Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

A Mini-prose For Sickle Cell Awareness: Comfort - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Mini-prose For Sickle Cell Awareness: Comfort (323 Views)

Green, White And A Stain Of Red #endpolicebrutality [prose Poetry] / Love Prose (unnoticed) / Love Prose (to The Lady In Love) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Mini-prose For Sickle Cell Awareness: Comfort by Tbekz(m): 6:31am On Sep 05, 2018
I've been falling sick often lately which made me remember this story I wrote once. Had to search my archives for it to re-read. Those long moments of sickness, I began to realize, were just like a drop of water in the lives of some others. It also takes a toll on the parents alike. So... here it goes
Re: A Mini-prose For Sickle Cell Awareness: Comfort by Tbekz(m): 6:32am On Sep 05, 2018
"Dad?"

"Yes, my baby. I'm here!" I started to reach for my little angel on the bed on which her frail body laid. Bella looked up at me with her dark brown eyes that so melts my heart. It told a lot of stories of pain that breaks my heart every time I see them.

"Papa is here. Do u need something?"

"Do you think God hates us?" She asked with trepidation. It scared me that she felt that way.

"First, He took mum, now He is allowing me to be sick all too often. I can feel the cold hands of death clutching my heart." Tears were trickling down her eyes as she said this. I would instantly trade places with my angel, if I could. Just twelve and she had grown so matured just because of the missiles of life that landed on our doorsteps.

Tears threatened to flow down my eyes but I resolved to hold them back. I need to be strong for her. I wanted to dry up the tears in her heart like I was doing so with my hand.

"Sweetheart, God is not to blame here. Neither is the devil. The paths we take and decisions we make brings about our destiny. Your mum and I shouldn't have gotten married, but we were so in love that we felt we could brave up everything life threw to our face. But I have hope, dear." I took her frail hands as I kissed her on the forehead. "You are a survivor."

"Dad, I don't want to fight anymore. I just want to let it all go." Bella was beginning to scare me. It's been hard on me too. I lost the love of my life four years ago. My best friend. My confidant. I can't afford to loose my baby girl now.

"Bella," I held her shoulders firmly. "I can't begin to imagine what you are going through, but I am here with you. We will get through this together. I know, without a doubt that Jesus loves you so much."

"Really?" came the reply. I could see she was struggling to believe.

"Yes dear. He loved us while we were yet sinners. You can't begin to comprehend how much He loves you. His love for you is even bigger than the whole world. I'm even jealous that He loves you more than I do." She giggled at that. Thank God, her expression was beginning to lighten up.

"You remember our song, don't you?"

"Yes daddy, how could I forget." she said with a dry smile on her face as we began to sing.

Through it all
Through it all
My eyes are on you
Through it all
Through it all
It is well

Through it all
Through it all
My eyes are on you
And it is well with me

It is well with my my soul 3ce
It is well, it is well with my soul

So let go, my soul and trust in Him,
The waves and wind still know His name

So we sang and sang until she fell asleep in my arms. And the tears which I held for so long trickled down as I said a silent prayer

"Lord, build faith in my baby girl. Don't let her loose sight of whom you her to us."

Tomorrow is another day.

Parents suffer too. But they keep a facade up to give their children strength. Never forget they are also emotional victims in this war against Sickle Cell too.

For CPSP in honour of People Living With Sickle Cell Disease.

https://m.facebook.com/CarePrayForSickleCellPatient/?ref=bookmarks

@Tbeks works

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Entrepreneur / 'bukas' And Me / Mishap Title Of An Upcoming Story, Get Set

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.