Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,317 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor (23102 Views)

How Much Do Doctors Earn In Nigeria? / The New Hippocratic Oath. / 15 Things You Don’t Know About The Hippocratic Oath (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by Gracesofar(m): 10:13am On Sep 01, 2018
Hi nairalanders, though this happened last month and I still can't find a way to get over it. But the thought was triggered and I had a flashback to it vividly after I read a ladies post here on nairalanders who spoke about her experience with doctors.

Anyway, Being a doctor might be just more than a profession since they are believed more to save lives. But do they really do that. Apart from the bossy act of most doctors Talking of JOHESU vs NMA and them wanting to boss everyone around, I was want to share my experience of how I finally lost hope In doctors which also pointed out that the so-called Hippocratic oath means nothing to most of them.

I was on an official assignment to Lagos that was 3 weeks ago if I can still recollect vividly. And after the whole assignment etc, I was done and around 8pm I decided to leave Lagos back to Enugu. I was with a colleague so who set out and after passing Arepo (very near berger) I think the town name is Magboro. I wanted to park and probably get fruits to aide me she. I heard a loud thud and low and behold the car behind me hit a man trying to cross the express road. The car (a minibus) was on top speed and the impact even confused me on what was happening. I parked and I saw people rush to drag the lifeless man from the fast lane so other cars won't run him over and I was still frozen where I was. This was a middle age man lifeless on the ground with blood gushing out of him. Anyway trust Nigerians some brought out their mobile etc and other were pouring water on the blood dripping man. But I was still socked and confused. Finally, I knew the man will give up the ghost finally if he didn't receive medical attention on time. So I spoke to my colleague and we went to meet the gathering crowds and decided to help this man. We don't even know anywhere around so we just asked if anyone knows a nearby hospital and hell yeah there will always be a good Samaritan out of every 12. Anyway, we but this man in my car and with 2 other strangers showing us the route we started drubuing towards the nearest hospital in an attempt to save this complete stranger live. Getting to the hospital after much blood was on my car seat we took this man out and called the doctor in charge of the private hospital which I can't even remember the name but I know its very close to Access International School in Magboro very close to ibafo Ogun state.

Upon the doctor seeing him, he asked who the famiky so we just explained and I realise his countenance changed. He said he can't attend to him without a family member there. I never knew what the doctor meant because to me the only set of people hospitals don't attend to is bullet wound victims and at least they must give first aid.

That's how the doctor started talking that who will foot the bill etc. That he will give him treatment bla bla bla. I got so angry and I asked him if his money is more essential than a fellow human live. Anyway I told him I had no cash but if they use pos, I will deposit all the money he needs because am still going to Enugu that night. Looking at the time its to 9. The doctor said they only do cash payment etc and he can't take him in without getting some payment to start it. My colleague asked if he accept bank transfer he said No just cash. Haba I got annoyed and I sowed him my ID card when he realised am a military personnel he lower his tone of talking and he said he his sorry they don't even have any spare bed or the medications to stabilize him. Haba anyway ouyt of annoyance I issued him threat that I don't even know the man from genesis am just doing my own to save humanity. I realised he was too money conscious so I told him to Bleep off. We put the man in my car again and went to another private hospital. Getting their we had almost same issue. And to cut the long story short he doctyor didn't even give him first aide or try stabilizing him. He just said I should get a government hospital around. I was so frustrated and I loosed hope in doctors that night over been money conscious not minding an innocent life paying the price with something less than 50k. Fast forward one of the boys said he knew a government clinic at the other side. And we drove their as at then it was almost 10 at this time this man was still breathing though very slowly and he was loosing lots of blood. Anyway we got to the government hospital where I can't even describe. And I was told to write a statement etc. And before the man would be stabilized, he gave up the ghost that night.

Though have seen people die and I don't feel any way bad but that made me feel so demoralized. I'd only the first two private bastard called doctors can take him in, he will still be alive. I left the hospital and they said they will bag him etc.

Anyway that night I started my journey to Enugu and till today, my hatred for doctors hisnjust so mega even though my fiancee is a medical student.

This is a true life story that happened 3 Saturdays ago if only I was thinking straight enough to get the hospitals name

114 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by SooCute(m): 10:15am On Sep 01, 2018
Who cares about this fCT?

Its a fvckry to me!

Linda Ikeji Bullcrab,
Nigerian politicians fooling you,
Me loitering in this fvckry space,
Me liking post both for and against!
WTF is even wrong wif this planet?

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by SUPERPACK: 10:38am On Sep 01, 2018
what goes around comes back around, one day that same doctor or his wife will be in same situation and the doctors on duty will make same demand, to them they have health immunity.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by Gracesofar(m): 10:44am On Sep 01, 2018
SUPERPACK:
what goes around comes back around, one day that same doctor or his wife will be in same situation and the doctors on duty will make same demand, to them they have health immunity.

I hope and pray so

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by dominique(f): 12:27pm On Sep 01, 2018
SooCute:
My NL has been compromised.
Pls how do I change password?

Once you're logged out, the change password option is on the login page. It's better to logout (all), the feature logs you out on all devices you might be logged into
Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by sainty2k3(m): 1:19pm On Sep 01, 2018
SUPERPACK:
That same doctor can not rush to a pharmacy and get the emergency drugs on credit not to talk of getting it free. The issue about Doctors and emergency cases is like this can only be resolved with good health insurance scheme. Probably all they need to do is to scan the man's finger print , get him treated and the Insurance coy pays the bill.
If the doctor treat 3 emergencies and no one pay him. How will you ensure that you still meet that Hospital there in the nearest future

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by geunik(m): 3:35pm On Sep 01, 2018
sainty2k3:

That same doctor can not rush to a pharmacy and get the emergency drugs on credit not to talk of getting it free. The issue about Doctors and emergency cases is like this can only be resolved with good health insurance scheme. Probably all they need to do is to scan the man's finger print , get him treated and the Insurance coy pays the bill.
If the doctor treat 3 emergencies and no one pay him. How will you ensure that you still meet that Hospital there in the nearest future
How much does it cost to stabilise a patient waiting for family. Besides he offer to make payment using electronic means which they all denied. It is not as if the money is not to be paid but because medical doctors in Nigeria have lost humans sympathy

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by sainty2k3(m): 3:45pm On Sep 01, 2018
geunik:

How much does it cost to stabilise a patient waiting for family. Besides he offer to make payment using electronic means which they all denied. It is not as if the money is not to be paid but because medical doctors in Nigeria have lost humans sympathiser
The cost is not what you can determine , you will know that as you go on in the treatment. Patients have shown some doctors fa.

21 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 01, 2018
More like Hypocritic oath.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by Olaide1295: 4:07pm On Sep 01, 2018
Gracesofar:

I hope and pray so

!! You hope and pray the doctor has an accident? shocked Seriously?

9 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by worlexy(m): 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2018
OP you're no different from an average Nigerian, instead of addressing that government has failed us, you're pointing an accusing finger to the doctors. If only the govt can give all Nigerians universal health insurance coverage such issues would not have happened( what that means is that everybody will get treated when hospitals know that insurance company will pay the bills) doctors have families too, he won't feed his families with Hippocratic Oath and he didn't use charity to build his hospital neither will his staff feed on charity, who told you that he has the necessary skills and equipments to handle such a case, and if he had improvised it's people like you that will drag him to the mud that he's incompetent like the case that happened with the corper shot by the Police in Abuja.
Go and break up with your medical student Fiance because of the experience you had with doctors trying to make ends meet. Engage the relevant govt agencies and stop embarrassing yourself online.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by id4sho(m): 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2018
naija MDs are Very arrogant bastards, if one is financially buoyant, i advise top average /notch private hospitals. Government hospital/teaching hospitals na garbage.
JUTH, thunder strike all of una.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by dermmy(m): 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2018
In Nigeria na money count. Nigerian doctors don't care about hippocratic oath.They only care about hipopotamus salary grin

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by jonadaft: 4:09pm On Sep 01, 2018
99% of Nigerian doctors are scums

4 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by eleojo23: 4:10pm On Sep 01, 2018
Another thread about doctors within 24hrs.

Doctors on Nairaland will be like...grin

40 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by eleojo23: 4:10pm On Sep 01, 2018
This issue of attending to emergency cases has to be addressed.

Health insurance has to be made compulsory for everyone. Nigerians generally don't care about anything insurance, whether vehicle o or health.

But these things come in handy in times of emergencies.

The insurance companies also must be mandated to include vital tests and procedures in their insurance policies because some of them don't cover certain procedures. And the bureaucracy involved in accessing insurance has to be reduced.

Insurance will cost people money, but when compared to the benefits in times of emergency, it is a small price to pay.

Back to the story:
But how can the doctor say he doesn't accept even bank transfer? This is 2018 for Christ sake. Even the woman selling utensils in a small shop across my street accepts transfers.

10 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by webincomeplus(m): 4:10pm On Sep 01, 2018
Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by Temptee101(m): 4:11pm On Sep 01, 2018
You said lifeless man? Check well, it might be our lifeless presido

Back to the topic; you sound like you just entered the country newly, in case you did then welcome to hell but if you did not then I'm amazed you're surprised

Tell me one positive thing that is moving normal here if not corruption, stealing, skull mining, sorrow, killings, kidnappings etc... and all other vices

I'm really disappointed that you just knew how lifeless and dead this useless country is

9 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by Jossyroyal1: 4:11pm On Sep 01, 2018
This is serious,

Doctors, kindly check my signature...
Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by murphyibiam15(m): 4:11pm On Sep 01, 2018
another doctor bashing thread..

when will u all talk about the rude banker to the rude office attendants and your rude self too..self righteousness everywhere .

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by Oneboypikin: 4:11pm On Sep 01, 2018
Those Fuctards
To the Drs You did not Know all These ones before becoming a Dr in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by d33types: 4:13pm On Sep 01, 2018
Copied...

I am a Nigerian doctor, and I work in Nigeria.

I have been on call, 24/7 for the last 365 days, no weekends no leave. Why? Because the community hospital where I work in cannot afford to pay many doctors at the same time. Why? Because the patients cannot afford to pay for basic healthcare services. Why? Because the economy is bad. And if they can't pay, how can you give them QUALITY healthcare?

I handle emergencies with rechargeable lanterns.

I site intravenous lines with my phone torchlight.

I consult in a room with no fan, let alone an A.C, and I am expected to rack my brains and make diagnoses, even though I see a large number of patients within a short period of time.

I have had to operate on patients with phone torchlights.

I have had to improvise an incubator with a CARTON for a premature baby.

I have had to use a suction bulb, instead of an AMBU bag or an oxygen delivery apparatus, to resuscitate a baby.

I have had to use 5 ml syringe to resuscitate a patient in shock because there was no infusion set [compare this to using a spoon to fill a bucket with water]

I have practiced for 3 years but my bank account doesn't reflect it. Why? Most of my patients are poor and I am forced to pay for their treatment. Fact!

I have managed diabetic crises without hourly RBS, let alone tests like SEUCr [compare this to sailing without a compass, or flying without a radar]

In the western world, CT scans, MRI, ECGs are obtainable in the emergency department. Largely because there's an effective health insurance scheme. But here, my patients can't afford 3 square meals, they cant even do low cost tests like FBC, MP and PCV [each of which costs approximately #500], so how can they afford CT scans and MRIs, most of which costs as much as 50k to 80k for a single test.

How do you want me to diagnose them right when I cannot do these tests to confirm my diagnosis? By magic or clairvoyance?

I am faced with these daunting challenges. And I am faced with two choices: to watch them die, or to use my brain, my raw clinical acumen, and improvise to make ends meet. Most times I get it right. But sometimes, who knows, I may not. Why? Because I am no fucking "mutant X". I got no x-ray vision! Neither do I have a magic wand.

So next time before anyone compares me, or any other Nigerian doctor, with the average doctor in the western world who has all kinds of " medical toys" at his beck and call, the person should do well to bring such a person and place him on a 24/7, 365 days call in this shitty hell hole and compare his mortality rate with mine. Only then can we have this talk.

Yes, there are incompetent Nigerian doctors [ I am working on an article on that ], but so there is in any other profession, both in Nigeria and in the west. Yes, even in the Western world! John Hopkins recently published a study which revealed that the third commonest cause of death in the U.S of A, 3rd only to Cancer and Heart disease, is doctors' error! That is in the United States.

So, contrary to what we may think, "misdiagnosis", "negligence", "incompetence" is not peculiar to "Nigerian doctors".

We should stop blaming "Nigerian health care workers" and fix our system. The government has a lot of work to do. And until we do that, it would be unfair, perhaps inhuman, to compare our health indices with that of the western world, and to blame our healthcare workers for supposed "incompetence", when it falls short of what is obtainable in the western world.

I want a situation where there's an effective health insurance scheme in place, where the average man in the street can afford basic healthcare delivery, where I can run as much lab investigations as I want without being afraid that the patient may not be able to afford it, where every patient has an ECG monitor by his bed side, where I can do CTs and MRIs even before taking full history, where I wouldn't have to improvise incubators with cartons, where I wouldn't have to operate with phone torchlights, where ......

This is what I want. But I don't have that luxury. So I try my best to make ends meet in order to save lives. You should really take a walk in my shoes.

I am a Nigerian doctor, I work under impossible conditions and still generate positive results. I walk with my head held high.

Hoo-yah! #copied

108 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by leo1234(m): 4:13pm On Sep 01, 2018
I am glad people are beginning to speak up.
Op, in case you don't know, we don't value human life in Nigeria, we are only good at showing worthless sympathy.
It is also important you know that those doctors you met at the hospitals are sad or even depressed and looking for any possible means of leaving the country.
What we should be talking about is the way forward.
The government is not ready to make access to health care readily available and the truth is government can't do it alone.
Nigerians too can be ungrateful. About four days ago, accident victims were rushed to my Center which happens to be a government hospital. Do you believe that after giving them first aid care, they left without paying a dime nor even showing appreciation and the hospital expects the Pharmacist to account for everything been used. I saw how worried the Pharmacist was when I went to loan items for a patient with more sever injury(I believe her bill was inflated to cover for the cost of the items used in treating those that absconded). My team did the best we can for the woman and even helped with what she ate before before the arrival of her husband after a day or so.

Nigerians can form NGOs that will help in the treatment of accidents victims for the first 48 hours in all government hospitals.
Elections are coming up soon, Nigerians will only demand for roads, bridges, money and items to be shared.
Health is not our priority yet. embarassed

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by ChiefSweetus: 4:13pm On Sep 01, 2018
sad Sorry baba.. you did your best. But the truth the doctors didn't want to tell you is that the man was gonna die any which way. Internal bleeding, etc. He would've needed major surgeries they weren't equipped for. Hospital na one chance for dis our side. Sad reality of the Nigerian experience

4 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by oladayo63(m): 4:13pm On Sep 01, 2018
I can't blame the doctors. I only blame the country that has no system, talk less of a working one. I'm pretty sure the man won't have died if this happened in the United States.

This nation state calls for huge concern. I don't even know how to describe Nigeria again, I ran out of adjectives. An accident and dying victim got a second shot at life, three times at three different hospitals, and "the system" couldn't help him utilize it.

Visualize this: the man getting to after life and his Maker showing a large display of how he got there. I can imagine the Maker telling him, "I didn't kill you neither were you destined to leave earth that way. Your nation killed you. Your nation failed you!"

Amongst many problems: Health issurance = zero
Health facilities = zero
Emergency system = zero
Accountability = zero.

Nothing facinates a "human" about this nation.

As I dey see am so, a time is coming when money and riches will fail everyone, so far you are in this system. Little wonder the rich move abroad to get the goodies of a working system. Little wonder they birth their children and grandchildren in "Amelika".

Money failed the poor man. If only money could save life, he should be alive today.

The loophole here is too much and ANYONE could get catch up in it.

Op, I'm happy you chose to be one of the good eggs we have here. I'm proud of you. I won't pray for you, that won't be necessary. I believe every deed has its reward and you will surely get yours. Thank you, sir!

9 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by murphyibiam15(m): 4:14pm On Sep 01, 2018
eleojo23:
Another thread about doctors within 24hrs.

Doctors on Nairaland will be like...grin
if no one talks about you then you're nobody whether na true dem talk or na lie ....#singing

2 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 01, 2018
Doctors are jst simply 'heartless
Had a similar case with dem

1 Like

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by ilyasom(m): 4:14pm On Sep 01, 2018
You did well soldier, whats your rank
Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by maestroferddi: 4:16pm On Sep 01, 2018
We black people are just unnecessarily mean.

It gets worse when we think we are better than others by virtue of titles and designation.

1 Like

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by ChiefSweetus: 4:16pm On Sep 01, 2018
ilyasom:
You did well soldier, whats your rank
U wan promote am? See as u dey ask like General.
Idiòt grin

6 Likes

Re: Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor by chieyine(m): 4:17pm On Sep 01, 2018
Gracesofar:
Hi nairalanders
Ok
I am in my penultimate year in Medicine in Enugu ma where you travelled to so permit me to be a little kiss. But u have a fiancee in d medics so backing out
Most private hospitals are not equipped to handle emergencies.
The rationality behind him not accepting electronic payment , that I do not know and i can't say anything unless I hear from the two doctors u met.
There must be a reason.
Two doctors can't just reject electronic payment just like that.

But in handling emergencies, it is only the teaching hospitals that can comfortable handle emergencies.
As the name implies Emergencies.
We do not have all capturing health insurance scheme and those doctors have family to feed.
They might not be ready to attend to emergencies of such magnitude, increase the number of deaths the hospitals have recorded this year.
Getting the names of the hospitals would have made more sense.
But I don't think they did wrong by telling you to go to a government hospital.
If u cannot treat, Refer

But till we get their own side of the story, aint gonna bash dem and that can only occur if u have got their names and we launch our assault rifles towards them grin.
Then they will release their statements

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Wearing A Girdle / When Your Body Start Aging / Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.