Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,378 members, 7,812,098 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them (27845 Views)

43 Embarrassing Grammar Mistakes Even Smart People Make / 43 Embarrassing Grammar Mistakes Even Smart People Make / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Stycon(m): 3:14pm On Aug 14, 2018
Learnt from this piece and wanna share it with you guyz. I hope you find it useful too.

1. First come, first served

The proper way to write this expressions is "first come, first served," because the people in the scenario will be served in a specific order. The idiom is often mistakenly written as "first come, first serve."

2. Misplaced apostrophes

Adding "apostrophe 's'" to a noun indicates possession. A common area where people misuse apostrophes is with last names.

If your last name is Johnson and you want to invite people to a party, the invitation should read: "The Johnsons invite you to a summer soirée," not "The Johnson's invite you to a summer soirée."

3. i.e. and e.g.

These two abbreviations are often used interchangeably, but their meanings are different. I.e. is Latin for id est, which translates to "that is." Thus, i.e. should be used to clarify something.

It can informally be replaced with "in other words." "He is training for the marathon before work, i.e., he puts in over a dozen miles each morning."

E.g. is short for the Latin "exemplī grātiā," which means "for example."

"I've recently started cooking with local ingredients, e.g., tomatoes and corn."

4. Whet your appetite

This common phrase is often incorrectly written as "wet your appetite." "Whet" means to sharpen. Thus, "whet your appetite" is correct, as it indicates that you're sharpening, or prepping, your appetite to enjoy a meal.

5. Invite/invitation

Formally, "invite" is a verb, and "invitation" is a noun.
However, the English language is constantly evolving, and Merriam-Webster now allows for "invite" to be used as a noun as well.

Thus, both "I haven't responded to her invite yet" and "I haven't responded to her invitation yet" are correct, but the former may annoy some of your more grammar purist friends.

6. Pique your interest

People can often distinguish between the homophones "peek," which means "to look," and "peak," which refers to the top of a mountain or a similar shape.

However, "pique" is used in the phrase "pique your interest," because "pique" means to excite or energize. Thus, if something "piques your interest," that means that it excites you.

7. Brands and 'they'

A brand is a singular entity, thus is takes the pronoun "it." "Kleenex is my favorite brand because they have the softest tissues" is incorrect, since Kleenex is a singular noun.

The sentence should read, "Kleenex is my favorite brand because it has the softest tissues."

8. Piece or peace of mind?

As "peace" and "piece" are homophones, or words with different spellings and meanings that sound the same, be sure to use the correct spelling to be clear on your meaning. "Peace of mind" refers to serenity. To give someone a "piece of your mind" is to harshly express a concern.

9. Then/than

Another classic case of word misuse is between "then" and "than."

"Than" indicates comparison. "I have more time than you do."

"Then" is an adverb used to indicate time. "I had a meeting, and then I went to lunch."

10. Due diligence

To do your due diligence on something is to do a very thorough job. However, "due diligence" is often mistakenly written as "do diligence."

"He exercised due diligence in preparation for the case" is the correct, as it means that the subject went to great lengths to get ready.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/grammar-mistakes-almost-everyone-makes-2018-8?IR=T

78 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by loverboys: 5:09pm On Aug 14, 2018
Noted
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by ugybabe2020(f): 6:53pm On Aug 14, 2018
Stycon:
Learnt from this piece and wanna share it with you guyz. I hope you find it useful too.

The proper way to write this expressions is "first come, first served," because the people in the scenario will be served in a specific order. The idiom is often mistakenly written as "first come, first serve."

2. Misplaced apostrophes

Adding "apostrophe 's'" to a noun indicates possession. A common area where people misuse apostrophes is with last names.

If your last name is Johnson and you want to invite people to a party, the invitation should read: "The Johnsons invite you to a summer soirée," not "The Johnson's invite you to a summer soirée."

3. i.e. and e.g.

These two abbreviations are often used interchangeably, but their meanings are different. I.e. is Latin for id est, which translates to "that is." Thus, i.e. should be used to clarify something.

It can informally be replaced with "in other words." "He is training for the marathon before work, i.e., he puts in over a dozen miles each morning."

"I've recently started cooking with local ingredients, e.g., tomatoes and corn."

4. Whet your appetite

This common phrase is often incorrectly written as "wet your appetite." "Whet" means to sharpen. Thus, "whet your appetite" is correct, as it indicates that you're sharpening, or prepping, your appetite to enjoy a meal.

5. Invite/invitation

However, the English language is constantly evolving, and Merriam-Webster now allows for "invite" to be used as a noun as well.

Thus, both "I haven't responded to her invite yet" and "I haven't responded to her invitation yet" are correct, but the former may annoy some of your more grammar purist friends.

6. Pique your interest

People can often distinguish between the homophones "peek," which means "to look," and "peak," which refers to the top of a mountain or a similar shape.

However, "pique" is used in the phrase "pique your interest," because "pique" means to excite or energize. Thus, if something "piques your interest," that means that it excites you.

7. Brands and 'they'

A brand is a singular entity, thus is takes the pronoun "it." "Kleenex is my favorite brand because they have the softest tissues" is incorrect, since Kleenex is a singular noun.

The sentence should read, "Kleenex is my favorite brand because it has the softest tissues."

As "peace" and "piece" are homophones, or words with different spellings and meanings that sound the same, be sure to use the correct spelling to be clear on your meaning. "Peace of mind" refers to serenity. To give someone a "piece of your mind" is to harshly express a concern.

9. Then/than

"Then" is an adverb used to indicate time. "I had a meeting, and then I went to lunch."

10. Due diligence

To do your due diligence on something is to do a very thorough job. However, "due diligence" is often mistakenly written as "do diligence."

"He exercised due diligence in preparation for the case" is the correct, as it means that the subject went to great lengths to get ready.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/grammar-mistakes-almost-everyone-makes-2018-8?IR=T

Hey lalastica, does this worth more views?
tout and lout

3 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by exynos(m): 10:50pm On Aug 14, 2018
Brilliant

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by GREATESTPIANIST: 8:22am On Aug 15, 2018
Nice one op...... Its good to speak good english
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Davidfash10000: 8:23am On Aug 15, 2018
Hmm
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by GREATESTPIANIST: 8:23am On Aug 15, 2018
ugybabe2020:
tout and lout
must u quote it all

11 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by odehman: 8:24am On Aug 15, 2018
We learn every day

Watch American say if you want to succeed get out of naija

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVM9CBVgcV4
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by pansophist(m): 8:25am On Aug 15, 2018
I spotted at least five grammatical mistakes from this write-up. Even English teacher too thus make mistakes. Damn

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by addikt(m): 8:25am On Aug 15, 2018
See, Limme Jare undecided
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by abumoney(m): 8:26am On Aug 15, 2018
Biko, how do I use these grammar to collect money from the bank?
Grammar or no grammar, business men are making millions of profits daily, stay there and be speaking grammar.
Who grammar epp?!

7 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Femocher(m): 8:26am On Aug 15, 2018
Nice one
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by zicoraads: 8:26am On Aug 15, 2018
Lol.

Grammar! The bane of all English buffs. cheesy
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by angelawoko(m): 8:28am On Aug 15, 2018
"Whet your appetite". I am seeing this corect form for the first time. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 15, 2018
So, how Will this help my brokeness?
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by TruthHurts100: 8:28am On Aug 15, 2018
Stycon:

2. Misplaced apostrophes

3. i.e. and e.g.

I.e means In Essence

E.g means Example Given

4. Whet your appetite

5. Invite/invitation

6. Pique your interest

7. Brands and 'they'

9. Then/than

10. Due diligence

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Rayboss(m): 8:28am On Aug 15, 2018
Nice one, there's always something new to learn in English..
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 15, 2018
I came to your house but you didn't dey grin

14 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by tetralogyfallot(m): 8:29am On Aug 15, 2018
Thanks
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by flames01: 8:30am On Aug 15, 2018
Stycon:

2. Misplaced apostrophes

3. i.e. and e.g.

4. Whet your appetite

5. Invite/invitation

6. Pique your interest

7. Brands and 'they'

9. Then/than

10. Due diligence

How will you say "almost everybody" makes the mistakes you listed? How can somebody mix "then" with "than?" Because you roll with dumb people most times doesn't mean almost everybody is dumb.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by ruffhandu: 8:31am On Aug 15, 2018
Not me.
No.4? I just learnt that. Thanks op.
Do people interchange then and than? (no.9). What for? How?
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Aspireahead(m): 8:34am On Aug 15, 2018
pansophist:
I spotted at least five grammatical mistakes from this write-up. Even English teacher too thus mistakes. Damn
read your own post too and spot the mistakes you made

4 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Nobody: 8:44am On Aug 15, 2018
Aspireahead:
Even yours is filled with it.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by aventura: 8:47am On Aug 15, 2018
Aspireahead:
Sir, I think you should also check yours. Tenks cheesy
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Aspireahead(m): 8:53am On Aug 15, 2018
aventura:
Sir, I think you should also check yours. Tenks cheesy
check fire

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) / Bowen University Students Who Fought, Sent Out Of Their Hostel (Photos) / Riot At University Of Agriculture Makurdi After An Accident (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.