Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time (1596 Views)

Four Anambra Brands That Will Take Over Nigeria Soon / Young Female Nigerian Brands Local Groundnut To International Attraction / Ten Brands That Have Become Household Names In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by budiliscious(f): 9:02pm On Sep 06, 2018
TOP FIVE 100% NIGERIAN BRANDS THAT HAVE STOOD THE TEST OF TIME
Nigeria, here are our longest surviving indigenous brands

Before compiling this list, I had thought of getting many brands on the list. I tried generating data through a survey, personal research by surfing the web and open inquiry from contacts in different sectors of the economy. After all efforts exerted into this task, I realized that there are only a few brands that can make this list. Did you just ask why? So did I. Out of millions of brands in Nigeria today, it is a pity that only a few brand can meet the criteria of being on the list. I believe that for a brand to be described as long-serving, it must have stood the test of time. Such a brand must be from a privately owned firm and it must have been in existence for over fifty years and still relevant till date. Also, the quality, reach and credibility of such brand are expected to be maintained and sustained till this very moment.

Here are the top 5 brands that meet the requirements of being on this list:

1. Brand Name: Eko Boys High School
Year Founded: 1913
Founder: Rev. William Benjamin Euba

Eko Boys High School Lagos was founded 13th January 1913 by the Rev. William Benjamin Euba, a teacher and master of religion at the Methodist Boys High School, Lagos. It was with the greatest spirit and a desire to establish an African Institution that will provide educational opportunities for the less privilege citizens of Lagos that made Rev. Euba to establish this school. The school started with 28 students at 30 Broad street Lagos, next building to St. George’s Hall, Lagos, opposite the Methodist Boys High School. The school has produced the likes of Sir Gabriel Igbinedion, Chief Idowu Sofola, Babatunde Fashola (Former governor of Lagos state), Oba Abiodun Oniru, Rtd General Adeyinka Adebayo, Professor Aderemi Kuku, GMD/CEO of First Bank Group Mr Bisi Onasanya etc. the list is endless. Others are Late Chief Olusola Saraki, Late Justice Muri Okunola, Late Oba Oyekan of Lagos.

2. Brand Name: Alabukun
Year Founded: 1918
Founder: Pa Jacob Odulate

ALABUKUN was first produced at Odulate’s first laboratory situated in Sapon, Abeokuta in Ogun State. The product is a mixture of ingredients from Liverpool which include acetylsalicylic acid and caffeine. So, a packet of ALABUKUN contains 760mg acetylsalicylic acid and 60mg of caffeine; making a total of 820mg.The ALABUKUN powder in particular is displayed and sold in thousands of pharmaceutical stores, markets and roadside stalls all over Nigeria. Nowadays, ALABUKUN products are sold in several cities in the USA, the UK, in Europe, Brazil, Jamaica and yes, even as far away as China.

3. Brand Name: Wema Bank
Year Founded: 1945
Founder: Odu'a Investment Company Limited

Widely reputed as the longest surviving and most resilient indigenous bank in Nigeria, Wema Bank Plc has over the years, diligently offered a fully-fledged range of value-adding banking and financial advisory services to the Nigerian public. Incorporated in 1945 as a Private Limited Liability Company (under the old name of Agbonmagbe Bank Limited) and commencing banking operations in Nigeria the same year, Wema Bank later transformed into a Public Limited Company (PLC) in April 1987 and was listed on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) in January 1990. On February 5, 2001, Wema Bank Plc. was granted a universal banking license by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), thus allowing the Bank provide the Nigerian public with diverse financial and business advisory services.

4. Brand Name: Nigerian Tribune
Year Founded: 1949
Founder: Obafemi Awolowo

The Nigerian Tribune is an English-language newspaper published in Ibadan in Nigeria. It was established in 1949 by Chief Obafemi Awolowo and is the oldest surviving private Nigerian newspaper.In the colonial era, the newspaper served as the mouthpiece for Awolowo's populist welfare programmes. It also played an important role in defending the interests of the Yoruba people in a period when different ethnic groups were struggling for ascendancy. From independence in 1960 until the 1990s most publications were government-owned, but private papers such as the Nigerian Tribune, The Punch, Vanguard and the Guardian continued to expose public and private scandals despite government attempts at suppression. General Ibrahim Babangida once said that of all the Nigerian newspapers he would only read and take seriously the Nigerian Tribune's editorial column.

5. Brand Name: Mouka Limited
Year Founded: 1952
Founder: Faiz Moukarim Family

About half a century ago, Mouka Limited opened up its doors to the Nigerian Market as a family owned business in Kano. It was pioneered by the children of the late Mr. Faiz Moukarim. In 1959, the company was incorporated under the name Moukarim Metalwood Factory Limited. Operations started with the production of furniture and allied metal products, providing a major portion of the market in Northern Nigeria with quality furniture. Mouka Foam and Mouka Pipe, both a part of Mouka Limited, were established in 1972 and 1976 respectively. Thereafter, the two companies separated and Actis, a leading private equity investor company acquired 66% ownership of the company in 2007.

Nigeria became independent from the shackles of the British colony in 1960 and her freedom was celebrated nationwide but little did we know that we were fooled because we were only given freedom to control our political affairs as a sovereign state but not totally free to control our trading activities. What we have these days are successful foreign brands being domesticated to fit into our system but still holding on to their foreign influence as a source. This is just the same way the British colonial masters came to us several decades ago with their religion, language, culture, system of government, corruption, deadly weapons and all sort but pretending to be like us so we can adapt and assimilate all that they brought. Later, we became the victim and they remained the captor till 1960.

So far, there had been an obvious dominance of foreign brands over our indigenous brands and we seem not to care about taking full charge with a strategic sustainability plan. Nigerians are smart, innovative and hardworking but it is a pity that all efforts invested into our locally produced products are usually frustrated by the dominance from the foreign brands that have flooded our markets.

The essence of this post is not to blame the government or anyone else for not providing an enabling environment to foster innovative and sustainable indigenous products but to motivate and inspire Nigerian entrepreneurs to look far beyond the odds and keep trying hard as we fight the battle of taking over our inheritance from the foreign brands that are here to take charge of our market. If the brains behind the brands listed above could struggle to remain relevant till today; despite all odds, why can’t your brand also survive the struggle?

I feel happy about the current trend in the beverage (soft drinks) production industry as an indigenous brand is strategically taking over the market and power seems to be changing hands from some domineering international brands (who spend huge money on adverts) to our indigenous brand. The same thing is happening in the telecom sector. Now, the competition is on, let’s show all the foreign and half-caste brands that we know the way because it is our way.

On another note, we really need to work on our branding culture in Nigeria. There are several indigenous products out there without any brand identity. I wonder how most of our locally produced building blocks, fruits, farm produce, furniture, herbs and some services are not properly or creatively branded so that we can monitor their progress and differentiate a particular product produced by a manufacturer from same product produced by another manufacturer.

Lastly, a big shout out to our indigenous brands that did not make this list but have been on top of their game for the past 4, 3, 2 decades or a decade ago. With time, you will get there someday. Never be intimidated by the big foreign brands, you know the territory more than them. We all know that it is not easy to start and maintain a business in Nigeria but you guys have really made us proud; you deserve some accolade. Don’t ever relent because you can always do better. God bless Nigeria! Kindly tag and share with anyone who needs to read this piece and don’t forget to acknowledge the source. Thank you!

#MadeInNigeria #BuyNaija #NigerianProducts #ProudlyNigerian #NaijaTakeover #SayNoToBrandSlavery #NigerianBusiness #NigerianStartUpBusiness #NigeriaMyNigeria

http://brandinspector..com/2018/09/top-five-100-nigerian-brands-that-have.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by DanielJones: 9:23pm On Sep 06, 2018
Nice write up. But what about brands like First Bank, Oxford Biscuit, Lucozade, St Luis, Benson & Hedges, Nestle and others...? Why aren't they on your list?
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by kurlarday: 9:36pm On Sep 06, 2018
DanielJones:
Nice write up. But what about brands like First Bank, Oxford Biscuit, Lucozade, St Luis, Benson & Hedges, Nestle and others...? Why aren't they on your list?

Black men don't read but glance through a piece of writing and look at pictures. Ol boy, all the brands you mentioned are not fully Nigerian. If you don't have anything to comment, just read and ignore biko. I for just call you #Ewu right now but Nairaland fit suspend me for that. So, I rest my case lipsrsealed
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by budiliscious(f): 10:59pm On Sep 06, 2018
kurlarday:

Black men don't read but glance through a piece of writing and look at pictures. Ol boy, all the brands you mentioned are not fully Nigerian. If you don't have anything to comment, just read and ignore biko. I for just call you #Ewu right now but Nairaland fit suspend me for that. So, I rest my case lipsrsealed

That is rather too harsh shocked
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by kurlarday: 11:06am On Sep 07, 2018
budiliscious:

That is rather too harsh shocked

Harsh me? Let him read in-between the lines.
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by kurlarday: 9:50am On Sep 08, 2018
@Moderator...do I need to remind you that this is front page material? Ooya do the needful.
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by Dreamkiller: 11:13am On Sep 08, 2018
Op what of indian hemp. It has made so many people feel good for a long time, but it needs branding too.
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by budiliscious(f): 11:28am On Sep 08, 2018
Dreamkiller:
Op what of indian hemp. It has made so many people feel good for a long time, but it needs branding too.
That is true. Very true. There are a lot of common products here in Nigeria that need branding.
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by budiliscious(f): 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2018
Front page worthy
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by budiliscious(f): 2:27pm On Sep 10, 2018
cool grin cheesy
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by budiliscious(f): 3:05pm On Oct 09, 2018
Nice oNe
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by anthonyuncle(m): 4:04pm On Apr 05, 2019
nice write up. I never knew some of dz
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by budiliscious(f): 3:04pm On Jun 22, 2019
Truly, we still have a looooooooong way to go.
Re: Top Five 100% Nigerian Brands That Have Stood The Test Of Time by DanielJones: 1:06pm On Dec 06, 2019
budiliscious:
Truly, we still have a looooooooong way to go.

Really long way.

(1) (Reply)

Who Said You Can't Make Money On Social Network / What Business Can Someone Start In Enugu State With 2 - 5 Million / Fresh!: [scam Alert!!!] | Don't Be A Victim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.