Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,932 members, 7,952,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:21 PM

Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: (19841 Views)

Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) / Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by Sauron1: 8:46pm On Jun 28, 2010
funkybaby:

I cant really place a figure but i think 2million naira (excluding Sunny Ade's perfomance fee  grin grin grin grin) should be enough for a decent and modest traditional wedding.

It depends really on what the couple wants/what the family wants. . . .

some families will prefer a low key wedding. will some will want it done in an extravagant way.

However, i think number 1 (introduction) should not cost too much. This is because it is more like hosting a 'house party' for 20 people.

Number 2 (engagement) might be a little pricey . . . . depending on the venue. Costs of good halls in lagos are high but if it is going to be held at the bride's parents place, then that cost is out of the picture.

I think it is the wedding reception that gulps the highest sum of money

Thanx for the info!!
Make i go find Igbo babe wey i go marry.
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by funkybaby(f): 8:55pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Sauron~:

Thanx for the info!!
Make i go find Igbo babe wey i go marry.

Okay. Goodluck grin

Just a quick hint : Prepare to pay heavily for her bride price.

You might be given 20sticks of broom. Each stick representing 200,000 naira. grin grin grin
Also prepare to pay for the attire her parents, siblings, grandma, grandapa, etc will wear to the wedding.

You are bearing the entire 100percent cost of the wedding grin grin
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by Sauron1: 9:07pm On Jun 28, 2010
funkybaby:

Okay. Goodluck grin
Just a quick hint : Prepare to pay heavily for her bride price.

You might be given 20sticks of broom. Each stick representing 200,000 naira. grin grin grin
Also prepare to pay for the attire her parents, siblings, grandma, grandapa, etc will wear to the wedding.

[b]You are bearing the entire 100percent [/b]cost of the wedding grin grin

That's no problem. . . .
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by Sangman(m): 9:16pm On Jun 28, 2010
This a enlightening topic, I hope that more folks will share their experiences. I grew up in the States, and of late have been entertaining the idea of marrying a Nigerian lady. But all the "extra" stuff involved (like traditional marriage, bride price, etc) all seem a little daunting. Or maybe I've just been misinformed,
Carry on,
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by funkybaby(f): 9:51pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Sauron~:

That's no problem. . . .

come back here jo cheesy

you should keep it within the west wink
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by Sauron1: 9:53pm On Jun 28, 2010
funkybaby:

come back here jo cheesy

you should keep it within the west wink

U are the only option i have got in the West.
Since you won't marry me. . . . . .The West can rot for all i care.
Eastside till i dieeeeeeeee. grin
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by funkybaby(f): 10:31pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Sauron~:

U are the only option i have got in the West.
Since you won't marry me. . . . . .The West can rot for all i care.
Eastside till i dieeeeeeeee. grin

Alright . . . . . .

I will reconsider your proposal

so you know: 2010 range rover sport HSE is number one on my 'engagement list' oh grin
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by dayokanu(m): 11:03pm On Jun 28, 2010
^^ You mean the picture or the real car itself?
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by birdman(m): 1:36am On Jun 29, 2010
^^^ I tire o!. dis kin engagement request fit give bachelor heart attack cry
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by Nobody: 3:13am On Jun 29, 2010
dayokanu:

grin

funkybaby:

this is how i know yoruba traditional wedding is done [s]and it is also how i want mine done as well [/s]  grin

1. Introduction
After bobo has proposed and i have accepted and both families have been informed, he will decide a date to bring his family (no more than 10, his father inclusive) to come to my parent's house for a formal introduction. Naturally, they are not to come empty handed. They are to come with little gifts (usually fruits, big bunches of plantain, etc)

This will be a 'sitting room' gathering. No 'aso ebis', 'live band' and the likes. Now this introduction will consist of nicely prepared meals where both families will exchange banter and eat together and my bobo's dad will inform my dad that his son wants to marry me and they are in full support of his son's decision. My dad will then inform them of the likely date/month the formal engagement will hold.

When they are about to leave, my 'in laws' to be will be given gifts from my folks (prolly fruits, drinks, etc).

The 'engagement list' will be sent to my bobo's family later. The list is usually complied after consultations within my family/extended family. Each family has their own requirements. For example, my dad will never ask for schnapps or dry gin. While some family, it is complusory.

2. Engagement
For this, friends and family will be invited. Venue might be my parent's house or a rented hall. Bobo and I will wear 'aso-ebi'. There will be 'alaga duro'.
During the engagement ceremony, bobo prostrates to the bride's parents as demanded by yoruba tradition.There is the usual drama of bride price which is usually a little token. Few collect it, and most do not. Usual line is that they are not selling their daughter. 
Bobo gives me ring, we cut a little ceremonial cake and share a few kisses in the full glare of our parents  grin
Bobo's family also presents what was required in the engagement list.

There will be a live musical band. Dancing and spraying of naira notes grin

3. Church wedding
Exchange of vows in God's temple

4. Reception
After party. Plenty food, drinks, souvenirs, etc

5. After party at the groom's family home
Depends largely on the groom's family. Some will have a small party welcoming the bride to their family. Others will do it in a big way. . . . . Live band with Sunny Ade or KWAM 1 jamming all night  grin
funkybaby:

I cant really place a figure but i think 2million naira (excluding Sunny Ade's perfomance fee  grin grin grin grin) should be enough for a decent and modest traditional wedding.

some families will prefer a low key wedding. will some will want it done in an extravagant way.

However, i think number 1 (introduction) should not cost too much. This is because it is more like hosting a 'house party' for 20 people.

Number 2 (engagement) might be a little pricey . . . . depending on the venue. Costs of good halls in lagos are high but if it is going to be held at the bride's parents place, then that cost is out of the picture.

Sometimes, I just feel sorry for Yoruba men shocked grin

And yet they have the money to go find wife #2 and #3.
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by funkybaby(f): 12:30pm On Jun 29, 2010
dayokanu:

Both grin

birdman:

^^^ I tire o!. dis kin engagement request fit give bachelor heart attack cry

Sauron is not complaining

'mr capable' lo'mo grin
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by spicy007(f): 1:15pm On Jun 29, 2010
dont be scared o, all you Yoruba husbands-to-be,
for the 21st century couple,
the guy doesnt pay so much for the wedding.
its the settling down that gulps the funds
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by abiola4rea: 3:09pm On Jun 29, 2010
my dear, you ask a very good question, because what you don't know you need to ask, but my answer to your question is that you should try and google it out because every answers to every questions are on google, by the time you search you will find the right answer, i think i do well?, you can also give me your wedding invitation so as to know the kind of BABARIGA and KEMBE strouser which i will put on@lol
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by tpiah: 3:26pm On Jun 29, 2010
^^is this sarcasm or something.

i dont get it.

Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by NaijaSisi(f): 11:22am On Jun 30, 2010
wow thank u guys soo much for your help, its much appreciated kiss smiley
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by NaijaSisi(f): 11:27am On Jun 30, 2010
abiola4rea:

my dear, you ask a very good question, because what you don't know you need to ask, but my answer to your question is that you should try and google it out because every answers to every questions are on google, by the time you search you will find the right answer,

trust me ive tried that already but was not helpful enough so i thought let me ask my beloved fellow naijarians, as i was sure i would get more help from here and i did cheesy, so thanks again guys! cheesy
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by donpaulo(m): 3:52pm On Jun 30, 2010
could anyone also help me out here?
i would very much appreciate to know about the Igbos'.
starting from the Intro, 1st, 2nd and 3rd visits, etc.
thanks
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by hackney(m): 8:10pm On Jun 30, 2010
^^^^ 2nd and 3rd visits?? why?.
I tire oo!!
If na so how person go dey do visits like water from here?
this marriage palaver sha.
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by AndreUweh(m): 10:44pm On Jun 30, 2010
funkybaby:

I cant really place a figure but i think 2million naira (excluding Sunny Ade's perfomance fee grin grin grin grin) should be enough for a decent and modest traditional wedding.

Not only the Igbo can be insulted for selling their daughters. I think all the southern Nigerian groups do the same thing.
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by topup: 5:37am On Jul 05, 2010
Thanks Naija-Sisi for asking this question, a lot of Nigerians don't know what is involved in the process let alone why they are doing what they are doing. I like tpiah's explanation. Some would like to elaborate, but it basically outlines the overall stucture of the whole thing, you can afford to go as extravagant or practical as your budgets and the families see fit.

You have to go into it full-heartedly, you can't just half- do it, like everything Nigerian, it's much better when you put all of you into it.
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by uglybetty: 12:28pm On Jul 07, 2010
ask you grandmother, aunties and uncles back home.
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by MissFeferity: 7:52am On Jul 25, 2013
For anyone looking for a comprehensive step by step overview of the Yoruba Wedding Ceremony, then check out this page http://www.weddingfeferity.com/traditional-nigerian-wedding-pictures/yoruba-traditional-wedding-ceremony-igbeyawo/
Re: Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: by tpiar: 1:31am On Jan 07, 2016
damilola15:
I didn't know yoruba traditional wedding still existed. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

it still exists, but not everyone does it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sadiya Bayero-Sanusi Celebrates Birthday With Her Family / 2017 African Drums Festival In Abeokuta, Ogun State (Live Photos) / I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.