Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them (27860 Views)

43 Embarrassing Grammar Mistakes Even Smart People Make / 43 Embarrassing Grammar Mistakes Even Smart People Make / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:56am On Aug 15, 2018
Fight go soon start now on top another man's language. Speak incorrect grammar, as long as I understand you, I have no problem with you.
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by dingbang(m): 9:00am On Aug 15, 2018
Grammarnazi1 take note
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by bakila: 9:03am On Aug 15, 2018
Due diligence has evolved to mean steps to take to avoid danger, especially in commerce and matters of liability. There is something called registers, in use of English..
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 15, 2018
grin "Let me come and be going".
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Gmajor(m): 9:11am On Aug 15, 2018
Stycon:
Learnt from this piece and wanna share it with you guyz. I hope you find it useful too.

1. First come, first served

The proper way to write this expressions is "first come, first served," because the people in the scenario will be served in a specific order. The idiom is often mistakenly written as "first come, first serve."

2. Misplaced apostrophes

Adding "apostrophe 's'" to a noun indicates possession. A common area where people misuse apostrophes is with last names.

If your last name is Johnson and you want to invite people to a party, the invitation should read: "The Johnsons invite you to a summer soirée," not "The Johnson's invite you to a summer soirée."

3. i.e. and e.g.

These two abbreviations are often used interchangeably, but their meanings are different. I.e. is Latin for id est, which translates to "that is." Thus, i.e. should be used to clarify something.

It can informally be replaced with "in other words." "He is training for the marathon before work, i.e., he puts in over a dozen miles each morning."

E.g. is short for the Latin "exemplī grātiā," which means "for example."

"I've recently started cooking with local ingredients, e.g., tomatoes and corn."

4. Whet your appetite

This common phrase is often incorrectly written as "wet your appetite." "Whet" means to sharpen. Thus, "whet your appetite" is correct, as it indicates that you're sharpening, or prepping, your appetite to enjoy a meal.

5. Invite/invitation

Formally, "invite" is a verb, and "invitation" is a noun.
However, the English language is constantly evolving, and Merriam-Webster now allows for "invite" to be used as a noun as well.

Thus, both "I haven't responded to her invite yet" and "I haven't responded to her invitation yet" are correct, but the former may annoy some of your more grammar purist friends.

6. Pique your interest

People can often distinguish between the homophones "peek," which means "to look," and "peak," which refers to the top of a mountain or a similar shape.

However, "pique" is used in the phrase "pique your interest," because "pique" means to excite or energize. Thus, if something "piques your interest," that means that it excites you.

7. Brands and 'they'

A brand is a singular entity, thus is takes the pronoun "it." "Kleenex is my favorite brand because they have the softest tissues" is incorrect, since Kleenex is a singular noun.

The sentence should read, "Kleenex is my favorite brand because it has the softest tissues."

8. Piece or peace of mind?

As "peace" and "piece" are homophones, or words with different spellings and meanings that sound the same, be sure to use the correct spelling to be clear on your meaning. "Peace of mind" refers to serenity. To give someone a "piece of your mind" is to harshly express a concern.

9. Then/than

Another classic case of word misuse is between "then" and "than."

"Than" indicates comparison. "I have more time than you do."

"Then" is an adverb used to indicate time. "I had a meeting, and then I went to lunch."

10. Due diligence

To do your due diligence on something is to do a very thorough job. However, "due diligence" is often mistakenly written as "do diligence."

"He exercised due diligence in preparation for the case" is the correct, as it means that the subject went to great lengths to get ready.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/grammar-mistakes-almost-everyone-makes-2018-8?IR=T

I have a question about the second point your raised.
What if the persons name ends with an s like say Moses, where are you supposed to place the apostrophe
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Stycon(m): 9:13am On Aug 15, 2018
flames01:

How will you say "almost everybody" makes the mistakes you listed? How can somebody mix "then" with "than?" Because you roll with dumb people most times doesn't mean almost everybody is dumb.

You are welcome
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Elliot2(m): 9:14am On Aug 15, 2018
angelawoko:
"Whet your appetite". I am seeing this corect form for the first time. Thanks for shearing.
shearing? sharing?
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by megareal: 9:17am On Aug 15, 2018
These are elementary words now. I've known these and more before I was ten. undecided

Argue with yourself. cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Checked86: 9:19am On Aug 15, 2018
flames01:

How will you say "almost everybody" makes the mistakes you listed? How can somebody mix "then" with "than?" Because you roll with dumb people most times doesn't mean almost everybody is dumb.
people do actually. Mostly Americans. i have read many facebook post and comments that misused the two words. Frankly, I haven't seen a sane Nigerian make such mistake.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by kuffy05(m): 9:25am On Aug 15, 2018
Nice 1
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Checked86: 9:26am On Aug 15, 2018
Gmajor:

I have a question about the second point your raised.
What if the persons name ends with an s like say Moses, where are you supposed to place the apostrophe
Just write it as it is if the name carried 's'. But when you are talking about possession, you have to put the apostrophe but after the "s". E.g: Those aren't mine, they are Moses'. Nairaland is James' favorite forum. Moses's is not correct.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 15, 2018
undecided Open the windows let the atmosphere come in
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by IsraelSongz: 9:31am On Aug 15, 2018
pansophist:
I spotted at least five grammatical mistakes from this write-up. Even English teacher too thus make mistakes. Damn

Enlighten us by listing them or shut the hell up and learn!.
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Doctus(m): 9:32am On Aug 15, 2018
ugybabe2020:
tout and lout
lout is Agbero(area boys) tout is a type of plant abi?
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Tonymario58: 9:35am On Aug 15, 2018
Op your number 1 should be
Am / I'm
e.g Am coming
I'm coming
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Bigwin2018: 9:49am On Aug 15, 2018
loverboys:
Noted
thanks.
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Bigwin2018: 9:50am On Aug 15, 2018
Stycon:
Learnt from this piece and wanna share it with you guyz. I hope you find it useful too.

The proper way to write this expressions is "first come, first served," because the people in the scenario will be served in a specific order. The idiom is often mistakenly written as "first come, first serve."

2. Misplaced apostrophes

Adding "apostrophe 's'" to a noun indicates possession. A common area where people misuse apostrophes is with last names.

If your last name is Johnson and you want to invite people to a party, the invitation should read: "The Johnsons invite you to a summer soirée," not "The Johnson's invite you to a summer soirée."

3. i.e. and e.g.

These two abbreviations are often used interchangeably, but their meanings are different. I.e. is Latin for id est, which translates to "that is." Thus, i.e. should be used to clarify something.

It can informally be replaced with "in other words." "He is training for the marathon before work, i.e., he puts in over a dozen miles each morning."

E.g. is short for the Latin "exemplī grātiā," which means "for example."

"I've recently started cooking with local ingredients, e.g., tomatoes and corn."

4. Whet your appetite

This common phrase is often incorrectly written as "wet your appetite." "Whet" means to sharpen. Thus, "whet your appetite" is correct, as it indicates that you're sharpening, or prepping, your appetite to enjoy a meal.

5. Invite/invitation

Formally, "invite" is a verb, and "invitation" is a noun.
However, the English language is constantly evolving, and Merriam-Webster now allows for "invite" to be used as a noun as well.

Thus, both "I haven't responded to her invite yet" and "I haven't responded to her invitation yet" are correct, but the former may annoy some of your more grammar purist friends.

6. Pique your interest

People can often distinguish between the homophones "peek," which means "to look," and "peak," which refers to the top of a mountain or a similar shape.

However, "pique" is used in the phrase "pique your interest," because "pique" means to excite or energize. Thus, if something "piques your interest," that means that it excites you.

7. Brands and 'they'

A brand is a singular entity, thus is takes the pronoun "it." "Kleenex is my favorite brand because they have the softest tissues" is incorrect, since Kleenex is a singular noun.

The sentence should read, "Kleenex is my favorite brand because it has the softest tissues."

As "peace" and "piece" are homophones, or words with different spellings and meanings that sound the same, be sure to use the correct spelling to be clear on your meaning. "Peace of mind" refers to serenity. To give someone a "piece of your mind" is to harshly express a concern.

9. Then/than

"Than" indicates comparison. "I have more time than you do."

"Then" is an adverb used to indicate time. "I had a meeting, and then I went to lunch."

10. Due diligence

To do your due diligence on something is to do a very thorough job. However, "due diligence" is often mistakenly written as "do diligence."

"He exercised due diligence in preparation for the case" is the correct, as it means that the subject went to great lengths to get ready.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/grammar-mistakes-almost-everyone-makes-2018-8?IR=T

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Bimpe29: 9:50am On Aug 15, 2018
Noted with thanks, but there can never be a time without grammatical errors in English language.
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by pansophist(m): 9:56am On Aug 15, 2018
IsraelSongz:

Enlighten us by listing them or shut the hell up and learn!.

Here you go.

The proper way to write[b] this expressions[/b] is "first come, first served," because the people in the scenario will be served in a specific order. The idiom is often mistakenly written as "first come, first serve."

The correct sentence construction of the emboldened should be ''this expression'', or ''these expressions''. It is grammatically incorrect to precede plural noun with a single pronoun determiner.

7. Brands and 'they'

A brand is a singular entity, thus[b] is[/b] takes the pronoun "it." "Kleenex is my favorite brand because they have the softest tissues" is incorrect, since Kleenex is a singular noun.

''it'' not ''is''.

As "peace" and "piece" are[b] homophones, [/b]or words with different spellings and meanings that sound the same, be sure to use the correct spelling to be clear on your meaning. "Peace of mind" refers to serenity. To give someone a "piece of your mind" is to harshly express a concern.

The comma after the plural noun ''homophones'' is redundant, making the true context of the authors point to be misinterpreted.

9. Then/than

The word ''than'' is both a conjunction and a preposition. Perhaps, the author could have passed his point succinctly by indicating which of the ''than'' he is referring to. This is not an issue for advanced/proficient users, albeit, it is necessary to infer if the idea is to teach others.

Made myself clear? cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by clitlicker: 10:04am On Aug 15, 2018
tried to sit on a seat. A girl tried convincing me the space is already taken she said:

" WE ARE TWO" cheesy
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Skyeplus(m): 10:20am On Aug 15, 2018
one bottle of beer for u

pansophist:

Here you go.

The correct sentence construction of the emboldened should be ''this expression'', or ''these expressions''. It is grammatically incorrect to precede plural noun with a single pronoun determiner.

''it'' not ''is''.

The comma after the plural noun ''homophones'' is redundant, making the true context of the authors point to be misinterpreted.

The word ''than'' is both a conjunction and a preposition. Perhaps, the author could have passed his point succinctly by indicating which of the ''than'' he is referring to. This is not an issue for advanced/proficient users, albeit, it is necessary to infer if the idea is to teach others.

Made myself clear? cool
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by sunnyphem(m): 10:27am On Aug 15, 2018
check my profile for better Data price packages
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Empredboy(m): 10:27am On Aug 15, 2018
You can't use "and then " together. It's either "and" or "then". E.g I went to school this morning then the our teacher gave us a test.
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by joyfullyjoyous(f): 10:49am On Aug 15, 2018
1. I'm and am.
I'm has the subject and verb
While am can't start a sentence.
E.g. Say " I'm good"
Do not say "Am good"

2. Its fur
Its eyes(for animals or non living things)
N
It is nice or it's nice.
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 15, 2018
Finally learnt something today..."WHET your appetite"
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by fof1: 11:58am On Aug 15, 2018
flames01:

SHUT UP AND QUIT D SCENE. STUPIDITY RUNS IN UR VEINS. IGNORANCE SURROUNDS UR ACCLAIMED NOLEZ AS FOOLS DIE SEVERAL TIMES B4 THEIR TIME. PRIDE THAT IS EMPTY IS NOT SEEN IN PUBLIC GLARE...
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by ladenz(m): 1:16pm On Aug 15, 2018
AmiciLord:
I came to your house but you didn't dey grin

I deyed with Nkechi in the backyard, you didn't checked well cheesy
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by ladenz(m): 1:21pm On Aug 15, 2018
angelawoko:
"Whet your appetite". I am seeing this corect form for the first time. Thanks for shearing.

Alan Shearer lomo wink

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by Cashio(m): 1:39pm On Aug 15, 2018
more than 70% of Nigerians misuse "AM" for "I Am"
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by flames01: 2:20pm On Aug 15, 2018
fof1:

SHUT UP AND QUIT D SCENE. STUPIDITY RUNS IN UR VEINS. IGNORANCE SURROUNDS UR ACCLAIMED NOLEZ AS FOOLS DIE SEVERAL TIMES B4 THEIR TIME. PRIDE THAT IS EMPTY IS NOT SEEN IN PUBLIC GLARE...

Are you trying to expose how your parents guzzled on stupidity on a daily basis? Or maybe you want to tell is the story of your homegrown thoughtlessness and emptiness? Or is it about the generational curse that have characterised the useless life of everyone ever sired in your accursed home? Please kindly clarify.
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by IsraelSongz: 2:38pm On Aug 15, 2018
pansophist:

Here you go.

''it'' not ''is''.

Made myself clear? cool

*Smiles. Yes Bro. I've learnt. Thanks.
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them by professore(m): 8:09pm On Aug 15, 2018
The Johnsons sure.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU To Go On One-month Warning Strike / Nigerian, Oyin Olukotun, Graduates With First Class From Cambridge University / Top 10 Most Competitive Courses In Nigeria Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.