Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals (23092 Views)

Asma'u Lawali Bungudu: Nurse Slumps And Dies On Duty In Zamfara Hospital (Photo) / Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients / Harassment From Male Doctors: Female Nurses/doctors, Share Your Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by ijustdey: 11:37am On Jan 05, 2023
“The day I knew I didn’t have a future practicing medicine in Nigeria was the day I was almost beaten by a patient relative in…

Nigerian doctors have taken online to share alarming stories of how they were being attacked while on duty.

The doctor with the Twitter handle @Sports_Doctor2 had started a thread of how he was almost lynched to death in the course of discharging his duties.

This comes on the heels of the murder of one of his colleagues, Dr Uyi Iluobe, by gunmen who attacked his hospital, Olive Clinic, at Oghareki, in the Ethiope West Local Government Area on New Year’s Eve.

In his case, he was almost beaten to death by an aggrieved family who accused him of killing their daughter following his intervention.

He described the experience as a terrifying moment of his life claiming that Nigerian doctors have no future practicing medicine in Nigeria.

The day I knew I didn’t have a future practicing medicine in Nigeria was the day I was almost beaten by a patient relative in children’s emergency after their daughter died.

“It took the quick thinking of the matron to use her body as shield to save me that night. What happened?

“It was a Saturday morning and I was on call in Children’s Emergency.

“I arrived my happy self, cracked jokes with the matron on call and did a brief ward round with the consultant, and Senior Register on call. We came to this baby girl that was looking seriously sick.

“She looked like a ske*** as she was severely malnourished, this also caused her to have severe sepsis (infection).

“My consultant noticed the antibiotics she was placed on weren’t working as she was still having fever, changed it, and told me to write a referral to Dietitians.

“The dietitians came reviewed and wrote out a diet plan for the child. Now if you see the parents of this girl, they both were looking healthy with the father looking like a weight lifter.

“The mum was told to go get the new drugs outside as it wasn’t available in the hospital.

“Now from just looking at that child, you would know she’s been sick at home for a long time but her parents didn’t bother to bring her to the hospital up until now her situation is critical. It was evening and the mother had not gotten the drug until her child entered “crisis”.

“We resuscitated her, that was when the consultant shouted at her and she left to get the drug immediately.

“The matron called me to come and administer the drug which I did after calculating her dose using her weight (Children’s drugs are given according to their weight).

“It wasn’t up to 30-45mins, the matron started shouting, “Doc, Doc”, we all rushed down only to see the girl having another crisis. We tried everything but the girl didn’t make it this time and while we were doing this, I saw the wife pointing at me and talking to her husband.

Immediately we told them the girl is dead, the hefty looking husband with his brothers rushed to grab me, the matron blocked them and my chiefs took me inside the Resident call room and locked the door. I could hear them shouting they will kill me, I was TERRIFIED!!!

I had to be smuggled home the next day. They believed the drug I gave a severely malnourished child with severe sepsis killed her when I did my absolute best to save her. Now, this is the plight of every average Nigerian doctor, your life is ALWAYS at risk if a patient dies,” the tweets read.

A user @krativity said it was an ugly experience for a doctor (name withheld) who almost got killed by some family members who lost their mother in 2013.

At a big hospital in Abuja in 2013, some family members jacked a doctor & were trying to throw him down from 2 storey building because their mother passed on & they insisted the doctor must continue to try. It took the help of securities to safe the doctor from dying that night,” the user disclosed.

@Winietreasure said she was almost accused of murder after administering Patient Care Management (PCM) on an aged patient who passed away a few hours later.

When I was serving as an auxiliary nurse, I administered PCM to an aged patient; two hours later, he passed, and his children came to look for me at the nursing station. They said I was the last person that attended to him. They were almost accusing me of murder,” she tweeted.

Another user @KeepMuving while lending his voice said medical practitioners were almost beaten after a guy died in an undisclosed hospital in the area.

“This makes me remember that year when one hospital in my area was destroyed because a particular guy in my area died there. Boys rushed in, beat any doctor, nurse and workers they set their eyes on. Burned down some parts of the hospital that year. Some elderly men tried to stop,” the tweep replied.

“This almost happened to me but I thank God because I was already withdrawing the injection just to inject the man and he started convulsing and he died! Had it been he convulsed after injecting him, what will be my fate?” a user with the handle @Dolcezza111 tweeted.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/doctors-share-stories-of-attack-on-duty-in-nigerian-hospitals/

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by overdrive(m): 11:45am On Jan 05, 2023
Ignorance! Tho some nurses can be mean.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Houseofglam7(f): 12:19pm On Jan 05, 2023
cry

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Patriotic9ja(m): 12:20pm On Jan 05, 2023
Attacking medical practitioners is wrong in all terms. But these doctors too should be calming down. They have done more wrongs/damages in Nigeria than the said attacks they are having. In Nigeria their level of unprofessionalism and negligence is alarming. Which have led to numerous preventable deaths and many near misses. If not that there aren't systems checkmating their shortcomings, many of them would've lost their licences and serving jail terms.... I can count many cases of medical practitioners' carelessness, negligence, and unprofessionalism, leading to losses of many forms.

110 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by jimmyolasun: 12:20pm On Jan 05, 2023
I remembered my mum attending to a malnourished sick girl whose parent didnt bring to the hospital until she was in crisis, after trials and all the girl died and the mother wanted to start creating scenes in the clinic.. my mama knowing how patients can be like landed like four thunderous slaps across her face and the lady went dumb including everyone around. even patient wey dey coma for ICU open eye check wetin make the sound.

naso she take calm the situation o. so sometimes i feel the patients tends to be dramatic and try look for who to put the blame on just like an average nigerian. so once they sense panic in you, they will want to use you as scapegoat..

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by cpu2006(m): 12:21pm On Jan 05, 2023
ok
Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by FuckDModz: 12:21pm On Jan 05, 2023
grin

No be say this doctor sabi anything sha.

Even in developed countries, doctors are sued for negligence or ineptitude. Some even lose their license to practice.

But here, we have a doctor telling the world he couldn't save a life because the girl looked like a skeleton.

Omo, Nigerian quack doctors dey enjoy sha. Most of them go abroad to become PAs (physician assistants) but they behave like Voltrons here.

Fucking bastards!

86 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by jclave22(m): 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2023
U don't blame them most Nigeria doctors are quack. The fatality they have caused is bigger than the save. Most hospital lacks the equipment to attend to a patient. And some are after pay before a life is saved. I wish they beat him so he go know say life matters.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Fedrick100: 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2023
Maybe you guys was looking for money first than saving the girl that’s why they were angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Guyman01: 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2023
If patients also tell you the lack of empathy and negligence shown to patients by medical personnel in Nigeria you will faint in horror.
We took a profusely bleeding accident victim to the hospital and I watched in horror how they were all doing as if it means nothing if the patient dies, we kept begging them to at least stop the bleeding and their response after almost 1 hour with so much laxity and nonchalance was :we don't have bed space" if you are the relative of that dying man with a gun in your pocket you won't even know when you will release your bullet on those mudafacking health workers.

It's a systemic failure and both the doctors and patients should share the blame.
We watch how they attend to emergencies abroad, just pray not to be a victim at the mercy of our health workers, some of them seem to want you to die quickly so that they can tell your relatives the usual "sorry o na so God want am" or Inna Lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un for the Muslims

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Killerbag36: 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2023
Alamajiri Tinubu said mk I give una ur balance of #500 for yesterday ,

The town hall meeting different tongue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Censive: 12:23pm On Jan 05, 2023
The story is both funny and tragic at the same time. What he said is true, sometimes patients wait until all hope is lost before deciding to go to the hospital and then turn around to blame the doctors if the person dies

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Sodiq3(m): 12:23pm On Jan 05, 2023
But that doesn't change the fact that many Nigerian doctors, especially Nurses most time show nonchalant attitude to patients.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Opportuneke(m): 12:23pm On Jan 05, 2023
The doctor had a narrow escape.
Breaking such news to the family of the victims is dangerous.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by mayskit4luv(m): 12:23pm On Jan 05, 2023
Okay
Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Kekydiv(m): 12:23pm On Jan 05, 2023
The story is one sided..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by habsydiamond(m): 12:25pm On Jan 05, 2023
It's not those peoples fault.. if the medical practitioners are quick to attend to emergency patients such incidences won't happen. Public hospitals are not the best place to go for emergencies if u don't want the victim to give up before they attend to him or her... u will see the nurses watching films on their phones or they will be asking for card money something that can be done after rescue. Some will even be abusing the patient. Saying '' na wetin he chop put am for where him dey''

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Codeblues(m): 12:25pm On Jan 05, 2023
Sad
Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Shyne2019(m): 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2023
Please Nairaland beware of this scammer with this number

+2347042392415
and account details

Williams James
Access bank

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by sofeo(m): 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2023
Alright!
Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by TheChameleon: 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2023
sad

Yes relatives attack Doctors and it's bad.

But that particular story in Benin seemed more like a cult hit.

The patient had a gunshot wound so how did his relatives come to the ward with guns?

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by LordIsaac(m): 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2023
I know that Nigerian medical practitioners have killed many in this life. May God have mercy on them! I was in one hospital when a pregnant woman died...that day, I felt instantly cold and very sorry for the relatives. But the nurses around were just gisting and laughing as if nothing happened. One was even accusing the dead of being stubborn at a point. I shook my head.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by SUNNINO(m): 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2023
Most of them their character and pride is irritating,truth be said. You signed for the job do it with diligence. But I don't support patients fighting them for any reason.

6 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by kikilove(f): 12:27pm On Jan 05, 2023
Sometimes people react to the death of their loved ones in different ways, especially from the shock of the loss.Most times the doctors nd nurses treat people like nothing especially at general hospitals.Though that is no reason to try to kill a doctor cause u lost a loved one.if u feel something went wrong then report to the right authorities

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by Offpoint1: 12:27pm On Jan 05, 2023
Patient relatives will not attack you if you didn't give some negligence altitude at the start... That's the fact.

If you tried your possible best from the beginning, no relative would attacked you. All these stories are one sided. The worse of them are some nurses.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by IamNat: 12:27pm On Jan 05, 2023
Nigerian doctors sha, nawa o. This one can even raise shoulders on top say his patient died, of course, he's right, he didn't kill the baby, and so he should brag about it. Heights of a Nigerian doctor's arrogance. No single human feeling, it's all about their pride and ego. Nonsense.

I'm not saying people should attack doctors o, please don't do that. But if you have had to deal with a Nigerian doctor before, you will understand what I am saying.

13 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by SUNNINO(m): 12:28pm On Jan 05, 2023
God bless you, you just concluded it all.
Patriotic9ja:
Attacking medical practitioners is wrong in all terms. But these doctors too should be calming down. They have done more wrongs in Nigeria than the said attacks they are having. In Nigeria their level of unprofessionalism and negligence is alarming. Which have led to numerous preventable deaths and many near misses. If not that there aren't systems checkmating their shortcomings, many of them would've lost their licences and serving jail terms....

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals by HellVictorinho6(m): 12:28pm On Jan 05, 2023
jclave22:
U don't blame them most Nigeria doctor are quack. The fatality they have cause is bigger than the save. Most hospital lacks the equipment to attend to a patient. And some are after pay before a life is saved. I wish they beat him so he go know say life matters.

So you beat the right doctor because most are wrong and the government failed to create enough medical equipment,huh?

Should that make sense to anybody?

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Wearing A Girdle / Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor / When Your Body Start Aging

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.