Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,973 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie (6157 Views)

Poll: Was Amodu's sack a mistake?

Yes: 40% (23 votes)
No: 59% (34 votes)
This poll has ended

Police Take Over Headquarters Of NFF Following Court Order Sacking Amaju Pinnick / Odemwingie Still Wants To Play For Nigeria / West Bromwich Coach Roy Hodgson Blasts Odemwingie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by 12large: 6:33am On Jun 23, 2010
Sacking Amodu was a mistake - Odemwingie
Posted: 2010-06-23 07:28

In a surprise turn-around, Osaze Odemwingie has said that it was a mistake to fire Shuaibu Amodu and replace him with Lars Lagerback.

Odemwingie was one of the players who spoke up against Amodu at the African Nations Cup in Angola, leading to the axing of the former BCC Lions coach.

But after a disastrous World Cup where Nigeria finished bottom of a winnable group with just one point out of nine, the Lokomotiv Moscow forward told KickOffNigeria.com that it was a mistake to fire Amodu.

"They should not have fired Amodu. I think that was a mistake," he said.

Odewmingie went on to say that Nigeria did not have a team good enough to challenge the best.

"To be honest, we don't have the team that can win the World Cup. If you go down to the roots, most of us, including myself, in our clubs we are not doing great.

"We are not like the big team we used to be, having players in the big clubs and coming here with the ambition to win the Cup. But definitely we could have done much better."

Odemwingie also criticised coach Lars Lagerback's selection and tactics, but says if the coach can learn from his mistakes, he would do better with the Super Eagles.

"I think the World Cup experience and being with us has given him some advantage over the next candidate.

"People learn from mistakes. If he takes the positives from this one and he feels good with working with Nigerian boys then yes, I think he should stay."
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by 12large: 6:36am On Jun 23, 2010
osaze your just talking rubbish, i understand why lagerback almost rendered you useless by playing you at a wrong position instead of right wing, but sacking amodu was not a mistake. the mistake was not hiring a good attacking coach but keeping lars is not even an option for me we need a nigerian coach that knows all our players from youth age because by keeping lars he would just call up the same players again like yak,yobo,utaka
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by 12large: 6:52am On Jun 23, 2010
quote from osaze odemwingie

From the first training, he is looking at attacking football. He is looking at a passing game. He is looking at the penetrating pass, a pass that creates danger, less square passes and more forward passes. He keeps reminding us that we have to play beautiful football and that results are also very important.

"At the same time, you can see that he doesn't want to play a game where Nigeria is scared of the opponent, any opponent."

Odemwingie says already the atmosphere in camp is different.

"You could feel it. You cannot deny it. Like our people say, oyibo na oyibo. There is a touch they add to Africans when they bring their ideas, their calculations, their tactics, their organisation, their way of being more effective on the field. That is going to be added for sure.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by AjanleKoko: 8:04am On Jun 23, 2010
Well . . . our boy Osaze is a Nigerian after all, and mustn't be denied his right to talk utter nonsense!
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Kx: 8:15am On Jun 23, 2010
Typical PDP,most of these players will be warmly welcome in PDP.

Just yesterday, oyibo na oyibo,
today, sacking amodu was a mistake?
must every player grant interviews??
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by tkb417(m): 9:07am On Jun 23, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Well . . . our boy Osaze is a Nigerian after all, and mustn't be denied his right to talk utter nonsense!
i used to respect and admire Osaze

i think right now, his middle name shd be useless

he contributed Zilch in this world cup

anuofia!!!
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by omar22(m): 9:55am On Jun 23, 2010
This guy is fool, he has lost all the respect I have for him, because he was dropped he decided to come out with this rubbish, if his to be learn you don’t talk ill about your ex manager, Lagerback might get a job at the club he plays for in Europe, and he would find himself being squeezed out, one minute you called Amodu incompetent now turning against your current manager, what would he do if Lagerback’s contract with the eagles is been extended? Their goes his international career…… I think he should engage his brain before he opens his mouth…

If he wasnt gREEDY we would have drawn the Argie game
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by 12large: 9:58am On Jun 23, 2010
how can you lose respect for him when we have a useless coach that plays players on the wrong place. osaze was excellent in his right winger position, he was nigeria best player, the only player that i taught could find a big club after world cup, but what do lars did, he carry useless sani keita put for right wing play osaze from left,center and all wrong position. the guy played 2 45 minutes game against argentina he was good but selfish
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by omar22(m): 10:10am On Jun 23, 2010
[quotehow can you lose respect for him when we have a useless coach that plays players on the wrong place. osaze was excellent in his right winger position, he was nigeria best player, the only player that i taught could find a big club after world cup, but what do lars did, he carry useless sani keita put for right wing play osaze from left,center and all wrong position. the guy played 2 45 minutes game against argentina he was good but selfish

I have never heard so much hog wog in my life,   Ozaze is a winger (1st) then Right winger (2nd) if Ozaze cannot play on both wings then he shouldnt be an international player,  Arjen Robben plays on both wings, Ribery both wings, C Ronaldo both wings/striker,  Messi is left footed played on the right,  He is just bitter that he doesnt get enough game time, every skill you have comes with great responsibilty,  I guess him being the HERO was his main concern against Argentina,
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by 12large: 10:37am On Jun 23, 2010
abeg worldcup is not time to start experimenting. even osaze played well on the left against argentina but that selfishness overshadowed everything. our already made inform right winger is turned to a support striker/left winger for a useless mallam like sani keita. omar22 may god punish you and lagerback, you don't need 3 months to know that keita is not a right winger
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by 12large: 10:47am On Jun 23, 2010
go and play messi on the left wing and see how he does, you have to play players to their strenght messi is left footer but he is not good at playing on the left, osaze is a right winger, was already playing there well then why should you change him for sani keita
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Riodiao(m): 11:08am On Jun 23, 2010
U cant build a world cup team in 1 month. Stupid he-Goat(osaze) . Ewu!
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by kingrhirhs(m): 11:17am On Jun 23, 2010
ESPNsoccernet: World Cup 2010

Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Odemwingie criticises Lagerback

Nigeria's Peter Odemwingie has lashed out at coach Lars Lagerback after Nigeria could only draw 2-2 with South Korea, eliminating them from the tournament.
Osaze Odemwingie claims Nigeria coach Lars Lagerback made mistakes. (GettyImages)

Odemwingie criticised the coach's tactical instructions and claimed that Lagerback didn't give him enough playing time at the World Cup.

"Three games, three losses," Odemwingie told KickOffNigeria.com. "I think a few things he did were big mistakes, such as telling two strikers not to participate in defending.

"I think that is a big mistake with Nigerian football when we have one defensive midfielder and one creative in front of him. All our middle was open and that was the problem we had against Greece.

"Today the instruction was that three people did not have to participate in defence. I think that also was a big mistake."

Odemwingie was reported to have erupted in the dressing room after the Greece loss, and explained that he had good reason to.

"Yeah, I said to him that there are some key players in this team that he didn't give enough playing time. And I was one of them. I said to him we have been here for a few years and we have qualified this team for the World Cup and he was putting us aside and it's not fair.

"Some of us like myself and Martins are leaders in this team and we have been making the difference for the country and we needed to get more playing time and more chances to play."

Odemwingie added: "They should not have fired [Shaibu] Amodu. I think that was a mistake."

Pls there is some sence in what he is saying.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by modupea: 11:20am On Jun 23, 2010
Na wa o.

Osaze in a wrong position? Abeg, I no gree.

He played this position against Argentina and it was not shown as wrong position.

He played the right wing against Greece and he was nowhere to be found. Maybe his haircut disturbed him.

I am disappointed by his interview as it shows that he is selfish and self centred.

I don't blame him, it is the system that causes all this wahala.

Well me I am not going to let his like mess up my watching the world cup.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by omar22(m): 11:24am On Jun 23, 2010
omar22 may god punish you and lagerback, you don't need 3 months to know that keita is not a right winger

You sound like someone who grew up on cow Milk

go and play messi on the left wing and see how he does,

The 2009 CL final Messi played in the Center whilst Samuel Eto played on the left,

Please tell me who scored and who won
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by bigbrovar: 11:26am On Jun 23, 2010
Osaze just confirmed what I have always said about the Eagles, The problem is not coaching. At least if anything Nigerians Got the foreign Coach we wanted.  Did he perform any better? He took the same boys Amodu took to the nation's cup and even played the same 433 formation amodu used. All this goes to show one thing. Amodu was just a scape goat for the deeper decay which is Nigerian Football. we have not made any progress in 8 years we are now bottom of the barrel and lack the players to bring us back to the golden days.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Youngichou(m): 11:27am On Jun 23, 2010
After they have lost ? He his saying this
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by texazzpete(m): 11:30am On Jun 23, 2010
kingrhirhs:

ESPNsoccernet: World Cup 2010

Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Odemwingie criticises Lagerback

Nigeria's Peter Odemwingie has lashed out at coach Lars Lagerback after Nigeria could only draw 2-2 with South Korea, eliminating them from the tournament.
Osaze Odemwingie claims Nigeria coach Lars Lagerback made mistakes. (GettyImages)

Odemwingie criticised the coach's tactical instructions and claimed that Lagerback didn't give him enough playing time at the World Cup.

"Three games, three losses," Odemwingie told KickOffNigeria.com. "I think a few things he did were big mistakes, such as telling two strikers not to participate in defending.

"I think that is a big mistake with Nigerian football when we have one defensive midfielder and one creative in front of him. All our middle was open and that was the problem we had against Greece.

"Today the instruction was that three people did not have to participate in defence. I think that also was a big mistake."

Odemwingie was reported to have erupted in the dressing room after the Greece loss, and explained that he had good reason to.

"Yeah, I said to him that there are some key players in this team that he didn't give enough playing time. And I was one of them. I said to him we have been here for a few years and we have qualified this team for the World Cup and he was putting us aside and it's not fair.

"Some of us like myself and Martins are leaders in this team and we have been making the difference for the country and we needed to get more playing time and more chances to play."

Odemwingie added: "They should not have fired [Shaibu] Amodu. I think that was a mistake."

Pls there is some sence in what he is saying.

Osaze is basically calling for a PDP arrangement in the National team - where 'leaders' and 'oldies' get the most play time. In short, it's demanding for a return of the Eagles 'mafia' and you're saying there's sense in what he's saying?
Thank God Osaze has confirmed my thoughts on the matter: Lars Lagerback is not a malleable pawn like Amodu who will be bent to the wishes of his players. Now i am even more keen on Lars retaining his job.

kingrhirhs:

Two losses and a draw, Mr. Osaze. So even a member of the team does not know the match results? What an unserious twit!

PS: @kingrhirhs
you really should know how to spell the word 'sense'.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by oisehumen(m): 11:31am On Jun 23, 2010
Am speechless sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad.
Medicine after death
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by larimo(m): 11:31am On Jun 23, 2010
Osaze has lost his fanbase in Naija with these outrageous comments. The game just ended yesterday and he is already talking to the press.

Truth be told, he had no impact in this squad. He did his bit in qualifying and the Nations Cup but thats it. If he is so good, why is he playing in Russia (and not even with the top side)? Utter disrespect for a coach, who in my opinion, did his best with the little time and limited resources (that is the players not his salary grin).

Truth be told, we did not have a squad that could compete. They were not fit; continually injured. Lagerback has done well in my opinion. The players cannot give what they don't have. All the goals we conceded came from errors or set pieces. No goal came from the run of play. That's not his fault.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by texazzpete(m): 11:33am On Jun 23, 2010
bigbrovar:

Osaze just confirmed what I have always said about the Eagles, The problem is not coaching. At least if anything Nigerians Got the foreign Coach we wanted.  Did he perform any better? He took the same boys Amodu took to the nation's cup and even played the same 433 formation amodu used. All this goes to show one thing. Amodu was just a scape goat for the deeper decay which is Nigerian Football. we have not made any progress in 8 years we are now bottom of the barrel and lack the players to bring us back to the golden days.

Sure you watched the World cup? Largerback employed 4-4-2, not 4-3-3.
You're whining about the 'deeper rot' and 'lack of players'. Who was the coach in place for much of the last 8 years you're referring to?
Ask yourself why a coach Amodu with a wealth of experience in the local league would fail to bring in any decent talent from the local league to bolster the team. Scapegoat my butt!
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by bisiaet: 11:34am On Jun 23, 2010
What is wrong with Osaze now? Pls can anybody just tell him to stay quiet orelse he will just get himself in more trouble thinking is speaking for somebody, he once faulted Amodu and now is talking about Amodu.

Pls Osazeeeeeee I beg you I am one of your fans dont involve yourself in this twisted issue remember you are dealing with Nigeria I mean the wolves NFF pls stay out of any contradictory statement. Peace
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by omar22(m): 11:41am On Jun 23, 2010
Ask yourself why a coach Amodu with a wealth of experience in the local league would fail to bring in any decent talent from the local league to bolster the team. Scapegoat my butt!

They dont have enough to bribe him, collecting between £15k-£20k from each player got in the way of Amodu's thinking, if you know that at each Nigerian game theirs a window for you to earn between £100k-£150k (with Ogunjobi and Co) then you could easily tell the local lads to F-off,
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Acidosis(m): 11:42am On Jun 23, 2010
This Man Is Saying Something Meaningful At The Wrong Time!
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by oisehumen(m): 11:44am On Jun 23, 2010
larimo:

Osaze has lost his fanbase in Naija with these outrageous comments. The game just ended yesterday and he is already talking to the press.

Truth be told, he had no impact in this squad. He did his bit in qualifying and the Nations Cup but thats it. If he is so good, why is he playing in Russia (and not even with the top side)? Utter disrespect for a coach, who in my opinion, did his best with the little time and limited resources (that is the players not his salary grin).

Truth be told, we did not have a squad that could compete. They were not fit; continually injured. Lagerback has done well in my opinion. The players cannot give what they don't have. All the goals we conceded came from errors or set pieces. No goal came from the run of play. That's not his fault.

U have hit the nail on the head.
GBAM! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Acidosis:

This Man Is Saying Something Meaningful At The Wrong Time!

Something meaningful ke? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Where have u been all these years?
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Jonwesley(m): 11:51am On Jun 23, 2010
This same guy complained that AMODU tactics was rubbish in the cup of nations, a criticism that lend credence to AMODU's sack. How come he is now complaining that sacking AMODU was a mistake. He is a greedy player who likes to immitate the likes of CRISTIANO RONALDO, and playing with his head looking down always.He is overated in the eagles. To me, the EAGLES are not good players. Just fringe players blocking the chance of other better players. If the under 21 youth team played this tournament in placed of the so called super eagles, they wld ve given a better representation. Look at YAKUBU AYEGBENI, he was just running about doing nothing but to break Nigerians heart yesterday.Haruna lukman shd be the only person taken from this crop of unintelligent players and the rest disbanded immediately.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by dfanthom(m): 12:04pm On Jun 23, 2010
sacking amodu might/might not have been a mistake, however his replacement has not done better. the length of time the coach & boys have stayed together shouldn't be an excuse as they all knew the prevailing conditions & consequences of not appreciating it.

osaze should STOP all his bickering & double-speak when things don't favour him. he should concentrate on being a better footballer rather than a misguided talkative.

Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by oisehumen(m): 12:06pm On Jun 23, 2010
Break which hearts?  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Eagles can never break my heart anymore.

See, the best way to absorb the imminent disappointments or heartbreaks  from the  bunch of lazy and unskillful  players we have is to assume they have already failed even before kicking a ball in any tournament.
This is the method i have been adopting for over 10 years and it has worked well.
Please, try it out.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by MELAA: 12:27pm On Jun 23, 2010
Pls nairalander i want to help  Osaze Odemwingie in withdrawing his statement " that it was a mistake to fire Shuaibu Amodu and replace him with Lars Lagerback" it was a slip of tongue. they woke him up from sleep when he made that statement, so accept my apology i believe he will not repeat it again.  cool

As one of your fans i wouldn't want any wrong statement about YOU.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Bavarian: 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2010
Oh my God! Osaze! Osaze! Osaze! I many time did I call you! comparing Amodu to Lagerbäck is like comparing garri & epa to pounded yam and correct egusi soup! Osaze, Amodu is not a good coach! don´t you want to make money proffessionally? Lars ´ll help you so better settle whatever scores you have with him! of course we all know he made some selections based upon the the time frame of preparations but he was right. Osaze! haaaa shocked
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by sayso: 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2010
Odemwingie,you are an Idiot,what happened to chances given out to you?have you not seen super sub in teams before.do you think plating ur hair will make you great.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Kabikala(m): 12:51pm On Jun 23, 2010
Osaze has no brain. He opens his mouth and words tumble out faster than his mental faculty can process. Don't be surprised tomorrow to hear him say Lagerback was the best thing to happen to the Super Eagles.
Osaze was already feeling cool because he made some impact in the qualifiers, so he now considers himself part of the mafia that must always get an automatic shirt.
I think Lagerback was just unlucky at this tournament. Amodu is a nonentity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Sure Pool Draws Is Ready For This Week / . / Nigeria Wins Bronze At U21 Beach Volleyball Championship In Cairo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.