Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines (11805 Views)

Hondas And Other Cars With Failed Ball Joint On The Roads (Photos) / 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars / 7 Cars With Absolutely Ugly Interior You Wouldn’t Even Like To See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Agadsman(m): 3:17pm On Aug 28, 2018
What prompted me to ask this particular question was that I and my friends were hanging out this last weekend and somehow we started talking about cars, to my greatest surprise my friend told me he drives his car (automatic) with both legs. That is, left leg on the brake and right leg on the accelerator and he uses them simultaneously. Sounded strange to me so I started asking around and few other people also said they drive their automatic cars with both legs.

I have always thought that the safest way to drive automatic cars is by using only the right leg since there's no clutch, the left leg has no function unlike in the manual cars where the left leg is strictly for the clutch.

I can't imagine myself using both legs for automatic cars biko.

So guys, how do you drive your automatic cars?

4 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by GraGra247(m): 3:28pm On Aug 28, 2018
Single leg use is best. Right leg in this case. I once hurt my left leg and could still drive with my right leg because its automatic. Of course manual won't let you do that.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by sirusX(m): 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2018
Actually it's meant to be just one leg

For me I switch up when I need to...one leg for regular driving on the road, and two for bumper to bumper mode and quick reaction on the road

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Glorymax: 4:00pm On Aug 28, 2018
sirusX:

For me I switch up when I need to...one leg for regular driving on the road, and two for bumper to bumper mode and quick reaction on the road

I agree With you for quick response/reaction within the town, I use two legs. I observed it increases my response time both for taking off and bringing the vehicle to a halt.
However, I advice that one sticks to the form he/she has mastered properly for safe driving.
The reason for using one leg in driving automatic transmission vehicles is because throttle and brake pedals can't be operated at the same time. Hence, it requires extra alertness to use two legs while driving automatic transmission vehicles

11 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Agadsman(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2018
GraGra247:
Single leg use is best. Right leg in this case. I once hurt my left leg and could still drive with my right leg because its automatic. Of course manual won't let you do that.

Yea, manual has clutch while automatic doesn't have.
Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Agadsman(m): 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2018
sirusX:

Switch up, don't it confuse you that way? Sometimes I feel stepping on the brake and accelerator at the same time destroys the car

6 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Agadsman(m): 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2018
sirusX:

Switch up, don't it confuse you that way? Sometimes I feel stepping on the brake and accelerator at the same time destroys the car.

2 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Agadsman(m): 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2018
Glorymax:

I agree With you for quick response/reaction within the town, I use two legs. I observed it increases my response time both for taking off and bringing the vehicle to a halt.
However, I advice that one sticks to the form he/she has mastered properly for safe driving.
The reason for using one leg in driving automatic transmission vehicles is because throttle and brake pedals can't be operated at the same time. Hence, it requires extra alertness to use two legs while driving automatic transmission vehicles

I couldn't agree more. It requires extra focus to use both legs and one needs to be careful not to apply the accelerator when its the brake that needs to be applied.

2 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by divinelove(m): 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2018
both legs works better for me, I have been using same for 6years. After 3 years I tried switching to one leg to no avail because I have so mastered the two legs style, my friends keep making fun of me BC of it grin but I have always reminded them of how I have had no accident doing same in 6yrs

one leg is recommended but doesn't work for me, one leg is taught in driving.

Everyone should stick to what they have mastered

sometimes I wonder whether to teach my wife my two legs method or send her to driving school to learn the recommended one leg

8 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Agadsman(m): 5:32pm On Aug 28, 2018
divinelove:
both legs works better for me, I have been using same for 6years. After 3 years I tried switching to one leg to no avail because I have so mastered the two legs style, my friends keep making fun of me BC of it grin but I have always reminded them of how I have had no accident doing same in 6yrs

one leg is recommended but doesn't work for me, one leg is taught in driving.

Everyone should stick to what they have mastered

sometimes I wonder whether to teach my wife my two legs method or send her to driving school to learn the recommended one leg

Lol... 6 years and no accident then you are already a pro. I suggest you take your wife to driving school to learn the one leg method cos she might not be as focus as you are to be able to use two legs.

3 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by divinelove(m): 6:05pm On Aug 28, 2018
Agadsman:

Lol... 6 years and no accident then you are already a pro. I suggest you take your wife to driving school to learn the one leg method cos she might not be as focus as you are to be able to use two legs.

my thoughts exactly @ wifey, driving school it is then let her learn manual too
Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by sirusX(m): 8:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
Glorymax:
Yeah.... you're on point

Agadsman:
Switch up, don't it confuse you that way? Sometimes I feel stepping on the brake and accelerator at the same time destroys the car
I'm used to it, so it's never confusing.
Although one just needs to be cautious...& learn how to handle using just one leg
Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Glorymax: 8:32pm On Aug 28, 2018
Agadsman:

I couldn't agree more. It requires extra focus to use both legs and one needs to be careful not to apply the accelerator when its the brake that needs to be applied.

Yes indeed, focus and alertness. Though some auto transmission brake pedals are conveniently positioned for easy operation with left leg

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by ClickSis: 11:34pm On Aug 28, 2018
I've seen a couple of friends use both feet to control the pedals. To me, that looks awkward but then we just have to use what works best for us.
Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by RZArecta2(m): 11:56pm On Aug 28, 2018
Agadsman:

Yea, manual has clutch while automatic doesn't have.
how very surprising cool

4 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by RZArecta2(m): 12:01am On Aug 29, 2018
You people using two legs to drive automatic should please go to driving school, it's because of una road safety officials are always frustrated and angry

12 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by diportivo: 4:18am On Aug 29, 2018
RZArecta2:
how very surprising cool

Im in awe bro shocked

2 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Quality20(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2018
is auto cars not !meant for ladies? why can't u guys keep to manual
Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by divinelove(m): 7:05am On Aug 29, 2018
Quality20:
is auto cars not !meant for ladies? why can't u guys keep to manual

manual in 2018, u must be a cave man still using outdated automobile technology. abeg shift. only taxi riders n cave men like u use manual in 2018. manual is stress to drive n automatic is fun to drive

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Kaycee9242(m): 7:10am On Aug 29, 2018
I thought its only d female folks out of fear makes use of dt 2 legs, dy will be accelerating and also be stepping on d break simultaneously. I think its a wrong form of driving

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by webincomeplus(m): 7:12am On Aug 29, 2018
The correct and ideal is to use just one leg. That's why there's always a foot rest pad on the extreme left for your left foot.

But then, this is Nigeria, where people are quick to give you reasons why they just can't do things the correct way.

Most of the people using both legs for auto transmission cars are those who started out with manual cars and are used to engaging both legs while driving.

But for safety and other reasons, only the right leg is meant to be used in auto cars. One reason is that it eliminates the possibility of engaging both the brake and accelerator at the same time, which can cause serious damage to the transmission system.

Using both legs for auto cars is plain wrong. Prove me wrong if you have authentic proof!

14 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 29, 2018
webincomeplus:
The correct and ideal is to use just one leg. That's why there's always a foot rest pad on the extreme left for your left foot.

But then, this is Nigeria, where people are quick to give you reasons why they just can't do things the correct way.

Most of the people using both legs for auto transmission cars are those who started out with manual cars and are used to engaging both legs.

But for safety and other reasons, only the right leg is meant to be used in auto cars. One reason is that it eliminates the possibility of engaging both the brake and accelerator at the same time, which can cause serious damage to the transmission system.
No truth in this,I started driving in 95 (manual)and have driven that till 2007 before I switched to auto...I use just 1 leg and have never had an accident !!Seeing 2 legs drive auto is so odd sef!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by rozayx5(m): 7:25am On Aug 29, 2018
I use both legs

I just find it safer

To avoid pressing accelerate in an emergency instead of break
Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by webincomeplus(m): 7:25am On Aug 29, 2018
Benz4pimp:
No truth in this,I started driving in 95 (manual)and have driven that till 2007 before I switched to auto...I use just 1 leg and have never had an accident !!Seeing 2 legs drive auto is so odd sef!!!
I said "most"; I didn't say "all". You'll rarely find someone whose first car is an auto and who was correctly trained using both legs to drive an auto car.

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by ipobarecriminals: 7:27am On Aug 29, 2018
cool one leg driving

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by chronique(m): 7:29am On Aug 29, 2018
Right leg only. Using both legs is so odd and I wonder where you guys learnt that from. Truth is that you are prone to having accident driving with two legs, than when using just one leg.

3 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 29, 2018
webincomeplus:

I said "most"; I didn't say "all". You'll rarely find someone whose first car is an auto and who was correctly trained using both legs to drive an auto car.
most peepz that use 2 legs,learnt how to drive using manual but started full driving or their first car is a auto transmission
Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by Rhozabeth(m): 7:30am On Aug 29, 2018
Agadsman:
What prompted me to ask this particular question was that I and my friends were hanging out this last weekend and somehow we started talking about cars, to my greatest surprise my friend told me he drives his car (automatic) with both legs. That is, left leg on the brake and right leg on the accelerator and he uses them simultaneously. Sounded strange to me so I started asking around and few other people also said they drive their automatic cars with both legs.

I have always thought that the safest way to drive automatic cars is by using only the right leg since there's no clutch, the left leg has no function unlike in the manual cars where the left leg is strictly for the clutch.

I can't imagine myself using both legs for automatic cars biko.

So guys, how do you drive your automatic cars?
Bro, simply put, any one that uses the 2 legs to drive an automatic has not perfected the art of driving an automatic vehicle!
Actually hearing this for the first time!

3 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by sacramento1212: 7:37am On Aug 29, 2018
divinelove:

manual in 2018, u must be a cave man still using outdated automobile technology. abeg shift. only taxi riders n cave men like u use manual in 2018. manual is stress to drive n automatic is fun to drive

I disagree. For you to dislike manual doesn't mean many out there won't love it. Infact, i don't see a driver that only knows how to drive an automatic car as one that knows how to drive car. What happens when there's an emergency and the only vehicle available is manual, will the fellow abandon it. Manual is more fun to me than auto especially on long distance trip. A manual driver is completely in charge compared to the auto.

5 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by gantic: 7:37am On Aug 29, 2018
Rhozabeth:

Bro, simply put, any one that uses the 2 legs to drive an automatic has not perfected the art of driving an automatic vehicle!
Actually hearing this for the first time!

Not sure you can pass a driving test in any country if you are noted driving an automatic with two legs.

4 Likes

Re: Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines by bigfat05: 7:38am On Aug 29, 2018
super

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Do U Spend On Your Car Monthly Or Annually / Lagos State Ministry Of Transportation Introduces The Electronic Billing System / My Car Was Incorrectly Registered By The Previous Owner. Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.