Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,399 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? (5380 Views)

Morality And God's Plan: The Sinful Nature Of Homosexuality / Coronavirus: Apostle Kofi Nkrumah Sarkodie Arrested For Holding Church Service / Pastor Frank Chuks Holding Gun On A Church Program Poster In Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 11:07am On Sep 05, 2018
I have a debate on this topic with my girlfriend. She raised some impressive counter response to support it. But not quite satisfy . What do you think? Pls I need some thought provoking point......either against or in support of it.

Let's begin........
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by LordReed(m): 11:57am On Sep 05, 2018
vaxx:
I have a debate on this topic with my girlfriend. She raised some impressive counter response to support it. But not quite satisfy . What do you think? Pls I need some thought provoking point......either against or in support of it.

Let's begin........

Yes they are but that may not be such a bad thing. In the case of human test subjects, it would be very hard to treat human beings like the contents of a test tube given that humans are conscious, feeling beings. Most scientific studies would need to be conducted without recourse to emotion, a very hard thing to control for with live human test subjects.

A lot of the ethics issues may be solved if lab cultured human tissue and organs (and possibly entire bodily systems) are viable alternatives.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 12:13pm On Sep 05, 2018
LordReed:
Yes they are but that may not be such a bad thing. In the case of human test subjects, it would be very hard to treat human beings like the contents of a test tube given that humans are conscious, feeling beings. Most scientific studies would need to be conducted without recourse to emotion, a very hard thing to control for with live human test subjects.
No I think, deciding that ethical issue should not even be consider is also an ethical decision. In orther words, there are no human endeavour that can exist outside the realm of ethics because morality is an instrict quality of being human.

A lot of the ethics issues may be solved if lab cultured human tissue and organs (and possibly entire bodily systems) are viable alternatives.
Ethics is all about making decision on what is wrong or right.for the scientist,ethical and moral consideration should be extremely important . If they were never consider in the process of doing science. science could well decide to cheat , fake an experiment result or outcome.And this will be a stopping block to the progress of science.

Am against it on this thread while am supporting it on your thread....lol let's see how it will work.....
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by LordReed(m): 1:04pm On Sep 05, 2018
vaxx:
No I think, deciding that ethical issue should not even be consider is also an ethical decision. In orther words, there are no human endeavour that can exist outside the realm of ethics because morality is an instrict quality of being human.

I was listening to Sean Carroll today and learnt something that I agree with. Human morality and ethics are not inherent but emergent, that is, it is a fruit of our evolution both biologically and socially. Meaning both nature and nurture has formed our morality and our ethics, we give value to the consciousness and feelings of our fellow human being. If you value the consciousness of your fellows why would you want to inflict upon him processes that will completely ignore or devalue that value you place on his consciousness?

Ethics is all about making decision on what is wrong or right.for the scientist,ethical and moral consideration should be extremely important . If they were never consider in the process of doing science. science could well decide to cheat , fake an experiment result or outcome.And this will be a stopping block to the progress of science.

Am against it on this thread while am supporting it on your thread....lol let's see how it will work.....

As I already expressed, likely alternatives are being developed that will bypass some of these ethical questions entirely. It is something that greatly pleases me because I can see science take another gigantic leap if it works out. May be immortality drugs will be developed? I keep my fingers crossed.

EDIT: Changed Steve to Sean

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 1:29pm On Sep 05, 2018
LordReed:

I was listening to Steve Carroll today and learnt something that I agree with. Human morality and ethics are not inherent but emergent, that is, it is a fruit of our evolution both biologically and socially. Meaning both nature and nurture has formed our morality and our ethics, we give value to the consciousness and feelings of our fellow human being. If you value the consciousness of your fellows why would you want to inflict upon him processes that will completely ignore or devalue that value you place on his consciousness?
morality is inherent but does not stop it from evolving. It modify when society decide to evolve along.and when it does, human by nature adjust because it is natural to do so.

As I already expressed, likely alternatives are being developed that will bypass some of these ethical questions entirely. It is something that great pleases me because I can see science take another gigantic leap if it works out. May be immortality drugs will be developed? I keep my fingers crossed.
I suppose there's a sense in which it's trivially true, but only in a sense so hypothetical as to be meaningless. Scientists are human beings; human beings have ethics (or at least, a predisposition onto which particular ethical codes are laid). These are as much a part of being human as the curiosity which is the root of science.

Consider it this way: why do scientists want to do medical research? Because they want to help people. To magically remove their sense of ethics without removing their desire to help is nonsensical.

There are a few rare cases where the desires to know and to help conflict with what many other see as ethical. These are badly exaggerated and not nearly fundamental. As exceptions there's no real meaningful way to discuss them. Ethics is always going to be a murky process, but you won't extract it from human beings in the scientific community.

When we have robots capable of scientific thought, we might have a situation where it will design experiments no human being would permit. But when we've reached that point, I suspect we'll have no difficulty finding alternatives to those experiments that are both good enough for the work and ethical enough to satisfy the humans, because we'll have much better models of the things we want to experiment on than we have now.

Well, I await the alternative that could remove ethics from sciencetific experiment.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 5:31pm On Sep 05, 2018
Waiting to read more view on this subject
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 7:48am On Sep 09, 2018
Bumb
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by DeSepiero(m): 7:55am On Sep 09, 2018
Question has some ambiguity.
Ethics and morality is holding scientists back NOT science.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 7:58am On Sep 09, 2018
DeSepiero:
Question has some ambiguity.
Ethics and morality is holding scientists back NOT science.
can you elucidate?
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by DeSepiero(m): 8:10am On Sep 09, 2018
vaxx:
can you elucidate?

Response is clear enough for the question though.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 8:13am On Sep 09, 2018
DeSepiero:

Response is clear enough for the question though.

I can't pick up anything meaningful in what you are trying to convey or dismiss in the headline....and I need you to further clarify it. If you can not go ahead . No qualms.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by DeSepiero(m): 9:07am On Sep 09, 2018
vaxx:
I can't pick up anything meaningful in ...

Sorry for your inability.

1 Like

Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 9:17am On Sep 09, 2018
DeSepiero:

Sorry for your inability.
while I am also sorry for your incapacity to proceed ....
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by DeSepiero(m): 9:26am On Sep 09, 2018
vaxx:
while I am also sorry for your incapacity to proceed ....

No need, I wasn't obliged.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by budaatum: 9:55am On Sep 10, 2018
vaxx:

Let's begin........
This subject was flogged to death in this thread!
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 10:00am On Sep 10, 2018
budaatum:

This subject was flogged to death in this thread!
ok.....if that will relax the spark in your over boiling emotions

I am not a pussy dude...
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by budaatum: 10:13am On Sep 10, 2018
vaxx:
ok.....if that will relax the spark in your over boiling emotions

I am not a pussy dude...
Lol! My emotions aren't boiling vaxx. But you just go on believing what you will if it makes you feel good.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 10:15am On Sep 10, 2018
budaatum:

Lol! My emotions aren't boiling vaxx. But you just go on believing what you will if it makes you feel good.
maybe over heated i suppose .....
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by budaatum: 10:22am On Sep 10, 2018
vaxx:
maybe over heated i suppose .....
Just provide the evidence requested instead of hiding behind emotives, please!
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 10:24am On Sep 10, 2018
budaatum:

Just provide the evidence requested instead of hiding behind emotives, please!
you are now a spammer instead of a knowledge seeker
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by budaatum: 10:34am On Sep 10, 2018
vaxx:
you are now a spammer instead of knowledge seeker
Asking you to provide evidence for a claim you made is spamming now, and not "knowledge seeking"? I guess it must be so, according to vaxx' logic which states that buda is emotional, a pussy, and a spammer. Thankfully, buda lives regardless of what you might think.

Provide the evidence requested please. I want to know!
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 10:38am On Sep 10, 2018
budaatum:

Asking you to provide evidence for a claim you made is spamming now, and not "knowledge seeking"? I guess it must be so, according to vaxx' logic which states that buda is emotional, a pussy, and a spammer. Thankfully, buda lives regardless of what you might think.

Provide the evidence requested please. I want to know!
spamming means giving unsolicited message or response(and this is clearly what you are doing).....in this topic, there is no information I had raised or given that require evidence like what you are asking for?

Buda stop spamming my thread""
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by budaatum: 10:45am On Sep 10, 2018
vaxx:
spamming means giving unsolicited message or response(and this is clearly what you are doing).....in this topic, there is no information I had raised or given that require evidence like what you are asking for?

Buda stop spamming my thread""
Your thread! Listen to your supposedly unemotive self.

Vaxx, let me inform you that I am now going to specifically follow you so that I don't miss any post you make. I hope you clearly understand the implications of this!
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 10:50am On Sep 10, 2018
budaatum:

Your thread! Listen to your supposedly unemotive self.

Vaxx, let me inform you that I am now going to specifically follow you so that I don't miss any post you make. I hope you clearly understand the implications of this!
go ahead you are welcome.... nairaland FBI
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by budaatum: 10:52am On Sep 10, 2018
vaxx:
go ahead you are welcome.... nairaland FBI
The pleasure is all mine but thanks all the same.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by PastorAIO: 11:21am On Sep 10, 2018
What about the ethical position that knowledge is good and should be striven for and ignorance obliterated at all costs?

1 Like

Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by vaxx: 11:48am On Sep 10, 2018
PastorAIO:
What about the ethical position that knowledge is good and should be striven for and ignorance obliterated at all costs?
i agree with you but Knowledge itself is neutral, it's neither good nor bad, so I believe the level of danger/good applied to knowledge can only come from the people who possess it.

Ethically, society has to ignite what is objectively consider as positive knowledge while discarding what it is not.

Ignorance can be too expensive despite its bliss.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by budaatum: 11:49am On Sep 10, 2018
PastorAIO:
At absolutely "all costs'? Like bashing knowledge into unwilling heads? I'd love to say it is ethically positive to do so, but, who would be the determinant of 'knowledge'? And how far should one be ethically willing to go? Should one stop when the need to eliminate the ignorant arises so they don't corrupt the already knowledgeable?

Muslim minority in China's Xinjiang face 'political indoctrination' is an ongoing example of the question you've posed.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by LordReed(m): 11:52am On Sep 10, 2018
PastorAIO:

It's a hard question when it washes up against the effects of denigrating the dignity of conscious being.

1 Like

Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by budaatum: 11:55am On Sep 10, 2018
vaxx:
i agree with you but Knowledge itself is neutral, it's neither good nor bad,
Knowledge is not neutral and is good or bad! One person's knowledge can be termed ignorance by another which in itself indicates subjectivity since it is based on perspective.

Knowledge based on a communist perspective, for instance, while valid to the communist, is not valid to the capitalist. Same occurs in religions where Christians and Muslims consider the other's so called knowledge to be ignorance.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by sinequanon: 12:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
Science is ultimately immoral. So, ultimately, you cannot have science and morality.
Re: Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? by budaatum: 12:29pm On Sep 10, 2018
sinequanon:
Science is ultimately immoral. So, ultimately, you cannot have science and morality.
How is science "ultimately immoral"? In fact, what do you understand by "science"? Start there if you would please.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Mary Omnipresent (everywhere At Thesame Time)? / Study The Bible With Jehovah's Witnesses 2 / Jesus Did Not Die For Everybody.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.