Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,926 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless (17635 Views)

Flood Sacks Ugwueke, Abia Community, 500 People Displaced (Photos) / Flood Destroys Over N15m Worth Of Goods In Aba, Renders Many Homeless / Delta Residents Swim To Their Houses As Flood Sacks Communities (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by 360metrosports: 6:05pm On Sep 15, 2018
No fewer than 35 communities in Etsako East and Etsako Central Local Government Areas of Edo have been sacked by flood, occasioned by unending rains and overflow of the River Niger.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) report that the flood which displaced over 30,000 people, also damaged hundreds of hectares of farmland across the two council areas.

NAN reports that mostly affected by the flood are communities such as Udaba, Anegbette, Usomegbe, Uduchiz among others, all in Etsako Central Local Government.

Similarly, the flood also sacked the entire six Uneme clans in South East Uneme, Okpekpe, among others, in Etsako East Council area.

The Etsako East council boss, Mr Aremiyau Momoh and his counterpart in Etsako Central, Mr John Akhigbe, said the disaster had gone beyond the purview of the council areas.

They called for urgent intervention from both the State and the Federal Governments.

The duo said camps for the Internally Displaced Persons had been placed in strategic locations across the council areas.

Akhigbe said aside the Resettlement Camp built aftermath of a similar disaster in 2012; about five other camps are being prepared for the victims.

Similarly, Momoh said six camps had been opened in Etsako East for the same purpose.

“We have tried our best as far as the councils are concerned, we are hoping and appealing to the Federal Government to urgently intervene on this matter,” he said.

In his remarks, the clan Head of Uzanu, South East Uneme in Estako East local government, Benjamin Ikani, also cried out over the sacking of six communities in his domain by flood.

The Monarch said more than 1,700 persons from the six communities are now displaced looking for where to stay.

Ikani listed communities affected by the flood to include Uneme-Ekwuekpele, Uneme-Ogwoyo, Uneme-Ukpeku, Uneme-Ogbethaya, Uneme-Yeluwa and Uneme-Unubu.

He said he relocated some widows, old women and children to Uzanu community to enable the children go to school.

He said the displaced persons had been moved to higher ground at Uneme-Yeluwa waiting for interventions from the state.

Ikani said he has reported the matter to the relevant authorities but was yet to get any help.

He expressed worry over stranded pregnant women that could no longer get access to ante-natal care.

“The flood started last week. You can see the women and children in my palace. Nobody died in the flood but my people need help.

“The most pathetic situation is the pregnant women because of lack of health care, food stuff, medicine. The people can no longer harvest their crops.

“I brought 18 persons because all of them have left their villages to stay at Uneme-Yeluwa.”

http://www.metronaija.ng/flood-sacks-35-edo-communities-renders-30000-homeless/

2 Likes

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 15, 2018
Na wah o, wey December don enter finish..

where is NEMA?

2 Likes

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 7:59pm On Sep 15, 2018
My village cry

1 Like

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by KendrickAyomide: 7:59pm On Sep 15, 2018
undecided
Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by NwaNimo1(m): 7:59pm On Sep 15, 2018
Shitthole country....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Debroslink: 7:59pm On Sep 15, 2018
The flood is caused by the release of water from major dams in the country. This happens once every 2 or 3 years. Rivers Niger, Benue, Ogun, Kaduna are the major ones, and communities in such areas are worst hit.

The Government should have informed the people about the release of water from such dams instead of blaming the rain.

In Lagos, areas like Magodo, Isheri, Owode, Ajegunle, Alapere, Kara are currently flooded at the moment.

5 Likes

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Badonasty(m): 7:59pm On Sep 15, 2018
360metrosports:
No fewer than 35 communities in Etsako East and Etsako Central Local Government Areas of Edo have been sacked by flood, occasioned by unending rains and overflow of the River Niger.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) report that the flood which displaced over 30,000 people, also damaged hundreds of hectares of farmland across the two council areas.

NAN reports that mostly affected by the flood are communities such as Udaba, Anegbette, Usomegbe, Uduchiz among others, all in Etsako Central Local Government.

Similarly, the flood also sacked the entire six Uneme clans in South East Uneme, Okpekpe, among others, in Etsako East Council area.

The Etsako East council boss, Mr Aremiyau Momoh and his counterpart in Etsako Central, Mr John Akhigbe, said the disaster had gone beyond the purview of the council areas.

They called for urgent intervention from both the State and the Federal Governments.

The duo said camps for the Internally Displaced Persons had been placed in strategic locations across the council areas.

Akhigbe said aside the Resettlement Camp built aftermath of a similar disaster in 2012; about five other camps are being prepared for the victims.

Similarly, Momoh said six camps had been opened in Etsako East for the same purpose.

“We have tried our best as far as the councils are concerned, we are hoping and appealing to the Federal Government to urgently intervene on this matter,” he said.

In his remarks, the clan Head of Uzanu, South East Uneme in Estako East local government, Benjamin Ikani, also cried out over the sacking of six communities in his domain by flood.

The Monarch said more than 1,700 persons from the six communities are now displaced looking for where to stay.

Ikani listed communities affected by the flood to include Uneme-Ekwuekpele, Uneme-Ogwoyo, Uneme-Ukpeku, Uneme-Ogbethaya, Uneme-Yeluwa and Uneme-Unubu.

He said he relocated some widows, old women and children to Uzanu community to enable the children go to school.

He said the displaced persons had been moved to higher ground at Uneme-Yeluwa waiting for interventions from the state.

Ikani said he has reported the matter to the relevant authorities but was yet to get any help.

He expressed worry over stranded pregnant women that could no longer get access to ante-natal care.

“The flood started last week. You can see the women and children in my palace. Nobody died in the flood but my people need help.

“The most pathetic situation is the pregnant women because of lack of health care, food stuff, medicine. The people can no longer harvest their crops.

“I brought 18 persons because all of them have left their villages to stay at Uneme-Yeluwa.”

http://www.metronaija.ng/flood-sacks-35-edo-communities-renders-30000-homeless/

Eyah
Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by shamaki1(m): 8:00pm On Sep 15, 2018
Too bad

1 Like

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by apcmustwin(f): 8:02pm On Sep 15, 2018
NwaNimo1:
Shitthole country....
mumu natural disaster such as flood happens even in the most developed countries.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Itulah(m): 8:02pm On Sep 15, 2018
My formal home state, back here in Germany na we dey find flood... cool

1 Like

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by BruncleZuma: 8:02pm On Sep 15, 2018
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by thatigboman: 8:03pm On Sep 15, 2018
Is there no solution to this annual problem.
What exactly is buhari doing in govt house, let me ask.

6 Likes

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by abumeinben(m): 8:03pm On Sep 15, 2018
Owiedo

Disaster or opportunity...which ever.

A seasonal dam could be built to check overflows. We can't keep having this.

2 Likes

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by SanusiGworo: 8:04pm On Sep 15, 2018
I feel sorry for those affected but thank God it didn't affect Esan, it affected Oshiomhole and his people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Rubbiish(m): 8:06pm On Sep 15, 2018
What dey happen??
Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Firefire(m): 8:08pm On Sep 15, 2018
It is well.
Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by otunde527: 8:09pm On Sep 15, 2018
Can this be as a result of climate change

1 Like

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Legolast: 8:16pm On Sep 15, 2018
If you see animals walking in twos, brethren follow them, they might be heading to an ARK.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by CAPSLOCKED: 8:25pm On Sep 15, 2018
Nitah1:
God take control.
SanusiGworo:
I feel sorry for those affected but thank God it didn't affect Esan, it affected Oshiomhole and his people.

THIS YEAR'S FLOOD SEASON PROVES BEYOND ALL DOUBT THAT NOTHING FAILS LIKE PRAYERS.

THAT IT DIDN'T AFFECT YOUR ESAN TODAY DOESN'T MEAN IT CANNOT AFFECT ESAN TOMORROW. PRAYERS AND THANKS CANNOT PREVENT THAT.

2 Likes

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Nitah1: 8:28pm On Sep 15, 2018
God take control.
Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Nitah1: 8:31pm On Sep 15, 2018
NwaNimo1:
Shitthole country....
And where ranting from,from Mars?
Lazy youth.

2 Likes

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Whobedatte(m): 8:32pm On Sep 15, 2018
Even nekpenekpe sef

1 Like

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by adesokan382: 8:41pm On Sep 15, 2018
Na wah o, wey December don enter finish.. where is NEMA?

139 Likes

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by MrPresident1: 8:41pm On Sep 15, 2018
My people in Udaba-Ekperi oooo

1 Like

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by klax(m): 8:49pm On Sep 15, 2018
Pls Nigerians let's pray well for God mercy.

The truth is Buhari must vacate Aso Rock because the evil that has befall Nigeria since he became president is unimaginable. Enough is enough of bad news everyday.

Pls Buhari leave Nigeria alone this is no more natural disaster this is a curse. Enough is enough Buhari free Nigeria.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by erico2k2(m): 8:49pm On Sep 15, 2018
apcmustwin:
mumu natural disaster such as flood happens even in the most developed countries.
Nah true but in those countries, the govt takes care of the displaced persons, in this contri 9ja OYO

1 Like

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Ifiegboria(m): 9:01pm On Sep 15, 2018
SanusiGworo:
Obhi-aba! Esan weh khin?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 15, 2018
cool

Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by Dwhyte(m): 9:18pm On Sep 15, 2018
After they've used dirt to block the drainages,...
Hisses
How he come be now??.
Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by brixton: 9:31pm On Sep 15, 2018
Wow I hope my family’s crib isn’t flooded
Re: Flood Sacks 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless by buJu234: 9:48pm On Sep 15, 2018
I want to comment as a Nigerian that cares for my people Nigerians.

Sir president Buhari, plx I beg u in name of God, can you use ur presidential powers to give a decree that RIVER NIGER must be dredged by force.

Any opposition to this must be silence, cos this is now a national issue, no more politics

if River Niger is dredged...

(1) All these flooding that's killing people and destroying properties will reduced or eliminated

(2) Goods and services can served other parts of the country, in short time. Not only lagos port!!! Imagine a port at lokoja to serve the North and middle Bert, another in onitsha to serve East. Traffic in Apapa will reduced, our inter state roads will last longer.

(3) there will be less petrol and diesel tankers explosion that will kill tens of people. Cos the petrol ship will just dock in lokoja and onitsha

(4) also northern and middlebert farmers plus the south east industrialists e.g Aba. Can export their products through those ports. And this will lead to more employment and diversification. And increase in GDP.

@ this level lets forget politics, am not a fan of any party, weather PDP or APC.

It's Nigerians first not politicians.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

South African Visa. / Worlds Biggest Snake Killed In Africa (picture) / Container Truck Tumbles In Apapa Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.