Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,255 members, 7,811,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location (13848 Views)

Directions To Igando / Help!!! Directions To Nysc Camp Lagos From Oshodi / Directions To Herbert Macaulay Way (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by AutoJoshNG: 10:16am On Aug 14, 2018
[img]https:///a/img921/6108/ZjjmtB.jpg[/img]

While I was growing up to officially “become a man”, finding my way around Lagos was a bit difficult. Even as an adult, there are still many people who find it difficult finding their way around, and this is not restricted to Lagos only, just about anywhere !.
I have heard about stories of people who embarked on journeys trying to locate a place and they never came back. Why ?, they most likely asked the wrong people, or didn’t take the safe approach.
Today, I would be sharing safe ways by which you can find directions to any location in the world .

Start From Home
The best and safest places to find and know directions to a place is to ask people you are already familiar with. Your family is a great start, your neighbours are also an excellent option. Just make sure that whoever is giving you direction is sure of what he/she is saying .If they don’t sound sure, ask two or more people(at home) and make sure all their directions are similar(some locations have multiple possible routes).

Ask In Forums
Online forums are very good places to ask for directions, you can’t be misled .If someone attempts to give you a wrong direction, most likely someone else would make a correction to the wrong information. This is one of the easiest and safest on the list.

Ask Police / Military / Traffic Men
Only ask pedestrians for directions, if there is no other choice. The best people to ask for directions on the road are police/military/traffic control men, they would be more than willing to help. I am speaking from experience, and yes , This is Nigeria .

Go To Motor Parks
We can’t deny the fact that Danfo drivers have Google Maps installed in their brains. They know just about anywhere. The precaution here is never ask by the road side, especially at night and early in the morning, some people have been kidnapped in this process. Go into the park and ask for directions !.

Stay safe, and be very careful who you ask for directions.

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/safe-ways-to-find-directions-to-any-location/

27 Likes

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by NothingDoMe: 10:52am On Aug 14, 2018
Ask police in Nigeria? My brother that it worked for you doesn't mean it will work for others.

20 Likes

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by pocohantas(f): 1:15pm On Aug 14, 2018
NothingDoMe:
Ask police in Nigeria? My brother that it worked for you doesn't mean it will work for others.

Let's not be quick to demonise our MIB. They're not all as bad, as we paint them, especially on matters like this. Most Nigerians see police officers and get angry immediately grin. They know this, they're humans too na. Approach them courteously, take a quick glance at his name and call him by his name, politely ask your question[s]. They'll give you a step by step direction, na you go weak sef. They are usually happy that one Nigerian likes them cheesy.

OP, using landmarks helps too. Is there a church close by, a hospital, university, a house that stands out...?etc.

36 Likes

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 14, 2018
pocohantas:

Let's not be quick to demonise our MIB. They're not all as bad, as we paint them, especially on matters like this. Most Nigerians see police officers and get angry immediately grin. They know this, they're humans too na. Approach them courteously, take a quick glance at his name and call him by his name, politely ask your question[s]. They'll give you a step by step direction, na you go weak sef. They are usually happy that one Nigerian likes them cheesy.

OP, using landmarks helps too. Is there a church close by, a hospital, university, a house that stands out...?etc.

You think everyone is fine chick in 2015 Edge with segzy voice?
That right there is naija privilege kiss kiss

Actually I often ask lastma.

Google maps is also great but it can take you into a one way.

1 Like

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by NothingDoMe: 3:13pm On Aug 14, 2018
pocohantas:

Lol. Sarcasm. Majority of those guys are the personification of disgruntment. In fact you might just end up at the receiving end of an unplanned interrogation session if you are not careful.

14 Likes

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by Mynd44: 4:42am On Aug 15, 2018
NothingDoMe:
Lol. Sarcasm. Majority of those guys are the personification of disgruntment. In fact you might just end up at the receiving end of an unplanned interrogation session if you are not careful.
False.

I have been doing this for the last 10 years. The trick is to be polite as it tends to knock them out.

Greet them, don't touch them or tap then to get attention, let your voice do that and don't grumble, use "please sir, I am going to xyz and I seem to have lost my way"

A lot of Nigerians are rude; very rude, you want to ask for directions yet will be botherline aggressive or maybe we just don't know how to be polite again.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:44am On Aug 15, 2018
Google maps does it for us these days!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by adedayoa2(f): 4:45am On Aug 15, 2018
Just ask those agberos, they'll direct you. That's for the Lagos peeps

3 Likes

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by manforgu: 4:47am On Aug 15, 2018
Kul
Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by adedayoa2(f): 4:48am On Aug 15, 2018
Mynd44:

False.

I have been doing this for the last 10 years. The trick is to be polite as it tends to knock them out.

Greet them, don't touch them or tap then to get attention, let your voice do that and don't grumble, use "please sir, I am going to xyz and I seem to have lost my way"

A lot of Nigerians are rude; very rude, you want to ask for directions yet will be botherline aggressive or maybe we just don't know how to be polite again.
I feel you, approach them well and don't go there calling out 'officer' rudely.

8 Likes

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by Nobody: 4:55am On Aug 15, 2018
If in Lagos Island and most places of Lagos mainland, use Google maps.
If asking people on the street, be careful who you ask and ask at least two different people before acting on the direction given.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by Simongm(m): 5:08am On Aug 15, 2018
Google maps and bike men(Okada guys) has been doing it for me. You can even pay the okada guy to lead the way while you follow him.

See my signature...

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by mctfopt: 5:14am On Aug 15, 2018
Google map still works! You can Waze an android app which is similar to Google map. Those things are pretty reliable when you are lost or looking for direction. People often underutilise their phone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by Yinxies(f): 5:17am On Aug 15, 2018
I ask for direction from friends who might know the place even before I leave my house.

In Lagos, people may think you are a fraudster or kidnapper...

2 Likes

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by fringz11(m): 5:20am On Aug 15, 2018
NothingDoMe:

the police is the best in situations like this, for the past weeks that I gave been in Lagos, the police and paramilitary have been my google map.

don't be quick to judge

1 Like

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by makazona(m): 5:27am On Aug 15, 2018
Mynd44:

False.

Your assertions are not entirely true. I have had an encounter with a team of policemen.

Just drove close and asked the first officer I saw but he insisted I must park. I was like OK let me park the other side since the 'shoulder' of the road was too bad. He flared up oo. And said I must park the way he instructed. I told him the place he asked to park will damage the car.

My quest to ask for direction turned to quarrel o. They said the car must be searched thoroughly (maybe just to delay me)

After much much, they forced me to pay 15000 for "insulting" a police officer.

And please, forget about the "know your right" thing. it doesn't work in Nigeria

Very terrible experience

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by dust144(m): 5:33am On Aug 15, 2018
Pls don't ask police for directions most of them are new in that area.

1 Like

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by HoodBillionaire: 5:35am On Aug 15, 2018
go ask the defunct sars
carry bag dey hold iphone

2 Likes

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by qanda: 5:35am On Aug 15, 2018
Ok
Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by spiritedtete: 5:37am On Aug 15, 2018
pocohantas:

An average Nigerian can't give direction... Instead of telling you how many meters or kilometres away...

They will be saying: pass here.. When u don reach that place turn left.. You go see one green house.. Go straight no branch oo.. If you branch na water dey there... Come back... Then you go see one girl Wey dey sell bread... Anyway once u don dey go ask anybody dem go direct you. eno far. Whyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Also why is it that an average Nigerian don't know how to hold conversation without insulting one another?

Everybody rushing to give a savage reply why?.

4 Likes

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by TheLoser: 5:38am On Aug 15, 2018
HoodBillionaire:
go ask the defunct sars
carry bag dey hold iphone
Yo Boss. Abeg No Vex
Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by BabaIbo: 5:40am On Aug 15, 2018
This reminds me of my experience in the north, mehn if you can speak the local language, na work for you that day.

1 Like

Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by qanda: 5:41am On Aug 15, 2018
Tested and confirmed ways, use Google search. If you are a Lagosian, ask a Bus conductor. If you are asking from a random person on the street, don't bother to greet, just ask, "please, how can I get to XYZ".
Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by lonelydora: 5:41am On Aug 15, 2018
Ask Police / Military / Traffic Men
Only ask pedestrians for directions, if there is no other choice. The best people to ask for directions on the road are police/military/traffic control men, they would be more than willing to help. I am talking from experience, and yes , This is Nigeria .

Exactly. These are the people i ask whenever i enter a new town
Re: Safe Ways To Find Directions To Any Location by uboma(m): 5:41am On Aug 15, 2018
post=70286133:
Google maps does it for us ......these days!

You are right.

Google map is a life saver.

For routes I am not familiar with, I always rely on Google map to lead me.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG To Certify Airlines Before Flights Resume / Fake Marriages In Ireland: Nigerians Involvement / Tanker Laden With Diesel Upturns Content On Apapa Road, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.