Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,893 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Words Are Powerful - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Words Are Powerful (450 Views)

Caustic Words From Son To Father / As Parents, What Are The Most Common Words Use With Children? / What Would You Tell Your Younger Self In 2 Words (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Words Are Powerful by Sammy1932(m): 6:08am On Sep 13, 2018
THE POWER OF WORDS

A true story.....

Two girls got on a bus and they started talking to each other.
“Did you hear that Sarah got engaged yesterday?”
“No, I never knew that!”
“That’s amazing that Sarah got engaged!!”
“But she is so sloppy and unorganized! How is she going to run a household?”
“She is never on time. Also, she cooked for us once and her food was terrible! Her new husband is going to starve!!”
“She spends money faster than she receives it. How will she get through the month?”

So it went, on and on and on. Behind the two girls was another lady who suddenly spoke up.
“I am sorry to interrupt you girls but I wanted to introduce myself. My son just got engaged to Sarah. Now that I know this information, I will tell my son everything that you said about Sarah and he must break off the engagement immediately. I will also tell all my friends how grateful I am to you girls for letting me know what Sarah is really like”.
The girls were shocked. They started to stutter and struggled to find the right words.
“No, No” they said with trepidation. Please do not let your son break the engagement.”
“Sarah is wonderful! She will make a great mother! She really will!”
“She is so warm, friendly and caring”.
“We were just talking. We never meant her any harm”. “Please don’t break the engagement” they pleaded.
However, the woman was adamant.
“Thank you, but based on what you said, I will make every effort to break it up as soon as possible. The girl you described sounds like a terrible person. I will inform my son immediately.”

The girls were horrified and crushed. After a short silence, the lady turned around to the girls and said “I am not the boy’s mother, but imagine if I was?”
“Do you know the damage you could have caused to this couple? You almost destroyed a potential family just because you had nothing else to talk about?”
“Words either build or destroy, use them wisely” the woman said sternly and with that she got off the bus.

This story should terrify us all.
The reason for this is because it is so easy to talk all the time without any concern for the consequences. However, unknowingly and unwittingly, we could say things that have a far reaching impact and will tangibly cause distress and pain to others and to us as the speaker.

Part of our problem is that we don't think before we talk.
Communicating in a harsh and acidic way can destroy and debilitate a person for life.

Author's advice: Words, either oral or written are all powerful:
#Before you type or post on social media, think of the consequences.
#Before you say another word, think about the result it will have on both your audience and yourself.
#Let your words heal and not hurt.
#Unspoken words can't hurt your stomach

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Words Are Powerful by uboma(m): 7:39am On Sep 13, 2018
excellent piece.
we should tame our tongue at all times.
Re: Words Are Powerful by uvemi(f): 12:42am On Sep 15, 2018
This is an eye opener

(1) (Reply)

Birth Certificate Question / Things A Woman Should Avoid During Her Monthly Cycle In Other To Stay Healthy / The One Matte Velvet Powder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.