Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,494 members, 7,830,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! (27298 Views)

Goat Farming Business: Facts About Pure Boer Goat / How To Start A Profitable Goat Farming Business / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Sparkle777(f): 12:05pm On Sep 11, 2018
dadebayo1:

Spray your surroundings with Delsate or parafox or probably any herbicide grin

Please note it might result in mortality of the goats if they come to your side... Consider other options before you use the option above grin

The option above is one of the major reasons and remote causes of the farmer \ fulani clash .. grin

Pls where and how much can I buy it? Can I spray it on the bare ground? I have carbide, will it work? I just want them to keep off. I don't want them dead or poisoned in case someone accidentally eats it. I just want them off my property. Wat can one also use to discourage fish,as on fish pond too?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by FibonacciPro: 12:05pm On Sep 11, 2018
one word: mutton
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by dadebayo1(m): 12:12pm On Sep 11, 2018
Sparkle777:

Pls where and how much can I buy it? Can I spray it on the bare ground? I have carbide, will it work? I just want them to keep off. I don't want them dead or poisoned in case someone accidentally eats it. I just want them off my property. Wat can one also use to discourage fish,as on fish pond too?

You can only use the herbicide if you have weeds around the compound. It cannot be sprayed on the bare ground without weeds.. Discourage fish as in ? I dont understand ma?

1 Like

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by dammieco(m): 12:20pm On Sep 11, 2018
ijeshaboy:
Contact me for your sokoto goat at a cheaper price, I have delivered to many nairalanders.

Ijesa ni o re?
Kaibi o ti wa n'ilu Ijesa?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 11, 2018
ijeshaboy:
Contact me for your sokoto goat at a cheaper price, I have delivered to many nairalanders.

how much do u sell ? kids
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 11, 2018
how long goat deh use mature sef?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Cee9(m): 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2018
I am currently living in JIGAWA STATE.HOME OF GOATS IN NIGERIA. IF you need GOATS,COWs OR SHEEP contact me on watsapp 07060484547..I will be willing to accommodate anyone who wishes to come down and buy too.
God bless you..
For prices it depends on what you need..

2 Likes

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by funsho75(m): 12:57pm On Sep 11, 2018
Can you offer your training on lessonng.com paid or free..

Depending on how u want it
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by valufone(m): 1:15pm On Sep 11, 2018
Maket:
How do I get the exotic breed?

Contact 08038299308 for exotic breed from south Africa
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by OlusegunAdedayo: 1:49pm On Sep 11, 2018
angry
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by drchuks1234(m): 2:21pm On Sep 11, 2018
Wow that a good idea
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 11, 2018
those hausa goats ,hw much do deh go for ....shey dwarf goat go fit fucckk dem

hw would d kids turn out ?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by millhouse: 3:21pm On Sep 11, 2018
ijeshaboy:
how much for1 goat ?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by jidestroud(m): 4:43pm On Sep 11, 2018
I'm here to learn. cool
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by wink2015(m): 5:19pm On Sep 11, 2018
Goats are domesticated ruminant animals, with backward-curving horns, reared in several parts of the world with little or no special skills required.

A profitable and rewarding business, goats are kept for several purposes, including meat, milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter or leather. Anything cow milk can do, goat milk also can.

Not only does the meat taste unique and great, it contains lower amount of fat compared to chicken and higher protein than beef. This is one amongst many reasons, why it is very lucrative and in high demand.

BREEDS
There are several varieties of goats. Amongst the popular in Nigeria include Sokoto Red, Bornu Red, West African long-legged goat, West African Dwarf (WAD) goat, Kano Brown, Bauchi time, Kalahari Red (originally imported from South Africa by the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB).

WHAT BREED SHOULD YOU OPT IN FOR?
“Rearing goats is largely dependent on your capital”, said Dr Suleiman M Yashim, an expert in Feed Resources and Ruminant Nutrition, at the Department of Animal Science (Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria).

He went further to say,

“If you are in the north, from Abuja upwards there are good breeds that do well like the Red Sokoto breed and the Sahelian/ Desert breed that can do well in Borno, Sokoto and Katsina states.

“While for the southern part of the country, especially the rain forest areas, there’s the West African dwarf goat that does very well there and weighs between 20kg and 25kg,” he said.

On the number of goats needed to start goat farming, the expert said, “for a household that wants to start small, you require two females and one male goat (buck), but if you’re in an environment where people have bucks, and you don’t intend to confine your own, then you don’t need to buy a male goat.”

For raise-and-sell farmers, you could raise only male goats because breeding is not in focus.

FEEDING:
Goats feed on virtually everything, hence making their feeding relatively cheap. They majorly feed on green grass, but for better growth and fattening, you may consider formulated feeds. Tuber and root peels could also be used due to the herbivorous nature of the animals.
So, you may consider adding grasses, cassava peels, banana peels, sweet potato peels, grains, groundnut haulms, soya beans haulms and more.
You could crush the haulms and mix with offal and others to feed the animals as supplements. Adding salt to the mixture will make available sodium and chlorine as nutrients, while bone meal will supply calcium and phosphorus.

GESTATION PERIOD IN GOATS
Gestation in goats lasts from 145 to 150 days. Goats attain market size (full maturity), between eight months and twelve months. However, this could take upto 18 months if they are not properly fed. Veterinary treatment is needed to control infertility and stunting. This could occur due to drinking water contaminated with salmonella.

DISEASES
Goats also have a lot of diseases which can spread easily and can kill the animals. Diseases like pneumonia, diarrhea, ketosis, anemia, anorexia, arthritis, anthrax, bronchitis and coccidiosis do affect goats. The feed should be checked regularly. If the feed is contaminated, the animals could come down with diarrhea. Some of the symptoms of pneumonia include mucus discharge from their noses and eyes, fever, anorexia, inflammation of the nasal and buccal cavities and respiratory difficulty.

Proper health care and sanitation, in addition to good management, must not be overlooked if any goat farmer wants to excel in the business. Like Suleiman pointed out, it is better to start small and expand as one gets more experience in the business to avoid unnecessary losses.

RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI) – GOAT FARMING
A goat’s worth is usually according to its weight. In the abattoir, a goat is weighed and the price is based on the weight of the goat or the size depending on the buyer.
Goat farming is a good agricultural business because apart from housing, cost of stocking is less capital intensive than cattle, and can bring good returns on investments with full understanding of the market. A full market size goat can be sold from N20,000 and above.

Hope you enjoyed reading! Say something in the comments section and please share!

Source >>https://naijafarmers.com/2018/08/16/goat-farming-in-nigeria-how-to-start-and-earning-big/

NICE SHARE!

Nigeria beyond crude oil!
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by adecz: 7:38pm On Sep 11, 2018
Contact me for complete, professional,
bankable bizness plan for sheep &
goat farming. Breeding or fattening.

Or any agricultural enterprise for that matter.

1 Like

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Jatinzbusinessc(m): 8:50pm On Sep 11, 2018
Focusmind:
I need the traditional Igbo dwarf goats. Any body willing to supply me like 30 for starting. My people use a lot of it during traditional marriage rights and other "omenani". It sells faster more than other because of those tradition rights

I can supply them to you.
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Jatinzbusinessc(m): 8:52pm On Sep 11, 2018
millhouse:
how much for1 goat ?

Depending on the size you want. I can supply to you
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Jatinzbusinessc(m): 8:53pm On Sep 11, 2018
Emzyme:
those hausa goats ,hw much do deh go for ....shey dwarf goat go fit fucckk dem

hw would d kids turn out ?

You can cross breed them the Hausa male and female dawf.
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Jatinzbusinessc(m): 8:55pm On Sep 11, 2018
Emzyme:
how long goat deh use mature sef?

150 days with good care and medication ready for market.
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Sammielee007: 11:18pm On Sep 11, 2018
I am also into goat farming

1 Like

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Lawless101(m): 6:25am On Sep 12, 2018
Interesting. Please should incase someone could not
Meet up with the feeding is there any special food products as supplement?
Is there food sold in the market?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by konews: 12:34am On Dec 20, 2018
Get our Goat farming business plan in Nigeria for free.
http://www.konews.com.ng/steps-on-how-to-start-goat-farming-in-nigeria/
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by ONIYI93(m): 12:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
Sammielee007:
I am also into goat farming

kindly give me your phone number, we need to talk.... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Sammielee007: 7:56pm On Dec 23, 2018
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Sammielee007: 2:17pm On Dec 27, 2018
Goat farming Biz is good and very stressful because I am into it, I started with a buck(ram), sheep and kano goat. It is good start small to gain experience. Thank u.
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Cee9(m): 7:29am On Jan 09, 2019
Hays and dusa(maize, wheat bran available)

2 Likes

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Sammielee007: 10:17pm On Jan 18, 2019
08164516732 that is it.
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Homeyfav: 5:58pm On Oct 07, 2019
][';//.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rice Farmers Meet Here / My Maize Farming Adventure In Pictures / Poultry Workers Bury Eggs To Steal Them (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.