Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,943 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo (14097 Views)

7 Major Vehicle Safety Features You Cannot Do Without / 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect / 12 Of The Best Safety Features Introduced In Cars Throughout The Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by AUTOJOSH1: 10:42am On Sep 06, 2018
[img]https:///a/img923/3640/Q7E9Du.jpg[/img]

When it comes to safety, it’s no news that Volvo is widely known for their excellent safety reputation.

Volvo guys are on top of the game when it comes to making cars as safe as possible. They take pride in car safety technology. We are yet to see those that can beat them on that.

The Swedish brand already made a solemn promise that no death will occur in their vehicles from the year 2020. They are out to work tirelessly towards the safety features in their cars.

Volvo came into being in the year 1924, and ever since then, they have tried everything possible to make their cars safe for users. They have as well been the lead auto maker on many innovations in motoring safety.

Below are the 10 most important safety features invented by Volvo.

1. Three-point Safety Belt (1959):
Volvo engineer Nils Bohlin introduced the three-point seat belts into the series production PV544.
There can be few men on this planet earth who have saved many lives as Nils Bohlin.

Since then, it’s estimated that over one million lives have been saved as a result of Volvo Cars waiving its patent rights so everybody could benefit.
[img]https:///a/img921/2946/bxV1qE.jpg[/img]

2. Rearward-facing Child Safety Seat (1972):
This feature was inspired by space rocket seats, which have astronauts lying on their back to reduce the chance of injury.
Volvo thought it was to bring in the technology down to child seating in cars. The seat helped minimize injury on impact.

Then in 1976, innovated the child booster seat and again in 1990, an integrated booster built right into the seat.
[img]https:///a/img921/6772/sFtv0q.jpg[/img]

3. Side Impact Protection (1991):
Side Impact Protection System, or SIPS included reinforced seats, a cross member in the floor and energy absorbing materials in the vehicle’s structure. They were invented because cars can also get hit from the side and put lives at risk.

4. Whiplash Protection System (1998):
It was focused on reducing low speed collision injury. The system consists of a very robust headrest close to the occupant’s head and a clever seat design that gives uniform support in a collision.
Whiplash is a painful and potentially expensive injury.

5. Inflatable Curtain (1998):
In the event of a side impact, the curtain inflates in just 25 thousandths of a second and can absorb 75% of the energy generated when the head is thrown sideways.

The inflatable curtain is concealed in the headliner and runs from the front to the rear of the cabin.

6. Roll-Over Protection System (2002):
This technology came to be with the growing popularity of SUVs.
This ROPS enhanced SUVs’ stability with a sophisticated electronic Roll Stability Control system and secondly, it improved the car’s safety structure with extremely tough boron steel in the roof.

7. Blind Spot Information System (2003):
A moment of inattention can be catastrophic when a driver change lanes and not spot another car in the blindspot.
Volvo decided to make a feature that can watch out for troubles.

BLIS system uses cameras and radar to watch for vehicles alongside and offset to the rear of the Volvo. When a car enters the blind spot area, a warning lamp comes on near the door mirror, giving the driver ample time to react.

8. City Safety (2008):
City Safety system uses laser detection to work out whether a collision with the car in front is likely, and if the driver doesn’t brake, the car will do it. And the system works up to 50km/h.

9. Pedestrian Detection with Full Auto Brake (2010):
This feature warns a driver if somebody steps out in front of the car, and then brakes automatically if the driver fails to.

10. Run-off Road Protection (2014):
Run-off road is behind half of all traffic fatalities in the United States. Volvo was again the pioneer testing road departure crashes – often the result of fatigue, poor weather conditions or a lack of driver’s attention.

Volvo focused on keeping occupants firmly in position, introducing unique ‘energy-absorbing’ functionalities in the seats that can mitigate spine injuries.

Don’t forget to hit the share button.

https://autojosh.com/10-safety-features-cars-invented-volvo/

32 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Dpiano(m): 12:32pm On Sep 06, 2018
Cool
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 06, 2018
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by khvnggift(m): 12:35pm On Sep 06, 2018
woah
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Dottore: 12:35pm On Sep 06, 2018
Interesting facts buts surprising how you often times copy articles from original sources, plagiarize, and publish on your blog and on Nairaland while you present your blog as source without acknowledging the original source.
This article came from

https://www.volvocars.com/intl/about/our-company/heritage/innovations.

Mind you it's a criminal offense it's not smartness. Smart people stay away from all sorts of crime.
Also be informed that Volvo is now owned by Chinese company Geely Holdings Ltd since 2010

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by seuncyber(m): 12:35pm On Sep 06, 2018
Nice information

2 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by olamiide327(m): 12:35pm On Sep 06, 2018
my neighbor's Volvo will hit you even when driving at 20km/hr.
maybe he bought the copyright. �

6 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 06, 2018
Volvo brand is synonymous with safety.
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 06, 2018
Volvo need to try harder to impress me
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by olatomiwa001(m): 12:36pm On Sep 06, 2018
cool grin
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by theoldpretender(m): 12:36pm On Sep 06, 2018
So how much for BRAND NEW VOLVO sedan/SUV type car?
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by igbohausayoruba: 12:36pm On Sep 06, 2018
Volvo you are the best

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by chukwutope: 12:37pm On Sep 06, 2018
Today, Volvo is a Chinese car company.

Here's what happened after the Chinese took over. Demonstration of the auto-braking system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Hardheolar(m): 12:38pm On Sep 06, 2018
Superb
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Kaybaba5(m): 12:38pm On Sep 06, 2018
Good.

But when i was young if i see Volvo i would think is a car that could fly like aeroplane mainly because of its noise...

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Cmanforall: 12:44pm On Sep 06, 2018
theoldpretender:
So how much for BRAND NEW VOLVO sedan/SUV type car?
Expensive. Similar prices with BMW
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by AkpaMgbor(m): 1:02pm On Sep 06, 2018
The three point safety belt was pioneered by Mercedes-Benz.
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by antagonist: 1:03pm On Sep 06, 2018
Dottore:
Interesting facts buts surprising how you often times copy articles from original sources, plagiarize, and publish on your blog and on Nairaland while you present your blog as source without acknowledging the original source.
This article came from

Mind you it's a criminal offense it's not smartness. Smart people stay away from all sorts of crime.

just report the blog for plagiarism

https://support.google.com/legal/answer/3110420

2 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by umuna(m): 1:07pm On Sep 06, 2018
kenonze:
Volvo need to try harder to impress me

If they can't, I can impress you! grin
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by mytime24(f): 1:18pm On Sep 06, 2018
K
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Phonix1234: 2:45pm On Sep 06, 2018
Dey ddnt tell me all diz until i sold my fathers Volvo,,, now am not happy

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by madgoat(m): 2:49pm On Sep 06, 2018
antagonist:

just report the blog for plagiarism

https://support.google.com/legal/answer/3110420

Let's all try and report the blog. Plagiarism should not be supported.
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Eponyeeboz: 3:51pm On Sep 06, 2018
The OP is a thief and a criminal. Criminals like him pay heavy fines and end up in jail.

The day I knew he has nothing in his head was when he said Uber takes longer routes. The ignorant clown didn't know that Uber uses Google maps to calculate the fastest distance based on traffic factors to your destination and not the shortest route.

Say no to plagiarism and dumb thieves.

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by pappilo(m): 4:39pm On Sep 06, 2018
Daytime Running Lights DRL
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by jawjaw1: 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2018
Eponyeeboz:
The OP is a thief and a criminal. Criminals like him pay heavy fines and end up in jail.

The day I knew he has nothing in his head was when he said Uber takes longer routes. The ignorant clown didn't know that Uber uses Google maps to calculate the fastest distance based on traffic factors to your destination and not the shortest route.

Say no to plagiarism and dumb thieves.

That's the typical Nigerian blogger. No originality in what they do. Look at all the others in the celebrity section. They just follow celebrities on social media and take whatever they see (even pics) and post on their blogs. Shamefully enough Nairaland encourages them by pushing all they do to its frontpage.

Nigerian bloggers don't seem to understand that if you really want to grow, you have to think big, think international, apply international best practices, no plagiarism. It might be hard to do, but you can build it gradually into the culture of your business and it will differentiate you from the rest and it will pay you dividends on the long run.
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by arrestdarrester: 5:23pm On Sep 06, 2018
And to think Volvo gave the world a gift of the 3-point seatbelt. Well-done Volvo, well-done.

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by oblaak(m): 5:49pm On Sep 06, 2018
Them wan kill autojosh. Them say na thief as e dey do copy and paste for him blog and nairaland. Chaii

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by ayukdaboss(m): 5:52pm On Sep 06, 2018
madgoat:

Let's all try and report the blog. Plagiarism should not be supported.
Na autojosh matter wuna wan focus on abi?
Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by dongc(m): 6:04pm On Sep 06, 2018
chukwutope:
Today, Volvo is a Chinese car company.

Here's what happened after the Chinese took over. Demonstration of the auto-braking system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo

this is not true this video happened when an auto dealer was testing an unauthorized auto-speed/brake device/detector. if you know how Volvo runs its test you would know that Volvo cannot be testing cars in such environment..geely bought Volvo cars..they mostly invested money and opened way for Volvo in the Asian market..otherwise Volvo still remain mostly Swedish
the funny thing is that model was not prepared for such maneuvers.i know this because my team builds v40, v70,xc70 and xc90 before i moved to volvo trucks..get facts right

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by AutoJoshNG: 6:38pm On Sep 06, 2018
Dottore:
This article came from

Also be informed that Volvo is now owned by Chinese company Geely Holdings Ltd since 2010

Do you mean you are angry that Autojosh posted about Volvo from Volvo's website?

I hope you are aware that the link you posted is from Volvo's website? Can you explain why you are angry when Volvo is happy that Autojosh posted their content for Nigerians to know more about their brand?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by antagonist: 6:59pm On Sep 06, 2018
AutoJoshNG:

Do you mean you are angry that Autojosh posted about Volvo from Volvo's website?

I hope you are aware that the link you posted is from Volvo's website? Can you explain why you are angry when Volvo is happy that Autojosh posted their content for Nigerians to know more about their brand?

You're deliberately missing the point, even on your website I didn't see a direct link to the Volvo website page Dottore posted ,So you lifted the information from Volvo or some other website, posted on your website, then posted it here and used the plagiarized post on your website as your source.

If crook A stole from bank A and deposited in bank B, and then used the money from bank B to make payments to bank C, isn't the money still stolen money?

5 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo by Dottore: 7:10pm On Sep 06, 2018
AutoJoshNG:

If u continue feigning ignorance one day someone could make it a point of duty to report your blog laden with countless plagiarized topics and posts and you will understand how serious copyright laws are.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? / Car Wars!Aston Martin Chiefs Mocks Rolls-Royce's £350k Phantom As Old-fashioned / Mercedes-Maybach Teases Luxurious New Concept For 2018 Beijing Auto show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.