Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,771 members, 7,851,633 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:01 AM

The Super Eagles, Shaibu Amodu And Karma - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Super Eagles, Shaibu Amodu And Karma (643 Views)

Shaibu Amodu Be Wise, Be Wise Or Your Tales Will Continue… / IK Uche Woos Coach Amodu Shaibu / Is This A Joke? Shaibu Amodu Includes Kayode Odejayi In Eagles Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Super Eagles, Shaibu Amodu And Karma by Mudley313: 4:00am On Jun 23, 2010
This is in response to the thread "I think Shaibu Amodu placed a Curse on the Eagles", and inadvertently, my own theory of the whole scenario.

I remember back in the days, after what was then Nigeria's worst ever world cup showing in 2002, reading an article of how karma was a contributing factor to the eagles poor showing. Prior, I was one of those back then who, like other never-satisfied-Nigerians, clamored for the dissolution of the then eagles who had just struggled to qualify to the world cup off of ghana helping us to defeat liberia 3-1 in their own home soil. We were still used to the old westerhof eagles cruising to the world cup effortlessly and counldn't phantom us "struggling" to make it. We never knew we should be just happy we made it instead of basking in the glory of the past. That same eagles "struggled" to third place at the following nations cup, losing only to a senegalese squad that prooved to be one of the best africa can offer owing to their outstanding quarter finals showing at the world cup. A third place showing at the nations cup and a world cup ticket was not enough for "us" never-satisfied-Nigerians, and we screamed "off with his head"; "this team was too old/slow/unpatriotic"; "amoudu is incompetent" etc. And then came Onigbinde, the glorified P.E teacher.

A few flash here and there in pre-world cup friendlies, and we all screamed "hosanna" to the new savior(?). And then came the world cup, and then came disaster, and reality started to set in. We began to miss the Oliseh's, Finidi's, Babangida's etc undermining all the rumors of an overtly influential mafia clique within the former team and cries of unpatriotism. And that was when I bumped across the newspaper article that described how karma was the overriding factor in the eagles disastrous showing. Imagine, you get an employee, give him a goal, he accomplishes the goal, and then you fire him. According to my akata brothers, where they do dat at?

Fast forward to 2010. The same amoudu, qualifies a less talented eagles to the world cup again (remember, we couldn't make it to the last world cup in germany, so it clearly aint that easy of a task) without losing a single game, takes the eagles to the same not-too-embarrasing third spot at the nations cup, losing to a young essien-less ghanian squad that has prooved to be one with the better performance (and the only african win thus far) in this world cup. And I began to hear the same "off with his head" shouts all over again. But this time, I was more cautious. I got into mostly unsuccessful arguments with friends who felt it was akin to madness to take amoudu to the world cup. I tried to be logical about it, citing amoudu's admirable win-loss record, the seeming luck on his side, all to no avail. But at the back of my mind, was that article I read just after the 2002 world cup. How can you fire someone who has just provided you with the desired result, regardless of how he did it, I wondered to myself. Is that not injustice? Is that not jumping to rash decisions in a moment of madness and at the cry of a never-satisfied nigerian soccer fan? I kept me fingers crossed, and watched the madness unfold. An oyinbo mercenary that barely knew the team was hired to reap where he did not sow, and the result is what we all are mourning today.

Borrowing another phrase from my akata brothers, "karma's a b.itch"
Re: The Super Eagles, Shaibu Amodu And Karma by 12large: 4:17am On Jun 23, 2010
karma ko coma ni. is it today that countries start to fire coaches, tomorrow now people would sey amodu have swear for us. if he had all these powers to control eagles future then why didn't his power keep him in his job.
Re: The Super Eagles, Shaibu Amodu And Karma by Mudley313: 4:28am On Jun 23, 2010
karma ko coma ni. is it today that countries start to fire coaches, tomorrow now people would sey amodu have swear for us. if he had all these powers to control eagles future then why didn't his power keep him in his job.

and do these countries fire coaches for achieving success? do you think this lagerbeer of a guy would have been able to qualify nigeria for the world cup? borrowing from palin, "and how's that white-skinned coach thingy working out for ya?". inferiority complex is a disease and you guys are reaping exactly what y'all sowed

by the way, try n work on your spelling/grammar. this aint middle school
Re: The Super Eagles, Shaibu Amodu And Karma by honeric01(m): 2:09pm On Jun 23, 2010
@Mudley313
God bless you, too bad i don't have time yet, i am still going to be rooting out all the post we made prior to this worldcup about not sacking Amodu and not employing a mercenary of a dullard, but they never cared to listen, they should all go hug wet transformer joor. grin
Re: The Super Eagles, Shaibu Amodu And Karma by Mudley313: 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2010
@Mudley313
God bless you, too bad i don't have time yet, i am still going to be rooting out all the post we made prior to this worldcup about not sacking Amodu and not employing a mercenary of a dullard, but they never cared to listen, they should all go hug wet transformer joor.

nor mind them jare. truth is, the NFF, lagerbeer, the superless fowls and WE THE FANS all deserve the result we got

(1) (Reply)

French Fa Boss Resigns -(lulu Stays Put Killing Our Football) / Wesley Sneijder: World Player Of The Year In Waiting? / Ghana Have Set An Example - Taiwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.