Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (486) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (796046 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (483) (484) (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by tyleer(m): 12:26am On May 23, 2019
Congratulations
Tochillz:
Visa approved today for 7:45am
No GRE no TOEFEL
It’s God
Thanks to this family..I learnt a lot

I will be posting my transcript later
Please if you are going to University of New Haven
Say hi!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Prexy1999: 12:29am On May 23, 2019
You were denied previously with ASU(Arizona state University). shocked shocked shocked

makaba10:

I was denied visa (again) on May 16, 2019 for being desperate.
The VO was already angry. He denied a woman with a teenage boy on wheelchair and another woman who wants to visit his son. He was obviously angry with how the son got into the USA.
VO: (with angry tone) You have applied 3 times, why are you here again.
Me: my research interest has changed, and I also have a tuition scholarship and graduate assistantship.
VO: (pick my I-20 again, read through, type and was a little calm) what did you study in undergraduate
Me: Computer Engineering
VO: what year did you finish
Me: January 2016
VO: You want to go for your Masters after 3 years, so what have you been doing since then.
Me: I did my NYSC for a year, worked at Company A for year, and I am concurrently working at company B.
VO: Do you write any language.
Me: Yes, I work with C# and JavaScript, I use React, Node.js and .NET.
VO: (angrily) Alright, but I will be rejecting you again, the more you apply, the more it shows you are desperate to leave.
Me: I scream oh no, but I pick my stuff and left.
(I applied last year for MS in Software Engineering with no funding, I applied for visa in May 21 and August 4 for Fall 2018, and December 3, 2018 for Spring 2019 all with the same school and program. This year I am going to a different school for MS in Computer Science with a Specialization in Software Engineering with tuition scholarship and Graduate Assistantship covering 75% of the cost with only a deficit of $8500).

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by NewAjala(m): 12:33am On May 23, 2019
Emeraldtommy:
I'm sorry my transcript came a bit late, I wanted to have my hands on my visa before posting. Please, forgive me.
I was a little agitated when I started reading the transcripts on this platform, especially the transcripts that were rejected late last year. I however kept reading, and again, Fairheart's post about seeing many visas approved encouraged me. The whole process, from start to getting the visa was a miracle only God could do. It took a while before I agreed to write GRE n TOEFL, after my masters degree, with what my eyes saw with researching in Nigeria, although I wanted a PhD, but Nigeria was a "NO" for me. I wasn't ready to read any serious "book" again too, so, I was just pursuing South Africa jeje for my PhD. My husband wouldn't agree with me on the SA prospect no matter how I talked about it. He just didn't like the country for anything.
After a while, I kept reasoning on what my friends had always told me about writing the standardized exams and applying to the US. I did and I was graced to talk to an advisor whose active research is a match to masters degree research. He agreed to supervise me and told me his research is a funded research. So I applied and was admitted and offered GA with stipends. Below was my conversation with the VO .
Me: Good morning
VO: Good morning, your Passport and i20 please.
Me: Okay, Here...

VO: Where are you going?
Me: I'm going to JSU for my doctorate degree in Chemistry.
VO: How did you get to know about JSU?
Me: I did an online search for schools with graduate research in Chemistry and then streamlined my search to schools with Natural Product Chemistry, and there came JSU and other schools I applied to.

VO: So, your focus will be Natural Product Chemistry
Me: Oh..yes

VO: Do you have a Professor to work with already?
Me: Yes

VO: His name?
Me:Prof...

VO: Did you apply to other schools?
Me: Yes, I named them

VO: I see you're fully funded
Me: Yes

VO: What will you do to maintain your scholarship status?

Me: I'll maintain an excellent performance in academics and research ( VO nods in affirmation)

VO: What have you been doing since you completed your Masters
Me: Been into research at my Supervisor's laboratory. I carry out experiments and analysis, write reports and help supervise the undergraduate students.

VO: Are you married? With children
Me: Married, Yes, with Children, No

VO: Will anyone be travelling with you?
Me: No ( at least, not now)

VO: I'll be approving your Visa, she gave me the white paper and told me to get my passport from the address indicated in 3 working days.
Me: Thank you.

Congratulations.. Well deserved!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by tyleer(m): 12:37am On May 23, 2019
I'm 30
fairheart:
How old are you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Prexy1999: 12:53am On May 23, 2019
Visa Approved Today at Window 4, 22nd May, 2019. My Fiancée Visa Was Also Approved as well. We are going to the same school and same course (PhD Chemical Engineering as well)

V.O: Good morning (Smiles and look at my face after having my i-20).

V.O: What course are you going for?

Me: I’m going for my PhD degree in Chemical Engineering at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor.

V.O: Tell me your research interests?

Me: I currently hold a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, and at this time I would love to specialize in one of the sub-divisions of Chemical Engineering, which is Renewable Energy. Particularly, I’ll be working on the production of biofuels from renewable sources such as algae and lingo-cellulosic biomass. With this degree and this specialization in renewable energy, when I return back to Nigeria I can apply for a higher position where I currently work and contribute my quota to improving the energy situation in Nigeria(She pays attention to all what I'm saying by shaking her head and she didn't type until I finished all I want to say and she started typing)

Vo: I can see you're been offered a Full Assistantship for 5 years? (She smiles here and put his hand on the white paper already and placed my passport in one side.)

Me: Yes you're right (smiles)

V.O: Congratulations, Your visa is approved and make sure you face your studies very well. Pick it up at…….

Me: Thank you and have a nice day(I was just smiling ).

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by NewAjala(m): 1:05am On May 23, 2019
orimahspence:

He said it's God , he said its a Miracle , yes thats what he believe , leave it at that, is it your miracle? Your oversabi seems too much Alaye

We go on and on bashing mysteries, miracles, religion...God.. whatever our comprehension of science cannot explain. We elevate empirical science to levels that Darwin and Freud never even imagined.

Whatever cannot pass our basic tests of empiricism is untrue and unacceptable. Why not? Science has always got our backs; antibiotics, airplanes, telephony, information..., science is there, handling it all with gusto.

But we forget that the simple things of life; love, laughter, pain, joy, happiness, agony, sorrow all defy empiricism. You cannot synthesize laughter in a lab nor happiness in a petri dish. You cannot bottle joy for sale nor peace as tablets. There's no agar to culture a smile and brew pain. No matter our gains in science, death defies pathology and psychiatry cannot reach the bottom of the human mind.

Should we continue to accept that all we see is all there is? Should we elevate science to that podium above all else because it peeps into the galaxies and tells us of the birth of stars and black holes? Why were the stars born?

If science on its match to unravel the mysteries of existence taught the discerning mind anything, it is ad TS Elliot puts it, that realization that "all our knowledge leads us closer to our ignorance," for the more we know, the more we know we do not know.
Those with true knowledge will develop a sense of awe and bow (even while still searching!); the man with half-knowledge will mount the chariot of banal hubris and go gallop to town spewing inanities at faiths and those who bow.

You write with a lot reasoning.. I envy that..

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 4:46am On May 23, 2019
tyleer:
Visa Delayed May16th

Walter Carrington Lagos Consulate. 7am
School: Grand valley state university. (No funding)

Me: Good morning (with a smile)
VO: Pass me your Docs please! (While standing)
Me: passed I20 and passport
VO: You were denied last year? Why apply again??
Me: I got a study leave approval at work
VO: When did u complete undergraduate studies? ( Obviously looking at my ds160 on his system)
Me 2014
VO: afterwards?
Me: I observed my compulsory National youth Service at bla bla bla
VO: afterwards?
Me: I gained employment to work with *** Cinemas ltd in 2017 as an account officer.
VO: *Nods his bald head* so you're going for Msc Accounting?
Me: yes
VO: I can see you're paying some money?
Me: My dad will sponsor my program
VO: What does he do
Me: He is a senior Manager at Zenith bank and also invests in real estate (at this point I was expecting him to at least collect my dad's statement)
VO: Started romancing my passport front n back and eventually returns it with my I20 *you still do not qualify*
Me: Thanks.

He forgot to give me the yellow paper. I got outside even d security me laff say Baba dem no even give u any paper grin. Some said I shouldn't have booked 7am that the stuff is quota based bla bla bla. I need corrections if I was at fault and if it's due to no funding, ild take my time and refire!

Thanks for sharing this. Takes a lot of courage, these are my observations.

1) Why were you denied last year?

2) You know.. It is expected that a tremendous improvement should have been made from the last time of interview.. That was why the VO threw that question to you..(You've been denied last year, why apply again?)
It is a different way of saying ( What have changed since your last application) . .
Your response was not impressive at all. And first impression matters..how well you answer your first question will determine how the conversation flows.

You can say things like..' I am more confident and well informed now' and that serves as a rebuttal.

I mean by this time you should anticipate the questions.. When did you finish your NYSC, AFTERWARDS?
That's same way of asking.. What have you been doing since you finished NYSC.
He gave you another chance to sell yourself and you didn't take that chance. You should keep talking because it is expected you have loads of experience to share..

You know... There are lots of ways to make the VO ask you q question you want them to ask you. You take them towards the direction you want them to get to.

Please post your transcript before refiring .. You need to be almost perfect in your responses at your next interview.
Age doesn't mean anything for Masters and Phd..so at 30 ,35 or 40 you can decide it's time to advance your degree. That's why it's called career plan.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 5:11am On May 23, 2019
Congrats!
Prexy1999:
Visa Approved Today at Window 4, 22nd May, 2019. My Fiancée Visa Was Also Approved as well. We are going to the same school and same course (PhD Chemical Engineering as well)

Me: I’m going for my PhD degree in Chemical Engineering at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor.

Me: I currently hold a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, and at this time I would love to specialize in one of the sub-divisions of Chemical Engineering, which is Renewable Energy. Particularly, I’ll be working on the production of biofuels from renewable sources such as algae and lingo-cellulosic biomass. With this degree and this specialization in renewable energy, when I return back to Nigeria I can apply for a higher position where I currently work and contribute my quota to improving the energy situation in Nigeria(She pays attention to all what I'm saying by shaking her head and she didn't type until I finished all I want to say and she started typing)

Vo: I can see you're been offered a Full Assistantship for 5 years? (She smiles here and put his hand on the white paper already and placed my passport in one side.)

V.O: Congratulations, Your visa is approved and make sure you face your studies very well. Pick it up at…….

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Merico96: 5:41am On May 23, 2019
Hello good people. I was denied visa yesterday. I want to know the steps in reapplying. Am I to pay another visa fee because yesterday's denial was my first attempt?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 5:52am On May 23, 2019
Kindly share your interview experience and the transcript. To reapply, you'll need to pay another visa fee, fill another DS160, and schedule a new date for interview. While you do these, it's important to check yourself. What I normally advise students who have been refused is that, you need to recollect and assess your performance during the interview. Were you confident? Is there any question you'd have answered better and differently? Did you answer the questions well? Is my choice of program in line with the degree I'm going for?

Share your interview transcript. You might want to do that before you go ahead and pay another visa fee.
Merico96:
Hello good people. I was denied visa yesterday. I want to know the steps in reapplying. Am I to pay another visa fee because yesterday's denial was my first attempt?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sheq: 6:01am On May 23, 2019
Visa approvals every where! And i habent even written my gmat embarassed embarassed embarassed ...i cant even read through all the post...chai...dear Lord where are you

Congratulations to everyone one of you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 6:10am On May 23, 2019
Maybe you should take time off and focus on writing the exam. At this point, you should be focus on the exam, yourself, making research on best schools to apply to. You can come back when you're set for the next phase.
Sheq:
Visa approvals every where! And i habent even written my gmat embarassed embarassed embarassed ...i cant even read through all the post...chai...dear Lord where are you

Congratulations to everyone one of you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Merico96: 6:12am On May 23, 2019
Thanks so much, I will post my transcript and get ready again.
But can there still be available dates for interview in June?
fairheart:
Kindly share your interview experience and the transcript. To reapply, you'll need to pay another visa fee, fill another DS160, and schedule a new date for interview. While you do these, it's important to check yourself. What I normally advise students who have been refused is that, you need to recollect and assess your performance during the interview. Were you confident? Is there any question you'd have answered better and differently? Did you answer the questions well? Is my choice of program in line with the degree I'm going for?

Share your interview transcript. You might want to do that before you go ahead and pay another visa fee.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 6:17am On May 23, 2019
If there's no date for June, there should be for first to second week of July, which is still ideal and would give you enough time to work on yourself and prepare. Also, share your academic profile along with the transcript and details of your interview experience.
Merico96:
Thanks so much, I will post my transcript and get ready again.
But can there still be available dates for interview in June?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Merico96: 6:20am On May 23, 2019
Okay boss. Is it also okay for me to write to you and have a one on one knit with you during this my period of reapplication?
fairheart:
If there's no date for June, there should be for first to second week of July, which is still ideal and would give you enough time to work on yourself and prepare. Also, share your academic profile along with the transcript and details of your interview experience.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 6:23am On May 23, 2019
You're welcome.
Merico96:
Okay boss. Is it also okay for me to write to you and have a one on one knit with you during this my period of reapplication?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by denniece1(m): 6:37am On May 23, 2019
Tochillz:
No GRE no TOEFEL
It’s God

Say hi!
Good news, congrats!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by wolex2090: 7:37am On May 23, 2019
tyleer:
I think the white old man was in Window 1, that man is so mean, he frowns immediately he sees previously refused applicants nawa!
He can only interview you once,next time you go it will be someone else that will attend to you,V.O can't interview you twice.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Emeraldtommy: 7:51am On May 23, 2019
My person, I agree with you, it is God, and a miracle. Some people can argue that out.
Tochillz:
No GRE no TOEFEL
It’s God

Say hi!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Marjoribanks: 8:07am On May 23, 2019
makaba10:

I was denied visa (again) on May 16, 2019 for being desperate.
The VO was already angry. He denied a woman with a teenage boy on wheelchair and another woman who wants to visit his son. He was obviously angry with how the son got into the USA.
VO: (with angry tone) You have applied 3 times, why are you here again.
Me: my research interest has changed, and I also have a tuition scholarship and graduate assistantship.
VO: (pick my I-20 again, read through, type and was a little calm) what did you study in undergraduate
Me: Computer Engineering
VO: what year did you finish
Me: January 2016
VO: You want to go for your Masters after 3 years, so what have you been doing since then.
Me: I did my NYSC for a year, worked at Company A for year, and I am concurrently working at company B.
VO: Do you write any language.
Me: Yes, I work with C# and JavaScript, I use React, Node.js and .NET.
VO: (angrily) Alright, but I will be rejecting you again, the more you apply, the more it shows you are desperate to leave.
Me: I scream oh no, but I pick my stuff and left.
(I applied last year for MS in Software Engineering with no funding, I applied for visa in May 21 and August 4 for Fall 2018, and December 3, 2018 for Spring 2019 all with the same school and program. This year I am going to a different school for MS in Computer Science with a Specialization in Software Engineering with tuition scholarship and Graduate Assistantship covering 75% of the cost with only a deficit of $8500).
He said the more you applied the more it shows you are desperate to leave and you screamed ohh Noo.
You should have emphasized that your intention is not to immigrate but to study.
Even if he's still going to deny you, you should have screamed that at him.
You shouldn't have given up just like that.
Next time be bold and courageous!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Marjoribanks: 8:09am On May 23, 2019
Emeraldtommy:
My person, I agree with you, it is God, and a miracle. Some people can argue that out.
Congrats.
Yes, it can only be God
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Adedayo65: 8:29am On May 23, 2019
@bracelum, respect!!!! Your analysis was �

bracelum:

You see what I was saying? If you no share transcript now, you go make everyone believe say na VO fault.

BOLD 1: So, you did not take a leave last year during your application? That was not a good reason and I feel you set a sad impression from that point. You can say stuff like "I couldn't articluate my study plan properly to the VO and I was rejected". A follow-up question might be "So, tell me about your study plan". Then, you can climb the wheel and murder your interview there.

BOLD 2: You nailed your coffin at this point. You should have connected your jobs to this current degree. Something like " I did my NYSC and due to my passion in accounting, I taught high school students basic knowledge on bookkeeping, cashflows etc(don't lie o! Make sure it's true). Thereafter, I secured a job as an Account Manager in Bleep where I prepared annual financial records and performed several accounting functions like X, X and X".

Since your dad is financing the trip, I don't think the funding was a problem.

Also, ignore all those things they told you about applying at 7am bla bla bla. Prepare well for your visa interview and you will nail it even though you do it in the middle of the night.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 8:42am On May 23, 2019

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by makaba10: 8:48am On May 23, 2019
This thing dey like ludo/chess: you can see clearly from outside. Man was visibly angry and was squeezing my passport and papers through the window while he muted those words. But it’s fine. I actually didn’t share because I want correction or sympathy. I want others to learn and be strategic in this hustle.
Marjoribanks:

He said the more you applied the more it shows you are desperate to leave and you screamed ohh Noo.
You should have emphasized that your intention is not to immigrate but to study.
Even if he's still going to deny you, you should have screamed that at him.
You shouldn't have given up just like that.
Next time be bold and courageous!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 8:49am On May 23, 2019
Time2win:
Breaking NEWS!!! Increase in SEVIS $200 to $350 (Effective June 26th)

https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/new-increased-fees-international-students-exchange-visitors-sevp-certified-schools

Its actually June 24th not 26th.
Nice share
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Mudicua: 9:25am On May 23, 2019
Congratulations to you and to your fiancee.

Prexy1999:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Amyfid12: 9:36am On May 23, 2019
Good morning lovely people. Please my interview is tomorrow, the gurus in the house, kindly scrutinize my proposed interview transcript and corrections will be kindly taken. Thanks as I expect your feedbacks.

ME: Good morning Sir

VO: Good morning, can I have your passport and 1-20?

ME: Sure sir

VO: Why are you going to US?

ME: I am going for a Masters degree program in Public Health at WCU, with specialization on Community Health track.

VO: How many schools did you apply?

ME: 6

VO: List them

ME: NDSU, SCSU, ISU, JSU, MSU, WCU.

VO: How many admits?

ME: 5 ( NDSU WCU, SCSU, JSU, ISU). My admission at MSU is still pending.

VO: Why did you choose WCU? Why not NDSU?

ME: I chose WCU because I'm interested in an ongoing research by Prof xxxx on Improving maternal and child health outcomes in undeserved populations. And at present, my community is undeserved haelthwise, cos we've had an increase in maternal and infant deaths. Also, WCU mandates it's MPH students to complete a 6 credits, 300hrs community service course called Applied Learning Experience. That's when students apply public health knowledge and skills gained in the classroom to real world public health problems. Its an avenue for students to interact with their community. This exposure will be of help to me when I return to Nigeria cos it will enable me plan and implement public health programs.

VO? Why MPH?

ME: Nigeria currently has a high burden of public health diseases like Malaria, TB, HIV/AIDS etc due to poor policies and inadequate allocation of resources to combat and control these diseases. My studies in public health will enable me acquire the knowledge and skills to join hands with the FMOH and other public health Non profit organizations to bring possible recommendations and sustainable solutions to the high prevalence rate of public health diseases in Nigeria, this prolonging the life expectancy of the population.

VO: Nods, I can see you're a pharmacist, when did you graduate?

ME: 2012

VO: What have you been doing since?

ME: I commenced a one year internship program at xxxxxx. From there, I was deployed to xxxx for my NYSC. After my NYSC program, I got a job as a Superintendent pharmacist of xxxxxx, where I'm currently working.

VO: Why do you want to leave your job now and study?

ME: Having worked in the hospital environment and community practice, I became interested in preventive care. Questions such as what if people took preventive measures to avoid contracting or spreading diseases? Is the government well informed before making key decisions that impact the health of the public?. Owing to these, I decided to expand beyond the traditional functions of dispensing drugs and health consumables but to pursue a non traditional career opportunities that are more patient oriented and involves public health functions.

VO: What are your plans after your study?

ME: I intend to come back to Nigeria after my studies, having garnered adequate research, practical and field knowledge and skills, it will enable me take up public health positions like monitoring and evaluation officer, epidemiologist etc from any public health non profit organizations like FHI 360, UNICEF, USAID , which are I high demand, thus improving the quality of life of people. Also, on a long term, I will love to establish my own community pharmacy and the skills and knowledge gained during my MPH studies, will also help me render qualitative, accessible and affordable healthcare services to people within my environs.

VO: I can see your aunt is sponsoring you? Why?

ME: Yea, she's one of the people that saw my huge passion for medicine and she encouraged me to go for it. She' sponsored me during my Bachelor's program and still wants to help advance my career.

VO: I will be approving your visa. Hands me a white paper.

ME: Thank you!!!!!!

Please, I need more reviews on my proposed transcript. Am I good to go??

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Marjoribanks: 9:49am On May 23, 2019
makaba10:
This thing dey like ludo/chess: you can see clearly from outside. Man was visibly angry and was squeezing my passport and papers through the window while he muted those words. But it’s fine. I actually didn’t share because I want correction or sympathy. I want others to learn and be strategic in this hustle.
As aspiring students we shouldn't be averse to corrections. All I did was to encourage you bro!
I wish you all the best in all your endeavours.
#thehustleisrealsincerelyyours.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 10:04am On May 23, 2019
Amyfid12:
Good morning lovely people. Please my interview is tomorrow, the gurus in the house, kindly scrutinize my proposed interview transcript and corrections will be kindly taken. Thanks as I expect your feedbacks.

ME: Good morning Sir

VO: Good morning, can I have your passport and 1-20?

ME: Sure sir

VO: Why are you going to US?

ME: I am going for a Masters degree program in Public Health at WCU, with specialization on Community Health track.

VO: How many schools did you apply?

ME: 6

VO: List them

ME: NDSU, SCSU, ISU, JSU, MSU, WCU.

VO: How many admits?

ME: 5 ( NDSU WCU, SCSU, JSU, ISU). My admission at MSU is still pending.

VO: Why did you choose WCU? Why not NDSU?

ME: I chose WCU because I'm interested in an ongoing research by Prof xxxx on Improving maternal and child health outcomes in undeserved populations. And at present, my community is undeserved haelthwise, cos we've had an increase in maternal and infant deaths. Also, WCU mandates it's MPH students to complete a 6 credits, 300hrs community service course called Applied Learning Experience. That's when students apply public health knowledge and skills gained in the classroom to real world public health problems. Its an avenue for students to interact with their community. This exposure will be of help to me when I return to Nigeria cos it will enable me plan and implement public health programs.

VO? Why MPH?

ME: Nigeria currently has a high burden of public health diseases like Malaria, TB, HIV/AIDS etc due to poor policies and inadequate allocation of resources to combat and control these diseases. My studies in public health will enable me acquire the knowledge and skills to join hands with the FMOH and other public health Non profit organizations to bring possible recommendations and sustainable solutions to the high prevalence rate of public health diseases in Nigeria, this prolonging the life expectancy of the population.

VO: Nods, I can see you're a pharmacist, when did you graduate?

ME: 2012

VO: What have you been doing since?

ME: I commenced a one year internship program at xxxxxx. From there, I was deployed to xxxx for my NYSC. After my NYSC program, I got a job as a Superintendent pharmacist of xxxxxx, where I'm currently working.

VO: Why do you want to leave your job now and study?

ME: Having worked in the hospital environment and community practice, I became interested in preventive care. Questions such as what if people took preventive measures to avoid contracting or spreading diseases? Is the government well informed before making key decisions that impact the health of the public?. Owing to these, I decided to expand beyond the traditional functions of dispensing drugs and health consumables but to pursue a non traditional career opportunities that are more patient oriented and involves public health functions.

VO: What are your plans after your study?

ME: I intend to come back to Nigeria after my studies, having garnered adequate research, practical and field knowledge and skills, it will enable me take up public health positions like monitoring and evaluation officer, epidemiologist etc from any public health non profit organizations like FHI 360, UNICEF, USAID , which are I high demand, thus improving the quality of life of people. Also, on a long term, I will love to establish my own community pharmacy and the skills and knowledge gained during my MPH studies, will also help me render qualitative, accessible and affordable healthcare services to people within my environs.

VO: I can see your aunt is sponsoring you? Why?

ME: Yea, she's one of the people that saw my huge passion for medicine and she encouraged me to go for it. She' sponsored me during my Bachelor's program and still wants to help advance my career.

VO: I will be approving your visa. Hands me a white paper.

ME: Thank you!!!!!!

I think your responses are apt.
How much is the total cost/deficit?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Amyfid12: 10:33am On May 23, 2019
Brown2Green:

$29,600
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Javanian: 10:55am On May 23, 2019
Visa approved today, Lagos Consulate. Fully funded, Ph.D in Computer science. UNT.

Was the very first person to arrive there. Not based in Lagos so I passed the night with my brother that stays at Ajah. He advised we leave early to beat the traffic so we left as early 3 a.m. despite my 7 a.m. appointment time and we got there around 4 a.m. Suffice to say, the stress of the previous days journey from Port Harcourt coupled with getting little sleep wore me out before the time for my scheduled appointment. 7 a.m finally came and we were ushered in. I was interviewed by an African American lady, probably the "notorious" one I hear about on this thread. Something funny happened before it got to my turn, the guy in front of me tried to run away from her. He tried to skip the line and move to the line adjacent to ours that had a middle aged white man as VO. The VO (middle aged white man) caught him, got up and went to report him to the African American lady and she asked that the guy be sent back to her. grin grin grin

It got to my turn.

VO: Good morning, Pass me your passport and I-20

Me: Passed it to her and her eyes went to the estimated costs part of the I-20, she glanced at the I-20 for about a minute and started typing

VO: So how did you find out about this school?

Me: I was looking for schools that had research labs in....(she cuts me off)

VO: So you found it online?

Me: Yes.

VO: what kind of research would you be working on?

Me: Educational Technologies for developing countries. Most of Today's breakthrough in Educational Technology were designed and built for developed countries with reliable and adequate power supply, stable internet connection and a very educated populace in mind. These advances in educational technology while very impressive are sometimes too expensive or not effective in developing countries that still face challenges of erratic power supply, slow and unreliable internet connections and lack of technical support. I am interested in researching ways in which education technology can be built to work effectively in developing countries by taking the challenges already existing technologies face in such countries into consideration and researching solutions that can surmount those challenges. The part in italics is the first paragraph of my SOP. I did NOT say it to her exactly like that but what I said was something similar. I didn't memorize it, I just said it the best I could.

She looked quite impressed

VO: So this schools does research in this area?

Me: yes, I would be working with professor X who already does some research in this area using Artificial Intelligence

VO: What would be your responsibilities as a research assistant?

Me: Write code for ongoing projects, simulation of software programs.....

VO: How many other schools did you apply to?

Me: 6

VO: Name them

Me: University of Saskatchewan, ETSU, BGSU, FSU, Stanford, Auburn University

VO: How many other American Universities accepted you?

Me: 3

VO: Name them

Me: Auburn, ETSU and BGSU

VO: What's your highest educational qualification?

Me: Bachelor's Degree

Vo; Have you traveled out of Nigeria before?

Me: No.

Vo: Do you have any relatives in the USA?

Me: No

VO: I will be approving your VISA, Pick up your passport at X location, bring your I-20 to the point of Entry...., We have a program in EducationUSA....Congratulations.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:00am On May 23, 2019
Can I send a pm
Brown2Green:

(1) (2) (3) ... (483) (484) (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.