Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,044 members, 7,835,518 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos (10152 Views)

Facebook Copies Snapchat Feature: Feature Goes Live In Nigeria / Nigeria’s Emergency Number 7411 Goes Live / Etisalat Goes Live On Main One Submarine Cable System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Omolulu(m): 1:44pm On Jul 02, 2010
Parnassuss:

Can I here someone say 'YAHOO PROMO'. grin
YAHOO PROMOO!! grin
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by AjanleKoko: 1:52pm On Jul 02, 2010
Most of the Tier 1 carriers have already signed up and bought capacity.
The real problem is with the wholesale pricing from Main One. Who are those talking about last-mile? With all the fiber all over Lagos, Abuja and PH?
The whole of Lagos have been repeatedly dug and re-dug by MTN, 21st Century, and Glo.
We may not have FTTX and last-mile fiber circuits yet, but with all the wireless access around (HSPA, EVDO, WIMAX), you can get decent connections in the major cities already.

I think the cost of funds for the project were probably high already.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by hercules07: 1:53pm On Jul 02, 2010
The problem with MTN's 3.5G is that it is not really adequate, if our internet access is dependent on wireless access, then we need wimax or higher to satisfy the needs, unfortunately, the oyinbo man that is developing these technologies is not moving at a pace that we need, we are bound by technologies that are developed overseas. Frequency spectrum for rollout of these services too is another issue, the frequencies are expensive and not adequate, there is so much you can do with 5MHz of spectrum (if you like multiplex until you die). Peering among operators is another issue, why should my mail go all the way to south africa before it lands in the yahoo mail box of my colleague sitting down the hall (it is assumed we do not have a mail server at work), the government needs to do something about this, internet services will boom with proper peering arrangements.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by AjanleKoko: 1:57pm On Jul 02, 2010
hercules07:

The problem with MTN's 3.5G is that it is not really adequate, if our internet access is dependent on wireless access, then we need wimax or higher to satisfy the needs, unfortunately, the oyinbo man that is developing these technologies is not moving at a pace that we need, we are bound by technologies that are developed overseas. Frequency spectrum for rollout of these services too is another issue, the frequencies are expensive and not adequate, there is so much you can do with 5MHz of spectrum (if you like multiplex until you die). Peering among operators is another issue, why should my mail go all the way to south africa before it lands in the yahoo mail box of my colleague sitting down the hall (it is assumed we do not have a mail server at work), the government needs to do something about this, internet services will boom with proper peering arrangements.

Bros,
No vex o, but you dey yarn major dust undecided
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by dolu2007(m): 1:58pm On Jul 02, 2010
The beautiful thing is that Users/Consumers would benefit more from all of this. It means better services, and  lower cost of purchase and maintenance

Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by hercules07: 1:59pm On Jul 02, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Most of the Tier 1 carriers have already signed up and bought capacity.
The real problem is with the wholesale pricing from Main One. Who are those talking about last-mile? With all the fiber all over Lagos, Abuja and PH?
The whole of Lagos have been repeatedly dug and re-dug by MTN, 21st Century, and Glo.
We may not have FTTX and last-mile fiber circuits yet, but with all the wireless access around (HSPA, EVDO, WIMAX), you can get decent connections in the major cities already.

I think the cost of funds for the project were probably high already.

EVDO is not broadband, infact the only broadband connection you have there is WIMAX and I do not see it being widely deployed (Wimax bundled laptops are just coming out). We do not actually need last mile fiber circuit, what we need is last mile copper (xDSL) and we are there. We need to find a way to carry most of our internet traffic on our local capacity, it does not make sense for Glo and MTN to have fiber all over Nigeria without peering. If Glo and MTN should peer and can get the corporate organisations on their network, they will determine the cost of internet bandwidth in Nigeria, not Main One, we need to keep local traffic, local since we have the infrastructure in place.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by hercules07: 2:02pm On Jul 02, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Bros,
No vex o, but you dey yarn major dust undecided

Bros I no vex, but you suppose correct my dust now instead of just saying so, also please highlight the portion that is dust so that we can look at it together. If we are to put our internet access on wireless, then we have to grow at the rate that wireless technology is growing, meanwhile, cable technology is light years ahead of wireless.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 2:09pm On Jul 02, 2010
@hercules

why do u keep talking of wireless. . when this is all about cable and i am guessing  DSL. . . .
wireless is not the best for mass broad band rollout imo
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 2:12pm On Jul 02, 2010
The problem with MTN's 3.5G is that it is not really adequate, if our internet access is dependent on wireless access

Your internet access up to now is dependent on wireless because there has been no submarine cables until now. . .

now the cable is there. . . .

I expect Nigerians to start switching to DSL through a home landline. . which is more stable and cheaper
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by deor03(m): 2:15pm On Jul 02, 2010
hercules07:

Bros I no vex, but you suppose correct my dust now instead of just saying so, also please highlight the portion that is dust so that we can look at it together. If we are to put our internet access on wireless, then we have to grow at the rate that wireless technology is growing, meanwhile, cable technology is light years ahead of wireless.

I agree with you hercules07
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by buffox: 2:20pm On Jul 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

Your internet access up to now is dependent on wireless because there has been no submarine cables until now. . .

now the cable is there. . . .

I expect Nigerians to start switching to DSL through a home landline. . which is more stable and cheaper

The wireless being referred to is metro-networks. The submarine cable terminates at a landing point from where network operators take over. How they get the data to you is based on the infrastructure they already have or are willing to roll out.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by sjeezy8: 2:23pm On Jul 02, 2010
The lady in that video (the journalist) is very pretty

good news
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by hercules07: 2:24pm On Jul 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

@hercules

why do u keep talking of wireless. . when this is all about cable and i am guessing  DSL. . . .
wireless is not the best for mass broad band rollout imo

When I talk about wireless, I am talking about the distribution medium, the transmission medium is Fiber, but last mile access still is wireless (evdo, 1x and other variants). We do not have adequate DSL penetration in Lagos (Lagos Island, VI and just a few areas have DSL). Your link is as fast as the slowest point, imagine 300 people sharing a 1.5Mhz spectrum, if the providers like let them have 20Gb/s of bandwidth at their NOC, if the distribution medium is slow, the internet link is slow.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by DisGuy: 2:34pm On Jul 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

Its funny u reside in the USA see how things work,but advocate the worst policies for Nigeria

GOVT mandates do not provide better services. . .

[color=#990000]The thing that will drop prices is more competition. . .

The MAIN ONE cable provider will not only sell bandwidth to MTN,but to all other Communication companys in Nigeria,like GLO,ETISALAT,ZAIN and so on

I am guessing that if MTN jacks up its prices,the rest will lower them to steal customers from MTN
Please watch the video i posted above

Its funny that u want a GOVT that failed woefully in NITEL to now dictate to Private companies how much they should charge for their service
Its like u dont see how badly that policy is stunting the growth of Private sector providers of electricity in Nigeria
[/color]

Competition alone is not a guarantee prices will drop with all the competition in nigeria we are still paying through the nose for using mobile phone when compared to many parts of africa, these providers can easily hide under govt infrastructural problems, these guy re-coup their investment in about 2years instead of the projected 5years
In Europe

The European Commission's today brought into force new limits on roaming mobile data charges, aiming to prevent users from running up large mobile bills while travelling abroad.

The new rules will mean that users will be automatically cut off when their data charges reach to €50 (£41).

With all the competiton
The European Commission, frustrated by lack of competition, started regulating roaming prices in 2007. In July 2009, further cuts were approved that will reduce roaming prices in stages until July 2011, when maximum roaming prices will be capped at 35 cents a minute for calls made and 11 cents for calls received.

These rules will remain in place until the end of June 2012, when the commission will reassess its roaming policy.

"I am determined to make the EU's telecoms markets more competitive," Kroes added.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by buffox: 2:37pm On Jul 02, 2010
hercules07:

^^ I know MTN is about to get on the WiMAX train and quick too; roll-out might actually begin by end of the year or early next year. But wimax is already new set of equipment, different network altogether, thats my point. The only economies of scale they can get with this is with their existing towers and shelters. The speed would come but still @ a price, especially when they know they are exclusive with speed.

But the coming of main one might mark the start of the competition for bulk bandwidth. All these people have fibre, but still use the competitive mentality. I know for a fact the MTNs and GLOs who have fibre coverage are very price-unfriendly with leasing circuits to the Starcomms and Multilinks of the industry, in order to stifle them. So they have to stay with the satellite people like gateway, who obviously charge them quite high too cos its satellite.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by AjanleKoko: 2:46pm On Jul 02, 2010
hercules07:

Bros I no vex, but you suppose correct my dust now instead of just saying so, also please highlight the portion that is dust so that we can look at it together.

Sure. See below

hercules07:

The problem with MTN's 3.5G is that it is not really adequate, if our internet access is dependent on wireless access, then we need wimax or higher to satisfy the needs, unfortunately, the oyinbo man that is developing these technologies is not moving at a pace that we need, we are bound by technologies that are developed overseas.

UMTS HSxPA (which MTN, Glo and Zain have currently) - 14.4Mbps downlink, 5.76Mbps uplink. With HSPA+, you get something like 56Mbps downlink and 22Mbps uplink.
That's not bad for consumer Internet access, on a network that still have to support circuit-switched services.  Of course, wireless is not copper or fiber, but . . . come on. The same oyinbo don come up with LTE already.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by naijatoday: 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2010
I do not expect internet to be faster because Main one does not have the last mile infrastructure.

Glo-1 one has not launched because the are currently laying cable for the last mile.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by GBT(m): 3:03pm On Jul 02, 2010
Right step in the right direction
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by hercules07: 3:10pm On Jul 02, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Sure. See below

UMTS HSxPA (which MTN, Glo and Zain have currently) - 14.4Mbps downlink, 5.76Mbps uplink. With HSPA+, you get something like 56Mbps downlink and 22Mbps uplink.
That's not bad for consumer Internet access, on a network that still have to support circuit-switched services.  Of course, wireless is not copper or fiber, but . . . come on. The same oyinbo don come up with LTE already.

Bros, how many people dey share the 14.4Mbps and the 56Mbps.  Imagine lagosians adopting internet access the way they adopted gsm lines, all ths HSPA will get choked one time and you will be lucky if you can get a 56Kbps connection. Frequency spectrum limits what can be achieved on wireless in Nigeria, when iphone users hit networks in the US, the network operators raised alarm about link congestions. The desire for broadband internet access can only be met by having tier1 connection to the internet, wired distribution medium and proper peering arrangement, till then, prices might come down, but not as low as envisaged.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 3:19pm On Jul 02, 2010
Imagine lagosians adopting internet access the way they adopted gsm lines, all ths HSPA will get choked one time and you will be lucky if you can get a 56Kbps connection.

Telecomms Infrastructure has to be continuosly upgraded even in the USA

ATT,Verizon and co have to keep spending billions every yr to improve service

I suspect it is the same for Nigeria

The upshoot is that telecomms equipment providers like cisco are rolling out new equipment to deal with the problem of data/broadband congestion

New technology will eventually win
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by damilola15: 3:56pm On Jul 02, 2010
Let more of them come, just like sim cards become "ya mu tire" when glo came.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by hercules07: 4:30pm On Jul 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

Telecomms Infrastructure has to be continuosly upgraded even in the USA

ATT,Verizon and co have to keep spending billions every yr to improve service

I suspect it is the same for Nigeria

The upshoot is that telecomms equipment providers like cisco are rolling out new equipment to deal with the problem of data/broadband congestion

New technology will eventually win

I agree they should upgrade their infrastructure but they are only concentrating on wireless access technology, Glo has been rolling out DSL for almost 3 years, MTN bought VGC communications and have not done much on wired access, Nitel is dead. Imagine the US subsisting on wireless access alone.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by gidson12(m): 5:11pm On Jul 02, 2010
goodnews, i;ve heard so much about it
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by leighcon(m): 5:46pm On Jul 02, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Sure. See below

That's not bad for consumer Internet access, on a network that still have to support circuit-switched services. Of course, wireless is not copper or fiber, but . . . come on. The same oyinbo don come up with LTE already.

AJ,
Sure you are speaking from the inside but I can tell you this is more like in theory - You'll see why below

hercules07:

Bros, how many people dey share the 14.4Mbps and the 56Mbps. Imagine lagosians adopting internet access the way they adopted gsm lines, all ths HSPA will get choked one time and you will be lucky if you can get a 56Kbps connection. Frequency spectrum limits what can be achieved on wireless in Nigeria, when iphone users hit networks in the US, the network operators raised alarm about link congestions. The desire for broadband internet access can only be met by having tier1 connection to the internet, wired distribution medium and proper peering arrangement, till then, prices might come down, but not as low as envisaged.

The truth is what @hercules07 is talking about here is congestion of wireless spectra allocated to these providers and I can confirm to you that this has been the bane of last mile access.
Reasons are not far fecthed - Frequency is more than scarce! Some buy and keep and have never used while some providers who are willing(need) to grow capacity cannot get more from NCC.
If we must rely on wireless technology then NCC must regulate properly and ensure that a provider is allocated what is justifiably needed and never allocate what is not readily needed. (Just check their site and see how many licences have been given out for last mile but check how many have indeed roll out) -

May be wired line will be better for where it already exists
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by leighcon(m): 5:52pm On Jul 02, 2010
Mod,
May be this thread should even be in Telecoms
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 5:58pm On Jul 02, 2010
MAIN ONE IS ALREADY MAKING A DIFFERENCE,CHECK THE ARTICLE BELOW

Etisalat connects four million subscribers
THURSDAY, 01 JULY 2010 00:00 NIGERIAN COMPASS
The Chief Executive Officer, Etisalat Nigeria, Steve Evans, has said that the telco now has four million subscribers on its network.

Evans revealed this at the just concluded West and Central Africa Com Conference in Dakar , Senegal.

He said the company remained committed to connecting the unconnected in Nigeria.

The West and Central Africa Com Conference, is the prestigious gathering of operators (fixed, mobile, wireless), Internet Service Providers (ISP), regulators, investors and vendors from the region to debate the future of telecommunications.

Evans said since its entry into the Nigerian market 20 months ago; Etisalat had become an intrinsic part of Nigerian social and economic life, acting as a catalyst for change and human development.

“It has continuously demonstrated leadership in significant areas not limited to the growth and development of the telecoms industry in Nigeria , but also in education under its Corporate Social Responsibility platform.”

Speaking on the topic “Enhancing Competition to Extend Connectivity to as many People as Possible”, the CEO said, “our presence in the Nigerian market is gradually being registered in the minds of our subscribers as they see that the expansion of our network is on the fast drive. They have accepted us because they realise that Etisalat is here for the long haul and will not disappear after a short while”.

He said beyond expanding the network, maintaining a high quality of service remained a key performance indicator that keeps the business constantly on its toes.

“We are building a brand new network that will manage drop calls, congestion, and still offer best quality service. We will not compromise quality of service on the platform of expansion,” he said

Assuring existing and potential subscribers that plans were under way to boost broadband penetration, he said “we plan to buy capacity from Main One, a sub-sea cable operator, and we are looking at buying more capacity from another sub-sea cable operator to boost our operations. We have decided to have capacity from two operators to avoid the issue of redundancy in network operations, should there be problems with one of the cables”.

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62229:etisalat-connects-four-million-subscribers-&catid=648:economy&Itemid=706
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by EvilBrain1(m): 6:19pm On Jul 02, 2010
The sweetest thing about this news is that Main-one is an open access supplier, meaning anyone and everyone with the money can get bandwidth to use for whatever they want. This will ensure the fairest market price and prevent potential shylocks like Glo from jacking it up or creating an artificial scarcity.

What happened to Glo by the way? Their Glo-one cable landed over eight months ago and still we haven't heard anything. They must feel really $tup!d to be beaten to market when they had such a huge lead.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 02, 2010
Good one for Naija.This Fola Adeolu guy is really someone to watch.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Wallie(m): 7:17pm On Jul 02, 2010
Guess I’m late to the party. I think a combination of fiber/copper and WiMAX is the answer. I doubt that the available WiMAX bandwidth (channel width) will be able to sustain the number of concurrent users that will be required, in a state like Lagos, if the last mile were to be strictly wireless.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by member479760: 7:47pm On Jul 02, 2010
Hope dey!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Action Launcher V33 Update Brings Adaptivezoom Feature & More / Unleash The Tech Deals! Infinix Phones Promo – Exclusive Offers In November! / Online Technology Crimes: What They Are And How To Avoid Them.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.