Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

New To Programming: Help Needed - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / New To Programming: Help Needed (1129 Views)

C Programming Help / What Happened To Programming? / An Introduction To Programming Using C (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 11:05pm On Apr 01, 2007
Hi ya all. Am kinda new programming languages.I wanna which is the easiest and fastest to learn.I was actually thinking of go into C and most of the threads here have nothing to do wiv C prog. So am kinda confused.Please your advice and help will be highly appreciated.thanks people
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by lalaboi(m): 11:10pm On Apr 01, 2007
i started wit pascal! very easy! its good to start wit
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 11:19pm On Apr 01, 2007
Can you help wiv materials plz
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by lalaboi(m): 11:22pm On Apr 01, 2007
i'll try and get u d software and giv u a site wer u can print out d tutorial d tutorial
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 12:15am On Apr 02, 2007
Thanks man.I will be expecting 'em.
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by Seun(m): 1:40am On Apr 02, 2007
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Without knowing that, I can't recommend any programming language.
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 3:41am On Apr 03, 2007
I believe there a lot to achieve wiv programming languages ok.Hoping to develop stufss probably games softwares, et all.SO wht do you think are you gonna help?The way you said TRYING TO ACHIEVE it sounds somehow.plz hit d nail on da head aiight.
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by Seun(m): 4:00am On Apr 03, 2007
Hmmm. Games. That means you're not sure. And you're new to programming.
You should probably start with Java and PHP. Use www.google.com to search for tutorials. wink
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 4:07am On Apr 03, 2007
Thanks man.I don't think i need you need to tell me to search on google moreover programming is not all about games n softwares there are more to it.Thanks for your advice.i don't think i need PHP and Java will be way to hard to leanr aiight,
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by geebengs(m): 2:11pm On Apr 03, 2007
Hey, if you want to program good games in this age, then consider either C/C++ or java. C/C++ very good for PC games while java very good for games on phone. Then you can consider PHP in the long run. PHP will enable your games to be played on the internet. Nothing is easy to learn man. You've got to be determined. Without the passion, you will get tired or discouraged easily.
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 10:11pm On Apr 03, 2007
Thanks gee.AM already on C/C++.I don't think anything can discourage me coupled wiv the fact tht am studying Computer Sci.So which do you think i should really go for as a scrach.C,Java,Pascal, or wht.I have an idea on C.

PS. i tried compiling a program on C but the output on CMD displays only for 1sec. How can i make the CMD window stop closing itself.?
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 10:13pm On Apr 03, 2007
@ Seun
Am sorry i threw tht in ur face. I wasn't in a good mood when i replied.Plz don't be offended by my stupidity aiight.Its just tht i have this believe tht Java is hard to leanr but i dont mind going into any prog. lang. as long as i get the right tutorial and software(freeware)

thanks man
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by Seun(m): 1:48am On Apr 04, 2007
In this web age you don't think you need PHP? And you think Java is more difficult than C++? Ok o.
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 8:41am On Apr 04, 2007
I didn't mean it tht way man.Which one are you gonna help me wiv.I will be glad if you can help wiv materials.thanks
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 8:47am On Apr 04, 2007
akinwunmi:

PS. i tried compiling a program on C but the output on CMD displays only for 1sec. How can i make the CMD window stop closing itself.?

Do you have a solution for this please?
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by sbucareer(f): 10:06am On Apr 04, 2007

Use the C/C++ library called conio.h and use getch() routine within your application. Alternatively, you can use system("Pause"wink;

You could just include the "conio.h" library and use the getch() or kbhit() functions.

kbhit means Keyboard Hit

Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by MAYORIN1(m): 10:45am On Apr 04, 2007
C++, Java & PHP are poor choice to use for introducing students to computer science. While they are certainly very powerful programming language, it is also an extremely difficult language to learn and teach. I found myself constantly fighting with C++'s difficult syntax and multiple ways of doing things.

Broda, if you think Java is dam hard for you - Then start with python; ya python very easy to grasp and you get do lots of witty stuff with it. From there you can migrate to other solid OOP (say Java or C++).

Python is a multi-paradigm programming language which has a fully dynamic type system and uses automatic memory management; it is thus similar to Perl, Ruby, Scheme, Smalltalk, and Tcl. Python combines remarkable power with very clear syntax. It has modules, classes, exceptions, very high level dynamic data types, and dynamic typing. There are interfaces to many system calls and libraries, as well as to various windowing systems (X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC, wxWidgets). New built-in modules are easily written in C or C++. Python is also usable as an extension language for applications that need a programmable interface.

Since the syntax and coding technique of python is very easy and simple , its is good PL for a novice to start with.

Python is a language that can run on GNU/Linux machines as well as Windows and Macintosh platforms. It is a free software, so you can use regardless of your income. It is a language used by professional programmers, and one that had an active developer community around it. It supports both procedural and object-oriented programming. When you're writing working code nearly as fast as you can type and your misstep rate is near zero, it generally means you've achieved mastery of the language.

I will recommend this site for you
How to Thinking like Computer Scientist - Python version
http://www.computer-books.us/python_0003.php
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBooks

Python is also a scripting language, an interpretive language with its own built-in memory management and good facilities for calling and cooperating with other programs. That means you can build scintillating web application script with it and even move to Perl since that have similar structure.

—From Usenet posting by Mark Jackson, June 1998
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by masterd1(m): 11:39am On Apr 04, 2007
why not try Visual basics, i think its also a good PL
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by ciga: 4:54pm On Apr 04, 2007
Would like to know more about programming codes on microsoft windows xp.
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by Seun(m): 11:19pm On Apr 04, 2007
akinwunmi:

Do you have a solution for this please?
Yes. Run the program "cmd" and then run your program from the command line.
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 11:44pm On Apr 04, 2007
@Mayor
thanks man i will chk tht out.Yeah you are right about the hacking but Hell nooooo i aint gonna hack Nairaland aiight grin this place is more like home were we meet.

@Seun
i tried it but the s.t won't come up.any other way to do it man.thanks
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by akinwunmi(m): 12:10am On Apr 05, 2007
@Mayor
The wiki link aint ok.Any other one plz
Re: New To Programming: Help Needed by EasyWare(m): 5:24pm On Apr 06, 2007
This is my first ever post to this site. i am a "lurker". Once in a while, when I am bored, I come on here and see what's happening.

It is almost impossible to start learning software development from the deep end.
Like most things, the best way to start programming is to start at the very basics. It would never do to try to run before you can walk. I would suggest, therefore that you start and continue in this progression:

1) Learn Basic HTML
This is strictly not programming, just like learning what swimming kit to buy is not swimming. But it pays to do it.

2) Learn JavaScript
Slowly begin to introduce javaScript to your static html pages. Learning JavaScript is the beginning of your road down programming. Contrary to what many people believe, JavaScript is not simply a scripting language, it is actually an entry-level programming language which shares similar syntax and conventions with object-oriented languages like php and Java. Spend a good deal of time on JavaScript. Once you master JavaScript properly, the rao to other object oriented languages will be smooth.

3) Then learn a CGI language - you have the choice of asp, asp.NET, perl, php, jsp ,
I suggest php. Beautiful language. Easy to learn open-source, supported by 99.99% of web hosting companies, has innumerable support on the internet, works on both windows and Unix-based server, is more futureproof than all the others, is free, free, free, etc etc

4) Learn a database:
I suggest mySQL. Many of the points on php, above apply to mySQL. This nairaland forum, like 90%(guesstimate) of forums on the internet today is run on php/mySQL.

Really at this stage you can make a perfectly lucrative living with the knowledge you have, above. If you want to go farther, you would have had enough knowledge at tis stage to know which languages you would like to continue with (eg Java, C#, C, C++ , )

To some extent, what matters is not the languages you learn, but the aptitude that you have for programming. Just because you understand English would not make you a good novelist.

While studying for my masters degree a few years ago, I came across a lot of Nigerians who took up IT courses "because there was money in it"!

Many of these people just wasted their time. Some dropped out halfway, many got through by the skin of their teeth and by getting others to do their courseworks for them,

You should go into programming/software development if (1) you have a genuine interest (2) You have the aptitude and/or you are willing to learn

Anyway, i do not want to go on forever. Hope what I posted will be useful to someone.

You can see some of my software products at: http://www.easyware.co.uk

Victor

(1) (Reply)

Asp.net / What Is The Best Tool/software To Use In Developing Andriod Apps / Developing An Idea Into An Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.