Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,612 members, 7,816,514 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures (912 Views)

So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? / The True Story Of Oduduwa / History Of Oduduwa (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures by jara: 10:44pm On Sep 02, 2018
I find this interesting from another thread and may be educative on the journey of Oduduwa and Ife from the North to the Rain Forest.

It may also shed light on why Yoruba (per Baba Amed) were prominent in Timbuktu's University when they were all lumped together and taken as slave to Morocco.

If you remember Baba Amed complained bitterly that Muslims should not be taken as slaves on the Mossi, Yoruba etc that stuck to their own beliefs should be take as slaves.

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by onagon7: 10:06am On Aug 19, 2017

Awori people resulted from a mixture of Ebira-Koto and Ugbo/Ilaje peoples. in 12th century, Igbira (Apa) people under their warlord called Odaudu (Oduduwa) migrated from ancient Ebira Kingdom of Opanda to Ife and conquered Ugbo/Orinsala aborigins of Ile-Ife. after he overthrew the Alafin/Olofin of Ugbo in Ife and Oyo, he and his Ebira warriors went to Benin (Igodomigodo) and overthrown the Ogiso and Uzama dynasties. Oranmiyan was not a son or grandson of Oduduwa. you have to know that Oduduwa is the same person which Yorubas called Oranmiyan/Oloko or Oranyan who was an Ebira warrior and conqueror from ancient Igbira Kingdom of Opanda which was called Kwararafa by Hausas. aboriginal Ugbos of Ife called him "Oduduwa". from Benin in 17th century, those Igbira warriors under their leader called Ado (Ada) migrates to Lagos Island and conquered and mix with Ugbo/Ilaje aborigins and some people called Fon. this mixture of Igbira with Ugbo and Fon people in Lagos area gave rise to Awori people and their language.

https://www.nairaland.com/3455746/yoruba-eegun-clash-ajah-lagos/4
Re: Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures by macof(m): 1:06pm On Sep 05, 2018
All these so called versions are new claims that have no place in the tradition of the people.

In Ife however, the traditions of the major families point to Oke-ora as the original home of Oduduwa

1 Like

Re: Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures by jara: 1:30pm On Sep 08, 2018
Even if Oduduwa came from Oke Ora, he had to come from somewhere. It does not negate the fact that he sojourn all over Africa and beyond.

After all Sango is more popular beyond than within Nigerians.

It does not make a difference if it was the ODUDUWA the first, second or third. As long as we know the same Oduduwa could not have lived for centuries.

Ijaw have him as Adumu.
Re: Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures by Olu317(m): 12:25am On Sep 09, 2018
jara:
Even if Oduduwa came from Oke Ora, he had to come from somewhere. It does not negate the fact that he sojourn all over Africa and beyond.

It does not make a difference if it was the ODUDUWA the first, second or third. As long as we know the same Oduduwa could not have lived for centuries.

Ijaw have him as Adumu.
Out of all these big bang theories, one is true. As far as I am concerned, I know that the God ,who created the man Olofin,whom is controversially known even by Ijaws, as Adumu will laugh at all. Do you know Adimula isnt a name but a title ? Visit the oriki of Ooni Ogunwusi and read it throughly to understand its tentative meaning if you can decipher..

grin cheesy grin ,you will pay me unmeasured bounty for the leeway I have given you.
Re: Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures by jara: 4:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
Olu317:
Do you know Adimula isnt a name but a title ? Visit the oriki of Ooni Ogunwusi and read it throughly to understand its tentative meaning if you can decipher..

grin cheesy grin ,you will pay me unmeasured bounty for the leeway I have given you.

Thanks in advance. You have to make it easier for some of us by quoting the relevant part of that ORIKI here.

1 Like

Re: Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures by macof(m): 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2018
jara:

Ijaw have him as Adumu.
Whether he sojourned all over africa or not is not an issue currently, what people need to learn is that Oke-ora is the origin of oduduwa as his origin is currently the subject of controversy

That Ijaw Adumu story doesnt add up, it is more of a product of online miscreants, there is absolutely no source to that story
Re: Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures by jara: 5:58pm On Sep 09, 2018
Until people usurp Oduduwa from Ife, there is no alarm. But if their story reinforce Ife origin as the Ijaw did pass through Ife, it can only be interpreted as one family with different branches from the same Iroko trees.

The story is not built on line, it has been researched since the days of Ikoli and Awolowo.

Compare that to those who claim to be the father of Oduduwa in the 12th century!

macof:
Whether he sojourned all over africa or not is not an issue currently, what people need to learn is that Oke-ora is the origin of oduduwa as his origin is currently the subject of controversy

That Ijaw Adumu story doesnt add up, it is more of a product of online miscreants, there is absolutely no source to that story
Re: Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures by macof(m): 6:25pm On Sep 09, 2018
jara:
Until people usurp Oduduwa from Ife, there is no alarm. But if their story reinforce Ife origin as the Ijaw did pass through Ife, it can only be interpreted as one family with different branches from the same Iroko trees.

The story is not built on line, it has been researched since the days of Ikoli and Awolowo.

Compare that to those who claim to be the father of Oduduwa in the 12th century!

I dont know how much of what is happening you have been following but there are attempts to claim oduduwa from Ife.

What are the names of these researchers?

I hope you are aware that Ijaw nation is not homogenous? there are Edoid groups who are part of the Ijaw nation today and even the Ijoid Ijaws do not a have common tradition of origin.

So learn to question where ever or who ever you are getting your history from
Re: Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures by jara: 8:51pm On Sep 09, 2018
I do get your point. I think the Edo have taught us a lesson.

Even Prof. Ajaiyi waited too long to respond and when he did, he was complacent.

Ife will forever be the home of Oduduwa. Lagos will forever be the land of Yoruba.

Ore was almost gone until the spirit of Ilorin was invoked. Never again will Yoruba sit still under the excuse of accommodation and tolerance and allow what is ours to be usurped by others.

We are no American Indians.

Nevertheless, those seeking affiliation with Yoruba will always relate to Oduduwa. Not only in Nigeria but worldwide.

macof:
I dont know how much of what is happening you have been following but there are attempts to claim oduduwa from Ife.
embarassed
What are the names of these researchers?

I hope you are aware that Ijaw nation is not homogenous? there are Edoid groups who are part of the Ijaw nation today and even the Ijoid Ijaws are do not a have common sense of origin.

So learn to question where ever or who ever you are getting your history from

(1) (Reply)

Ose Itusile Lowo Gbogbo Idiwo Aiye/asina / "Good Morning" Is Not "Ututu Ọma" / Anti-americanism 'feels Like Racism'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.