Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,115 members, 7,828,975 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? (607 Views)

Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Return Oba Of Lagos’ Staff Of Office Or Face The Consequences, Ruling House / Oba Of Lagos Palace Set On Fire, His Staff Of Office Stolen (Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? by OmonoWrites: 2:05pm On Sep 16, 2018
Domestic staff like drivers, house-helps, cooks and nannies are hired every day around Africa, mostly by middle-class Africans, who are financially comfortable to some extent and can afford to keep one or two domestic staff in their residences, to help out with some basic chores.

Now, the concept of modern-day slavery is no longer hidden, almost everyone knows the meaning, and also know when it is apparent that those who work for them, are nothing more than modern day slaves.

Unlike the days when black slavery was rampant in the West, these days, there are no visible shackles on the legs and hands of victims, replacing those heavy metallic bonds, are invisible restraints, limiting freedom for most of these domestic staff.

It is quite easy to identify these domestic staff, due to their overall demeanour, and even dressing. They look haggard most of the time, without a life of their own, on the contrary, those they work for, always look put together, neat and well-fed.

Take, for example, a young lady who acts as a nanny to young children of her master/mistress, has no tie for herself, because she alone caters for four children, with absolutely no help from her boss(es). Instead, she is restricted to work, all day, all week, all month, and all year, just because she is being paid peanuts!

Some of these children, grow up to see their mum and dad bossing young men and ladies around and start doing the same once they come of age!

Same applies to other domestic staff, whose bosses believe they own them and they have no right to a life of their own or some time off, just because they receive a salary (which most of the time, cannot even cater to all their needs)!

If you own a domestic staff in your home, how do you honestly treat him/her/them?

This is a question that needs honest answers, in terms of welfare and enforcement of human rights.

Pope Francis, once commented on modern slavery, saying;

Unfortunately, what is thrown away is not only food and dispensable objects but often human beings themselves, who are discarded as 'unnecessary'.

This is so true in the way many people treat their domestic staff while complaining that politicians and government being heartless. The modern-day 'slave-owners' forget that they are also wearing the same shoes as the government in the lives of those they employ while having absolutely no respect for them!

For more socially conscious daily articles, visit www.lingoafrica.com
Re: How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? by OmonoWrites: 5:42pm On Sep 16, 2018
smiley
Re: How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? by OmonoWrites: 11:41am On Sep 17, 2018
Good day
Re: How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? by OmonoWrites: 5:54pm On Sep 17, 2018
Good evening!
Re: How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? by OmonoWrites: 9:37pm On Sep 17, 2018
wink
Re: How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? by id4sho(m): 6:09pm On Sep 19, 2018
i personally don't have any domestic helper but My family had some which makes me to be better when I have in the near future.
I have set out some rules which are going to be underlisted.
- I will keep adults 40-60yrs of age.
-They will come from home and leave in the evening.
-Their work and boundaries will be set out .
-They will be treated with respect mutually.
-No relatives as domestic Helper.

my 2cents.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? by OmonoWrites: 7:54am On Sep 20, 2018
id4sho:
i personally don't have any domestic helper but My family had some which makes me to be better when I have in the near future.
I have set out some rules which are going to be underlisted.
- I will keep adults 40-60yrs of age.
-They will come from home and leave in the evening.
-Their work and boundaries will be set out .
-They will be treated with respect mutually.
-No relatives as domestic Helper.

my 2cents.

Fantastic plan. Thank you.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Domestic Staff? by OmonoWrites: 6:06pm On Sep 21, 2018
Good evening

(1) (Reply)

Time In Igbo Culture / I Loves My Tribe: The greatest in Africa / Are The Igbos Truly Jews?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.