Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,604 members, 7,823,626 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

The Afterlife Equation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Afterlife Equation (910 Views)

Be Sure Of Your Afterlife Before You Depart / A Very False Christian Belief About The Afterlife. / What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:50am On Sep 02, 2018
We all resent the day of the inevitable, when we shall be ' no more ' .

Sometimes I have goosebumps when I know I shall become a memory, but that is not what terrifies me more.
The thought of eternity or no eternity, is more of a concern to me.
I have trained myself to take the Abrahamic Heaven and hell as a metaphor, and I believe in more of a spiritual world, than a Heaven/Hell Scenario.
I also put in occasionally the Atheist perspective of nothingness after death, and believe me this is my worst fear.

So which are you more terrified of , A complete obliteration of existence when you take your last breath, or an eternity in hell( literal or symbolic) if you cant make heaven.

As for me , I would rather prefer hell to nonexistence , because if my perspective of hell is right, I know there can't be eternity in hell, and if it is wrong no problem.

But for me , a total wipe off is a big no.

Lets hear your thoughts.

N.b the question is about hell or nonexistence, not my idea about hell, if you are interested about that, just signify me and I will quote you whenever I do a topic on that.

cc Seun Lalasticlala

Bantino, Kyase, Armadeo
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Bantino(m): 9:17am On Sep 02, 2018
My brother, most people are afraid of same thing but hey, for me as a Christian there is life after death ; heaven or hell. But my problem is the process of making heaven is becoming narrower because of what the world is turning into and the thought of hell scares the shit out of me.

I don't think that the atheist total wipe off is a possibility because I believe that whatever one sows, he shall reap.

From my own personal view, Could it be that when one dies, he is born elsewhere to continue the existence of life without knowing whom he/she was, as a new born baby cannot know where he/she came from or how he/she got here. (note that I'm not talking about reincarnation). If you did bad in your previous life, you will live the new life being a recipient of bad things. If you did good, then you will be recipient of good things.

Have you ever wondered why bad things happen to good people and vice versa?

Lastly as a Christian, we should try as much as possible to walk in the right direction with biblical teachings in other to make heaven. It is a win win, if there is no heaven, you must have lived a good life on earth, and if there is, you will be among those who made it. hallelujah!!!
Re: The Afterlife Equation by sonmvayina(m): 9:44am On Sep 02, 2018
There is only life... And nothing more.. Life is all there is.. There is no after or before..

Life and death are but the same thing... Death is nothing but an illusion... We are spiritual beings having a human experience.. Just as a NASA astronaut need a special suit to adapt to life on the moon, this body of ours is also a suit to adopt to life on this bigger moon called the earth.. This special suit was made with materials (sand) found on earth.. So when you are leaving, you drop it behind...

If you want another experience, you can come again but on a different suit as the previous one has been destroyed.. What makes it interesting is that you won't remember your past experience.. So the job here is "man know thyself"..
But the experience is stored in a special gland called the pineal gland.. If you can activate it.. Then Bro.. You are basically God on earth...

Good luck.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by sonmvayina(m): 9:54am On Sep 02, 2018
The righteous man Job, after going through a difficult patch in life from the death of his children and the loss of his livelihood.. Exclaimed "naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I shall return there again"
He wanted to give this life up and come back again.. Which was the old testament and general belief round the world.. Job1:20-22.

You have to wait for 100s of years before the Romans invented the heaven and hell destination as a form of social engineering... God never said those where mans final abode... God does not change his mind as he is not a man or human being, Number23 :19
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Kyase(m): 9:57am On Sep 02, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Sometimes I have goosebumps when I know I shall become a memory, but that is not what terrifies me more.
I have trained myself to take the Abrahamic Heaven and hell as a metaphor, and I believe in more of a spiritual world, than a Heaven/Hell Scenario.
I also put in occasionally the Atheist perspective of nothingness after death, and believe me this is my worst fear.

So which are you more terrified of , A complete obliteration of existence when you take your last breath, or an eternity in hell( literal or symbolic) if you cant make heaven.

As for me , I would rather prefer hell to nonexistence , because if my perspective of hell is right, I know there can't be eternity in hell, and if it is wrong no problem.

Lets hear your thoughts.

N.b the question is about hell or nonexistence, not my idea about hell, if you are interested about that, just signify me and I will quote you whenever I do a topic on that.

cc Seun Lalasticlala

Bantino, Kyase, Armadeo

A complete blackout is a No No for me, butbbeing in pain for ever in hell is another issue, and also, an enternity in hell is something i don't believe, not a Jehovah witness but i think their narratives on life after death make alot of sense to me....

1 Like

Re: The Afterlife Equation by EmperorHarry: 10:12am On Sep 02, 2018
"To be mortal is the most basic human experience and yet man has never been able to accept it,grasp it and behave accordingly. Man doesn't know how to be mortal"
-Milan Kundera
Even Socrates,one of the greatest philosophers to ever exist wasn't too excited to accept oblivion as the final end of a man's life as he did for continuity in the form of an afterlife. So obviously nobody really wants to stop existing once they've experienced what it's like to exist but to me,existence is dependent on the brain. To know more about this theory,you can google "Eternal oblivion".Read the wiki results.
So to answer your question.I am more terrified of an after life regardless of the state it's actually in. Hell or heaven,Reincarnation,even just a life without punishment&judgement or Utopia. Except we become robots lacking the ability to think for ourselves or want things for ourselves then the afterlife would be a burden I'd have to bear for eternity(let this word sink in)
Re: The Afterlife Equation by EmperorHarry: 10:25am On Sep 02, 2018
sonmvayina:
There is only life... And nothing more.. Life is all there is.. There is no after or before..

Life and death are but the same thing... Death is nothing but an illusion... We are spiritual beings having a human experience.. Just as a NASA astronaut need a special suit to adapt to life on the moon, this body of ours is also a suit to adopt to life on this bigger moon called the earth.. This special suit was made with materials (sand) found on earth.. So when you are leaving, you drop it behind...

If you want another experience, you can come again but on a different suit as the previous one has been destroyed.. What makes it interesting is that you won't remember your past experience.. So the job here is "man know thyself"..
But the experience is stored in a special gland called the pineal gland.. If you can activate it.. Then Bro.. You are basically God on earth...

Good luck.
On an average most people don't have the opportunity to recall but on account of recent evidence, certain people including adults and children are able to recall past lives vividly providing a lot of verifiable details like how they died and where they lived etc.On investigation,this is found to be true.But I'm not a hundred percent sure this stories aren't made up just like stories about ghost and time travel(This one really excited me cos I believe time travel is possible)

1 Like

Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 5:45pm On Sep 07, 2018
Kyase:

A complete blackout is a No No for me, butbbeing in pain for ever in hell is another issue, and also, an enternity in hell is something i don't believe, not a Jehovah witness but i think their narratives on life after death make alot of sense to me....
I fear the complete black out more, even though it is more illogical, I don't know why.
It does not have anything to do with JWs , I think it bis the fear of putting in effort and loosing it all.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 5:53pm On Sep 07, 2018
Bantino:
My brother, most people are afraid of same thing but hey, for me as a Christian there is life after death ; heaven or hell. But my problem is the process of making heaven is becoming narrower because of what the world is turning into and the thought of hell scares the shit out of me.

I don't think that the atheist total wipe off is a possibility because I believe that whatever one sows, he shall reap.

From my own personal view, Could it be that when one dies, he is born elsewhere to continue the existence of life without knowing whom he/she was, as a new born baby cannot know where he/she came from or how he/she got here. (note that I'm not talking about reincarnation). If you did bad in your previous life, you will live the new life being a recipient of bad things. If you did good, then you will be recipient of good things.

Have you ever wondered why bad things happen to good people and vice versa?

Lastly as a Christian, we should try as much as possible to walk in the right direction with biblical teachings in other to make heaven. It is a win win, if there is no heaven, you must have lived a good life on earth, and if there is, you will be among those who made it. hallelujah!!!
I try my best to live a good life, am even afraid of jumping queues, of given the opportunity, this is because I want to live a good and examplary life, I have a lot of short comings but am seriously working on it.
But recently my perspective of life and religion/spirituality is getting broader and am beginning to factor in other things,
Like I said an off switch is more terrifying for me, I don't know why.
I will keep on trying my best to do the right thing and will prefer to be reincarnated as a plant rather than the end.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 5:56pm On Sep 07, 2018
sonmvayina:
The righteous man Job, after going through a difficult patch in life from the death of his children and the loss of his livelihood.. Exclaimed "naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I shall return there again"
He wanted to give this life up and come back again.. Which was the old testament and general belief round the world.. Job1:20-22.

You have to wait for 100s of years before the Romans invented the heaven and hell destination as a form of social engineering... God never said those where mans final abode... God does not change his mind as he is not a man or human being, Number23 :19
I think the idea of Heaven and Hell changed the idea of the spiritual world / religion and a lot of things, we dont know if the are a metaphor or direct speech, but one thing is certain, Energy cannot be destroyed it can only be transformed and that is where it gets more confusing.

1 Like

Re: The Afterlife Equation by Kyase(m): 6:24pm On Sep 07, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

I fear the complete black out more, even though it is more illogical, I don't know why.
It does not have anything to do with JWs , I think it bis the fear of putting in effort and loosing it all.
it's true, i will prefer to turn to another creature just like the ancient Hawaiian mythology.....
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:25pm On Sep 07, 2018
EmperorHarry:
"To be mortal is the most basic human experience and yet man has never been able to accept it,grasp it and behave accordingly. Man doesn't know how to be mortal"
-Milan Kundera
Even Socrates,one of the greatest philosophers to ever exist wasn't too excited to accept oblivion as the final end of a man's life as he did for continuity in the form of an afterlife. So obviously nobody really wants to stop existing once they've experienced what it's like to exist but to me,existence is dependent on the brain. To know more about this theory,you can google "Eternal oblivion".Read the wiki results.
So to answer your question.I am more terrified of an after life regardless of the state it's actually in. Hell or heaven,Reincarnation,even just a life without punishment&judgement or Utopia. Except we become robots lacking the ability to think for ourselves or want things for ourselves then the afterlife would be a burden I'd have to bear for eternity(let this word sink in)
I wish I had that moral, but I think an absence of eternity, might give rise to global moral breakdown due to the effect that most people are used to a re ward system.
I actually asked two young girls now and they preferred the blackout option.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:27pm On Sep 07, 2018
Kyase:
it's true, i will prefer to turn to another creature just like the ancient Hawaiian mythology.....
Can you let us know about the Hawaiian mythology

........ and am back for the weekend grin
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Kyase(m): 9:11pm On Sep 07, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Can you let us know about the Hawaiian mythology

........ and am back for the weekend grin
in summary, before you die, you draw a tattoo of any creature you want to turn into after death..... pretty cool.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Martinez19(m): 11:13pm On Sep 07, 2018
I always take pride in my ability to confront the truth no matter how sad and crushing it might be. However I am not afraid of disappearing into nothing after death neither am I afraid of death itself however, the only thing I can't help but fear is a painful death process.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:29pm On Sep 08, 2018
Kyase:

in summary, before you die, you draw a tattoo of any creature you want to turn into after death..... pretty cool.
Tattoo of a blue whale on my mind.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:33pm On Sep 08, 2018
Martinez19:
I always take pride in my ability to confront the truth no matter how sad and crushing it might be. However I am not afraid of disappearing into nothing after death neither am I afraid of death itself however, the only thing I can't help but fear is a painful death process.
I think what most of us fear is not the death itself but the nothingness after.
I feel it distresses the mind, that after putting in so much effort into living, that is it, nothing more.
Everyone is eager to know if their efforts yielded results, and oblivion is not seen as an option.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Afterlife Equation by Kyase(m): 2:18pm On Sep 08, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Tattoo of a blue whale on my mind.
lol, i will go for hydra grin grin
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:30pm On Sep 08, 2018
Kyase:
lol, i will go for hydra grin grin

So what if one of your heads pick up a quarell with another head grin
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Kyase(m): 2:43pm On Sep 08, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

So what if one of your heads pick up a quarell with another head grin
We disagree to agree.
Nothing that can't be resolved..... grin
Re: The Afterlife Equation by EmperorHarry: 7:03pm On Sep 11, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

I wish I had that moral, but I think an absence of eternity, might give rise to global moral breakdown due to the effect that most people are used to a re ward system.
I actually asked two young girls now and they preferred the blackout option.

Funny story is that it's not a black out,it's nonexistence so there's no experience of oblivion.. If you've ever had a dreamless sleep and was asked to narrate what it felt like.You'd prolly say it was like a void or complete darkness but then it's not,your brain can't process true oblivion so it breaks it down to the level it can comprehend.
Also yes I believe religion and religious doctrines are moral compasses for unintelligent humans,only really intelligent people become atheists. So I actually support religion in developing countries cos the level of intelligence is less compared to that of developed countries
Religion and it's doctrines are vital during the infancy of any civilization intelligence.There are more atheists in America than there are in Nigeria cos there's a huge intelligence gap between the two countries.There will come a time when humanity wouldn't need religion to be moral but I doubt it'd happen before our extinction

1 Like

Re: The Afterlife Equation by Kobojunkie: 4:01am On Feb 16
Proudlyngwa:
■ We all resent the day of the inevitable, when we shall be ' no more ' .Sometimes I have goosebumps when I know I shall become a memory, but that is not what terrifies me more. The thought of eternity or no eternity, is more of a concern to me. I have trained myself to take the Abrahamic Heaven and hell as a metaphor, and I believe in more of a spiritual world, than a Heaven/Hell Scenario. I also put in occasionally the Atheist perspective of nothingness after death, and believe me this is my worst fear. So which are you more terrified of ,
A complete obliteration of existence when you take your last breath, or an eternity in hell( literal or symbolic) if you cant make heaven. As for me , I would rather prefer hell to nonexistence , because if my perspective of hell is right, I know there can't be eternity in hell, and if it is wrong no problem. But for me , a total wipe off is a big no. Lets hear your thoughts. N.b the question is about hell or nonexistence, not my idea about hell, if you are interested about that, just signify me and I will quote you whenever I do a topic on that.
1. You seem not to understand the following of the Abrahamic equation:

A. The entirety of man — mind, body, and soul — was made from the physical clay of this earth. (Not spiritual aspect to man.) God inserted His breath afterward to animate man - Genesis 2 vs 6 - 7. That breath returns to the maker after man's life on earth ceases.

B. All men who die outside of God's Law cease to exist — return to dust/nothing — after they breathe their last on this earth - Genesis 3 vs 19 - 24.

C. God promised to the children of Israel — descendants of Abraham, Isaac, AND Jacob ONLY — by way of His Old Law of Moses, Eternal Life(After Life) if and only if they meet His standard of Holiness and Righteousness - Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20 & Ezekiel 18 vs 1 - 31 & Ezekiel 33 vs 10 - 20. This promise kicks in after death — not in this life.

D. Jesus Christ's offer of Eternal Life(afterlife) to the Lost sheep of Israel — descendants of Abraham, Isaac, AND Jacob — who would become born-again takes effect in this life and is for all who would become born-again regardless of whether they stand faithful to Him until the end or not. They become Spirit humans in this life, unlike the options available to those of the Old Law of Moses.

2. Heaven(Eternal Reward) and Hell(Eternal Damnation) are only available to the Lost sheep of Isreal — descendants of Abraham, Isaac, AND Jacob — and those among them who become born-again - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. Non-Israelites cease to exist when they die with the soul or mind never leaving the body even at the end. undecided
Re: The Afterlife Equation by paxonel(m): 6:48am On Feb 16
Proudlyngwa:

Lets hear your thoughts.

cc Seun Lalasticlala

Bantino, Kyase, Armadeo
You don't need to be afraid of anything.
After ones death, what will happen to him is his existence on this earth(his heaven) or his non existence on this earth( his hell fire) and nothing more, depending on whether the person believes or not.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:47am On Feb 16
paxonel:

You don't need to be afraid of anything.
After ones death, what will happen to him is his existence on this earth(his heaven) or his non existence on this earth( his hell fire) and nothing more, depending on whether the person believes or not.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
How do you know this.

Any NDE to back it up.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by paxonel(m): 1:59pm On Feb 16
Proudlyngwa:

How do you know this.

Any NDE to back it up.

what is NDE please?
There are several scriptures in the bible to back it up. For instance,

Romans 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:21pm On Feb 16
paxonel:
what is NDE please?
There are several scriptures in the bible to back it up. For instance,

Romans 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Near death experience NDE

Scripture is not an authority for non chrisians

1 Like

Re: The Afterlife Equation by Kobojunkie: 4:24pm On Feb 16
Proudlyngwa:

How do you know this.
Any NDE to back it up.
As with any text written in human language by hands of humans, context is meant to be respected or else, one not only speaks a message completely different from that intended by the author of the text , but also creates an idea that is of delusion and unproven. The context of John 3 vs 1 - 21 details instead the conversation that Jesus Christ had on that which are born-again. Unbelievers -- to those who are not born-again cannot experience John 3 vs 18.
Re: The Afterlife Equation by Dtruthspeaker: 4:27pm On Feb 16
Proudlyngwa:

I also put in occasionally the Atheist perspective of nothingness after death, and believe me this is my worst fear....

These are the words of self deceit and self delusion. A person trains himself to deceive himself with self denial.

You are not going to any oblivion as you wish but to awaiting trial room.

just as you did not determine that you would come into this world, you have no right and power to determine where you shall go after you do what we call die. Which is why you are using power to decieve yourself against what you cannot control.

(1) (Reply)

Carissa Sharon Oyakhilome Celebrates Fiancé's Birthday [see Pictures] / Is It A Sin To Decide Not To Get Married? / Eid In Sokoto: Malam Musa Lukuwa Defies Sultanate Orders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.