Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? (3028 Views)

Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together / My 3 Weeks Old Ducklings Arrived Safely / Ecdysis: The Shedded Snake Skin I Found On My Farm With A Prominent Head (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by mymen(m): 5:07am On Sep 04, 2018
I'm a salary earner but I need extra income or what to start doing with my monthly savings. I have love and passion for ducks. I want to start in my own little way at my big backyard.

Though people talk less of duck farming, probably because there is no big market or demand for it. To me that perhaps suppose to be of advantage. I'm not a big time farmer but I'm starting, already started though with 6 ducklings.

I want advice from the experienced ones. Thank you
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by phr33man(m): 6:00am On Sep 04, 2018
Don't be shocked being the first and only person giving this a try for Naija. It's nice you acknowledged the market size. In all, keep it up.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by adisabarber(m): 9:10am On Sep 04, 2018
mymen:

I'm a salary earner but I need extra income or what to start doing with my monthly savings. I have love and passion for ducks. I want to start in my own little way at my big backyard.

Though people talk less of duck farming, probably because there is no big market or demand for it. To me that perhaps suppose to be of advantage. I'm not a big time farmer but I'm starting, already started though with 6 ducklings.

Great things start from small beginnings. Those 6 ducklings will be easy for you to care for and you will learn as your business grows. In the unlikely event that things go wrong, the loss will not be too much to bear. When the ducklings grow and start having ducklings of their own, they will be able to care for them. I don't have ducks but I think you will need to provide water for them to take a dip when they need it. You can make this with a steel barrel cut in half vertically. Also try to give them some multivitamins regularly. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by olaeffect(m): 12:21pm On Sep 04, 2018
Starting small is the key to success. I started with just 2, later I got extra 6, then 100 ducklings.
It was at the stage of 100 that I encountered challenges because I have only had experienced with grown ducks. Raising 100 ducklings was a totally different experience. I lost about 27 within the first 4 weeks.
Which was due to my inexperience, there high number, rain and poor housing.
So please take it a step at a time. 6 is a good start.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by mymen(m): 7:54am On Sep 07, 2018
olaeffect:
Starting small is the key to success. I started with just 2, later I got extra 6, then 100 ducklings.
It was at the stage of 100 that I encountered challenges because I have only had experienced with grown ducks. Raising 100 ducklings was a totally different experience. I lost about 27 within the first 4 weeks.
Which was due to my inexperience, there high number, rain and poor housing.
So please take it a step at a time. 6 is a good start.

Sorry about your lose but can you explain how 27 birds died cos I thought they like water(rain). Your comment is a food for thought. Thank you
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by hiswords7: 12:23pm On Sep 07, 2018
mymen:

Please,are your ducklings local or imported? Have been searching to start farming the local ducks,where can I get them? Am in ibadan
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by olaeffect(m): 1:49pm On Sep 07, 2018
mymen:

Sorry about your lose but can you explain how 27 birds died cos I thought they like water(rain). Your comment is a food for thought. Thank you

That was my thinking too. But when they are still ducklings (0 to 14 days) they are more like chics too, they require brooding they easily get wet, because they make more mess with water than chics.
And when they get too wet they drown, even without a visible pool of water.
But after 14days all you need is space management, because there movement is usually in mass I.e when they face one direction they all face that direction and can crush each other if there is any obstacle.
But from 30days (4 weeks) they are as heady as anything you can imagine.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by mymen(m): 2:12pm On Sep 07, 2018
olaeffect:

That was my thinking too. But when they are still ducklings (0 to 14 days) they are more like chics too, they require brooding they easily get wet, because they make more mess with water than chics.
And when they get too wet they drown, even without a visible pool of water.
But after 14days all you need is space management, because there movement is usually in mass I.e when they face one direction they all face that direction and can crush each other if there is any obstacle.
But from 30days (4 weeks) they are as heady as anything you can imagine.

Thanks. more enlightened
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by mymen(m): 2:39pm On Sep 07, 2018
hiswords7:

Please,are your ducklings local or imported? Have been searching to start farming the local ducks,where can I get them? Am in ibadan

Na Local and I got them from abeokuta

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by hiswords7: 2:29pm On Sep 08, 2018
mymen:

Thanks a lot,anyone here who knows where I can get the local ducklings in Ibadan should please help. I need them urgently, I have to start now.
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by olaeffect(m): 11:35am On Sep 10, 2018
mymen:

Hmmm. there are two popular breed of ducks I.e khaki cambel and muscovy (mostly referred to as local).

Khaki cambel is for egg production while muscovy is for meat production.

So while deciding to go for a breed think of your end desire for them.
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by olaeffect(m): 12:20pm On Sep 10, 2018
hiswords7:

Thanks a lot,anyone here who knows where I can get the local ducklings in Ibadan should please help. I need them urgently, I have to start now.

Muscovy: 07085654116, 08022590311

Khaki cambel: 08060115253

I got my khaki cambel from above source, I also discussed at lengthy with the muscovy contact but I did not get to make purchase. They are both based in Ibadan.
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2018
chai who buys duck, who eats dem ...is there a market for them ?

how much did u get 1?
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by imhere: 1:32pm On Oct 09, 2019
Duck farming is a lucrative agribusiness that is very profitable. Very few persons are into the business yet the consumption rate is increasing. Do you know that, if you start with 6 ducklings in one year you will have up to 200 ducks. They are very easy to rear and can be reared through intensive and extensive method for fast growth. Find out how to start and the profits on it....
https://www.enibest.com.ng/all-posts/business/duck-farming-business-in-nigeria-for-beginners/
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by Ryan03(f): 2:10pm On Oct 09, 2019
mymen:

hey bro, how did the duck faming go? How much did it cost you to set up their house and put some things in place? Is the business lucrative? I really need your experience
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by Fk2021(m): 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2020
hiswords7:

Point of Lay female Local Ducks for sale

Species; Muscovy

we also have matured male in stock
we supply nationwide

FK Agro Services
call; 08134037729
WhatsApp: 08083031185
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by moneylam: 9:17am On Nov 25, 2021
Is this user still into duck farming ? We want to hear from you.

I just started mine.
Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by ogbongenet: 1:21pm On Nov 25, 2021
Oh great ,I rear and sell duck also but I decided to rear only white color because of the beauty and special demand for it. If you are selling any other colour 2k ,the white one will go for 3-4k ,that's why I love the white color. In case you anyone needs ducklings I sale 08060115253

Re: Is It Possible To Start A Duck Farm With Six Ducklings? by Uyi2017(m): 4:52pm On Dec 14, 2022
mymen:

How's the duck business going

(1) (Reply)

Sweet Corn Farming: How Profitable / The Juice Revolution / Dwarf Hybrid Banana And Plantain Suckers/plantlet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.