Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually (78590 Views)

How To Know What Works For You When Learning Programming / 13 Years Old Tanmay Bakshi World's Youngest IBM Watson Programmer In AI / [updated] Kpntunnel VPN Works For MTN Mpulse Data (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by fabienjoe: 2:00pm On Aug 11, 2018
Merimental:
he is just lucky to be in an encouraging environs..we hav his type in naija but no enabling environs/sponsors..

Usual refrain of Nigeria's lazy youths...
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by meobizy(f): 2:02pm On Aug 11, 2018
Some people are naturally gifted in the intellectual department. He was lucky enough to get the opportunity.
This is not a one-off case. A lot like him exist in Nigeria, people whose brains suck in knowledge around them like sponges. It's a lack of opportunities and non enabling environment which hold them back.
If the government was serious they could tap into these individuals, their abilities will prove an invaluable resource.

3 Likes

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by FaceThem: 2:03pm On Aug 11, 2018
Babyforever:
That's a huge amount of money......please someone help me with his contact.....His aunty wants to tell him something kiss
Bae where are u
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by krisdzhon: 2:03pm On Aug 11, 2018
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by DAntivirus: 2:05pm On Aug 11, 2018
ezewealth:
You way them no steal your childhood waytin u don achieve
Please go to cattle section... mooing is not allowed here

2 Likes

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by TheUbermensch: 2:06pm On Aug 11, 2018
Humchi:
First of all, let me say it is quite encouraging and motivational to many kids out there and here.

Taking or wanting this to happen in Africa we must change some of our mentality.

To be frank with you, alot of parents would scold their child who is taking a lot of time with a laptop than their schoolwork or even wouldn't want his/her child to have it.

Because there is this perception with africa parents that children learn alot of negative things with it and also waste their time.
They choose to criticize a child with a phone or laptop disregarding what the child is learning.

My point is we should allow the kids to explore also with making sure the kid isn't going a perverse way like fraud and all manner of illicit exploration.

According to the post, the kid start at the age of 5, many parents wouldn't let their kids have such privilege of having a laptop or a phone.

Another thing is environment

if you are in a place like nigeria, it is very slim to be like that kid.
At the age of 9, taking about ios, javascript, sql, injection, web development is more like talking garbage to an illiterate Nigeria parent. No support and no encouragement.

Also, availability of material, money and understanding people.

Another point is the perception of "you must go to school to make it big"

this is with Nigeria parents, they won't encourage you when you are having an idea of creating any internet stuff.
If this kid were to be a Nigerian, i can bet, the chance of being what he is today would be slim.

The thing is your environment and your culture.

If you want to be like this kid or someone great like bill gate or mark zuckerberg, in Nigeria here, you must go contrary to how people view things here.

All this many talk onto another person matter.

How much have you gained with this write-up?
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Humchi(m): 2:10pm On Aug 11, 2018
TheUbermensch:

All this many talk onto another person matter.

How much have you gained with this write-up?

bros, i am making a point on an issue that has to be my concern, if it is not yours, you can leave.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 11, 2018
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by seguno2: 2:13pm On Aug 11, 2018
HungerBAD:
N450 Million?at 13?wow.

At 13, I was still selling cold water with cups( before satchet water started) at Oshodi.

We need to change this culture in Nigeria, of forcing children to be part of breadwinners in families,so that their potentials can fully be utilized.

At 13 my only dream was to have a bicycle,and some pocket money for Asaro(Porridge) in school. This N450 Million would have helped me a lot.

Close your eyes let us pray for God to help us.
Finito.
Or what else can we do as Nigerians
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Baroba(m): 2:14pm On Aug 11, 2018
DAntivirus:
To be honest, I feel sorry for this kid... cos his childhood has just been stolen...

I hope he doesn't end up like Michael Jackson... God bless him

If you know Indians, this is the sort of childhood they all aspire to.. The competition is fierce among families to see whose pickin will attend the best schools, best profession. They take it serious ooo..Come see as they dey drag top grammar schools for UK. They will move heaven and earth to get there pickin into one..
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by olurili(m): 2:14pm On Aug 11, 2018
[quote author=HungerBAD post=70162027]N450 Million?at 13?wow.

At 13, I was still selling cold water with cups( before satchet water started) at Oshodi.

We need to change this culture in Nigeria, of forcing children to be part of breadwinners in families,so that their potentials can fully be utilized.

At 13 my only dream was to have a bicycle,and some pocket money for Asaro(Porridge) in school. This N450 Million would have helped me a lot

at that age i still dey hustle meet for pot
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Benbobola(m): 2:15pm On Aug 11, 2018
SaintChukz:

You're not alone. I doubt that part of the story too. That kid ought to still be in school. By the way, shouldn't he also be paying taxes as an employee at that age. What exactly do the labour laws/regulations of that country specify in that regard?
Do you mean to say he's supposed to be in school teaching his teachers
There are very few born-geniuses in the world and this young chap is one of them. If you can believe several odd news happening around the world, why can't you believe this? Not everything in the world is black and white; some parts are grey.

1 Like

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by SaintChukz(m): 2:16pm On Aug 11, 2018
DanseMacabre:

Ought to be in school, you say? did he learn any of these skills from school? Plus you heard him repeatedly say he is home-schooled, [s]which to me is the best form of schooling.[/s]

[s]Traditional orthodox schooling just cages one's mindset and narrows one's horizon[/s].

What do you mean by Traditional Orthodox Schooling? If by that you mean "the classroom type of setting where a whiteboard/chalkboard/instructional material is placed in front of you", then you're missing the point.

Schooling entails more than merely impacting methodical instructions via some medium. It should also comprise an integration of sorts with other peers where there is a full scale sociological, psychological and philosophical exchange for one's development.

What gives you the impression that home-schooling that lacks an exchange/interaction which is necessary to bring out the best in any individual because of the competitive nature of the learning environment is the best?

Have you conducted an experiment to prove it is the best. Even the latest tech models for self-learning are still seeking for more refined solutions to bridge the problem of external interactions. Do you really know what an actual conducive environment for learning entails?

2 Likes

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by salford1: 2:16pm On Aug 11, 2018
yusufu16:
Mod: Please do the needful. Lets encourage our Nigerian kids too
Lol.
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 11, 2018
We need this kind of brainbox.
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by planetx: 2:20pm On Aug 11, 2018
Probably an indigo child.
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by SaintChukz(m): 2:21pm On Aug 11, 2018
Squillaci:
I doubt this. Software engineers/developers don't make this much.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Google-Salaries-E9079.htm

https://www.quora.com/How-much-do-level-4-software-engineers-make-at-Google

https://www.quora.com/How-many-Google-engineers-make-more-than-500k-a-year-How-good-of-a-performer-percentile-would-this-engineer-have-to-be

Thank you for sharing these links. Let those dumb Nairalanders who always swallow such stories hook, line and sinker learn some facts.

1 Like

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Glink2018(m): 2:21pm On Aug 11, 2018
Neva, will any of my kids school in Nigeria.
There are some Nigerians that shld have done more than what the people outside world is doing, but various constraints have cramp out mental faculty of our citizens.
You will see a well versatile graduate, applying for LASTMA job. Or even cleaner job in the country.
You will appreciate better what I'm saying if you have your basic education in the country and you travel to those developed country for your degree or master degree.

In Nigeria , we have the iliterate governing the most educated. It's just a weird!

1 Like

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Benbobola(m): 2:26pm On Aug 11, 2018
SaintChukz:

It's not in anyway possible. More experienced software programmers with more years in the US are likely earning around $135k - $180k per month. By this, I'm even talking of senior programmers with several years of lots of project experience.

If you do a breakdown, you find that this kid is earning around $100-$110k per month. What significant software projects has he undertaken at this age? The kid's brain is still developing at that age and if this happens to be true by any chance, are the labour laws actually in support of child labour in that country?

I see your line of understanding but I implore you to go watch the 2016 American movie titled Gifted. You would probably understand better. Just because something doesn't make sense to you as you have clearly stated above does not mean it's not possible. We live in a world where records, new feat and heights are being attained everyday. Is it until you meet him before you believe him? Your focus is also on his pay, have you bothered to check his achievements? Those "experienced programmers" you mentioned, what could they do at his age. A kid like that is going to be easily poached by any top firms in the world. Paying such huge sums could be a way of retaining his services for the org, so other competitors don't get a hold of him.
Shalom brother!
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by shedy03(m): 2:28pm On Aug 11, 2018
While Nigeria is busy teaching hatred to its children and youths.
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by seguno2: 2:29pm On Aug 11, 2018
Glink2018:
Neva, will any of my kids school in Nigeria.
There are some Nigerians that shld have done more than what the people outside world is doing, but various constraints have cramp out mental faculty of our citizens.
You will see a well versatile graduate, applying for LASTMA job. Or even cleaner job in the country.
You will appreciate better what I'm saying if you have your basic education in the country and you travel to those developed country for your degree or master degree.

In Nigeria , we have the iliterate governing the most educated. It's just a weird!

If you are DOING nothing to fix the problem you are just as weird.
Running to another person’s country where he and his parents have developed will only make you an inferior second class citizen.
Why would someone who is not weird want to do that
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by SaintChukz(m): 2:30pm On Aug 11, 2018
Benbobola:

Do you mean to say he's supposed to be in school teaching his teachers
There are very few born-geniuses in the world and this young chap is one of them. If you can believe several odd news happening around the world, why can't you believe this? Not everything in the world is black and white; some parts are grey.

Please shut up! Where in my post did i doubt the genius of this kid? Most kids(~99% and this is fact) including African kids are all geniuses by age 5 and this is an experiment that was duly conducted. Where it begins to change is when several environmental factors begin to impact on the child that by the time they're barely adults, the ability to retain such ingenuity is down to just 2%.

PS: He still hasn't learnt anything at that age and there's still a lot he has to learn, unlearn and relearn because life is not all about mathematical coding and logic.
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by madridguy(m): 2:33pm On Aug 11, 2018
India and wonders kids. Just happy his parent migrated him to a country of destiny helper " USA ".

Right now I feel like crying.
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Bambambiglo: 2:41pm On Aug 11, 2018
Babyforever:
That's a huge amount of money......please someone help me with his contact.....His aunty wants to tell him something kiss

Just take a deep look at yourself ask your self this "is this how i plan to live my life?"
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Sapeleboy911(m): 2:42pm On Aug 11, 2018
Like seriously? For real life ain't fair. Here in Nigeria at 14 his age group who were born with silverspoon will probably be spending the whole day at silverbird galleria, or better still playing with the latest toy. While the poor folks will by now selling pure water at motor parks. For real life ain't fare

2 Likes

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Demayour: 2:49pm On Aug 11, 2018
SaintChukz:

What do you mean by Traditional Orthodox Schooling? If by that you mean "the classroom type of setting where a whiteboard/chalkboard/instructional material is placed in front of you", then you're missing the point.

Schooling entails more than merely impacting methodical instructions via some medium. It should also comprise an integration of sorts with other peers where there is a full scale sociological, psychological and philosophical exchange for one's development.

What gives you the impression that home-schooling that lacks an exchange/interaction which is necessary to bring out the best in any individual because of the competitive nature of the learning environment is the best?

Have you conducted an experiment to prove it is the best. Even the latest tech models for self-learning are still seeking for more refined solutions to bridge the problem of external interactions. Do you really know what an actual conducive environment for learning entails?

You're an educator right? You just mentioned one point most people will miss. The child still needs time with kids of his agemate. He's gifted in an area but if he's really loved by his family, they'll ensure they provide an environment that'll build his emotional, social and psychological life. BTW, I hope Nigerian parents would look beyond making their children do what they (the parents) want.

1 Like

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 11, 2018
Lie lie story. at best he is on $300k annually ( which is $150 per hour ) and on a side note you are born with computer programming skills. if they have to teach you then it means you can never be good at all. people who excel in this think in algorithms and numbers from birth. it is a spiritual gift which you discover before you get to your teenage years. there are 7 year old kids who can code and program anything
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by SaintChukz(m): 2:54pm On Aug 11, 2018
Benbobola:

I see your line of understanding but I implore you to go watch the 2016 American movie titled Gifted. You would probably understand better. Just because something doesn't make sense to you as you have clearly stated above does not mean it's not possible. We live in a world where records, new feat and heights are being attained everyday. Is it until you meet him before you believe him? Your focus is also on his pay, have you bothered to check his achievements? Those "experienced programmers" you mentioned, what could they do at his age. A kid like that is going to be easily poached by any top firms in the world. Paying such huge sums could be a way of retaining his services for the org, so other competitors don't get a hold of him.
Shalom brother!

If you actually believe that kid is paid that much money to be working for IBM. Then i see the reason why our inept and incompetent leaders will always keep having their way.

What do you even think they do at IBM? Trying to solve some of the world's complex problems with some kid's toys? The kid may be a genius, but there are several mammoth problems in the world that actually requires an attainment of masters and PhDs to solve. And that kid's brain still has a long way to go to understand all of that.

The simple reason why the editors of the piece may have intentionally added the money part (which is highly doubtful) is psychological because they know we currently live in a material world where people only think of material gains and they''ll definitely get more clicks from readers the moment they see that on the headline story.

1 Like

Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by IdakChris: 2:56pm On Aug 11, 2018
India and pakistan pipu know something gan
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by DanseMacabre(m): 3:00pm On Aug 11, 2018
SaintChukz:

[s]What do you mean by Traditional Orthodox Schooling? If by that you mean "the classroom type of setting where a whiteboard/chalkboard/instructional material is placed in front of you", then you're missing the point.

Have you conducted an experiment to prove it is the best. Even the latest tech models for self-learning are still seeking for more refined solutions to bridge the problem of external interactions. Do you really know what an actual conducive environment for learning entails?[/s]

That's my opinion and not yours. Cancelling out someone's opinion is nihilist if you want to engage in an argument, but I have a feeling you'll be quite an uncouth fellow, so that's that.
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 11, 2018
SaintChukz:

If you actually believe that kid is paid that much money to be working for IBM. Then i see the reason why our inept and incompetent leaders will always keep having their way.

What do you even think they do at IBM? Trying to solve some of the world's complex problems with some kid's toys? The kid may be a genius, but there are several mammoth problems in the world that actually requires an attainment of masters and Phds to solve. And that kid's brain still has a long way to go to understand all of that.

The simple reason why the editors of the piece may have intentionally added the money part (which is highly doubtful) is psychological because they know we currently live in a material world where people only think of material gains and they''ll definitely get more clicks from readers the moment they see that on the headline story.
rubbish. these type of skills you are born with. they dont teach these type of skills. these type of skills are best witnessed in teenagers not someone who went to get phd. if you went to get phd and masters it means you suck as a computer software guru. all the giant tech companies were founded by teenagers who dropped out of uni
Re: Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually by francisbiz: 3:03pm On Aug 11, 2018
HungerBAD:
N450 Million?at 13?wow.

At 13 my only dream was to have a bicycle,and some pocket money for Asaro(Porridge) in school. This N450 Million would have helped me a lot.
He is only a genius, we have geniuses in Nigeria and other parts of the world.
At 13 some kids are still scavenging in dump sites in India

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dear Programmer In Nigeria: How Much Is Your Salary? / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.