Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (213) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (450512 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) ... (260) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by drmuchin: 3:08am On Jan 01, 2022
lagusboyyy:

Toyota Camry 04= Basic midsize sedan,fuel efficient and economic in maintanance

Lexus ES330= Luxurious midsize sedan,not too fuel effiecient and high maintanance cost.

The better ride is obviously Lexus.

For a first timer,i advice you go for the camry,but to enjoy more luxury,the best bet is the lexus.

Pls explain, what is luxury in a car?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lagusboyyy(m): 11:52am On Jan 01, 2022
drmuchin:

Pls explain, what is luxury in a car?
Good quality interior materials, hi-tech gadgets and high performance engine.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by selfmadeOLX(m): 8:53pm On Jan 01, 2022
Hey guys

I am intending getting a Hyundai Veracruz Limited

Need your honest opinions on the said car especially mechanical reliability and repairs
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:57am On Jan 02, 2022
selfmadeOLX:
Hey guys

I am intending getting a Hyundai Veracruz Limited

Need your honest opinions on the said car especially mechanical reliability and repairs

It shares platform with Hyundai Santa fe and am sure their parts would be interchangeable. It is related to Optima, grandeur and some other hyundai products.

It comes with a 3.8L V6 I believe only the Genesis I know carried that engine not too sure Optima had only 3.3 or 3.5 but the lambda engines are solid are okay. 260hp is good enough.

It's not popular around but the Santa fe is so parts to a degree shouldn't be a problem also any Hyundai mechanic should be able to fix it.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by selfmadeOLX(m): 3:32pm On Jan 03, 2022
nurey:

It shares platform with Hyundai Santa fe and am sure their parts would be interchangeable. It is related to Optima, grandeur and some other hyundai products.

It comes with a 3.8L V6 I believe only the Genesis I know carried that engine not too sure Optima had only 3.3 or 3.5 but the lambda engines are solid are okay. 260hp is good enough.

It's not popular around but the Santa fe is so parts to a degree shouldn't be a problem also any Hyundai mechanic should be able to fix it.

Thanks so much

And yes I haven’t seen a Veracruz on the road, yet
As much information as I have come to, The reviews on the engine was that every 60k miles or so, the valve head gasket do leak oil on the alternator and kills it which stalls the vehicle

So when the oil drip starts, the head gasket, alternator needs changing. Can this be done
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dru23(m): 4:24pm On Jan 03, 2022
selfmadeOLX:

Thanks so much

As much information as I have come to, The reviews on the engine was that every 60k miles or so, the valve head gasket do leak oil on the alternator and kills it which stalls the vehicle

So when the oil drip starts, the head gasket, alternator needs changing. Can this be done

I don't know where u get ur reviews from . Have shipped about 5 vearcruz so far . They are harder and harder to find.

The ones have sold are around 160k miles. No issues at all. They are good cars, if buying anyone plz make sure u buy Tokunbo . And follow owners manual at all times.......

Pics below.. Have sold 5 so far ..looking for more ....

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dru23(m): 4:41pm On Jan 03, 2022
More pics .. Strong SUV .. And fast too . parts are expensive but also available ..........

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by selfmadeOLX(m): 8:42pm On Jan 03, 2022
dru23:

I don't know where u get ur reviews from . Have shipped about 5 vearcruz so far . They are harder and harder to find.

The ones have sold are around 160k miles. No issues at all. They are good cars, if buying anyone plz make sure u buy Tokunbo . And follow owners manual at all times.......

Pics below.. Have sold 5 so far ..looking for more ....

Probably you should read more on the cars you sell

You neither fix them nor use them long term. I cannot take your word for it. No offense

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dru23(m): 9:59pm On Jan 03, 2022
selfmadeOLX:

Probably you should read more on the cars you sell

You neither fix them nor use them long term. I cannot take your word for it. No offense

Unfortunately I don't have all the pictures of the ones I sold.. Below pic are 3 different ones sold, not including the previous 1 posted earlier........

My point is I wouldn't take ur advice either ........

My advice ... When searching for a car .. Stay away from lemon ones.

All had over 100k miles. Clean title ... So maybe u were reading lemon reviews. Lolz

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by selfmadeOLX(m): 10:49pm On Jan 03, 2022
dru23:

Unfortunately I don't have all the pictures of the ones I sold.. Below pic are 3 different ones sold, not including the previous 1 posted earlier........

[s]My point is I wouldn't take ur advice either ........
[/s]
My advice ... When searching for a car .. Stay away from lemon ones.

All had over 100k miles. Clean title ... So maybe u were reading lemon reviews. Lolz

I really don’t understand how you process information. I am not giving out advice, I am the one in need of advice yet here you are forcing your numbers to my face on how much veracruz you’ve sold like you’ve got something to prove so bad

All that do not help make a purchase decision. Even the worst cars sells a few

You should rest!

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dru23(m): 10:55pm On Jan 03, 2022
selfmadeOLX:

I really don’t understand how you process information. I am not giving out advice, I am the one in need of advice yet here you are forcing your numbers to my face on how much veracruz you’ve sold like you’ve got something to prove so bad

All that do not help make a purchase decision. Even the worst cars sells a few

You should rest!

The New Year is still very fresh. So I will apologize to you if I offend you in any shape or form

6 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by selfmadeOLX(m): 11:34pm On Jan 03, 2022
dru23:

The New Year is still very fresh. So I will apologize to you if I offend you in any shape or form

It’s all good chief

Still in need of information.
Price of the veracruz engine 3.8L V6 and the transmission FWD

Worst case scenario grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dru23(m): 12:17am On Jan 04, 2022
selfmadeOLX:

It’s all good chief

Still in need of information.
Price of the veracruz engine 3.8L V6 and the transmission FWD

Worst case scenario grin

Engine is about 400k that is my guess o transmission I don't know .......

Buying tokunbo engine or transmission is really 50/50. Coz u don't know the authenticity of the engine. And most times they are Naija used sold as tokunbo. Unless u see them offloading from the container .....

That been said if you can get a good vearcruz with 100k miles or 160k depending on the year . Than you are good. ..........

The veracruz is not longer in production. And production date starts from 2007 to 2012. Some come with full option dvd, navigation, leather etc .. Nice ride
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by selfmadeOLX(m): 12:19am On Jan 04, 2022
dru23:

Engine is about 400k that is my guess o transmission I don't know .......

Buying tokunbo engine or transmission is really 50/50. Coz u don't know the authenticity of the engine. And most times they are Naija used sold as tokunbo. Unless u see them offloading from the container .....

That been said if you can get a good vearcruz with 100k miles or 160k depending on the year . Than you are good . just make sure you follow owner manual.

Thank You dru. I appreciate your time and response
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:17am On Jan 04, 2022
selfmadeOLX:

Thanks so much

Yes it can be done, you have even done most of the assignment
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lordfalcao(m): 12:06pm On Jan 05, 2022
Hello guys. Thoughts on 2010 Acura MDX anyone?

Likely pro and cons..

How best to handle the oil consumption issues after a long mile issue

In depth review is appreciated from anyone who knows about it well

Cc nurey heavenlybang kingreign and others whose names skipped my mind
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:16pm On Jan 05, 2022
lordfalcao:

Likely pro and cons..

Good vehicle, for oil burn use recommended oil weight and always be soft on the gas pedal keeping the rpm below 3.5 would ensure minimal oil burn. Nah high rpm with over kill speed dey let oil vanish quickly.

Don't utilize 20w50 to ensure long lasting engine life
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lordfalcao(m): 8:04pm On Jan 05, 2022
nurey:

Good vehicle, for oil burn use recommended oil weight and always be soft on the gas pedal keeping the rpm below 3.5 would ensure minimal oil burn. Nah high rpm with over kill speed dey let oil vanish quickly.

Don't utilize 20w50 to ensure long lasting engine life
thank you. I appreciate

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by 9icetoo(m): 4:52pm On Jan 06, 2022
lordfalcao:

Likely pro and cons..

If you don't mind seeing 8mpg in lagos traffic and 18mpg on the highway while driving responsibly, go for it.

However I recently achieved 20.5mpg driving like a grandpa with revs kept below 2k rpm and speeds below 120km/hr.

It's a rapid SUV and can put a lot of sedans and other "marquee" SUVs to shame when it comes to sprinting. 0-60mph in 6 seconds.

It's got the best awd system of cars made in the same era (beats the 4matic, Lexus and Audi awd systems). There's a YouTube video to back up claim.

I have never got stuck in bad terrain. Never. As long as the belly and propeller are clear of obstructions, the AWD will get you out. Don't do crazy offroading though. It doesn't have a locking differential.

Electrical system is sturdy. Only major known issue is battery drain caused by faulty hand free Bluetooth unit. Simple fix.

Mechanically, it's sturdy and robust. Engine is solid. 2011 and some 2010 engines are known to burn oil. Yours might not be included. To control oil burn issues, keep rpms low as mentioned above and use 5w 30 weight oil.

Transmission is solid. Service when due. Your maintenance minder will remind you.

It uses timing belt and is an interference engine. Make sure you change it when due. The maintenance minder will remind you. If it cuts while in motion, at the minimum you a buying top. If it's serious, you are buying an entire engine. cheesy

It's a sweet SUV if you have a large family and haul stuff regularly.
Let's know how it goes.

6 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by diportivo: 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2022
9icetoo:

If you don't mind seeing 8mpg in lagos traffic and 18mpg on the highway while driving responsibly, go for it.

However I recently achieved 20.5mpg driving like a grandpa with revs kept below 2k rpm and speeds below 120km/hr.

It's a rapid SUV and can put a lot of sedans and other "marquee" SUVs to shame when it comes to sprinting. 0-60mph in 6 seconds.

It's got the best awd system of cars made in the same era (beats the 4matic, Lexus and Audi awd systems). There's a YouTube video to back up claim.

I have never got stuck in bad terrain. Never. As long as the belly and propeller are clear of obstructions, the AWD will get you out. Don't do crazy offroading though. It doesn't have a locking differential.

Electrical system is sturdy. Only major known issue is battery drain caused by faulty hand free Bluetooth unit. Simple fix.

Mechanically, it's sturdy and robust. Engine is solid. 2011 and some 2010 engines are known to burn oil. Yours might not be included. To control oil burn issues, keep rpms low as mentioned above and use 5w 30 weight oil.

Transmission is solid. Service when due. Your maintenance minder will remind you.

It uses timing belt and is an interference engine. Make sure you change it when due. The maintenance minder will remind you. If it cuts while in motion, at the minimum you a buying top. If it's serious, you are buying an entire engine. cheesy

Let's know how it goes.

take this review to the Bank

I already deposited mine inside oceanic bank grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lordfalcao(m): 6:19pm On Jan 06, 2022
9icetoo:

Let's know how it goes.

thank you. Lots of information here. I appreciate
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lordfalcao(m): 6:19pm On Jan 06, 2022
wink
diportivo:

take this review to the Bank

I already deposited mine inside oceanic bank grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by selfmadeOLX(m): 7:17pm On Jan 06, 2022
9icetoo:

Lmao

I am getting 14mpg on my 4cyl Accord 09 90% Lagos city driving. Very bad grin
And
I do rev close to 4k rpm on take offs and close to 6k rpm when I’m on race mode.

The car sha dey chop premium maintenance cheesy
Good to know the low mpg isn’t unusual

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by 9icetoo(m): 12:55am On Jan 07, 2022
selfmadeOLX:

Lmao

And
I do rev close to 4k rpm on take offs and close to 6k rpm when I’m on race mode.

Good to know the low mpg isn’t unusual
Them no dey check mpg for Lagos. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Praxtech: 8:43am On Jan 07, 2022
selfmadeOLX:

Lmao

And

Good to know the low mpg isn’t unusu.al
You are not driving responsibly.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ping2ping: 12:22pm On Jan 08, 2022
Hello guys, I need help.

I am looking for a good Nigerian used car to buy for everyday use. The car will be used to n fro office weekdays and taxify for weekends/public holidays.

Consequently, i am concerned about low fuel consumption, cheap and readily available parts, very good AC system and enough room for 3 people at the back.

After my research, I have come up with the following, all Auto transmission:
1. Honda Civic 2007-2008 (US Model)
2. Honda City (the model with normal auto transmission)
3. Hyundai Elantra 2007-2010(US Model)

I did not include Toyota Corolla because of the theft and harm to drivers. A taxify driver told me a couple of Corolla drivers were killed last year and their cars snatched. Toyota Matrix would have being there but I don't know if hatchback cars are acceptable for uber/taxify.

Thanks

Cc
@Gazzuzz
@HavenlyBang
@Kingreign
@9icetoo
@nurey
Other gurus here
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 1:27pm On Jan 08, 2022
ping2ping:
Hello guys, I need help.

I am looking for a good Nigerian used car to buy for everyday use. The car will be used to n fro office weekdays and taxify for weekends/public holidays.

Consequently, i am concerned about low fuel consumption, cheap and readily available parts, very good AC system and enough room for 3 people at the back.

I did not include Toyota Corolla because of the theft and harm to drivers. A taxify driver told me a couple of Corolla drivers were killed last year and their cars snatched. Toyota Matrix would have being there but I don't know if hatchback cars are acceptable for uber/taxify.

Thanks

Civic then Elantra, the city I know with normal auto was 2000 to 2005 or there about which looks like the old 01-05 honda civic. Though I would pick the 08 civic than 10 Elantra because the Elantra though rugged loses shape later on.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by honda001: 2:17pm On Jan 08, 2022
ping2ping:
Hello guys, I need help.

I did not include Toyota Corolla because of the theft and harm to drivers. A taxify driver told me a couple of Corolla drivers were killed last year and their cars snatched. Toyota Matrix would have being there but I don't know if hatchback cars are acceptable for uber/taxify
Thanks
Honda Accord 2009 or Maybe Honda DC 2007 for for enough back sit room
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ping2ping: 3:07pm On Jan 08, 2022
nurey:

Civic then Elantra, the city I know with normal auto was 2000 to 2005 or there about which looks like the old 01-05 honda civic. Though I would pick the 08 civic than 10 Elantra because the Elantra though rugged loses shape later on.

Thanks @nurey. Please what's the best way to deal with low ground clearance of Civic. I read is an issue.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ping2ping: 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2022
honda001:

Honda Accord 2009 or Maybe Honda DC 2007 for for enough back sit room

Thanks @honda001, I presently do not consider Honda Accord 2007 or 2009. It has a 2.4L engine
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:33pm On Jan 08, 2022
ping2ping:

Thanks @nurey. Please what's the best way to deal with low ground clearance of Civic. I read is an issue.

This vehicle is very popular and I don't see any ground clearance issues.

I would advise 15inch rim and slow speeds in gallops and road depressions.

16 inch would work too but it would rub against the body especially when fully loaded.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Itsrm(m): 9:12pm On Jan 08, 2022
ping2ping:
Hello guys, I need help.

Thanks

Cc
@Gazzuzz
@HavenlyBang
@Kingreign
@9icetoo
@nurey
Other gurus here

They are

(1) (2) (3) ... (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) ... (260) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.