Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

The Atheist In Islam For Muslims - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Atheist In Islam For Muslims (2757 Views)

Is It Permissible For Muslims To Live In The Land Of The Kuffar? / The History Of Islam: For Afospecialk To See / "Why Did You Leave Sunni Islam For Shia Islam?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 11:38pm On Sep 07, 2018
Over in the Religion section there's all complaining that they got too many atheist and wonder why we aren't over here.

I figured they got a point so I've come over. Besides, they are seriously beginning to bore me with their often low mentality!

Hope this proves an upgrade.

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by NobodyKnows(m): 11:45pm On Sep 07, 2018
budaatum:
Over in the Religion section there's all complaining that they got too many atheist and wonder why we aren't over here.

I figured they got a point so I've come over. Besides, they are seriously beginning to bore me with their often low mentality!

No sane Muslim will engage you in any yèyé argument here sir .
Kindly go back to where you come from .
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 12:20am On Sep 08, 2018
NobodyKnows:

No sane Muslim will engage you in any yèyé argument here sir .
Kindly go back to where you come from .
Thanks
Good. I'm staying. Thanks for welcoming NobodyKnows

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by usermane(m): 2:59am On Sep 08, 2018
budaatum:

What was your former religion?
Why did you quit?

3 Likes

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 12:35am On Sep 10, 2018
usermane:

What was your former religion?
Why did you quit?
I never had a religion. I've been interested in religions though since I was seven and some kids told me Oyinbo rats talk. My parents weren't into religion when they had me, though they are now, or at least ma, the only one alive, is.

I used to go church from age 7 when I worked out it was the only way to get out of the house on Sunday. It was never catching, but it got me interested in reading the Bible which I started at nine and finished before my thirteenth birthday.

The stories in the Bible were good stories to learn from but being the avid reader that I was, "belief" never entered into the equation since it wouldn't have entered into my reading of just about any book. You imagine believing Alice really went through a Looking Glass, or the stories in Homer's Odyssey and you might get my drift.

Fifteen years ago, Ma said I was stubborn and that before rejecting, I should at least try it - I think she might not have known I took myself off to Church all those many years ago. So I began going to Church again and did so for 12 years "trying it" like I was told to. I went Bible Study, was secretary of the Parochial Church Council and the Men's Group and volunteered as the English as a Foreign Language teacher, but I've always remained a "there are definitely no gods" atheist, and many in the congregation in the church I still sometimes go to know that I am.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by alhassanyusuf29(m): 5:27am On Sep 20, 2018
why don't try reading the Quran then and see for yourself?
budaatum:

I never had a religion. I've been interested in religions though since I was seven and some kids told me Oyinbo rats talk. My parents weren't into religion when they had me, though they are now, or at least ma, the only one alive, is.

I used to go church from age 7 when I worked out it was the only way to get out of the house on Sunday. It was never catching, but it got me interested in reading the Bible which I started at nine and finished before my thirteenth birthday.

The stories in the Bible were good stories to learn from but being the avid reader that I was, "belief" never entered into the equation since it wouldn't have entered into my reading of just about any book. You imagine believing Alice really went through a Looking Glass, or the stories in Homer's Odyssey and you might get my drift.

Fifteen years ago, Ma said I was stubborn and that before rejecting, I should at least try it - I think she might not have known I took myself off to Church all those many years ago. So I began going to Church again and did so for 12 years "trying it" like I was told to. I went Bible Study, was secretary of the Parochial Church Council and the Men's Group and volunteered as the English as a Foreign Language teacher, but I've always remained a "there are definitely no gods" atheist, and many in the congregation in the church I still sometimes go to know that I am.
Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by alhassanyusuf29(m): 5:27am On Sep 20, 2018
why don't you try reading the Quran?
budaatum:

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 2:52pm On Sep 20, 2018
alhassanyusuf29:
why don't you try reading the Quran?
I have read the Quran. It gave me a better understanding about religion in general but never made a believer of me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by alhassanyusuf29(m): 2:53pm On Sep 20, 2018
cover to cover?
budaatum:

I have read the Quran.
Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 2:55pm On Sep 20, 2018
alhassanyusuf29:
cover to cover?
Twice

2 Likes

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by alhassanyusuf29(m): 2:57pm On Sep 20, 2018
so what do you think about it?
budaatum:

Twice
Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 3:08pm On Sep 20, 2018
alhassanyusuf29:
so what do you think about it?
Interesting book. It's writer was ingenious. Necessary for it's time. Insightful about the Bible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by alhassanyusuf29(m): 8:15am On Sep 21, 2018
did u find any issue or shortcoming from it?
budaatum:

Interesting book. It's writer was ingenious. Necessary for it's time. Insightful about the Bible.
Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 11:59am On Sep 21, 2018
alhassanyusuf29:
did u find any issue or shortcoming from it?
I wasn't looking for issues or shortcomings in it. There was too much good in it for any issue or shortcoming to be what would jump out at me I guess.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by alhassanyusuf29(m): 4:07pm On Sep 21, 2018
why not embrace it then if u had no issues?
budaatum:

I wasn't looking for issues or shortcomings in it. There was too much good in it for any issue or shortcoming to be what would jump out at me I guess.

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 7:41pm On Sep 21, 2018
alhassanyusuf29:
why not embrace it then if u had no issues?
Same reason I don't embrace Socrates, or Plato, or Aristotle, or some local pastor or Bible or anything for that matter really, especially words in particular handed down in antiquity. And that's if by 'embrace', you mean, adopt as my Word of God dictating to me what and how the world is and what and how I must worship.

My Quran clearly states that if "all the trees on the earth were pens, and all the sea (were ink), with seven more seas added thereto, the words of God would not be exhausted in the writing".

It would therefore be rather ill-advised for me to read one book and make an idol out of it and call it God especially when I have so many more 'words of God' at my disposal. If I had made one of the previous works my sole God book, I might never have learnt that wonderful wisdom. Though, more likely, a person like me making Gods out of books, there'd be hundreds of idols!

It is, in my opinion, not wise to live on one book alone, but by every word that proceedeth from God's mouth or hand or written by someone else. And that's why I'm not an embracer of any single one, sort of person, so to speak.

4 Likes

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 21, 2018
It would therefore be rather ill-advised for me to read one book and make an idol out of it and call it God especially when I have so many more 'words of God' at my disposal. If I had made one of the previous works my sole God book, I might never have learnt that wonderful wisdom. Though, more likely, a person like me making Gods out of books, there'd be hundreds of idols!

I don't know if I understood your point here but if I did then:

No sane person will ask you to make a book your God, the Qur'an is the UNCREATED speech of Allaah, and that is why the verse you brought said what it said, only a created thing has an end, the speech of Allaah, it is not created so it can never be exhausted. So the word of Allaah is there to guide you and tell you what to do and what not to do, so you are to take the one who speaks these uncreated words as God not his attribute (which is his words).

It is in my opinion not wise to live on one book alone, but by every word that proceedeth from God's mouth or hand or written by someone else. And that's why I'm not an embracer of any single one, sort of person, so to speak.

The Qur'an itself alludes to the fact that a true believer is he who follows all the previously sent book and the Quran itself. If you believe on only the previously sent books without the Qur'an you are not a true believer, and if it is vice versa, you aren't a believer as well, you must believe in all. But the issue is, the previously sent books have been distorted. And it's clear even from their own scholars! So Muslims believe that there are books previously sent but what we have today has been mutilated, mutilated without recognition. Only the Qur'an stands without being distorted.

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 9:19pm On Sep 21, 2018
AbdelKabir:

I don't know if I understood your point here but if I did then:

No sane person will ask you to make a book your God, the Qur'an is the UNCREATED speech of Allaah, and that is why the verse you brought said what it said, only a created thing has an end, the speech of Allaah, it is not created so it can never be exhausted. So the word of Allaah is there to guide you and tell you what to do and what not to do, so you are to take the one who speaks these uncreated words as God not his attribute (which is his words).

The Qur'an itself alludes to the fact that a true believer is he who follows all the previously sent book and the Quran itself. If you believe on only the previously sent books without the Qur'an you are not a true believer, and if it is vice versa, you aren't a believer as well, you must believe in all. But the issue is, the previously sent books have been distorted. And it's clear even from their own scholars! So Muslims believe that there are books previously sent but what we have today has been mutilated, mutilated without recognition. Only the Qur'an stands without being distorted.
All books have been distorted from what was originally intended and claiming one particular one isn't is simply an attempt to make it the only God. Believable, but not true.

Besides, one must not make images and call them God, for God must be mightier, bigger, greater, etc than can possibly be bounded in one single book, even if all the trees et al.

The issue here is indeed 'believe'. I am a very unbelieving individual. I don't hold things to be true if evidence suggests otherwise.

4 Likes

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by budaatum: 9:41pm On Sep 21, 2018
AbdelKabir:

the Qur'an is the UNCREATED speech of Allaah, and that is why the verse you brought said what it said, only a created thing has an end, the speech of Allaah, it is not created so it can never be exhausted. So the word of Allaah is there to guide you and tell you what to do and what not to do, so you are to take the one who speaks these uncreated words as God not his attribute (which is his words).
It was a great feat of the Prophet Muhammed to have understood what was put forward in John's prologue, but the literal Word, or understanding of it, cannot be all that was meant, nor can any one book be the total extent of it since all those trees and pens seven times in the Quran itself says so.

The Quran is indeed merely a guide. It is in no way God, neither is that which it points to, nor is the pointer. Taking any of them and calling it "the one who speaks", and "uncreated words", is a sort of deification, a creation of images to worship. Surely, the Quran guides against the bowing down and worshipping anything but God!?

4 Likes

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by TheSourcerer: 7:24am On Jun 29, 2020
budaatum:

Good. I'm staying. Thanks for welcoming NobodyKnows
they are dumber than christains , great job with the response ♥️♥️

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by TheSourcerer: 7:31am On Jun 29, 2020
Wow badaatum
We are quite alike than I thought

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by LordReed(m): 9:49am On Jun 29, 2020
TheSourcerer:
Wow badaatum
We are quite alike than I thought

My dear buda is like a distillation of that which is good in all of us.

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by TheSourcerer: 9:53am On Jun 29, 2020
LordReed:

My dear buda is like a distillation of that which is good in all of us.

Reed you too? Lol

I think the common thing is love
Love supercedes

But then again is love real or another blissful illusion we hold on to?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by LordReed(m): 10:12am On Jun 29, 2020
TheSourcerer:

Reed you too? Lol

Love supercedes

It is our emotional response to beings like us. Some of its more lofty concepts are unreal for sure but it is still useful for us.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by TheSourcerer: 10:46am On Jun 29, 2020
LordReed:

It is our emotional response to beings like us. Some of its more lofty concepts are unreal for sure but it is still useful for us.
fact , some emotions are unnecessary , I didn't know it was possible but I killed most of my emotions at 12, I didn't know it got so bad , saw my mother as a woman who bore me because she had random sex with a man

I Killed love , gratified lust , killed pain , killed the mind(or suppressed ) because the mind still dictates or probably impossible to kill, as it is life ,
Conscience on the other hand haha goodbye

Now this ruined me for a while as it was like I never had these emotions before leaving me to believe emotions are endorphins , hormones , serotonin enzymes dopamine and all that ish combined to form a chemical mix to for emotions ,

Take example take two cans of coke
Keep one give another to a girl
Now shake your can twice and open , the girl should do likewise

It explosed at the same level of energy and burst of force , now if the burst of force from the can is equal to that of the female .

Then love is found

I really wish you guys both understand this text

Emotions are not definite and can be so tamed they are almost gone but for some reason they sterotipically call you non human if you lack emotion

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by Xmuslim: 1:26pm On Jun 29, 2020
TheSourcerer:

Reed you too? Lol

Love supercedes

I don't think love is real per se. We don't usually love people's personality without any other attachment (such as beauty, money, religion etc). Thus, we don't love unconditionally. The love fades once the conditions upon which it's built are no more

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by IMAliyu(m): 7:11pm On Jun 29, 2020
TheSourcerer:
fact , some emotions are nessesary , I didn't know it was poosposs but I killed most of my emotions at 12, I didn't know it got so bad , saw my mother as a woman who bore me because she had random sex with a man

Killed love , gratified lust , killed pain , killed the mind(or suppressed ) because the mind still dictates or probably imoimposi to kill as it is life ,
Conscience on the other hand haha goodbye

Now this ruined me for a while as it was like I never had these emotions before leaving me to believe emotions are endorphins , hormones , serotonin enzymes dopamine and all that ish combined to form a chemical mix to for emotions ,

Take example take two cans of coke
Keep one give another to a girl
Now shake your can twice and open , the girl should do likewise

It explosed at the same level of energy and burst of force , now if the burst of force from the can is equal to that of the female .

Then love is found

I really wish you guys both understand this text

Emotions are not definite and can be so tamed they are almost gone but for some reason they sterotipically call you non human if you lack emotion
Usually feeling a disconnect from emotions could be a sign of depression, stress, or anxiety.

Kinda went through a similar thing back in secondary school and still have some of the residue of that to this day, like when I got the news when my grandfather passed away I couldn't feel anything (and I liked the man) and I just went back to sleep while everyone was trying to console each other, or when my best friend was having feats of paranoia and later hospitalised for cerebral malaria I still couldn't feel anything, don't get me wrong was I around for him, but my lack of reaction or emotion when I got the news disturbs me to this day.
I started wondering why, and thinking something is most definitely wrong.

Emotions on some level is what connects people and helps build relationships (On a biological level even kinda like the reason a mother doesn't abandon her infant no matter how annoying or demanding they can get, interestingly enough the evolutionary argument for why women are more compassionate than men). When you can't display any emotion people have a hard time relating with you or reading you and thus may call you non human. The reason psychopaths are dangerous is they can convincingly fake emotional expressions and have no ability for empathy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by TheSourcerer: 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2020
IMAliyu:

Usually feeling a disconnect from emotions could be a sign of depression, stress, or anxiety.

Kinda went through a similar thing back in secondary school and still have some of the residue of that to this day, like when I got the news when my grandfather passed away I couldn't feel anything (and I liked the man) and I just went back to sleep while everyone was trying to console each other, or when my best friend was having feats of paranoia and later hospitalised for cerebral malaria I still couldn't feel anything, don't get me wrong was I around for him, but my lack of reaction or emotion when I got the news disturbs me to this day.

Emotions on some level is what connects people and helps build relationships (On a biological level even kinda like the reason a mother doesn't abandon her infant no matter how annoying or demanding they can get, interestingly enough the evolutionary argument for why women are more compassionate than men). When you can't display any emotion people have a hard time relating with you or reading you and thus may call you non human. The reason psychopaths are dangerous is they can convincingly fake emotional expressions and have no ability for empathy.
you are pinpoint. I try as much as possible to get the right facial expression/emotion for each public situation. Smh
Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by TheSourcerer: 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2020
IMAliyu:

you really do get me bro♥️

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by TheSourcerer: 7:41pm On Jun 29, 2020
Xmuslim:

I don't think love is real per se. We don't usually love people's personality without any other attachment (such as beauty, money, religion etc). Thus, we don't love unconditionally. The love fades once the conditions upon which it's built are no more
true
Except maybe biological Love (parent-child)but I believe this 'love' is mere Instinct , as we have noticed this Instinct of protecting young one in animals , so even biological Love is not real

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by LordReed(m): 7:41pm On Jun 29, 2020
IMAliyu:

Emotional development is not a priority in this part of the world. Our parents didn't care much, maybe because they thought it would just form as a part of us and so didn't pay attention to it. Also all too often they chided us for every expression of emotion as us overreacting. I too experienced this stunted emotional development. I didn't know how to process many types of emotion, only overwhelming types. I am trying to pay attention to my children's emotional expression because I think it's important for them to develop proper emotional reactions to things. Screaming and shouting should not be the only way to express how or what you are feeling.

1 Like

Re: The Atheist In Islam For Muslims by IMAliyu(m): 8:35pm On Jun 29, 2020
LordReed:

Emotional development is not a priority in this part of the world. Our parents didn't care much, maybe because they thought it would just form as a part of us and so didn't pay attention to it. Also all too often they chided us for every expression of emotion as us overreacting. I too experienced this stunted emotional development. I didn't know how to process many types of emotion, only overwhelming types. I am trying to pay attention to my children's emotional expression because I think it's important for them to develop proper emotional reactions to things. Screaming and shouting should not be the only way to express how or what you are feeling.
You're so right.
I remember my nephew(5 years) telling his mother "I love you" and kissing her on the cheek.
If you saw my surprise eh. Took me a second to evaluate my reaction and remember there was nothing wrong here and it's normal. But it's just me that has trouble with it and you better not try that oyinbo behaviour with classic Africa parents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eid-l-adha 2018: Thread To Wish Your Loved Ones / Differences Between Zakkah And Taxes / How to perform gushlu (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.