Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,627 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi (18173 Views)

Drama As Unruly Max Air Pilot Holds Passengers Hostage For 4 Hours After Boardin / Trucks That Broke Down On Lagos Roads Within The Last 72 Hours (Photos) / Apapa-road Gridlock: How Companies Move Cargoes From Lagos Ports -PHOTOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Nwaforj44: 4:10am On Aug 27, 2018
It was a harrowing experience for motorists and passengers along the Lagos-Okene-Lokoja-Abuja road as heavy gridlock held them hostage for almost 72 hours at the weekend.Consequently, motorcyclists in Okene made some brisk business as many of the passengers in commercial vehicles disembarked to patronise them.

The motorcyclists were seen meandering through available spaces to take them to the nearest point where they could board another vehicle to continue their journeys. The gridlock, which stretched to about six milometers from the Federal College of Education (FCE) Okene to Total Filling Station and another six kilometers from Itakpe to the FCE, was caused by the deplorable condition of the road.

Although the contract for the federal road leading to Lagos had been awarded, the contractors are not in site yet leaving the road in a total state of disrepair.Most passengers were stranded for 24 hours, while others were stranded for an upward of 72 hours in Okene as a result of the bad roads along FCE, Okene.

The Itakpe road bypass, which would have served as alternative exit for the motorists also experienced gridlock.It was learnt that the heavy downpour that lasted for three days around Okene, worsened the already bad condition of the road making it almost impassable.

Over 100 trucks like Dangote trailers were stuck in the snarl as some were broken down as a result of overheating.Most travellers who spoke with The Guardian decried the situation, as some of them who were travelling from the North to either the West or Eastern part of the country could not get to their destinations on schedule.

The situation became so difficult that some of the travellers had to abandon their vehicles for any possible means to get to their destinations.However, officials of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) and security agents were sighted doing everything possible to ease the situation as they took control of the congestion.

A commercial motorcycle rider told The Guardian that they charged passengers who were travelling to Edo State N1000 to enable them get to the outskirts of the town where they could board another vehicle to Benin City and other parts of the country.

The passengers urged the Federal Government to expedite action on fixing the road by moving the contractors to site as sson as possible. They also appealed to the Governor Yahaya Bello to also rehabilitate the Itakpe-Eika-Kuroko-Okene road since the road serves as an alternative route for motorists travelling through the town whenever the FCE road is blocked.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/08/gridlock-holds-passengers-hostage-for.html

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by unohbethel(m): 4:37am On Aug 27, 2018
cheesy
Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by DonCorleons: 4:44am On Aug 27, 2018
Lol shiit hole country where nothing works

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by okomile(f): 5:01am On Aug 27, 2018
Amaechi wants train services at Itakpe. Hmmmmmm
He better urge Fashola to fix the roads and fix it fast. I can't shout grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by chomchom1(f): 5:22am On Aug 27, 2018
Failed government tongue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Nukilia: 5:51am On Aug 27, 2018
Money which is supposed to be used in fixing our decaying infrastructure is being distributed to some people under the guise of social intervention. I don't know when Nigerians will learn sense? Every now and then we keep voting for dullards and men with low IQ, we later turn back to scream that government is not working.

2019 is coming for us to elect a new leader, but we prefer to vote for a dumb retiree who thinks Nigeria is a retirement compensation plan for himself and his cronies. The pathetic part is supporting a political party who places a professor as the vice president and the president is a tyrant masquerading as a lover of the masses.

How I wish the youths can think objectively and salvage the nation from the wreck in which its found itself.

Our children will someday ask us if we truly voted for an old man to be a President and left the intelligent professor to be his vice. Our children will question our stupidity and will find it hard to wrap their heads around our level of stupidity...

grin grin grin

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Nukilia: 6:00am On Aug 27, 2018
chomchom1:
Failed government tongue

Maybe we should rather say "Failed People" because we failed our Nation by supporting dumb people to lead our country!

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by gaby(m): 6:40am On Aug 27, 2018
In fact, I have no word for Kogi and its citizens. I feel so sorry for them and wished they'd have some pity on themselves too.

The moment you are about to step into Kogi (Okene) you just know you are heading for a long thing. The roads and living spaces are an eyesore.

I was lucky to have escaped the gridlock two days ago, spent just half an hour on it. It was a total chaos and not something to witness at all.

Click on my siggy for the story of how I trekked to and fro Europe from Nigeria. Epic

5 Likes

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Richdad50(m): 6:43am On Aug 27, 2018
Kogi is the poorest state in West Africa

8 Likes

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by GoodMuyis(m): 6:44am On Aug 27, 2018
Very Bad situation

#GetYourPVC

Rate Buhari on [url=perforate.com.ng]perforate.com.ng[/url]

1 Like

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Caseless: 6:44am On Aug 27, 2018
grin

Which one is "milometre" again, OP?

I can understand how they feel. I won't forget the one Adeboye and his church caused me between Lagos and ibadan.

Nigerians and stupid ways of practicing religion; they must rub it across your face.]
angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by toluxa1(m): 6:44am On Aug 27, 2018
I was caught in it yesterday from on my way from Lagos to Abuja. It was hell. I wonder if there is a Gov in that Kogi state. If Buhari goes to toilet, he will declare public holiday and the mumu can't solicit help from Fed Govt to fix those roads.
Few pictures. This was even an alternate route in the Bush we went to follow.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Amberon1: 6:45am On Aug 27, 2018
My sister was one of them. She said she even had to sleep at Okene.
Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Eziokwugbaoto: 6:45am On Aug 27, 2018
Wait ooo 72 hours is it not 3 days Nigeria which way forward?
The governor of Kogi is it not that one they call Yahaya Bello that has been frequenting Aso rock like fly perching on sh|t. He has left the weightier matters in his state to be following Mr. Buhari upandan. He should just resign and become the PA to the president.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by okomile(f): 6:46am On Aug 27, 2018
Itakpe train station is there.
Amaechi should tell fashola to fix the road asap

Nigeria we hail thee grin
Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by GOFRONT(m): 6:46am On Aug 27, 2018
Chaii.....Yaya Bello
Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by PHILipu1(m): 6:48am On Aug 27, 2018
Nukilia:

Maybe we should rather say "Failed People" because we failed our Nation by supporting dumb people to lead our country!
We supported dumb people from 1999 to 2015 that is good 16 years and those people couldn't fix this road

6 Likes

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Groovenaija360(m): 6:48am On Aug 27, 2018
shocked

The result of having a cow as president.

Mumu Nigerians will still vote for him
Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Caseless: 6:49am On Aug 27, 2018
Richdad50:
Kogi is the poorest state in West Africa
wee you kee kwayet!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by directonpc(m): 6:49am On Aug 27, 2018
72 hours? Them baff so?

2 Likes

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by sanmtiago(m): 6:50am On Aug 27, 2018
I don't even wanna imagine how debilitating it is staying in such gridlock.. cry
Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by blackaxe78: 6:50am On Aug 27, 2018
When Kogi Super falcons really want to mess things up, they do it big.

Somebody needs to appease them before they join forces with Edo state Flying Eagles as that can cause a gridlock in air for aircrafts

1 Like

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by zicoraads: 6:50am On Aug 27, 2018
I can only imagine. That road is terrible! God! Passed there a week ago and I wondered if no governor of Kogi state has ever passed through Okene. I was finding it hard to believe that any governor will frequent that road and it'll be in that terrible state.

2 Likes

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Viking007(m): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2018
As usual, all those paid zombies collecting 30k monthly will avoid this thread. Bunch of castrated pigs. Just look at how people are suffering just because they lack a basic necessity like good roads in 2018! cry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by osusuallstars: 6:53am On Aug 27, 2018
lai mohammed will tell you that there are 69 ongoing road projects in the south east. mention them, he will call Enugu/ Port harcourt expressway 1, enugu/ lokpanta express way, 2 enugu/ umuahia 3, enugu/ isiala ngwa express way 4,enugu/aba express way 5,enugu/obehie rd 6 , enugu/ obigbo express way 7. meanwhile all these are just one stretch road from enugu to port harcourt.

8 Likes

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Tonimordred(m): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2018
unohbethel:
cheesy
no b 2 go house go chop,bath, sleep n kum bak until d road clear
Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by Caseless: 6:53am On Aug 27, 2018
toluxa1:
I was caught in it yesterday from on my way from Lagos to Abuja. It was hell.
Few pictures
which section of the road is this?
Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by elampiro(m): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2018
Nukilia:
Money which is supposed to be used in fixing our decaying infrastructure is being distributed to some people under the guise of social intervention. I don't know when Nigerians will learn sense? Every now and then we keep voting for dullards and men with low IQ, we later turn back to scream that government is not working.

2019 is coming for us to elect a new leader, but we prefer to vote for a dumb retiree who thinks Nigeria is a retirement compensation plan for himself and his cronies. The pathetic part is supporting a political party who places a professor as the vice president and the president is a tyrant masquerading as a lover of the masses.

How I wish the youths can think objectively and salvage the nation from the wreck in which its found itself.

Our children will someday ask us if we truly voted for an old man to be a President and left the intelligent professor to be his vice. Our children will question our stupidity and will find it hard to wrap their heads around our level of stupidity...

grin grin grin

All of them are important. Social intervention and construction of roads. Meanwhile this administration is beating the previous ones in road construction. It is doing marvelously well, if you travel a lot and extensively.

3 Likes

Re: Gridlock Holds Passengers Hostage For 72 Hours In Kogi by frowland(m): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2018
PHILipu1:
We supported dump people from 1999 to 2015 that is good 16 years and those people couldn't fix this road

Don't mind those jokers. To them government started 2015. ..and I think 72 hrs is an exaggeration. A vehicle drove for 72hrs in a 6km journey? I think the writer is trying to be mischievous.
6Km is something a bicycle can do in 15-20mins if the rider is moving at lets say standard 10-15km/hr. There is no truth in that comment.
Either the writer is being tricky or the readers are gullible.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bullion Van In Lafia Kills 2, Injures JAMB Candidates (Photo) / How To Pay My Sevis Fee From Nigeria / Places To Go For A Holiday And Sightseeing In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.