Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,553 members, 7,812,770 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! (27228 Views)

How To Start A Profitable Goat Farming Business / Poultry Business In Nigeria: How Reliable & Profitable Is It? / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by naijafarmers: 6:59pm On Sep 10, 2018
Goats are domesticated ruminant animals, with backward-curving horns, reared in several parts of the world with little or no special skills required.

A profitable and rewarding business, goats are kept for several purposes, including meat, milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter or leather. Anything cow milk can do, goat milk also can.

Not only does the meat taste unique and great, it contains lower amount of fat compared to chicken and higher protein than beef. This is one amongst many reasons, why it is very lucrative and in high demand.

BREEDS
There are several varieties of goats. Amongst the popular in Nigeria include Sokoto Red, Bornu Red, West African long-legged goat, West African Dwarf (WAD) goat, Kano Brown, Bauchi time, Kalahari Red (originally imported from South Africa by the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB).

WHAT BREED SHOULD YOU OPT IN FOR?
“Rearing goats is largely dependent on your capital”, said Dr Suleiman M Yashim, an expert in Feed Resources and Ruminant Nutrition, at the Department of Animal Science (Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria).

He went further to say,

“If you are in the north, from Abuja upwards there are good breeds that do well like the Red Sokoto breed and the Sahelian/ Desert breed that can do well in Borno, Sokoto and Katsina states.

“While for the southern part of the country, especially the rain forest areas, there’s the West African dwarf goat that does very well there and weighs between 20kg and 25kg,” he said.

On the number of goats needed to start goat farming, the expert said, “for a household that wants to start small, you require two females and one male goat (buck), but if you’re in an environment where people have bucks, and you don’t intend to confine your own, then you don’t need to buy a male goat.”

For raise-and-sell farmers, you could raise only male goats because breeding is not in focus.

FEEDING:
Goats feed on virtually everything, hence making their feeding relatively cheap. They majorly feed on green grass, but for better growth and fattening, you may consider formulated feeds. Tuber and root peels could also be used due to the herbivorous nature of the animals.
So, you may consider adding grasses, cassava peels, banana peels, sweet potato peels, grains, groundnut haulms, soya beans haulms and more.
You could crush the haulms and mix with offal and others to feed the animals as supplements. Adding salt to the mixture will make available sodium and chlorine as nutrients, while bone meal will supply calcium and phosphorus.

GESTATION PERIOD IN GOATS
Gestation in goats lasts from 145 to 150 days. Goats attain market size (full maturity), between eight months and twelve months. However, this could take upto 18 months if they are not properly fed. Veterinary treatment is needed to control infertility and stunting. This could occur due to drinking water contaminated with salmonella.

DISEASES
Goats also have a lot of diseases which can spread easily and can kill the animals. Diseases like pneumonia, diarrhea, ketosis, anemia, anorexia, arthritis, anthrax, bronchitis and coccidiosis do affect goats. The feed should be checked regularly. If the feed is contaminated, the animals could come down with diarrhea. Some of the symptoms of pneumonia include mucus discharge from their noses and eyes, fever, anorexia, inflammation of the nasal and buccal cavities and respiratory difficulty.

Proper health care and sanitation, in addition to good management, must not be overlooked if any goat farmer wants to excel in the business. Like Suleiman pointed out, it is better to start small and expand as one gets more experience in the business to avoid unnecessary losses.

RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI) – GOAT FARMING
A goat’s worth is usually according to its weight. In the abattoir, a goat is weighed and the price is based on the weight of the goat or the size depending on the buyer.
Goat farming is a good agricultural business because apart from housing, cost of stocking is less capital intensive than cattle, and can bring good returns on investments with full understanding of the market. A full market size goat can be sold from N20,000 and above.

Hope you enjoyed reading! Say something in the comments section and please share!

Source >>https://naijafarmers.com/2018/08/16/goat-farming-in-nigeria-how-to-start-and-earning-big/

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Nwaikuku2(m): 7:06pm On Sep 10, 2018
Unleash all if u want this thread in fp

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by naijafarmers: 8:31pm On Sep 10, 2018
Nwaikuku2:
Unleash all if u want this thread in fp

Unleashed like it's hot! wink smiley
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Thenovita: 8:36pm On Sep 10, 2018
This is a lot! Very insightful...

Keep it up

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by olusegunadex: 9:01pm On Sep 10, 2018
Lovely piece... I need links as to where to get some goats o! Do you have suppliers?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by naijafarmers: 9:41pm On Sep 10, 2018
olusegunadex:
Lovely piece... I need links as to where to get some goats o! Do you have suppliers?

Quite a number of sellers here on Nairaland, I'm sure they'd hit you up as soon as they see this!

1 Like

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by bossvic: 9:46pm On Sep 10, 2018
Been looking for ways to invest. This opened my eyes.

Hope I can make good returns with 200k invested into this business?

3 Likes

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by olusegunadex: 9:57pm On Sep 10, 2018
Food is ready grin

lalasticlala, farmtech
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by ijeshaboy: 11:16am On Sep 11, 2018
Contact me for your sokoto goat at a cheaper price, I have delivered to many nairalanders.

4 Likes

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Baroba(m): 11:16am On Sep 11, 2018
Nice thread, but the picture used are of South African Boer goats not Naija breeds..

4 Likes

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by JuanDeDios: 11:16am On Sep 11, 2018
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by PastorAji(m): 11:19am On Sep 11, 2018
I will not forget in a hurry the goat trains ng I went for in 2004
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by dingbang(m): 11:22am On Sep 11, 2018
cool

Meanwhile esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform amazing transactions on the first mobile app. Click the link on my signature for steps to register and bank your way.

You first
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by ijeshaboy: 11:22am On Sep 11, 2018
I can supply goats and sheep with cows, have supply many nairalanders.

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Sparkle777(f): 11:23am On Sep 11, 2018
I hope intending goat farmers will consider their neighbours and own a plot bf starting in other to forestall what am passing thru. My neighbours just leave their goats to be messing up the areas, eating up my crops and generally being a menace to everyone.
How can I stop them smelly goats from always staying around my house even in the night??

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by skubido(m): 11:26am On Sep 11, 2018
nice wan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 11, 2018
Good work cool
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by MrOreo(m): 11:27am On Sep 11, 2018
Cheese, milk and ice cream kwa?! Our naija goat..... undecided

1 Like

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Abdul3391(m): 11:28am On Sep 11, 2018
ijeshaboy:
Contact me for your sokoto goat at a cheaper price, I have delivered to many nairalanders.
please how much is it
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by dadebayo1(m): 11:42am On Sep 11, 2018
Sparkle777:
I hope intending goat farmers will consider their neighbours and own a plot bf starting in other to forestall what am passing thru. My neighbours just leave their goats to be messing up the areas, eating up my crops and generally being a menace to everyone.
How can I stop them smelly goats from always staying around my house even in the night??

Spray your surroundings with Delsate or parafox or probably any herbicide grin

Please note it might result in mortality of the goats if they come to your side... Consider other options before you use the option above grin

The option above is one of the major reasons and remote causes of the farmer \ fulani clash .. grin

4 Likes

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by ZarahBuhari: 11:44am On Sep 11, 2018
How much does a goat cost please?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Bhadmus77(m): 11:45am On Sep 11, 2018
olusegunadex:
my dad is a supplier.. please help him out
hit me on 09098125895
or my dad himself 07031153576
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by strenghtt: 11:46am On Sep 11, 2018
This is d kind of post we need at front page not wizkid or davido range Rover they just bought that worth $20000 OR Linda Ikeji pregnancy photo.....pls people need help than or those useless noises the so call celebs are making.

Pls where can one get BOER specie of goat in Nigeria?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by lorhema(f): 11:46am On Sep 11, 2018
Sparkle777:

We had a similar experience. Although our neighbour's goats couldn't get into our yard, they ate the hedge by our fence till it looked horrible. All members of the family took to chasing them away but you couldn't be outside all day. Our neighbour let them out in the morning and they returned home in the evening!

Our salvation came when thieves in keke began to come around and take their goats. On one occasion, they took two even while people were passing by. The losses put an end to the free range goat farm. All the hedges on our street have recovered from the 2+years of damage.

Perhaps you should pray for something that will cause them to keep their goats to themselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Ajokeade17: 11:54am On Sep 11, 2018
Informative
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Focusmind: 11:55am On Sep 11, 2018
I need the traditional Igbo dwarf goats. Any body willing to supply me like 30 for starting. My people use a lot of it during traditional marriage rights and other "omenani". It sells faster more than other because of those tradition rights

4 Likes

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Sparkle777(f): 11:57am On Sep 11, 2018
lorhema:

We had a similar experience. Although our neighbour's goats couldn't get into our yard, they ate the hedge by our fence till it looked horrible. All members of the family took to chasing them away but you couldn't be outside all day. Our neighbour let them out in the morning and they returned home in the evening!

Our salvation came when thieves in keke began to come around and take their goats. On one occasion, they took two even while people were passing by. The losses put an end to the free range goat farm. All the hedges on our street have recovered from the 2+years of damage.

Perhaps you should pray for something that will cause them to keep their goats to themselves.

Haahaahaahaahhah, honestly I have tot about that too esp as the man also owns a fish pond which he doesn't let out the water as often as should be. The stench is horrible, the goats so messy and my bitter leaf and other plants suffer so.
Maybe my prayers should be that God Almighty relocate me to a better and more exclusive area ijn.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 11, 2018
Where those G.O.A.T fans de? Whc specie b cr7 n messi?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Maket: 12:03pm On Sep 11, 2018
How do I get the exotic breed?
Re: Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! by Catastrophe1: 12:03pm On Sep 11, 2018
Sparkle777:
Honestly grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guide To Exporting Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil And Palm Kernel Shells From Nigeria / Gift Udoh: US Honours Nigerian Lady For Contribution Towards Farming [photo] / Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.