Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,705 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (511) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (796234 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 6:44pm On May 30, 2019
Timm89:

Thanks man. For me it was quite brief. I guess i crammed my answers and found my self stuttering in my bid to remember my exact lines.

I also don't wanna rush to make another appointment, i actually want to know when it is safest to re-try knowing that appointment dates are fast becoming a struggle this days. Thanks again.

PM me let's talk about it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 30, 2019
keji157:

I had a 3rd class in my first degree and I did Boatny cos of my dad.

That is not a barrier. I have seen 3rd class people securing admission to different master's programs of their choice. It is not a problem at all

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ifesinachi22(m): 7:00pm On May 30, 2019
abike12:

your student status is only valid for the time you are a student. even if the visa is for 2 years, you are only a student for 7 months so either you get on OPT or return to Nigeria. it's one of those things that can cause issues for you if you try to adjust your status down the line because it will be seen as unlawful presence. do the right thing.

What is OPT please?
How do you mean your student for only 7 months on a 2 year F1?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by abike12(f): 7:02pm On May 30, 2019
Ifesinachi22:

What is OPT please?
How do you mean your student for only 7 months on a 2 year F1?

the OP said they have only 7 months of studying left, it was an F1 renewal. google OPT

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 30, 2019
AgreatMan:

Just as a side note, a lot of programs are starting to dump GRE and this standardized test myth might not hold water in a few years.

This is a graph of top 50 US schools. The percentage shows the number of programs who have dropped GRE requirements for their respective courses and that number is growing year over year.

If it's not pure madness, I don't see what someone going to study public admin is doing with GRE.

The exam doesn't correlate with ability to publish papers in graduate school; it doesn't account for the number of times a candidate wrote it; it also doesn't consider the financial constraints that applicant had while writing it. The more money u can through around on practice material, d better for u. all it does is get alot of Asian kids in who quite a lot of times don't look as bright as their GRE suggests when the heat is on.

This is not an excuse! We all know that life sciences programs are beginning to ditch the GRE. However, we have also instructed candidates here to take their tests for visa interview purposes even when their programs do not require them. Take the damn tests and tick the box when you appear for your interview. Do that and avoid unnecessary issues.

Public Admin does not require GRE? Hahaha, I laugh again! Good Public Admin programs in the US require GRE (or GMAT in some cases). I worked with candidates going for that program and good test scores was one of the huge requirements for admission and financial support.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 7:21pm On May 30, 2019
Nehemiah77:
Good day everyone.Thank you all for what you doing here. This trend is very informative,I've learnt a lot.

Please I have a question. The total cost of my Msc is 32,712(tuition:16,680 Living expenses:16,032) I got a GA(19,392. Full tuition waiver and little monthly stipends). I have a deficit of 13,330(4.7million naira). Can my uncle's SOA of 6million naira be sufficient to secure a visa?
Yes it sure can.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by solihp(f): 7:28pm On May 30, 2019
gbeje:
Hello,
Pls my I-20 is being held by Government Regulatory Agency in Lagos as indicated on UPS tracker since yesterday. What do I need to do?

You can recheck now, it should have been released.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nehemiah77: 7:43pm On May 30, 2019
Brown2Green:

Yes it sure can.

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by wissy47: 7:48pm On May 30, 2019
I want to pay Ms&t application fee but on the payment portal there is only option for credit card
1:- can I pay with my debit card (i.e will my master card debit card work as the credit card?)
PS: there is only credit card option

2:- Can anybody in the usa use his or her credit card to pay for me then i send them the naira equivalent?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Predstan: 8:01pm On May 30, 2019
wissy47:
I want to pay Ms&t application fee but on the payment portal there is only option for credit card
1:- can I pay with my debit card (i.e will my master card debit card work as the credit card?)
PS: there is only credit card option

2:- Can anybody in the usa use his or her credit card to pay for me then i send them the naira equivalent?

Use either a Gtb MasterCard or an AccessBank Visa Card. You can also try FirstBank or Zenith Bank. But for sure GTbank and Access bank will work. I used that to pay application fee in the Us and Europe
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by wissy47: 8:12pm On May 30, 2019
Predstan:

Use either a Gtb MasterCard or an AccessBank Visa Card. You can also try FirstBank or Zenith Bank. But for sure GTbank and Access bank will work. I used that to pay application fee in the Us and Europe
thanks
I have an Ecobank master card and Access Bank master do you think it will work?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Predstan: 8:13pm On May 30, 2019
wissy47:

thanks
I have an Ecobank master card and Access Bank master do you think it will work?

Try Access
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:32pm On May 30, 2019
Hi Guys, well done for all your contributions so far! My deficit is $27k and my SOA is carrying N15m. Is this okay for visa interview, please?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by martinz1: 8:37pm On May 30, 2019
please what time is this my appointment

is it in the morning or night,, 6:45 i dont understand
what time am i supposed to be there

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 30, 2019
martinz1:

is it in the morning or night, i dont understand
Morning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 8:39pm On May 30, 2019
D5000y:
Hi Guys, well done for all your contributions so far! My deficit is $27k and my SOA is carrying N15m. Is this okay for visa interview, please?
It is ok.
You got funding yeah?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by martinz1: 8:45pm On May 30, 2019
D5000y:
Morning
ok sir, but that time is somehow too early oo, getting there from my place
sorry for bodering you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ay10yahoocom(f): 8:58pm On May 30, 2019
martinz1:

It is definitely morning, if it's evening it will be 18.45

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Talksub(m): 8:58pm On May 30, 2019
Nehemiah77:
Good day everyone.Thank you all for what you doing here. This trend is very informative,I've learnt a lot.

Please I have a question. The total cost of my Msc is 32,712(tuition:16,680 Living expenses:16,032) I got a GA(19,392. Full tuition waiver and little monthly stipends). I have a deficit of 13,330(4.7million naira). Can my uncle's SOA of 6million naira be sufficient to secure a visa?

What school did you apply to and what course are you going for . How did you get your GA Assistant, I am also interested
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ay10yahoocom(f): 8:59pm On May 30, 2019
martinz1:

sorry for bodering you
15 mins to 7am is not too early.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 30, 2019
martinz1:

Get there as early as you can. You will see lots of people there even as early as 5.30am

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Javanian: 9:33pm On May 30, 2019
PythonLearner:

Yes Boss, I meant Ph.D. Thanks for replying me. I made 3.72 / 5 in a Federal University here in Nigeria. Is the conversion equivalent to what can me a direct Ph.D ?

A 3.72/5 would be above a 3/4 but less than 3.5/4. You should use the WES free iGPA calculator to check what your GPA evaluates to on a 4-point scale.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by AgreatMan: 9:34pm On May 30, 2019
bracelum:

This is not an excuse! We all know that life sciences programs are beginning to ditch the GRE. However, we have also instructed candidates here to take their tests for visa interview purposes even when their programs do not require them. Take the damn tests and tick the box when you appear for your interview. Do that and avoid unnecessary issues.

Public Admin does not require GRE? Hahaha, I laugh again! Good Public Admin programs in the US require GRE (or GMAT in some cases). I worked with candidates going for that program and good test scores was one of the huge requirements for admission and financial support.

I wonder why u usually see an opinion which differs from yours as a personal attack on you. I quoted the lady, I agreed with her point but as a side-note, I chipped in that the influence of the GRE is getting watered-down year after year. This means that the general belief that everyone must write standardized test will no longer hold true for some candidates.

There is no where I debated whether GRE is not a requirement for public admin, I only said it is madness for such students to be made to produce GRE. If schools are dropping GRE requirements for courses like computer science, chemistry and biology, what is public admin doing with GRE?

I am just making my comments on a current trend, which were backed with facts. I am not competing for who has the biggest mouth on Nairaland USA travel thread.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 30, 2019
Brown2Green:

It is ok.
You got funding yeah?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 30, 2019
martinz1:

sorry for bodering you
Best bet is to lodge close to the embassy. There are cheap hotels around obalende and it's just #100 keke to Water Carrington

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 10:24pm On May 30, 2019
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Anodyne(f): 10:42pm On May 30, 2019
bracelum:

You're welcome! Unfortunately, the laziness no want allow me to give you sample responses
I want to put a mail across, hope you don't mind?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 10:46pm On May 30, 2019
AgreatMan:

I wonder why u usually see an opinion which differs from yours as a personal attack on you. I quoted the lady, I agreed with her point but as a side-note, I chipped in that the influence of the GRE is getting watered-down year after year. This means that the general belief that everyone must write standardized test will no longer hold true for some candidates.

There is no where I debated whether GRE is not a requirement for public admin, I only said it is madness for such students to be made to produce GRE. If schools are dropping GRE requirements for courses like computer science, chemistry and biology, what is public admin doing with GRE?

I am just making my comments on a current trend, which were backed with facts. I am not competing for who has the biggest mouth on Nairaland USA travel thread.

GRE is a uniform platform used to measure students from different colleges and different grades. It will still be a requirement for competitive programs and competitive schools. If you check very well, most of those programs that are removing GRE as a requirements are either programs that are not well demanded or schools that do not receive many applications.

GRE/GMAT itself does not determine the success of students in graduate school, but they serve as a way of comparing students from different countries and different cultures. It will remain a strong requirement for competitive programs and competitive schools within the next few years, except they provide an alternative.

Some programs receive 10K applications for only 1K spots. How do you expect them to screen candidates? GPA alone is not enough because the quality of GPAs in different schools differ. For instance, a 3.4 GPA at Stanford is often stronger than a 3.8 GPA in some state colleges (this one is a different topic). So, the best way to evaluate all candidates is using an equivalent tool like test scores. Competivie programs will always need GRE/GMAT, except they introduce another way of screening candidates

@Bold: what are you trying to say? Are you trying to underrate public admin?

As for the insults, I will ignore them. I will take it as the lamentations of someone that is feeling intimidated.

I have no intention to intimidate you. If you feel intimidated, then work on your mindset because you're feeling insecure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 30, 2019
Anodyne:
I want to put a mail across, hope you don't mind?

Go on
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by JoeBazz(m): 10:55pm On May 30, 2019
Go through the link below and read about how GRE is becoming irrelevant year after year.

https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2019/05/wave-graduate-programs-drop-gre-application-requirement

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Yemi256: 11:36pm On May 30, 2019
Pls house, I have something bordering me ever since I booked an interview appointment. only my first and last name showed on my appointment form without the middle name as present on my DS-160 and passport. And it was stated to enter the values as stated in the DS-160 form and passport. What can I do abt this? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 11:39pm On May 30, 2019
JoeBazz:
Go through the link below and read about how GRE is becoming irrelevant year after year.

https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2019/05/wave-graduate-programs-drop-gre-application-requirement

Tell that to the VO

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.