Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" (4518 Views)

Best Cream Or Lotion To Give The Skin Chocolate Colour. / Reviews Of The Best Skin Lightening Products You Have Ever Used. / Best Skin-Lightening Cream (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by jposuagwu: 9:51pm On Jun 27, 2010
Why are Nigerian women damaging their skin with bleaching cosmetics and ignorantly call it toning or lightening? Is their any difference between toning/lightening with bleaching? I think Nigerian women need help in this regard because they know not the damage they are doing to their skin. The inexplicable is the number of men that have joined these ignorant women in bleaching (damaging) their skin. I just need to know WHY ARE NIGERIAN WOMEN DAMAGING THEIR SKIN
Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by mondayjack: 10:03pm On Jun 27, 2010
I think their are not aware of the damages. Some believe in the imagine presence of the insult from people they now tend to abuse God for creating them that way. If i must suggest they need attitudinal change over looking Good at the expense of their skin.
Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by makajibbz(m): 10:18pm On Jun 27, 2010
most people believe a lighter skin makes you more good-looking than a darker skin,its all a false evidence created by them white men, so,untl we black people conquer that imagination,i dont see them stop bleaching thier skins,
4real!!!
Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by jposuagwu: 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2010
I challenge any woman to prove that there is a difference between toning/lightening the skin and bleaching. Where are the ladies and their beauticians?
Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by topup: 1:27am On Jul 01, 2010
Yes, there is a difference between bleaching and lightening. Lightening creams rarely ever contain harsh chemicals, they are very common, and they are for evening the skintone, not actually lightening it - they even out all the dark bits to match the rest of your skintone - which is the lightening part - however, if they make dark scars and patches match the rest of your skintone, they are mostly evening out your skintone.

Bleaches on the other hand have no intention other than to remove the pigment that gives a person their darkness or skintone, and to make a person appear lighter, this does not even the skintone, but it just lightens it, this is why some say there are tell tale signs of a person who lightens i.e. dark knuckles, some darker discolourations etc.

A person who lightens/tones is evening out their scars and freckles, to attain an even skintone, a person who bleaches is trying to attain a completely different skintone altogether.

I hope that's made it clearer.

2 Likes

Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by iice(f): 4:13pm On Jul 01, 2010
My own is that, do these people really see themselves in the mirror as they bleach? They look like they are molting or shredding. Don't know who told them that look, looks good undecided
Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by oyinda3(f): 9:40pm On Jul 01, 2010
because the guys like fair girls and what girl doesn't want to be considered pretty?

unfortunately, most are not aware of the consequences bleaching creams have for the future
Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by mohawkchic(f): 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
Whats' The Difference Between Bleaching And Skin Toning? nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-283921.0.html

Is There Ever A Good Reason To Bleach Your Skin nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-319021.0.html
Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by jposuagwu: 9:38pm On Jul 05, 2010
Dear topup,

You must have been deceived by beauticians to believe there is a difference bw lightening and bleaching. Anything that removes the skin pigmentation, no matter how slight is bleaching. You said lightening or toning does not wide the pores. Its a lie, it really does erode the skin pores. And it is the CHEMICAL COMPONENTS in cosmetics that can even skintone. What am I saying? Am saying that it is only chemicals present in creams that can make the skin change in anyway. The chemicals could be hydroquinon, mercury, etc. What you call difference between lightening and bleaching is just a matter of percentage of chemicals present in the cosmetics in question. For example, a cream that has 0.75% hydroquinon content will sure not bleach or lighten the skin in the same degree as cream that has 1.5% hydroquinon content or 2.5% or 3% content but all the same it will gradually  or slowly bleach or what you call tone/lighten the skin over a longer period of time. Higher percentages of chemical content only bleaches faster and leaves patches. It does not mean that the slow toning cream  if prolonged in use will not ultimately bleach. Please note that bleaching and lightening or toning is just a matter of degree of chemical content and therefore a matter of semantics. Again know it that 90% of the creams or cosmetics that enter Nigeria have serious hydroquinon content but are hardly indicated on the body of the cosmetics. Out of the 90% that have serious chemical content, only 5% indicate the chemical content on the container of the cosmetics. Have you bothered to ask, how come very few creams or cosmetics say they contain hydroquinon yet many of our women are parading bleached skin. Anyone from the tropics, would only get darker as they grow up because of our weather. But how come most adult women from secondary school level all carry shinny skins (lightened bodies)? The thing that makes this possible is nothing other than bleaching chemical, if you like call it toning.  Please wake up and understand that only chemicals can change the colour of your skin no matter how small and they are dangerous.  At another post, I will highlight the consequences of bleaching in the medium  and long term.
Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by topup: 3:15am On Oct 14, 2010
jposuagwu:

Dear topup,

You must have been deceived by beauticians to believe there is a difference bw lightening and bleaching. This is like saying that there is no difference between verbal abuse and sexual abuse, yes they are both forms of abuse but their results are different. Anything that removes the skin pigmentation, no matter how slight is bleaching. You said lightening or toning does not wide the pores. I didn't say this. Its a lie, it really does erode the skin pores. And it is the CHEMICAL COMPONENTS in cosmetics that can even skintone. What am I saying? Am saying that it is only chemicals present in creams that can make the skin change in anyway. The chemicals could be hydroquinon, mercury, etc. What you call difference between lightening and bleaching is just a matter of percentage of chemicals present in the cosmetics in question. For example, a cream that has 0.75% hydroquinon content will sure not bleach or lighten the skin in the same degree as cream that has 1.5% hydroquinon content or 2.5% or 3% content but all the same it will gradually  or slowly bleach or what you call tone/lighten the skin over a longer period of time. Higher percentages of chemical content only bleaches faster and leaves patches. It does not mean that the slow toning cream  if prolonged in use will not ultimately bleach. Please note that bleaching and lightening or toning is just a matter of degree of chemical content and therefore a matter of semantics. Again know it that 90% of the creams or cosmetics that enter Nigeria have serious hydroquinon content but are hardly indicated on the body of the cosmetics. Out of the 90% that have serious chemical content, only 5% indicate the chemical content on the container of the cosmetics. Have you bothered to ask, how come very few creams or cosmetics say they contain hydroquinon yet many of our women are parading bleached skin. Anyone from the tropics, would only get darker as they grow up because of our weather. But how come most adult women from secondary school level all carry shinny skins (lightened bodies)? The thing that makes this possible is nothing other than bleaching chemical, if you like call it toning.  Please wake up and understand that only chemicals can change the colour of your skin no matter how small and they are dangerous. Not ALL chemicals are dangerous, there are some found in natural plants and materials, chemicals can also be natural, by the way I'm not endorsing bleaching or lightening, and probably the majority of your information is likely to be correct anyway since I haven't ever looked at this section of cosmetic products in Nigeria. At another post, I will highlight the consequences of bleaching in the medium  and long term.

Re: Bleaching Called "Lightening The Skin" by InkedNerd(f): 5:07am On Oct 14, 2010
Don't mind 'em. There's no difference. Same results different terminology. A lot of people are ignorantly slathering those nonsense things on their body. I don't agree with skin bleaching BUT if that's what an individual wants to do then so be it. Its just a matter of doing it in a safe manner. If people would just go to a dermatologist and consult a professional then they'd know that there are SAFE and PROFESSIONAL ways to "bleach" and/or "lighten" their skin if that's what they want to do. People don't seems to realize the dangers of those HORRID bleaching products. Those things are FULL of mercury, steroids or other harmful skin bleaching substances. Don't allow yourselves to be fooled by a lot of theses companies. Even companies like Dove which pride themselves on being accepting of people of all forms since they've launched their whole "The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty" in 2004 have alternative motives. Their parent company, Unilever is tied to producing add that actually contradict their Dove campaigns >>> http://aseachange.com/blog-illusionists/2008/10/an-egregious-example-of-corporate-hypocrisy-doves-real-beauty-campaignuponco/ . Another company that has jumped onto the skin lightening band wagon is Vaseline which is also under the Unilever corporation. In 2010, the company launched a Facebook skin lightening application which enabled users to lighten their skin tones. This application was all part of a marketing campaign to sell products foe their new mens line >>> http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/07/23/multinational-corporations-and-the-cultivation-of-colorism/. Honestly, I was in no way shocked by any of it.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Average Bra Size For Women In Nigeria. / Photos Of Kids Beautifully Dressed As Elderly / ACCENTUATE YOUR CURVES WITH SLIM EXTREME 3D & 4D RANGE OF BODY MODELLING SERUM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.