Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,996 members, 7,810,774 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? (25163 Views)

Unbelievable Tokunbo Cars Spotted In Lagos (Shocking Photos) / Meet British-Nigerian Gideon King Who love-vendor Super Cars For The Super-rich / Nigerian Used Toyota Corolla Sport 2010 Black. 94,000 Mileage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by autojosh: 5:04pm On Aug 08, 2018
[img]https:///a/img922/4121/hysv2x.jpg[/img]

I hope I'm not the only one that has observed that a large number of Tokunbo or Nigerian used cars for sale by car dealers have relatively low mileage. For example, I have seen several 15 year old cars having 75,000 miles on the odometer.  This seems to be good news to an average Nigerian who does not know much about cars. However, it's a cause for alarm to those who do. Many people get excited when they see a car with an unusually low mileage. On the contrary, those who know about cars, actually know there is a need to probe further.

Why is this of any concern you may ask. It's a major concern because some phony individuals rollback the mileage of these cars. Some of these cars are bought and shipped to Nigeria with high mileage ranging from 200,000 to 450,000 miles or even more. However, these alarming 6-digit figures are usually reduced to 5-digits in order to make the cars seem more appealing to unsuspecting car buyers. Whether the odometer reading of the cars in miles or kilometers, they roll everything back to 75,000

Don't be a victim of mileage rollback. Do a thorough inspection before you pay for that car. Do a VIN check to know the last reported mileage. Believe car sellers at your own peril. I remember someone who was excited to buy an eight year old car with about 25,000 miles on the odometer. The car ended up being a nightmare and the buyer could not use the car for more than a week before it died. The car was like "Solomon Grundy".

According to U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), an average car covers 13,500 miles per year. However, several vehicles exceed this average figure and find their way to Nigeria because prices usually decline as mileage increases.

Note: This does not negate the fact that some cars actually come with reasonably low mileage. It also does not mean all cars with high mileage are bad. All we are saying is.. Shine your eyes and know what you are buying. Don't let anyone package a car with 350,000 miles to you as 75,000 miles.

https://autojosh.com/75000-mileage

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by CarGuideNG: 5:07pm On Aug 08, 2018
True

One of the most common unwholesome and dishonest practices in the Nigerian auto sales industry, and indeed worldwide is odometer tampering and mileage rollback AKA clocking.

It was so rampant in the USA in the 1990s that laws were enacted to check the trend, which carry civil and criminal penalties.

In Nigeria it often happens because buyers may have unrealistic expectations and place undue emphasis on mileage, often considering it in isolation and not as part of the entire condition of the vehicle.

Mileage is important, but should only be considered as part of the entire condition of the vehicle, and on its own should not necessarily be a deciding factor for purchase.

The following should always raise red flags:

An older car with suspiciously and significantly low or below average mileage.(13,500 Miles per Year for US vehicles)

E.g. a 2005 Toyota Camry with 85,000 miles in 2018

In some cases the miles may be true miles, and the vehicle may indeed have undergone less than average use.

More often than not, the mileage would have been tampered with before the vehicle is advertised for sale in Nigeria.

Always insist on a VIN check/Vehicle History Report for any car you intend to buy, Nigerian used or Tokunbo.

It's really the only way to be certain of the mileage and indeed the true condition of any vehicle imported to Nigeria.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by carbon1224(m): 5:56pm On Aug 08, 2018
People buying those cars thinking it’s low mileage are the ones been fooled but when they get it cheaper they don’t mind.

1 Like

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by Custaqueen(f): 6:55pm On Aug 08, 2018
Don't know anything about cars ooo...so I can't comment..

Check my signature guys....Please!! cry
Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by peacengine(m): 6:57pm On Aug 08, 2018
grin Nija
Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by delors(m): 6:57pm On Aug 08, 2018
We know all this thing na. How many car buyers in Nigeria understand the meaning of mileage?

Imagine a 2000 Camry with 50k mileage on it? When an average of 30k is travelled per year. Lol.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by Teeisaac(m): 6:57pm On Aug 08, 2018
Na shakamanje believe at ur own risk

4 Likes

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by 989900: 6:57pm On Aug 08, 2018
"if you know, you know." cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by divinelove(m): 6:57pm On Aug 08, 2018
grin
Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by sonnie10: 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2018
VIN check might only help you to an extent. If know, you know!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by Readonee35L(m): 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2018
They have that mileage because of gullible nigerians looking for a 2007 corolla with only 70,000miles .

11 years old car with only around 70k miles . That's what Nigerians are looking for with peanut amounts .

A car with such miles is not possible most times in the USA not to talk about Nigerian where it's exported to.

If you look for rubbish you'd see rubbish that's why dealers and cotonou Lebanon guys tamper with their odometer and reduce the miles.

You'd see a Nigerian lookING for 2007 camry muscle TOKUNBO with 2.2 Million and he will say he wants low mileage car and accident free.
He has forgotten the importer will pay 500k duty for the car.
Shipping fee to nigeria of 400k .
Duty + shipping is 900k for 07 camry.
Out of the 2.2m it's left with 1.1million tell me which super clean camry muscle can you buy from the white man for 1.1 million naira .

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by BonkoINC: 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2018
Ehn ehn..

I just understood this mileage of a thing now o..

Choi..

Oluwa bless me today..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by ifymadu: 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2018
Because most Nigerians cannot afford cars with mileage lower than that. Law of car affordability states that the higher the mileage the lower the price.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by soberdrunk(m): 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2018
I prefer tokubo cars with high mileage, nah car way good dey waka well..... angry

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by Opinionated: 6:59pm On Aug 08, 2018
Reminds me of Danny Devito in Matilda.

Avoid heartache of Tokunbo, you can buy Nigerian brand new vehicles now.

12 Innoson Vehicles And Their Prices

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by donbachi(m): 6:59pm On Aug 08, 2018
Because nobody dey drive dem 4 witchcraft coven.
Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by HajimeSaito(m): 7:00pm On Aug 08, 2018
donbachi:
Because nobody dey drive dem 4 witchcraft coven.

Which time winch begin drive moto? Dem no dey use Bini Airways travel again?

[img]https://media1./images/a01e0d7f64aa3ce6a7ce5467675bb8f0/tenor.gif?itemid=7347890[/img]

10 Likes

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by jazinogold(m): 7:00pm On Aug 08, 2018
sacamanji
Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 08, 2018
My first car was used in texas (big state in us) and had 88k as milage. When i later check am for car export thread omo na 250 be actual

19 Likes

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by TheDoc: 7:00pm On Aug 08, 2018
Any site please to check the VIN? Many thanks

1 Like

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by Neoviper147: 7:01pm On Aug 08, 2018
Because they tamper with it. Buyers most times require me to buy them cars with higher mileage here since it's cheap. I ask them, do Nigerians still buy car with higher mileage? They tell me they always adjust it before selling...that's not good though.

1 Like

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by Usenak: 7:02pm On Aug 08, 2018
These vehicles have been shaved or done a hair cut! The regulatory bodies are obviously looking the other way. Where is Nafdac!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by allanphash7(m): 7:02pm On Aug 08, 2018
How am i supposed to know?

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by stoic6ix: 7:02pm On Aug 08, 2018
Na now I understand wetin him dey try talk..

Dats an eye opener anyway

1 Like

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by OgogoroFreak(m): 7:04pm On Aug 08, 2018
And they will even sell accidented and airbag deployed vehicles as ACCIDENT FREE, CLEAN TITLE

Calculusx
Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by pukena(m): 7:12pm On Aug 08, 2018
Introducing A new Service Category on Pukena- Cars and Drivers!

Everything cars. Everything Professional Drivers.Upgraded...

Now you can do the following on Pukena:

-Hire top Auto Mechanics in Lagos
-Get connected to reliable moving services in Lagos
-Rent a car for wedding reception, love date, short travel, etc
-Hire a full time driver for home or company duties
-Hire a reliable driver for Taxify
-Hire a short term driver for wedding reception, school runs, interstate travels, etc
-Get affordable vehicle insurance from top insurance providers
-Install car trackers on your vehicle
-Start your driving lessons. Let's connect you to the best driving schools
-Buy Foreign used, cheap cars. You will be amazed at how cheap you can get a car through Pukena
-Car loans!..Get connected to verified car loan providers
-Buy Spare Parts. Trust us to get you original car sparts from our verified dealers
-Sell your car in 1 day!...Someone is waiting to buy you car now! Start selling on Pukena!
- And so much more

So much deals are being sealed as I speak. Strategic partnerships with local and foreign car dealers and auto mechanics, recruitment and training of exceptional drivers in Lagos.

We ae positioning Pukena to be your one-stop shop for all your car and driver worries.

Let's make Life Easy for you! Start here: https://pukena.ng/cars-drivers

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by 989900: 7:13pm On Aug 08, 2018
Readonee35L:
They have that mileage because of gullible nigerians looking for a 2005 corolla with only 70,000miles .

A 13 years old car with only around 70k miles . That's what Nigerians are looking for with peanut amounts .

A car with such miles is not possible most times in the USA not to talk about Nigerian where it's exported to.

If you look for rubbish you'd see rubbish that's why dealers and cotonou Lebanon guys tamper with their odometer and reduce the miles.

You'd see a Nigerian lookING for 2007 camry muscle TOKUNBO with 2.2 Million and he will say he wants low mileage car and accident free.
He has forgotten the importer will pay 500k duty for the car.
Shipping fee to nigeria of 400k .
Duty + shipping is 900k for 07 camry.
Out of the 2.2m it's left with 1.1million tell me which super clean camry can you buy from the white man for 1.1 million naira .

I have a 2005 model vehicle for sale at 233,000 KM; they tell me it's high mileage, but they prefer to buy Emeka's at 65,000 KM . . . cheesy cheesy tongue

4 Likes

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by Livefreeordieha(m): 7:13pm On Aug 08, 2018
autojosh:
[img]https:///a/img922/4121/hysv2x.jpg[/img]

I hope I'm not the only one that has observed that a large number of Tokunbo or Nigerian used cars for sale by car dealers have relatively low mileage. For example, I have seen several 15 year old cars having 75,000 miles on the odometer.  This seems to be good news to an average Nigerian who does not know much about cars. However, it's a cause for alarm to those who do. Many people get excited when they see a car with an unusually low mileage. On the contrary, those who know about cars, actually know there is a need to probe further.

Why is this of any concern you may ask. It's a major concern because some phony individuals rollback the mileage of these cars. Some of these cars are bought and shipped to Nigeria with high mileage ranging from 200,000 to 450,000 miles or even more. However, these alarming 6-digit figures are usually reduced to 5-digits in order to make the cars seem more appealing to unsuspecting car buyers. Whether the odometer reading of the cars in miles or kilometers, they roll everything back to 75,000

Don't be a victim of mileage rollback. Do a thorough inspection before you pay for that car. Do a VIN check to know the last reported mileage. Believe car sellers at your own peril. I remember someone who was excited to buy an eight year old car with about 25,000 miles on the odometer. The car ended up being a nightmare and the buyer could not use the car for more than a week before it died. The car was like "Solomon Grundy".

According to U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), an average car covers 13,500 miles per year. However, several vehicles exceed this average figure and find their way to Nigeria because prices usually decline as mileage increases.

Note: This does not negate the fact that some cars actually come with reasonably low mileage. It also does not mean all cars with high mileage are bad. All we are saying is.. Shine your eyes and know what you are buying. Don't let anyone package a car with 350,000 miles to you as 75,000 miles.

https://autojosh.com/75000-mileage

because all u wanna buy a tokunbo car with 0 mileage some even ask for new tyres i know because i sell also and i know what shippers do..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by GoodFaith: 7:14pm On Aug 08, 2018
delors:
We know all this thing na. How many car buyers in Nigeria understand the meaning of mileage?

Imagine a 2000 Camry with 50k mileage on it? When an average of 30k is travelled per year. Lol.
Justification , lie or story --it was drove by old lady
Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by sunnp(m): 7:18pm On Aug 08, 2018
It's depend how the owner use the car... My car is now 3yrs and have not drive up to 13,500

4 Likes

Re: How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? by hi3: 7:23pm On Aug 08, 2018
Who cares....I m more concern about the condition of the engine. If the rev is good, then I m good to go!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vehicle Licence Renewal: Information Required / Aston Martin Unveils N1.5 Billion Submarine (photos) / 2019 BMW X5 Unveiled (Photos And Details)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.