Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation (3808 Views)

Dog Battling With Ticks / CBD Oil For Dogs: 10 Things You Didn’t Know / Help! Tick And Fleas Infestation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by fulfilled2016: 4:49pm On Aug 26, 2018
What's the BEST chemical for indoor and outdoor ticks fumigation?

Hello everyone, seems ticks eggs are everywhere around my abode, they disturb my dogs, even though I've got amitraz for her.

But they just seem not to ever dissappear, I see them in droves, and have constituted to being a source of concern for me.

I have used DDforce, LaraForce to no avail in the past. I was told Sniper Insecticide also contains the same active ingredients as the aforementioned chemicals that I've used already.

This time around I want to end them PERMANENTLY with a chemical (fumigation) that works.
Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by bobiaustine85: 9:18pm On Aug 29, 2018
am having a similar problem,any one with idea should say something pls
Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by fulfilled2016: 10:54pm On Aug 29, 2018
Hello, I recently used a new pesticide, with chlorpyrifos as it's active ingredient, said to be more powerful than the previous chemical I've used.

I got no result using it either.
Any ideas on what works please?
Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by Rany4all(m): 9:31am On Aug 30, 2018
Used to have similar challenge but not anymore. The key is prevention rather than cure. You don't have to wait for your dog to get infested with ticks or lice before taking action.

Amitraz can also be used to fumigate the environment, but for me, that is not cost effective enough. I prefer to focus on my dogs instead.

My preventive measure is a combination of Amitraz and Ivermectin administered alternate monthly, ie both are given monthly but never at the same time, hence either one or the other is given every 2 weeks. In more simple terms: if I administer Amitraz today, I then administer Ivermectin 2 weeks after and then Amitraz again 2 weeks after giving the Ivermectin and so on.

This regimen can protect your dog from many types of internal and external parasites including some intestinal worms, heartworm, ticks, lice, fleas, Mange mites and botfly maggots.

Please note that you must follow strict dosing recommendations and also know how to administer both safely otherwise you risk the life of your dog.

Good luck.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by Rany4all(m): 9:54am On Aug 30, 2018
Amitraz is diluted according to the directions on the product (different brands come in different concentrations so you must read and follow directions). The diluted solution is then used to bathe the dog, taking particular precautions to prevent it from entering the dog's mouth or eyes and then rinsing it off almost immediately with clean water. If your dog likes licking it's body while bathing, then its safer to use a mouth guard. And the dog must be at least 12 weeks old.

The Ivermectin I use is the injectable type, which can only be administered subcutaneously, ie under the skin. If you do not have the necessary skill to administer subcut injections to dogs, then you may want to go for the oral form which your dog can take through the mouth. The dose is dependent on the weight of the dog: I give 0.4mg/kg body weight, but always read the recommendations on the brand before administration.

Rany4all:
Used to have similar challenge but not anymore. The key is prevention rather than cure. You don't have to wait for your dog to get infested with ticks or lice before taking action.

Amitraz can also be used to fumigate the environment, but for me, that is not cost effective enough. I prefer to focus on my dogs instead.

My preventive measure is a combination of Amitraz and Ivermectin administered alternate monthly, ie both are given monthly but never at the same time, hence either one or the other is given every 2 weeks. In more simple terms: if I administer Amitraz today, I then administer Ivermectin 2 weeks after and then Amitraz again 2 weeks after giving the Ivermectin and so on.

This regimen can protect your dog from many types of internal and external parasites including some intestinal worms, heartworm, ticks, lice, fleas, Mange mites and botfly maggots.

Please note that you must follow strict dosing recommendations and also know how to administer both safely otherwise you risk the life of your dog.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by bobiaustine85: 12:01pm On Aug 30, 2018
Rany4all:

Good luck.
tnks bro u av rely help,but there is dis injection i bought named iverion ,de is a big bottle n small bottle insid ,n both r liquid de is no proper instruction on d PACk weda to dilut d big wit d small.do u av any idea on how to use it
Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by Rany4all(m): 12:55pm On Aug 30, 2018
bobiaustine85:
tnks bro u av rely help,but there is dis injection i bought named iverion ,de is a big bottle n small bottle insid ,n both r liquid de is no proper instruction on d PACk weda to dilut d big wit d small.do u av any idea on how to use it
The Iverion (see pix below) I know and use is a brand of Ivermectin, but mine comes in a single bottle, not 2, containing 50ml of injectable liquid.

Is there no leaflet inside the pack you bought? What is written on the bottles? Can you post pictures of both bottles?

1 Like

Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by bobiaustine85: 6:01pm On Aug 31, 2018
did is it sorry I upload it late

1 Like

Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by fulfilled2016: 10:07pm On Aug 31, 2018
Rany4all:

Good luck.

Thanks alot for all the info you gave, I will be adding ivermectin in addition to my application of amitraz as informed for the preventive measures.

Unfortunately, as with my situation regards the infestation, corrective measure is of my utmost priority ; fumigation to eradicate them and their eggs, as no chemical seems to work.

At any point in time in the past regards your experience with ticks, have you dealt with infestation, if yes, what did you use for their eradication?

1 Like

Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by Rany4all(m): 11:29pm On Aug 31, 2018
bobiaustine85:
did is it sorry I upload it late
Your pictures are of little or no help bro. Would have loved to see what is written on both bottles...
Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by Rany4all(m): 11:49pm On Aug 31, 2018
fulfilled2016:

Thanks alot for all the info you gave, I will be adding ivermectin in addition to my application of amitraz as informed for the preventive measures.

Unfortunately, as with my situation regards the infestation, corrective measure is of my utmost priority ; fumigation to eradicate them and their eggs, as no chemical seems to work.

At any point in time in the past regards your experience with ticks, have you dealt with infestation, if yes, what did you use for their eradication?
The effect of fumigation can only last for as long as the effect of the chemical used will last. Once the effect of the chemical wears off more ticks will crawl back from neighboring surroundings, hence its not a permanent fix as you may think. And the quantity of whatever chemical used, for instance Amitraz, will be much more than you'd use on your dog. This is one of the reasons why I don't bother with fumigation.

The effect of Amitraz on the dog lasts for about 3 weeks anyway, so no tick will come near your dog within this period even if they are in the environment.

Yes, I've dealt with infestation several times in the past and I've used several products including fipronil spray, tick off spray, Amitraz, Ivermectin, and some other sprays and spot on's, names of which I can't remember at this time, but of all the products I've used I think I prefer Amitraz and Ivermectin.

Ever since I started my preventive measures though, I've never had an infestation again, even without fumigation.

1 Like

Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by GRACEGLORY: 6:18am On Sep 01, 2018
Rany4all:
Your pictures are of little or no help bro. Would have loved to see what is written on both bottles...

He already gave you a name, just google it
Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by Rany4all(m): 6:58am On Sep 01, 2018
GRACEGLORY:

He already gave you a name, just google it
Why not tell the person that gave the name to Google it rather than the person that wants to help...or better still, you could Google it yourself and share for the benefit of all.

I'm not as dumb as you think you know...what I was interested in are the other details on the bottle written in small print rather than the 'name.' Try googling that out and see how it goes...

1 Like

Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by bobiaustine85: 1:36pm On Sep 01, 2018
Rany4all:
I will snap again n upload
Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by bobiaustine85: 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2018
Rany4all:
but is same thing dats writn on both bottles. just like d one on d one u posted
Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by Rany4all(m): 1:55pm On Sep 01, 2018
bobiaustine85:
but is same thing dats writn on both bottles. just like d one on d one u posted
The big one looks exactly like mine, so I'm more interested in the smaller one. Just post a picture or two of the smaller one close enough to read what is written on the bottle, and I'm not referring to the 'name' alone, but everything written on the bottle.
Re: Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation by fulfilled2016: 5:22pm On Sep 04, 2018
Rany4all:
The effect of fumigation can only last for as long as the effect of the chemical used will last. Once the effect of the chemical wears off more ticks will crawl back from neighboring surroundings, hence its not a permanent fix as you may think. And the quantity of whatever chemical used, for instance Amitraz, will be much more than you'd use on your dog. This is one of the reasons why I don't bother with fumigation.

The effect of Amitraz on the dog lasts for about 3 weeks anyway, so no tick will come near your dog within this period even if they are in the environment.

Yes, I've dealt with infestation several times in the past and I've used several products including fipronil spray, tick off spray, Amitraz, Ivermectin, and some other sprays and spot on's, names of which I can't remember at this time, but of all the products I've used I think I prefer Amitraz and Ivermectin.

Ever since I started my preventive measures though, I've never had an infestation again, even without fumigation.

I think I will put more of amitraz to use on the dog's body, following your advice, to an extent of more frequent application than recommended, but with a proper concentration (dilution) with water to prevent hazards.

Nevertheless, in my case, I wouldn't completely rule out fumigation.

I'm Ready to try all methods as long as it will work. Thanks for the input so far, it's being enlightening.

(1) (Reply)

Reptile Lovers! Pls Help Identify Dis Creature / Strange Animal Killed At Football Field / Amazing Bullmastiff Puppies for sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.