Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,580 members, 7,812,897 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try (38219 Views)

Quick and Easy To Make Recipes To Try At Home / Get Exceptional Assorted Recipes To Make Your Products Penetrate Tight Market... / 3 Delicious Pressure Cooker Soup Recipes To Try Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by HungerBAD: 2:57pm On Aug 11, 2018
By Yemisi Odusanya, Contributor

In honour of the forthcoming World Jollof Rice Day which is now celebrated annually on the 22nd of August, here are some Jollof recipes and techniques that you would love: Native Jollof Rice, Jollof Spaghetti and Basmati Jollof Rice.

NATIVE JOLLOF RICE

Not many know about Native Jollof rice and few have tasted it. This Native Jollof Rice will open your eyes to the possibilities of Jollof.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups Regular Rice
Chopped Ugu vegetable
Salt to taste
Seasoning to taste
1 Medium sized Onion
2 Fresh yellow peppers
1/4 cup Smoked Big Prawn
1 Cup Ponmo cut in pieces
1 Tablespoon Ground Crayfish
10 plum tomatoes, 2 habanero pepper, 1 onion mixture
1 big Smoked catfish, deboned
2 Chopped Paprika Chilli
1 Chopped Habanero Pepper
1/4 cup Palm Oil
1 Table Spoon Locust beans/Iru

PREPARATION
Parboil rice then roughly blend and boil pepper mixture (combination of tomato, pepper, and onion) till it is almost dry.
Heat up pot with palm oil, when it is hot add chopped onions, chopped peppers, locust beans, fry for 3 minutes.
Add roughly blended tomato mix, add crayfish, chopped ponmo, smoked catfish (in pieces) and smoked prawns, seasoning cube and salt. Allow this to fry till the oil floats to the top. Now add water, enough to cook the rice, then add the parboiled rice. Stir so that the ingredients will go around, then cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes/till rice is cooked.

JOLLOF SPAGHETTI

Jollof Spaghetti is almost as common as Jollof Rice and there are so many methods for making it. Here’s one recipe you will use over and over again.

INGREDIENTS
1 500g Pack Spaghetti
1 Medium Tin Tomato
0.45kg Minced Beef
2 Medium sized Onions Chopped
I Medium Sized Green Bell Pepper Chopped
6 Big Tomatoes Sliced
3 Scotch Bonnet Chopped
½ Cup Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste
Seasoning to taste
½ Teaspoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Tea spoon Ginger
3 Bay Leaves
3 Cups Water
¼ Cup Chicken Stock

PREPARATION
In a pot add water, add some salt and a drizzle of oil. Once it starts boiling add the spaghetti. Cover and cook till soft, then drain and set aside.
Add some vegetable oil to a pot, allow to heat up then add chopped Onions, Ginger and some chopped Green Bell Pepper for a minute.
In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup water with tomato paste then pour into the pot. Add salt and seasoning cube to taste. Stir frequently to prevent it from burning and continue till the oil separates-taste it, it should not taste sour anymore.
In another pan, heat up about 2 Tablespoons of oil, onions and green bell pepper, then add the minced beef and fry till the beef goes from pink to brown. Add the fried minced beef into the tomato sauce and stir together. Add ¼ Cup Chicken stock, bay leaf, garlic, paprika, and thyme. Add the spaghetti that was set aside earlier and combine well with sauce.
In a separate pan, saute onions and fresh sliced tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt. Allow to fry till it is cooked, add this to the spaghetti, combine properly and it is ready to eat.

BASMATI JOLLOF RICE

It is easy to cook Basmati Rice wrong, that is because of the rice itself-Basmati Rice does not need a lot of water to cook and once you nail it, it would become an everyday favourite.

INGREDIENTS
10 Tomatoes
4 Scotch Bonnet
2 Tatashe
3 Onions (1 Chopped, 2 Blended with Tomatoes)
1 Table Spoon Tin Tomatoes
1 Teaspoon Ginger (Chopped)
1 Teaspoon Garlic (Chopped)
2 Cups Basmati Rice
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Teaspoon Butter
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Teaspoon Curry
Seasoning to taste
Salt to taste
3 Bay leaves
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Chicken stock

PREPARATION
Blend Tomatoes, Pepper, Onions, Ginger, Garlic and boil till all the water is gone.
Heat up a pan, and add vegetable oil. When it is hot, add onions, curry, thyme, bay leaves, seasoning and fry for 1 minute.
Add boiled tomato/pepper mixture to the oil, add 1 spoon of tin tomatoes and fry for 15 minutes. Taste to see if it is cooked.
Add water and chicken stock, then add already washed basmati rice. Stir together.
Cover the pot with foil paper and then pot cover, then reduce the heat. What you need is the heat to cook the rice not water.
Allow cook for 30 minutes or till soft.
Now add butter and sliced fresh tomatoes, mix together and steam for 5 minutes.

https://guardian.ng/features/food-and-drinks/world-jollof-day-2018-three-fun-recipes-to-try/

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by AnikeAyaOba(f): 4:40pm On Aug 11, 2018
Delicious...my best food!!! love party jollof

21 Likes

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by HungerBAD: 4:43pm On Aug 11, 2018
Mynd44 Lalasticlala

Oya make we come relax with food. No be only politics we go dey chop.

10 Likes

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Anigreat: 4:46pm On Aug 11, 2018
shocked

This food will definitely purge someone, God forbid i taste it. I don't want to sleep in toilet shocked.

1 Like

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by czarina(f): 10:00pm On Aug 11, 2018
Anigreat:
shocked

This food will definitely purge someone, God forbid i taste it. I don't want to sleep in toilet shocked.

what makes you think so?

meanwhile, check my profile if you live in Jos and environn cool

2 Likes

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by tstx(m): 11:16am On Aug 12, 2018
okay
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Olalan(m): 11:16am On Aug 12, 2018
Well prepared Party jollof beats them all

9 Likes

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Sarang(f): 11:16am On Aug 12, 2018
What am I cooking today smiley
Tumankasa cheesy grin
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by KendrickAyomide: 11:16am On Aug 12, 2018
cool
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by yoyouyou(f): 11:16am On Aug 12, 2018
Looks good
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by idonhammer: 11:17am On Aug 12, 2018
The food no even sweet
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by tstx(m): 11:17am On Aug 12, 2018
czarina:
what makes you think so?
Too much spices..... Isn't it obvious...

1 Like

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by nnadychuks(m): 11:17am On Aug 12, 2018
Pepper is the only ingredient that makes jollof delicious. That burning jollof with cold Fanta or sprite on a Sunday afternoon is what everyone needs now cheesy

16 Likes

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by seuncyber(m): 11:18am On Aug 12, 2018
Ok
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 12, 2018
cheesy
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by AkupeMBANO(m): 11:19am On Aug 12, 2018
ask lai which jollof is better? he will say Saudi Arabia
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by BruncleZuma: 11:20am On Aug 12, 2018
grin grin grin grin

Give it up for Nigerian Jollof...

[img]https://media1./images/1dd67562323dcb4de5b9951cf59114a5/tenor.gif?[/img]

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 12, 2018
I hate Jollof rice. Give me Ofeakwu rice, and I'll eat it 3times a day for a week. I love Ofeakwu rice!
seuncyber:
Ok

4 Likes

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by fineboynl(m): 11:20am On Aug 12, 2018
umm.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Yewandequeen(f): 11:20am On Aug 12, 2018
Now I am hungry
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Iceman2017(m): 11:25am On Aug 12, 2018
Don't just type the ingredients as if its women ashebi cloths. Which one is scotch bonnet?
Abeg write the local name abeg shocked shocked grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by fk001(m): 11:25am On Aug 12, 2018
I don't like cooking never tried it before.

But I like eating delicious meal.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Imustreturn(m): 11:25am On Aug 12, 2018
If no be party jollof no worry us abeg..

8 Likes

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Yinxies(f): 11:26am On Aug 12, 2018
Let me book space to eat my jollof rice
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by enemmo(f): 11:26am On Aug 12, 2018
PUSSYHOE:
Nigerian girls never turn down free food, bloody hoes!

Nigerian men nko?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by HypocriticalMod: 11:26am On Aug 12, 2018
Infact right now I'm enjoying the jollof my sweet baby girl just cooked for me.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Groovenaija360(m): 11:27am On Aug 12, 2018
cheesy

Thank God I don't even like or eat rice.

Beans the real deal.

If you like beans more than rice hit like, share for rice

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by engrj(m): 11:27am On Aug 12, 2018
Good Morning Friends.

Please Read, Donate And Repost God Bless You.

This is Mrs. Akhare Flora O. (My Mother) she's a young and ambitious woman (48yrs old), a mother of one, a staff of Ikpoba Okha Local Government Edo state Nigeria.

She was diagnosed of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) around April 2018.
It began around 2015, when she noticed excessive thirst and frequent urination she went for check up and discovered she's diabetic. She started the treatments immediately and there was a change in diet also which is the only way to fight diabetes.

Fast forward to 2017, she woke up one morning and realized that she couldn't see clearly again (blurred vision not blind). She went for an Eye check in Benin Edo state and she was told she have diabetic retinopathy so she was recommended to Eye Foundation (A Health Care for Eye treatment only not foundation) around GRA. Lagos State Nigeria.

On getting to Eye Foundation some series of test was conducted, then we discovered that her kidney has been affected. (Chronic Kidney Disease) We have no choice than to omit the treatment of the eyes and focused on the solution to the kidney disease.

So she started going for dialysis after spending two (2) weeks on admission at Lagos State teaching hospital (LASUTH). We have been going for dialysis and sometimes the dialysis do cause an infection.

NOTE: Infections acquired in dialysis units can kill, disable, hospitalize, and/or prolong illness in patients while disrupting lives and increasing the cost of treatment. Dialysis-relatedinfections can occur in many body locations including the bloodstream, bones, lungs, and skin.

After spending so much on dialysis, blood transfusions, injections to formulate the blood and buying of drugs, I decided to make a research about a lasting solutions to Chronic Kidney Disease, and also according to the Dr. Managing her, we where told that the only solution to this is to go for a transplants. And the transplant, is very expensive hence we have no choice than to beg for a funds raise to enable her live again.

Please kindly assist us with whatever you can. We are in need of all the help you can render, prayers, money or anything.

If you need any proof you can contact me +2380-6494-5586 via whatsapp video call to see her live and the condition she is. If you need any more documents to proof my story to know if its true or not i will also provide to backup my story, you can reach me on +23480-8029-0561.

This is her account details
Account name :AKHARE FLORA O.
Bank Name: First Bank.
ACCOUNT NUMBER 2009301003.
Also find below the link to her her GoFundMe account.

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/gofundmecomplease-save-a-lif

Thank you and God Bless You

1 Share

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by idonhammer: 11:27am On Aug 12, 2018
PUSSYHOE:
Are you sure you are a Nigerian? pls stop insulting our women,I am sure you have one at home!
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by dansokoto1(m): 11:27am On Aug 12, 2018
children have take over Nairaland

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lady Burnt Noodles While Watching 'Zee World' (Photos) / Palm Wine! Now In A Can ? / A Nigerian Dad's Funny Advice To Baby Goes Viral (pic, video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.