Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,291 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos (10154 Views)

Facebook Copies Snapchat Feature: Feature Goes Live In Nigeria / Nigeria’s Emergency Number 7411 Goes Live / Etisalat Goes Live On Main One Submarine Cable System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by mcmsat(m): 11:04pm On Jul 06, 2010
The way some people talk gives me high hope. Sometime I come to think that all these Professional jagons that Glo people used when they were launching their Glo-1 and breaking and cutting across the whole of Nigerian roads laying optic fiber cables, will come to be true but it is only a dream to this GENERATION!!
I still wonder why people who are educated like some of us here can not be able draw a line between connection speed and download(downlink) speed. I laugh when I here some people saying thay are connected at the speed oh 3.6gb/s, habba! A website of 200k will use up to a minute to open.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by nateevs(m): 10:16pm On Jul 08, 2010
Some wait for "dreams" to become reality. Others seize the moment, believe and position themselves for great things to come. Yet we wonder always why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by DisGuy: 11:08pm On Jul 08, 2010
Glo release their gra gra statement

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=177798

[b]Glo 1 Submarine Cable Ready for Inauguration

The Glo 1 submarine optic fibre cable built by telecoms giant, Globacom, is now ready for commissioning.
A statement made available to THISDAY by the Office of Globacom's Group Chief Operating Officer, Mohamed Jameel, disclosed that Globacom will begin the commissioning process by mid July with a meeting with the different key stakeholders to present Glo 1 and its benefits to them before the official launch. The statement added that the end-to-end testing of the Glo 1 facilities conducted in London, the United Kingdom, and Lagos, Nigeria, was hugely successful.

The statement described the successful completion of the Glo 1 submarine optic fibre cable at the Nigerian and United Kingdom end as not only a pride of Nigerian enterprise but also a giant stride by West Africa in its quest to bridge the digital divide between the sub-continent and the rest of the world.
According to the statement, Glo 1 is tagged as the most advanced, reliable, guaranteed, customised and cost-effective solution to West Africa's voice, internet and bulk data requirements. [/b]

funny how the reporter just did copy and past no mention on main one
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by DualCore1: 11:55pm On Jul 08, 2010
How is this going to "crash" the cost of Internet services in Nigeria? Is it not clear from that interview with Funke Opeke that Main One has no hand in prices the retailers set? Ma'am Funke and her team are "expecting" prices will go low because of competition. Brothers and Sisters of Nigeria, before Main One, there was competition and prices didnt go low. Who will these retailers be, wont it be the likes of MTN, Zain (or whatever name the GSM LovePeddler has sold itself to at that time) and others? Do we know these people to consider price "crash" during competition? I am happy for the Main One o, but its all BS to jump into conclusions and "expect" internet will be cheap because Main One has spent Trillions of Naira bringing Europe to West Africa. Main One is out to recover cost so no dulling on their "competitive" pricing scheme for retailers and the retailers as we know them will not show any dulling in slamming huge fees on "the fastest internet connection in Nigeria" or whatever ad phrase each retailer will tag it with. And we for our part will show a no-dulling attitude towards getting MainOne-EffBeeT. Someone should call Germany and tell Chris and RJ wassup'ing, make dem start to prepare test bed.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by DualCore1: 11:57pm On Jul 08, 2010
MainOne Tweak + Total Freedom Account = The way forward.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:43am On Jul 09, 2010
UR IN THE SPIRIT MAN!!

all these glo staff sef, dem dey pay una for marketing?

anyway, me can guarantee there will be no slash in prices.

interconnection prices were slashed 2 months ago, not a kobo has gone off prices of calls, and na these same pple dey lie say na interconnection make prices high.

no be the same telcos dey sell 1x internet for 10, 000 a month? if that thing is on 24/7 u cannot use 3 gb in a month!!

they are a cartel, simple. besides when pple like mtm don dey limit bandwidth, who says even the difference will translate to us?
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by AjanleKoko: 11:36am On Aug 31, 2011
Turns out all of you were wrong.
MTN, Etisalat, all slashed prices and launched new offers. Even Swift, DOPC, and Cobranet revamped their offers.

Main one was quite a success.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by samir101ng(m): 9:08am On May 16, 2012
Main One has just launched a speed test server. Ajah is now on the global map. Check it out !! grin grin
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by walcolm(m): 3:05pm On May 16, 2012
samir101ng: Main One has just launched a speed test server. Ajah is now on the global map. Check it out !! grin grin

how does that impact the average voice and data subcriber in naija?
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Djcn: 4:00pm On May 16, 2012
samir101ng: Main One has just launched a speed test server. Ajah is now on the global map. Check it out !! grin grin

How is it going with u bro? Thought u would provide a link for that, but here is what i got.

Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Dabss(m): 1:21pm On May 17, 2012
What's so special about 384kb/s? After all the hype. Nonsense.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by samir101ng(m): 5:18pm On May 17, 2012
walcolm:

how does that impact the average voice and data subcriber in naija?

It doesn't cheesy, not much anyway in the area you are implying but setting up a speed test server on your network no be beans. Check out the requirements;

http://speedtest.net/host.php

So, its an accomplishment for Main One. A step in the right direction. We shall get there soon my brother. Rome wasn't built in a day. Remember just some years back we where all browsing at cafe's or using NITEL landline at N20 per min. Times have changed.

Djcn:

How is it going with u bro? Thought u would provide a link for that, but here is what i got.

Am doing great. Check out the screenshots.

Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by kajoula(m): 8:45am On Aug 05, 2014
COST FOR SETING UP MAINONE CABLE FOR COMMERCIAL USE ?

ANY INFO PLS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Action Launcher V33 Update Brings Adaptivezoom Feature & More / Unleash The Tech Deals! Infinix Phones Promo – Exclusive Offers In November! / Online Technology Crimes: What They Are And How To Avoid Them.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.