Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her (38280 Views)

Anesther Egede Dies After Doctors Left Cotton Wool In Her Belly During Surgery / NAFDAC Warns Against Smuggled Frozen Chicken, Says ‘They Contain Formalin’ / Formalin: Why You Should Reduce Eating Frozen Turkeys And Chickens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by nervorum: 12:51am On Aug 27, 2018
ivor1:
No sane Anaesthetist ll administer formalin maybe she used l2/l3 or her spinal cord terminated at L3 either of the two but to say she the Anaesthetist use formalin big lies

Doesn't formalin have a distinctive smell anymore?

Would anyone open a vial of methylated spirit and not know it how much more formalin?
Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by nervorum: 1:08am On Aug 27, 2018
ollyruffy:
This is a pathetic story. Is this a country?

The family needs to sue the hospital and all the quacks that are involved in this. Licenses need to be revoked and compensation claimed.

You'd be surprised the family MAY lose big time! Some half-wit lawyer somewhere may e nudging them on out of greed.

Spinal anaesthesia has its own range of complications.

Local anaesthetic agents, like any other medication, have side effects.

Certains persons may develop idiosyncratic reactions to a supposedly safe medication.

No hospital (especially a govt hosp, i suppose) would willingly go for fake intravenous medication. Burden of proof would be on the patient to show why other patients did not get paralized from same medication, as most hospitals would stock supplies and from same source.

The patient signed a consent document.

Most importantly, the newspaper report is junk and cannot be relied on to get a sense of exactly what happened.

While technique used can be questioned, this calls for full inquiry. Findings may shock you.
Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by Jman06(m): 1:14am On Aug 27, 2018
Koga51:
I don't know why most people commenting didn't bother to read the story well but just open their loud mouths blaming the doctors and nurses. This is simply a case of fake or adulterated medication administered to the patient by the Anaesthetist (Doctor) who clearly doesn't know he was giving a medication that is faked. How the hell can a sane person blame the doctor? It is clearly a fallout of the societal rot in this nation whereby human lives no longer matter so long as money is concerned hence illicit drug manufacturers can afford to produce cheap adulterated drugs and sell to vulnerable people.
You also failed to read where the post said that the MD of the hospital prefers buying drugs from charlatans at idumota. I'm sure if the hospital had a functional pharmacy with qualified pharmacists to handle drugs procurements, they would get the right drugs from the right sources.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by nervorum: 1:17am On Aug 27, 2018
donbenie:
She was not injected with Formalin,trust me she would most likely not be alive to be narrating her ordeal if such was the case,Formalin is very distinct with an unmistakable smell and would have caused SEVERE tissue damage..
She most likely had a severe reaction to the anaesthetic drug coupled with wrong injection site which would lead to the partial paralyses..

Thank you. What a relief.
This is the single most educated comment from this 'literate' lot.
Well done!

2 Likes

Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by naijajobx: 1:19am On Aug 27, 2018
hmm
Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by nervorum: 1:22am On Aug 27, 2018
neonly:
I had a similar issues but not d operating thing sha
I had thyroid went to mint hospital in front of queens college I was admitted spend two months plus no improvement I notice of something anytime am been given one particular capsule everything start over again(indosid) I complain to d nurse she beg me pls dint let them say it my fault dat what doctor say I should give u
Doctor came to me privately what wrong dint u want to go home I told her abt d drugs immediately she stop it two days later I was running up nd down healthy dat I want to go home

Isn't it best not to mention names when you are not sure of what you'r saying. Its libel

1 Like

Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by DKM123: 5:04am On Aug 27, 2018
Myomectomy ( a type of surgery), sometimes also fibroidectomy, refers to the surgical removal of uterine leiomyomas, also known as fibroids.
Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by neonly: 5:12am On Aug 27, 2018
nervorum:

Isn't it best not to mention names when you are not sure of what you'r saying. Its libel

Ok sir
Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by rock003: 5:36am On Aug 27, 2018
yorubakid:
The Afonja doctor's license should be withdrawn and the hospital sued for damages..

And what gave you the impression that flaaaaathead doctors aren't part of the medical team? Learn to use your brain if you haven't lost it already.
Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by dominique(f): 7:23am On Aug 27, 2018
donbenie:
Obviously it was not Formaline or there would have been severe tissue damage to show for the havoc it would have wreaked..
She very likely reacted to the Anaesthetic drug or it was most likely injected at the wrong site,this reporter is clearly embellishing the story and has zero medical knowledge..

But it was stated in the article that the medical director doesn't follow the normal procurement process. She purchases the hospital drugs from Idumota market, for personal gains probably. It's most likely that the anaesthesia was tainted with formaline or something just as lethal

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by anjilgreat(f): 8:08am On Aug 27, 2018
CSTR1005:

I even learnt that some market women use formaldehyde to swell ponmo.

Just terrible.

I am not surprised. The same happens with most iced fish and frozen chicken and we, Nigerians keep wondering why there is an increase in cancer rate in Nigeria when these unsafe chemicals used as food preservatives are high in free radicals which can cause cancer.

God will help us and save us from these greedy, selfish, wicked and inconsiderate people.
Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by donbenie(m): 8:21am On Aug 27, 2018
dominique:

But it was stated in the article that the medical director doesn't follow the normal procurement process. She purchases the hospital drugs from Idumota market, for personal gains probably. It's most likely that the anaesthesia was tainted with formaline or something just as lethal
How did they know it was Formaline?..obviously none of them have dealt with Formalin before or they wouldn't be saying that..Formalin comes in Gallons not Vials for injection..
This Blogger knows next to nothing about the world of Medicine and is just a sensationalist for the sake of moving his blog,somethirng went wrong but Formalin wasn't involved..if it was,the woman would either be dead or in a far worse situation.
Re: Orile-Agege Hospital Injects Patient With Formalin During Surgery, Crippling Her by anjilgreat(f): 8:40am On Aug 27, 2018
donbenie:
How did they know it was Formaline?..obviously none of them have dealt with Formalin before or they wouldn't be saying that..Formalin comes in Gallons not Vials for injection..
This Blogger knows next to nothing about the world of Medicine and is just a sensationalist for the sake of moving his blog,something went wrong but Formalin wasn't involved..if it was the woman would either be dead or in a far worse situation.

That is exactly what I was thinking. If formalin was used, she would have had multiple organ failure and possibly, coma and death like a similar case in a Russian hospital I shared earlier. Unless she was Lucky not to have had worst complications.

It still baffles me that formalin was used because of it's distinctive and pungent smell. The blogger even made the story to look questionable by saying that she was " diagnosed of myomectomy also known as fibroid" .

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

HIV Prevalence In Nigeria By States! / Swollen Testicles: My Right Egg Is 3 Times The Size Of My Left Egg, Help / Does Penis Enlargement Really Works?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.