you might spenb forever downloading it.

In the Case of the CD, Ubuntu ships Two CDs to you, One is called Live CD which enables you to try Ubuntu without installing it on your system, The other is calledinstall CD - to use put the CD into your CD Drive (make sure u set the System to boot from CD) then turn on or restart the computer and follow the instructions on the screen (make sure you type in server on the first command line you come across). You require at least 64MB of RAM and 350MB of Disk space.

Pls see
http://home.neo.rr.com/zahorec/downloads/readme.txt for more details
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-83945.html

Regards

P.S. I still have Ubuntu Cds left
Re: Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway by kimba(m): 10:56pm On Apr 23, 2006
@guys
just wondering if you've tried using Wazobia Linux for the same purposes, Internet Gateway, Proxy etc, how did it go,

ive not tried it anyway, im a Fedora fan grin
Re: Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway by gbadex1(m): 12:23pm On Apr 24, 2006
someone please tell me how that Wazobia Linux is? i've neva used a linux before. I'm a Mac fan grin
Re: Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway by kimba(m): 12:46pm On Apr 25, 2006
ive not used it before, sha

u can download to try it out:
http://www.wazobialinux.com/download.html
Re: Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway by bdek(m): 4:21pm On Feb 21, 2007
I dont know why we bother about Linux issues, what we need in Nigeria as gateway server is something that can do  Nat,firewalling, and bandwidth mgt or queue,also stress free configurations to suit any modification of different  users, i prefer Mikrotik
is light and easy to download and install i am not advertising for them but i try it and find it to suit my work as network engineer that deal in cafe setup.
Re: Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway by barbarian: 6:00am On Aug 27, 2009
try using all-in-one ideco gateway- really simple to set up and does not require any linux knowledge what so ever wink
Re: Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway by Icoquet(m): 5:52pm On Jan 02, 2017
Re: Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway by Gargoylesmiles(m): 8:48pm On Jun 11, 2018
Hello guys, if you are still interested in Linux please join the Nigeria Linux Users Group in Telegram lets share our Linux knowledge together.
See you there.

(1) (Reply)

Get Direct UK Used Apple Macbook With Windows Installed / Can't Find Run On My Start Menu Again / How To Delete Virus By Using Avast Antivirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.