Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,984 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions (7711 Views)

10 Video Games That Were Doomed To Fail But Ultimately Surprised Us / 10 Video Games "Villains" Who Were The "Good" Guys / 10 Video Game YouTube Channels That Are Worth Watching (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 08, 2018
Some of the best stories ever told come from mythology, so it's no surprise there are plenty of games that draw inspiration from legends, myths and folklore. In this post we take a look at 10 games that are based on myths and traditions.
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 12:19pm On Aug 08, 2018
Never Alone - Inupiaq Mythology
When was the last time you discovered a whole other culture through a video game? Never Alone is a game created in partnership with an Alaskan Native community that's in danger of becoming extinct.

It takes a beloved piece of folklore and uses it as the basis of a playable fable is the first time that these ancient myths are being shared with a large audience.

Never Alone tells the story of a young girl called Nuna and the arctic fox that befriends her. I don't know many other games that preserve an almost forgotten culture

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 12:21pm On Aug 08, 2018
Kid Icarus Series - Greek Mythology
The Kid Icarus series is based on Greek mythology, it's full of characters that will sound familiar to history buffs, the protagonist who is called Pitt is based on two people from Greek mythology Eros and Icarus.

Eros is the God of love and Icarus is the guy that flew too close to the Sun causing his wax wings to melt. You only need to dip him in.

There are many other famous characters like Poseidon who's the god of the sea and Hades who is the god of the underworld,it's about time we got a new game in this long-running Nintendo franchise.

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 12:26pm On Aug 08, 2018
Darksiders - Christian Mythology
Darksiders is a great game that's based on the Book of Revelations (this is part of the New Testament from the Christian Bible you are war who is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse)

However, Darksiders take a lot of liberties with the material it's based on for story purposes.

They change two of the four horsemen Farrah placed pestilence with strife and famine with fury. The war between heaven and hell plays a big part in the story. Darksiders is still one of the best action-adventure games from the last generation

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 12:34pm On Aug 08, 2018
HellBlade: Senua's Sacrifice - Norse Mythology
Hell blade tackles very serious subjects like mental illness in a game world based on Norse mythology. The enemies look very menacing and the world itself is extremely bleak. The female protagonist rides a canoe into Helheim which is the Northland of the dead, you will encounter a few ancient Norse gods like Hell who is the Norse and goddess of the Dead.

The game was praised for its depiction of mental illness but it also should get credit for the amount of research that went into the mythology.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 12:38pm On Aug 08, 2018
Titan Quest - Greek/Egyptian/Asian Mythology
Titan Quest brings mythological creatures from different countries together. You need to travel to ancient Greece, Egypt and China on a quest to defeat the Titans who escaped from their prison. This means you'll do a lot of hacking and slashing similar to the Diablo games.

The game is full of mythological characters and beasts that need to be beaten, prepare to take on creatures like Harpies and Cyclops you will also visit many interesting locations like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and Olympus. It's a great mismatch of things that result in a very enjoyable game

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 12:47pm On Aug 08, 2018
Apotheon - Greek Mythology
It shouldn't come as a surprise that Apotheon is based on Greek mythology. This game is stylized to look exactly like those vast paintings from ancient Greece.

You and Nick and Rios with the aid of Zeus's wife Hera you are sent to the realm of the gods, here you need to defeat almost every guard in Greek mythology and ultimately confront Zeus himself.

Apotheon tries to stay true to its source material and the art style plays a big part in this. Playing with pottery that has never been more fun

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 12:59pm On Aug 08, 2018
Dante's Inferno - Christian Mythology
Dante's Inferno is based on Inferno from Dante's Divine Comedy.

You are a Templar Knight who needs to reclaim the soul of his lover from Lucifer himself. This means you'll need to travel through the nine circles of hell which isn't exactly an easy task.

You will come across many evil creatures that will need to be killed with your holy weapons, different circles of Hell all look very disturbing and have great themes like greed, lust and gluttony the game also has a pretty good combo system and interesting puzzles.

Who could think hell could be this much fun. grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 1:13pm On Aug 08, 2018
God Of War Series- Norse/Greek Mythology
Who said you couldn't learn anything from video games. God of War might be the most famous game series that's all about mythology. Kratos pretty much killed every God from the Greek realm in the first few games so the excellent God of War from this year saw him moved to the land of Norse mythology, I have to admit that I knew a lot less about Scandinavian folklore, however, the Norse gods are just as awesome as the deities from the Greek pantheon. I absolutely loved the world serpent and there are many other famous gods in the game I won't spoil for you.

9 Likes

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 1:16pm On Aug 08, 2018
Okami - Japanese Mythology
Okami is a great game that unfortunately was a commercial flop. The game borrows lots of elements from Japanese folklore.

In the form of a white wolf, you must free Japan of all evil. The game is presented like an animated Japanese ink painting, which gives it a unique look, you will meet loads of characters who are based on figures from Japanese folklore.

Most Westerners won't fully understand all the Japanese myths in the game but that doesn't make it any less fun to play

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by vasaratti: 1:27pm On Aug 08, 2018
Jotun - Norse Mythology

Jotun is a beautifully hand drawn, outline by outline adventure game that plays out like a sleep time story that you continue requesting that your mom tell you over and over.

Based Norse folklore, Jotun recounts the tale of Thora, a Viking lady named by her dad after the lord of thunder. Living in the shadow of her sibling and attempting to pick up the acknowledgment of her dad as a veritable warrior lady, she endures an undignified passing which sends her to Ginnungagap – their name for the void.

There, she is given another opportunity to substantiate herself to the divine beings as a genuine warrior by crushing natural mammoths called the Jotun, which will then enable her to enter the lobbies of Valhalla . Loaded with testing baffles, beautiful universes to investigate and fun boss battles, Jotun's greatest blemish is that it is a short experience that abandons you longing for significantly more.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by 3pleo: 8:29pm On Aug 08, 2018
nice
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Nobody: 10:20pm On Aug 08, 2018
Did you play any of these games? let's know in the comments cc: lalasticlala
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Princess4ng(f): 10:13am On Aug 09, 2018
where can i get and download this games please i wouldn really love to hav dem
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 09, 2018
vasaratti:
Dante's Inferno - Christian Mythology
Dante's Inferno is based on Inferno from Dante's Divine Comedy.

You are a Templar Knight who needs to reclaim the soul of his lover from Lucifer himself. This means you'll need to travel through the nine circles of hell which isn't exactly an easy task.

You will come across many evil creatures that will need to be killed with your holy weapons, different circles of Hell all look very disturbing and have great themes like greed, lust and gluttony the game also has a pretty good combo system and interesting puzzles.

Who could think hell could be this much fun. grin grin

I enjoyed this game.

Who has darksiders?
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by IME1: 10:14am On Aug 09, 2018
grin
Gamers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by ichidodo: 10:18am On Aug 09, 2018
We 'd like a game on Atlantean mythology....Il va etre jouer trés magnifiqué.
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Jaytecq(m): 10:18am On Aug 09, 2018
...am I the only one who thinks no game can be compared to these two games God of war and Grand-theft

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by ccSHOP: 10:21am On Aug 09, 2018
My Favs

God of War
Devil may Cry
Prince Of Persia
DarkSiders

AGE OF MYTHOLOGY on PC was the ultimate strategy game for me ever...(back then) grin
Left click and right click nor be here o...

Buy my premium sport Earphones to play your games based on mythology ANYWIA!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 09, 2018
This is really nice. I'm only familiar with God of war and dante's inferno. grin darksiders and hellblade looks promising, i'd add them to my must-play list.
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by wintersnow(m): 10:22am On Aug 09, 2018
Princess4ng:

Oceanofgames.com
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Princess4ng(f): 10:24am On Aug 09, 2018
wintersnow:

Oceanofgames.com

awwww..... thanks dear
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by StPete: 10:28am On Aug 09, 2018
sacluxisback:

I enjoyed this game.

Who has darksiders?

I have, on ps3. Do you want to buy?
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Obeflacko(m): 10:35am On Aug 09, 2018
vasaratti:
Darksiders - Christian Mythology
Darksiders is a great game that's based on the Book of Revelations (this is part of the New Testament from the Christian Bible you are war who is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse)

However, Darksiders take a lot of liberties with the material it's based on for story purposes.

They change two of the four horsemen Farrah placed pestilence with strife and famine with fury. The war between heaven and hell plays a big part in the story. Darksiders is still one of the best action-adventure games from the last generation
oh lord i enjoyed this game,for me darksider 2 was epic,being death was so cool,and fighting corruption with my scythe and gun..

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by wman(m): 10:40am On Aug 09, 2018
Princess4ng:

You can get these games from us. We deliver PC games all over Nigeria.
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Princess4ng(f): 10:43am On Aug 09, 2018
wman:

You can get these games from us. We deliver PC games all over Nigeria.

deliver? how
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by don4real18(m): 10:53am On Aug 09, 2018
ichidodo:
We 'd like a game on Atlantean mythology....Il va etre jouer trés magnifiqué.
Age of mythology cool
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 09, 2018
Assassins Creed
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by durubennie(m): 10:58am On Aug 09, 2018
bro ive played it both on ps3 and psp the game is nice with an interesting storyline
sacluxisback:

I enjoyed this game.

Who has darksiders?
Re: Top 10 Video Games Based On Myths And Traditions by durubennie(m): 10:59am On Aug 09, 2018
men hell blade is dope wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Games U Played As A Child / Downloadable Monopoly Game for Playing on my PC / How To Play PSP Games On Pc With Gamepad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.