Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,534 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Game Development: Join The Team - Programming (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Development: Join The Team (54026 Views)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:49am On Oct 29, 2010
more

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:58am On Oct 29, 2010
lastly

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 12:27pm On Oct 29, 2010
@worldbest: Nice.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Ojukwu24(m): 1:12pm On Oct 29, 2010
You guys have done so well.My system is ok now. So what next? Since you've done the modeling, is there any need for me to do it again?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 3:20pm On Oct 29, 2010
@GA

Some of the objects in the scene dont act well when a collider is applied.Like the goal post and the electric post, i was unable to walk through/inside after applying a box collider. The gutters did not display correctly. All this errors are there because the world was made in blender. We need to create this world in unity, on a unity terrain so that we can take advantage of unity's terrain physics and other features. Blender should be used for modelling the world components,that way we can size things independently and accurately. For example the goal post.

My suggestion is we should try to port the blender world into unity.

@Ojukwu
Nice to know your pc is ok now. As at now most of the models we'l need are Realistic houses, koisk,shops,mosque,church etc. Make a 2 or 3 storey building, with no space inside and a shop for now. We can populate the scene with this models. What tool are you using for modelling? Thanks

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Ojukwu24(m): 7:05pm On Oct 29, 2010
I use maya but i can export it blender after. Let me see what i can do. You know i'll have to reinstall all my softwares after the repair on the system.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:08pm On Oct 29, 2010
@ worldbest: I left some holes close to the points where I merged the vertices of the gutter planes to the main center plane. Dunno if that's what you are describing. Unity's auto smoothing on import also makes edges hard to notice so the bottom is kinda unclear. I haven't figured out how to turn it off in unity3.

As for being able to enter parts of meshes sometimes, especially when turning the camera while the model is close, it always happens no matter the modeling program you use. The mesh collider system is not yet perfected and I've read several posts on the forums where people say they take time to arrange and use the other types of colliders. These are also not perfect. Another cause may be the normals. Everything thing seems to be like normal behavior here though. Does it happen with all the poles? Is it when the camera is very close?

You could open the file in blender and inpect it for normals especially the goal posts. I couldn't decide if I should use a box or cylinder for the goal post and ended up rushing things. I might have missed some things. I'll check it later.

Yes we could use unity's terrain. I think it will be necessary if we eventually get all the parts together and make a complete environment. The only thing is that we can't get as much details as with a modelling program. It will be difficult to make thinks like gutters in it. We'll eventually have to patch things here and there.

@Ojukwu: Like worldbest said, we've still got a lot of work to do. How's your texturing?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 31, 2010
Sorry for going off topic, but we need more people for an upcoming programming contest, so I decided to post a link to it here since this thread has been sticky[b]ied.[/b]

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-541906.0.html
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Dkaz(m): 5:54am On Nov 01, 2010
Really do you
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by GraphMoney: 12:06pm On Nov 01, 2010
GA & WB,

Well done and I must applaud your tenacity and consistency. Please keep to what you have set out to do, definitely not a contest,at least for now!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 2:45pm On Nov 01, 2010
@GraphMoney

Thanks alot. Contest? I havent sensed that.

@GA:

I understad you. To make the collider work well, we need to build models and their various parts independently,like for example,the goal post, lets say we use cylinders for the poles, we can later export the model and apply colliders to the individual poles/cylinders. As for the gutter, that is one difficult thing to achieve without blender. The rest of the scene is very cool.

As for a gutter, we can create that in unity with multiple terrains. We leave space between the terrain and place the gutter model in the space. I think there is a function that makes the terrains work together. Terrain.setNeighbours

Currently, i am working on a project that is taking my time. Hopefully i will have some freedom by d weekend.

------
I am not saying we should recreate the level, NO, this level i perfect to begin work.

Happy new month everyone.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by AZeD1(m): 5:28pm On Nov 01, 2010
@worldbest and gameaddict, good work guys, signed up at d beginning but fell off due to work, however when u guys need to start programming, i wont mind doing a module.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 01, 2010
Name: Olayokun Damola Mutiu
Email: yokun4real@yahoo.com
Phone: 08056658411
Skills: Computer Networking, I hope am welcome here as i have absolutely no skillz with regards to Programming but i know i have the brain and also i have developed a game(Educational game) which still need to be programmed anyway,

So,where do i sign in
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 10:49pm On Nov 01, 2010
@ Olayokun: You're in, start contributing what you can. If you'd like to work on gameplay or programming, download the game engine we're using at http://www.unity3d.com The scripting language is kinda okay to learn. The only challenge will be learning and applying new concepts related to 2d and 3d which I'm sure you'll be able to do.

@ GraphMoney: Thanks. Ain't no contest in here unless there's something you're not telling us.

@ Worldbest : Cool. Great idea. I had a go at unity's terrain system and it looks like it's essentially a one sided plane. I was worried about the memory and size additions as well additional work we might need to do but it seems we'll still have to use it because it may actually offer us more and we can tweak it's shape to get different looks.

@ A- zed: Welcome back.

I just finished the school registration today and will try completing the faculty and departmental ones soon. Will try my hands on some scenes.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by GraphMoney: 3:55pm On Nov 02, 2010
GA, WB,

An 'off' topic post by omo_to-dun refers to a prog contest! But I urge you to ignore that for the project at hand!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 02, 2010
GraphMoney:

GA, WB,

An 'off' topic post by omo_to-dun refers to a prog contest! But I urge you to ignore that for the project at hand!

Seriously? That is not fair. I know that this project is dear to all involved, but the contest is not a project, so it will not take more than a couple of hours to implement. And since it also has a time limit, all can rest assured that it will not take forever to complete.

The contest is an avenue for a programmer to show his skills. If this contest---and possibly future ones---succeeds, we will have a repository of codes written by NLanders so that whenever anyone needs a programmer or developer for a future project you can always check his previous works, supposing he had participated in previous contests.

I also invite you to join, you might not solve the problems if you don't have time, but just take a look at them for fun cheesy

The problems will be posted tomorrow.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 7:25pm On Nov 02, 2010
@GraphMoney: Thanks for the advice. I understand your concern especially given the fact that we still need a lot of focus and hard work on the current project.

That said, I don't think it's a bad idea for anyone involved in the project to participate especially now that omo_to-dun has stated that the timescale will be really short.

@omo_to_dun : Your contest is a nice effort and is well appreciated. I've checked out the page and I'm happy people are signing up.

I'm hoping you will make this and the future ones enjoyable and intuitively challenging for all involved as this is something that can spur people's creativity to greater heights.

I myself may not be able to participate in this particular one because I'm very busy for now but I'll try checking out the question(s) when you post them.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Dkaz(m): 8:04pm On Nov 04, 2010
Cool
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 04, 2010
gameaddict:

@GraphMoney: Thanks for the advice. I understand your concern especially given the fact that we still need a lot of focus and hard work on the current project.

That said, I don't think it's a bad idea for anyone involved in the project to participate especially now that omo_to-dun has stated that the timescale will be really short.

@omo_to_dun : Your contest is a nice effort and is well appreciated. I've checked out the page and I'm happy people are signing up.

I'm hoping you will make this and the future ones enjoyable and intuitively challenging for all involved as this is something that can spur people's creativity to greater heights.

I myself may not be able to participate in this particular one because I'm very busy for now but I'll try checking out the question(s) when you post them.

Thank you very much!

The problem has been posted.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-545460.0.html
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by misteri: 11:03pm On Nov 05, 2010
Name: misteri
Email: ........
Phone: ............
Skills: VB.NET (,Basic)
Aimee Studio (basic
C++ (Intermidiate)
DazStudio (intermediate)
Xara3D (Basic)
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Ojukwu24(m): 1:38am On Nov 06, 2010
Am sorry i may not be able to do anything on the project again unless a miracle happens now. My system finally packed up the day i started the model. They said i shld change the board bc the on-board gpu is dead. But am strongly behind u guys.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 8:43pm On Nov 06, 2010
@misteri: Welcome to the team.

@ Ojukwu24: Sorry about your system. I hope they fix it soon. I hope it won't stop you from contributing to the project in other areas. We need all the help we can get.

@Everyone: I've been thinking about the AI and tried my hands on states and triggers. I've gotten a fairly good way to get another character to follow the player depending on it's state (FOLLOW, STOP OR LEAVE).

It follows the player as long as it's distance from the player is at a greater distanceĀ  from the wanted distance, the player is moving(vertical or horizontal input buttons are being pressed) and it's state is FOLLOW. If the player stops moving and the character has reached it's wanted distance, the state changes to STOP and it waits till the player moves and reaches a greater distance again.

I added a trigger to a child object of the character and created a script to send a message to the parent's script whenever the player enters the trigger. The message informs the character to enter the LEAVE state. This makes the character move a little distance away from the player. This is in case it is blocking the player's path.

The only change left to make is to use the character's CharacterController.Move() function with a direction vector rather than changing the position directly. This may help make setting the character's angle and position easier because it always follows the player the set distance directly at his back right now which is not really suitable. I'll also look into why the player's character controller won't collide with the trigger if it's below it like when the player is in the gutter and the character is above. I'll post the scripts when I'm done.

@ omo_to_dun: Nice puzzle. It looks like it requires AI related algorithms. Either that or I've played and read about too many games. I don't think it can be solved in a few hours by those of us who haven't been studying those things though. I tried my hands at it when I had the chance. My solver class is weak and unfinished at the moment though.

Anyways, I hope someone solves it soon. Wouldn't be nice to have an unfinished competition. Please notify us when someone does. I also hope you're not posting your college assignments as questions for people to solve grin That'd be a bummer. I'd also like to suggest that you post general questions too and not just stuff like this. That way, people with different strengths, interests and levels can participate. It'll help a lot of people. Thanks for the competition.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 06, 2010
gameaddict:

I also hope you're not posting your college assignments as questions for people to solveĀ  grin That'd be a bummer.

LOL. No, I am not. I really do not know how strong NL programmers are, so I just decided to post an interesting problem. However, I hold NL programmers in high regard because of the quality and content of their posts and purported skills. Next time, I'll try to post a simpler problem; in my school, this kind of problem cannot be assigned as a problem set since it is a classic problem with readily available answers. Instead, we are given NP-complete problems to solve.

gameaddict:

Please notify us when someone does.

Actually, lojik sent me the correct solutions, but he supplied no code, which was not helpful at all.

gameaddict:

I'd also like to suggest that you post general questions too and not just stuff like this. That way, people with different strengths, interests and levels can participate. It'll help a lot of people. Thanks for the competition.

That is the most thoughtful suggestion anyone has given me so far. I definitely will. If you want the solution, I can email it to you. I have the pseudo-code and a Python implementation.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 2:11pm On Nov 07, 2010
@omo_to_dun: I researched the question last night and discovered there were many solutions to the puzzle. Most of them are based on nodes, a topic I haven't yet touched. I'm not going to attempt a node based solution till I get around to studying it because I dislike using something I don't fully understand.

Please post your python implementation so every one can learn from it. I also found many GUI solvers and I will not agree that anyone has solved the problem until I see his solution. Anyone can use the solvers available and post solutions. Please, make Lojik post his.

in my school, this kind of problem cannot be assigned as a problem set since it is a classic problem with readily available answers. Instead, we are given NP-complete problems to solve.

Well, most of us are hobbyists and not even computer science students. We just try to learn what we can first and work on personal, motivational projects before even considering the fact that questions like this and many other concepts and algorithms exist.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Rasulullah: 4:32pm On Nov 09, 2010
Name: Usman Kabir Aminu
Email: usmanktg@yahoo.com
Phone: 08130312272
Skills: VB
qbasic
macromedia suites
game maker
fortran
html
java
3drad

I hope i am invited
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by FifiO(f): 7:03pm On Nov 09, 2010
Okay, I would be totally lost here, so i'm not goin to try to read all of this. However, I want to know, can someone write a game show kind of game for me? pls call me 08036970282
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 8:48pm On Nov 09, 2010
@Rasulullah: Welcome to the team.

@ FifiO: What do you mean by game show kind of game? Like questions and answers or what? Anyways, Post some details on what you want. I'm sure someone around might be able to help you.

@Everyone: I couldn't work on anything as we've almost resumed skool and I had to sort some things. I may be free till next Monday though.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 10:10pm On Nov 09, 2010
I'm almost done. I have changed it to use the NPC's CharacterController.Move() function but I haven't figured out how to set his position so he doesn't stay behind the player.

Here are the scripts:

AI_FOLLOW.js

public var walk_speed = 3;
public var jump_speed = 5;
public var turn_speed = 5;
public var wanted_distance = 2;
public var gravity = 20;

private var direction : Vector3 = Vector3.zero;

private var player : Transform;
private var me : Transform;
private var c_contoller : CharacterController;

enum States{ FOLLOW, STOP, LEAVE};
public var state : States;

function Start()
{
player = GameObject.FindWithTag("Player"wink.transform;
me = transform;
c_contoller = GetComponent(CharacterController);
if(player)
{
state = States.FOLLOW;
}

animation.wrapMode = WrapMode.Loop;
animation.Stop();
}

function Update () {
var target_pos = player.position - me.position;

if(state == States.FOLLOW)
{
if(Vector3.Distance(player.position, me.position) > wanted_distance)
{
target_pos.y = 0;

if(Vector3.Angle(me.forward, target_pos) > 10)
{
me.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp(me.rotation, Quaternion.LookRotation(target_pos), turn_speed * Time.deltaTime);
animation.CrossFade("Walk"wink;
}

// me.position += target_pos * walk_speed * Time.deltaTime;
target_pos.y -= gravity;
c_contoller.Move(Vector3(target_pos.x, target_pos.y, target_pos.z) * walk_speed * Time.deltaTime);
}
else
{
animation.CrossFade("Idle"wink;
if(!Input.GetAxis("Vertical"wink && !Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"wink)
{
//Debug.Log("STOPPING"wink;
state = States.STOP;
}
}
}
else if(state == States.STOP)
{
animation.CrossFade("Idle"wink;
if(Vector3.Distance(player.position, me.position) > wanted_distance + 3)
{
state = States.FOLLOW;
}
}
else if(state == States.LEAVE)
{
var newpos = me.position - player.position;
newpos.x += 2;
newpos.z += 2;
//me.position += newpos * 1.5 * Time.deltaTime;
newpos.y -= gravity;
c_contoller.Move(Vector3(newpos.x, newpos.y, newpos.z) * 1.5 * Time.deltaTime);
if(Vector3.Distance(player.position, me.position) > wanted_distance)
{
state = States.FOLLOW;
}
}

//Debug.Log(state);
// me.position.y -= gravity;
}

AI_TRIGGER_HELP.js (This helps to initiate the LEAVE state. It is placed in a child gameobject with a box collider as trigger)

/*
The trigger doesn't yet detect the player if he is colliding
while in the gutter and the enemy is above him.

*/

private var Parent : Transform;
private var trigger : Transform;
private var player : Transform;

function Start()
{
trigger = transform;
Parent = trigger.parent.transform;
player = GameObject.FindWithTag("Player"wink.transform;
if(player)
Debug.Log("FOUND"wink;
}

function Update () {
}

function OnTriggerEnter(entity : Collider)
{
if(entity == player.GetComponent(CharacterController))
{
Debug.Log("HIT"wink;
Parent.GetComponent("AI_FOLLOW"wink.state = States.LEAVE;
}
}
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by FifiO(f): 8:13am On Nov 10, 2010
Thanks, Gameaddict, for the pointer. Yes, please, question and answer (kinda like who wants to be a millionaire) It's for my website that I am building. Please anyone?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 1:06pm On Nov 10, 2010
@GA: Great. I havent been able to do anything. Still have other things taking much of my time.

@fif
If you want a 'who wants to be a millionaire' style game in html and javascript, i can help you with that. If u are interested call me 07033231214
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by FifiO(f): 10:25am On Nov 11, 2010
WorldBest,
Thanks, talk to you soon.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by easy03(m): 12:19pm On Nov 13, 2010
Name: Udoakagha Udoakagha
Email:easy_peasy2007@yahoo.com
phone:07067049571
Skill: Visual Basic 2008(Basic)
Visual C#(intermediate)
Visual Web developer(intermediate)
java(intermediate)
photoshop(pro)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

Vb.net Code To Display Image In Picturebox From Sql Server / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic / For Computer Science Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.