Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars (32328 Views)

Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? / Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines / 3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MotorGuru: 10:32am On Aug 21, 2019
Automatic transmission is a torque multiplication device that is attached to your car's engine, which enables your car to shift gears automatically with little or no driver input. it is different from manual transmission in that there is no need for a pedal operated clutch. this makes your vehicle (if equipped with one ) to be very easy to drive especially in traffic jams. The ease it provides makes it very complex in its design and operation and if used incorrectly, can be easily damaged and can cost a lot of money( in some cases hundreds of thousands of Naira) to repair or replace.

The following are some key driving tips that will help keep your automatic transmission in good condition:

1.Only change from Drive to Reverse and vice versa at a complete standstill: Always ensure your vehicle comes to a complete stop before going from drive to reverse or vice versa. Shifting from reverse to drive, or vice-versa, while the car is still moving can cause increased stresses to the drive-train constant velocity joints which can lead to breakage/damage. This can also cause damage to the transmission wet clutches/ brake bands which can be a very expensive repair.so be patient and learn to use your brakes properly to stop your car.

2. Only shift to Park when you’ve come to a complete stop: You can damage or break the locking pin and the pawl mechanism that’s used to ensure your transmission is properly engaged in park. repairing this may be very costly.

3. Don't put your gear in neutral in a holdup/ stoplight : Yes i know, you will say i need to save fuel, right? No it doesn't. Your RPM actually fluctuates and, in some cases, rises when you shift from Drive to Neutral. Not only does this not help you save fuel, but the fluctuation in RPM also stresses the bands and clutch plates in your transmission, which, over time, will wear them out.

4. Putting your car gear in 'L' when stuck in a muddy place: This is bad practice, as L means your car starts from gear 1, and gear 1 gives a high torque condition which will cause spinning of your driving wheels and in severe cases overheat your transmission (Heat is a major killer of automatic transmission!)In such situation , engage your transmission in '2' so that your car can start in(or immediately shift into)2nd gear and remain in that gear until you are out of the situation.

5. Launching your automatic car by revving in Neutral and shifting to Drive: Hmm. For the awon Jason Staham (Transporter) that will put their transmission in Neutral, hold down the accelerator, then shift to Drive. This is very bad practice as this subjects the clutches and bands in these cars' transmissions are placed under huge amounts of mechanical stress due to the abrupt mashing of a stationary clutch plate with an engine that has been revved too high. this over time will wear your transmission and may call for a rebuild/ replacement sooner than expected.

36 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Epzilon: 10:37am On Aug 21, 2019
nice one

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:43pm On Aug 21, 2019
MotorGuru:
Automatic transmission is a torque multiplication device that is attached to your car's engine, which enables your car to shift gears automatically with little or no driver input. it is different from manual transmission in that there is no need for a pedal operated clutch. this makes your vehicle (if equipped with one ) to be very easy to drive especially in traffic jams. The ease it provides makes it very complex in its design and operation and if used incorrectly, can be easily damaged and can cost a lot of money( in some cases hundreds of thousands of Naira) to repair or replace.

The following are some key driving tips that will help keep your automatic transmission in good condition:

1.Only change from Drive to Reverse and vice versa at a complete standstill: Always ensure your vehicle comes to a complete stop before going from drive to reverse or vice versa. Shifting from reverse to drive, or vice-versa, while the car is still moving can cause increased stresses to the drive-train constant velocity joints which can lead to breakage/damage. This can also cause damage to the transmission wet clutches/ brake bands which can be a very expensive repair.so be patient and learn to use your brakes properly to stop your car.

2. Only shift to Park when you’ve come to a complete stop: You can damage or break the locking pin and the pawl mechanism that’s used to ensure your transmission is properly engaged in park. repairing this may be very costly.

3. [b]Don't put your gear in neutral in a holdup/ stoplight : Yes i know, you will say i need to save fuel, right? No it doesn't. Your RPM actually fluctuates and, in some cases, rises when you shift from Drive to Neutral. Not only does this not help you save fuel, but the fluctuation in RPM also stresses the bands and clutch plates in your transmission, which, over time, will wear them out.[/b]

4. Putting your car gear in 'L' when stuck in a muddy place: This is bad practice, as L means your car starts from gear 1, and gear 1 gives a high torque condition which will cause spinning of your driving wheels and in severe cases overheat your transmission (Heat is a major killer of automatic transmission!)In such situation , engage your transmission in '2' so that your car can start in(or immediately shift into)2nd gear and remain in that gear until you are out of the situation.

5. Launching your automatic car by revving in Neutral and shifting to Drive: Hmm. For the awon Jason Staham (Transporter) that will put their transmission in Neutral, hold down the accelerator, then shift to Drive. This is very bad practice as this subjects the clutches and bands in these cars' transmissions are placed under huge amounts of mechanical stress due to the abrupt mashing of a stationary clutch plate with an engine that has been revved too high. this over time will wear your transmission and may call for a rebuild/ replacement sooner than expected.

one sch of thought says it overheats the gearbox

This vehicle is for sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERz6F88U00

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MotorGuru: 1:54pm On Aug 21, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

one sch of thought says it overheats the gearbox

Nice having you here sir

The thing is that most of these practices will result to your exact sentiment: overheating of your transmission. and nothing kills a transmission faster than that as it leads to accelerated ATF degradation (burnt fluid)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MotorGuru: 4:18pm On Aug 21, 2019
Cc. Marpol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by ugreat(m): 6:42pm On Aug 21, 2019
In traffic, whats the best practice? Holding the brake? What's the best use of neutral?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by double3(m): 10:00pm On Aug 21, 2019
Nice sharing!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by weyreypey: 2:28am On Aug 22, 2019
MotorGuru:

Nice having you here sir

The thing is that most of these practices will result to your exact sentiment: overheating of your transmission. and nothing kills a transmission faster than that as it leads to accelerated ATF degradation (burnt fluid)
You are very wrong! Keeping your gear engaged in hold ups or stop lights causes overheating of the transmission. Which no automatic transmission wants or needs.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by olumzzz(m): 6:58am On Aug 22, 2019
weyreypey:

You are very wrong! Keeping your gear engaged in traffic causes overheating of the transmission. Which no automatic transmission wants or needs.
So are you saying we should always switch to Neutral while in traffic?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by weyreypey: 7:01am On Aug 22, 2019
olumzzz:

I always do so while at a stop light.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by weyreypey: 7:01am On Aug 22, 2019
olumzzz:

I always do so also while at a stop light. In fact I put it in park.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by olumzzz(m): 7:24am On Aug 22, 2019
weyreypey:

I always do so also while at a stop light. In fact I put it in park.
But another school of thought kicks against that practice.
Moreover, i think the transmission fluid is cooled by the radiator so i do not envisage where it gets overheated.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MotorGuru: 8:30am On Aug 22, 2019
olumzzz:

Moreover, i think the transmission fluid is cooled by the radiator so i do not envisage where it gets overheated.

cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by weyreypey: 9:48am On Aug 22, 2019
Well I have had the privilege of burning several transmissions. And that is my advice.

olumzzz:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by olumzzz(m): 9:59am On Aug 22, 2019
weyreypey:
Well I have had the privilege of burning several transmissions. And that is my advice.

Lol.
So how about we look at the causes of your previous experiences, is it from prolonged engagements in traffic?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MotorGuru: 7:07pm On Aug 22, 2019
olumzzz:

Lol.
So how about we look at the causes of your previous experiences, is it from prolonged engagements in traffic?

smart observation sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by lilkech(m): 9:23pm On Aug 22, 2019
when I see cars stopping ahead I switch to neutral and coast to a stop behind the car in front. I then let go of brake (engaging the handbrake if car wants to roll). When cars move I disengage the handbrake and switch to drive to move to the next stop.

Since I learned this habit the only thing I noticed is that my right leg and my brake pedal have become enemies and my brake pads last almost 2X longer than before.

Maybe it’s because I drove manual for years before even seeing auto

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by naijadrivablog: 4:36am On Aug 23, 2019
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 23, 2019
ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by philsbaba: 8:24am On Aug 23, 2019
As I never get motor nko??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by loadedvibes: 8:25am On Aug 23, 2019
Copy copy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by tellwisdom: 8:26am On Aug 23, 2019
No topic for helicopter owners?? sad

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Ajike2(m): 8:27am On Aug 23, 2019
Guilty of number 3 and 4, thanks for the correctipn. shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Geekamon(m): 8:28am On Aug 23, 2019
Man, this is informative.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Chuknovski(m): 8:32am On Aug 23, 2019
For people like me still managing manual, papa God please bless my hustle, my ride is getting old oo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by lennsmart(m): 8:35am On Aug 23, 2019
Okay. Thanks for the info. When I buy motor I go check the page

Meanwhile check my signature

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by nwamabo247(m): 8:36am On Aug 23, 2019
good info,pls help me dear people

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is This Car Called 'Big For Nothing'? / Photos Of A Man Washing His Car In A Flooded Rivers Road / This Three-wheeled Keke Napep Just Sets A 31-minute Nurburgring Lap Record

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.