Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Game Development: Join The Team - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Development: Join The Team (53989 Views)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 1:36am On Jul 04, 2010
It's really cool. I haven't gotten a hang of the tools yet but its fun making strange shapes without calling extrude and fixing values all the time like in 3ds max or blender.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 2:00am On Jul 04, 2010
@GA

I am loving scultris, Look at this unfinished ugly head

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 2:23am On Jul 04, 2010
cool! You're good at it. D'you have links to tutorials? I'd really like to learn this stuff.

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 2:25am On Jul 04, 2010
@GA
I was learning zbrush, a similar tool. Its just like mulding
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:08am On Jul 04, 2010
Ok a story line:

Bayo needs money for his college fees and for other expenses before the semester begins. He sets out in of a job. He meets a man who deals in mechandise. He is told the nature of his job is to search for items demanded by customers in any area or location that they might be before a particular time esle he fails the task and cannot be paid. If he finds the item, he is award a certain percentage of the worth of that item.

As he goes in search of the items, he encounters obstacles, destractions such as barricades, police, street boys/area boys chasing him just to rob him. He also comes in contact with beautiful girls and people needing help either for free or for extra cash

He has the ability to make decisions as he goes, he picks up notes containing clues of where the items can be found.

If he manages to get the items and complete his college financial requirements, he can go back to school.

So what do you guys think? I think its a pretty straight forward game idea inspired by gameaddict's maze idea and kennbox's modification.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 12:05pm On Jul 04, 2010
Great Idea,am ready to work with the team.

Name: Agbetu Olanrewaju
Email: skotenpipper@yahoo.com
Phone: 07082556307
Skills: C++ (Intermediate),
HTML
VB.net (Basic),
Php(Basic)
Java
Fireworks (Basic),
Motion Artist (3/5)
Mathematics
Joomla
am also a very fast learner.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 1:25pm On Jul 04, 2010
@skoten
welcome to the team. Feel free to contribute your ideas right away. Do you know of a simple story line you would like to share with us? Once again, welcome.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 3:16pm On Jul 04, 2010
@ Worldbest Thank you very much,by night or tomorrow i will get back to you.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 5:22pm On Jul 04, 2010
@skoten

Ok, we cant wait to read your ideas.

@everyone
We arent contributing enough, we dont even know if we are agreeing to anything. Come on lets make contributions that we will finally settle with.

Come on, storyline!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by javalord: 8:52pm On Jul 04, 2010
Name: Ademola Adedeji
Email: Ademola.oba@gmail.com
Phone: 08022227445
Skills: C# (7/10), Python (6/10), Java (8/10), C (3/10), Photoshop cs4 (5/10)

I have some e-books on game programming (python,java,.Net)
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:21pm On Jul 04, 2010
@javalord

Great! You are welcome. If you have been following us you will find out that we are trying to come up with a simple and interest storyline for our game. We need everyones contributions. Please if you have an idea for a game storyline, dont hesitate to post it here, Welcome again.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 4:04pm On Jul 05, 2010
worldbest:

Ok a story line:

Bayo needs money for his college fees and for other expenses before the semester begins. He sets out in of a job. He meets a man who deals in mechandise. He is told the nature of his job is to search for items demanded by customers in any area or location that they might be before a particular time esle he fails the task and cannot be paid. If he finds the item, he is award a certain percentage of the worth of that item.

As he goes in search of the items, he encounters obstacles, destractions such as barricades, police, street boys/area boys chasing him just to rob him. He also comes in contact with beautiful girls and people needing help either for free or for extra cash

He has the ability to make decisions as he goes, he picks up notes containing clues of where the items can be found.

If he manages to get the items and complete his college financial requirements, he can go back to school.

So what do you guys think? I think its a pretty straight forward game idea inspired by gameaddict's maze idea and kennbox's modification.

Good story,

Tosin,a young boy lost his parents when he was 5 years old.His Uncle(a.k.a Baddo) actually murdered his parents because of their wealth,the Uncle(a.k.a Baddo) inherit all the properties including farmland,cars and so on.Two decades later,Tosin find out about his Uncle deeds.Now its time for Tosin to revenge, he needs money to buy weapons(will need to past through different stages to acquire all these weapons by fighting enemies on his way to get their weapon).At the last stage,he will need to fight his Uncle and kill him,in other to get back all his properties belonging to his parents, Note: Tosin has only three lives.

If he is able to kill his Uncle(a.k.a Baddo),he wins and finish the game, otherwise he loses.

What do u guys think? worldbest in particular.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 6:14pm On Jul 05, 2010
@skoten

Really interesting, your storyline can easily be merged with mine, for example, Before bayo finds out about his uncles deeds, he has to look for a job, doing missions to gain experience, money etc. When he finds out about his uncles deeds, he foolishly confronts him, he is bent on killing his uncle and his uncle wants his head too.

Typical nigerian storyline, just imagine this game with our language and accent.

Although, it seems complex for a first game, but i believe we can create about 2 missions for bayo's build up stage then another 2 for bayo's revenge stage, after that we would have a template to later extend the game further.

I think this is a good storyline that can be achieved. I would like us to favour it, we have already wasted alot of time on storylines.

What do you guys think? Are we good to go with this? or not.

Skoten great story again,
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 6:26pm On Jul 05, 2010
cool storyline guys! We can start thinking of the layout for the levels. Might not be able to post for some time cuz my connection has got problems . I'll try reading and working from my phone though.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 7:11pm On Jul 05, 2010
@ga
Good to know you approve. No problem. Am sure we understand

while we wait for others to show their approval for the storyline, i will suggest we use ogre as the engine, because of its support. Its highly rated even though its free and open source. I am currently trying to install it.

I think we should decide a name for our group. This is very necessay. I will look at sourceforge to see if they have all the features we need. I will also look at a subdomain community where we can have private discussions. We need to move forward people,

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 1:46pm On Jul 06, 2010
@ worldbest

U r suppose to be the leader,lets give members of the house 2 days to say smftn abt the storyline then will take off, we dnt need to waste much time on story,

@ gameaddict

welcome back and hope u r back for real.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 4:42pm On Jul 06, 2010
@skoten
Alright, we'll wait for another 2days. Whats up?

Hows everyone? I'm currently testing ogre graphics engine. So far, i can say its easy to get started and has pretty neat oop structure.

Please we need contributions from all members of the house. I'll send notifications to emails later to night.

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 5:22pm On Jul 06, 2010
@ skoten: Hopefully, my internet is okay for now.

@ Eveyone: If you feel the storyline is okay or don't want to add to that area, add your thoughts on other stuffs like the puzzles and the levels. We need to do this quickly so we can have a complete outline before any coding takes place.

@world best: Been playing with sculptris,  Still haven't found tutorials for it but I'll go looking for zbrush tutorials and try to implement them.

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 5:45pm On Jul 06, 2010
@worldbest
                      am fine,try to send the notification before tonite.I talk to you tonite,take care.

@ gameaddict

good!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 7:03pm On Jul 06, 2010
@gameaddict
I am also trying to be good at sculptris and zbrush. I will suggest you look at zbrush, its much more power than sculptris. Sculptris is although lite and has a simple ui its full of bugs. Get zbrush 3.1 its not the latest but its about 35MB in size compared to v3.5 which is about 100MB. Video tutorials are best if you want to know how to sculpt.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by kennbox(m): 11:23am On Jul 07, 2010
Hi Guys

@worldbest
I totally agree with moving forward.

I think we could host something now (using any of the free code hosting facilities, sourceforge or even google code)

As for my own storyline, Here it goes.

Big Picture Summary:
In a far away kingdom in Umueze, a child is born,His grows up and will eventually liberate his kingdom from the core forces of terror.

Chapters:
Primary Characters
a. Aziza (the Warrior still a young guy about 12 yrs old)
b. Udoji (His father, a farmer who hates hunting and disapproves hunting for his boy)
c. Ogu (Grandfather of Aziza, Most Respected hunter in the village, but retired)
d. Mma (Azziza’s Sister. Really beautiful)
e. Hunters
i. Obiadada
ii. Odogwu
iii. Akabo
iv. Indiama
v. Asukwor
These Hunters hunt periodically in the forests. lead by Amandi the strong one.
GODS

Chi- (personal guardian for each characters)
Chiaza (guardian for Aziza).
Nwangele leader of the Chi gods

Level One:
Game Starts With this Story.
In the kingdom of Umueze, the people live happy lives ,
the Ezinano festivity is just around the corner .
The gods of the land are looking for a worthy one to use for their mission.
The villagers are preparing themselves for possible selection by the gods.

Scene 1.
Aziza suddenly finds himself in a cave (3d maze e.g caverunner3d first person style), He wanders about in the cave, he discovers that the cave contains paintings on the walls that tell a little history about his village.
He is even amazed to discover that the painting contain traces his own particular family past and future.
he tries to get out of the cave, but cannot as all the cave exits are blocked buy powerful enchantments.
He then realizes that he would have learnt some enchantments from his grandfather Ogu.
He Wanders about in the cave and discovers the beautiful scence in it.
after he gets to a particular point in the cave, he hears a familiar song , and (Chiaza son of Nwangele) appears to him, (chiaza looks more like casper (Ghost busters ) levitates in the air with white radiance) and leads him (Aziza follows behind) to an exit point.
At the point of Exit, Aziza wakes up and discovers that he has been dreaming.
Mission for this Level:
1. Wander About in the cave
2. Read all the markings on the cave wall
3. Find Chiaza.

Music:
Any Common (Ogene) would Do with 3d sound effects.

Precautionary Suggestions
This story as it is may not be built to have all the flash and effizzy and normal modern 3d game flunts.
I say we should just pull out a slight demo of it that will convince each one of Us that we now have a working community.
For theTechnical Specifications of this, we could select:
Game Engine: (ORGE, Panda, 3impact), But I would prefer if we use no engine at all and just test run with simple OPENGL or even SDL, then later select an engine
Language:
Main C++
Support C, Python

Modelers:
Any Low Polygon Modeler

Particle System /Collison:
We will have to come up with simplistic particle system and a collision detection and response.
Rendering:
OPENGL
Sound/Music:
OPENAL
Development Platform:
Linux box with all the stuff. (That’s what I use Sha! wink)
Windows Box.
Code Control:
Git. (requires little getting used to.)

If we start small we can grow to meet up with the world.
if we start heavy, we might take over the world (or fall out a.k.a abandoning the project)

Totus Tuus
Kennbox
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 12:37pm On Jul 07, 2010
@Everyone,
I sent us a mail, i'm sure we all got it and agree to the fact that we need to move forward. The continous delay to finalising issues with storyline is not good at all. We only have 2 more days to do this after which nothing happens, we may use kennbox's storyline or mine. Please it is very important we take decisions together.

As for a name for our group, we need to come up with one. Without thinking too much my suggestion: PROGENESIS(Project Genesis). Let everyone drop thiers and lets select one we like.

cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 12:50pm On Jul 07, 2010
@kennbox
I sent you a mail and thanks for the call. You storyline is really nice. If it was upto me to choose i would go with yours. Lets wait and read what the others have got to say. Using OPENGL is good but using an OPENGL wrapper engine is better cause it makes it easy to do stuffs that can get u frustrated in OPENGL codes.

As we wait to select a storyline and a name, lets equally list engines that we feel its ideal for us. I suggest we go for OGRE 3D. http://ogre3d.org
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 12:51pm On Jul 07, 2010
@kennbox
I sent you a mail and thanks for the call. You storyline is really nice. If it was upto me to choose i would go with yours. Lets wait and read what the others have got to say. Using OPENGL is good but using an OPENGL wrapper engine is better cause it makes it easy to do stuffs that can get u frustrated in OPENGL codes.

As we wait to select a storyline and a name, lets equally list engines that we feel its ideal for us. I suggest we go for OGRE 3D. http://ogre3d.org
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 3:05pm On Jul 07, 2010
cool storyline!

I think we should start implementing all this somehow to see how we can put everything together. We should start brainstorming on other parts instead of concentrating on one thing but in a way that does not close off one aspect to the other. We can start talking game play keeping in mind what the coders can implement and also considering level changes and additions as everything progresses. The game engine to be used should be one that most of the intermediate and expert coders are familiar with or can easily get up to speed with. Those who interested in the design should start discussing the levels and models.

This project needs some spice and inspiration. Maybe we should talk a little about games we've played and stuff. Like when I played the first level of COD MW. The game had me from the beginning! Before playing this game, I tended to shun FPS games but landing on that ship changed my life forever! I enjoyed it till the very end! How can we control our camera system if it's going to be an FPS? We should realize that no matter how we choose to create the game, certain expectations come with all genres and game play. How do we present realistic AI since the new storyline involves a protagonist who is connected with so many people. Do we present them only in cut scenes? Lets discuss.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 8:06pm On Jul 07, 2010
I want us to discuss the game play just as gameaddict suggested, lets write out a details of how the game will start, what it will contain, how the environment will look like etc. Although, we have about ten of us but only about 5 have contributed. I want us to begin with the coding as soon as possible, lets decide the engine we will go for. Since its not a guarantee that we all are familiar with a particular one, then we should pick one and begin to learn it.

Lets post our ideas here latest 2morrow for all to evaluate. For example, does the player start from a bush, a house or are we starting with cutscenes/notes? What would the terrain look like. I think this level 1 is like an introduction with little action. For now, i would like us to stay away from in-game videos, lets use notes instead.

I truely dont know what it takes to have a thread listed in the frontpage. You see threads like 'She doesnt love me' up there, while cant ours be there?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 10:43am On Jul 08, 2010
It's a pity have not been contributing for long. It's due to my network connection.
But, we are still trying to get it fixed.

I think i go with worldbest as the leader and approve his storyline.

As for the game start, I wish it's in way that will depicts our country as the base.

And the cities and all other things should be nigerian(originality) . In short I want it to be a local form sha. then we can move on to the world.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 12:59pm On Jul 08, 2010
I also suggest we go for OGRE 3D.For the level one i want us to use cutscenes/notes. For the storyline,no going back lets chose one now.How do we implement all these ideas.I think we need to meet and know pple that are part of us.How many are we now(Contributing pple),lets know the coders,designers and the rest.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 4:15pm On Jul 08, 2010
@Bigstar
Welcome back my brother. Hope you wont leave us again ooo, lol . I like your idea of a game that has got a Nigerian feeling. Great

1. @Everyone
Today we will make final decision on which of the storylines to go with. We have storylines from

Worldbest - Bayo and his tuition problems

Skoten - Tosin's revenge for the death of his father killed by his uncle

The mixture of Worldbest and Skoten - Where Bayo/Tosin needs to work to pay his tuition and later take revenge for his father's death.

Kennbox - About a child who will liberate his kingdom from the forces of terror

We are going to have to choose which one to go with. Lets begin,

My choice: The mixture of Worlbest and Skotens

ok.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 4:51pm On Jul 08, 2010
@ kennbox,good story!

I will go for Worldbest/Skoten storyline.

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 4:52pm On Jul 08, 2010
@All
Currently, we have five contributors (kenbox,gameaddict,skoten,bigstar and myself) out of about ten of us. Since we all understand C++, i say we are good to go. Although, we still need more to join us.

I am going to assume that we are using ORGE3D. If anyone does not support, please let us know. So we can discuss.

You can download the SDK from their site http://ogre3d.org . I suggest you first of all visit their wiki @ http://ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/main_page. Click on basic tutorial to know the other prerequisite.

One thing about Ogre is that its not lite. 54MB for the SDK and 100MB for Directx redist.

If anyone has got a problem with OGRE for example, its size, please express yourselves and we will look at another.

cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 5:02pm On Jul 08, 2010
Worldbest Storyline - Big Star
Worldbest/Skoten - Woldbest, Skoten

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Vb.net Code To Display Image In Picturebox From Sql Server / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic / For Computer Science Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.