Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,063 members, 7,835,601 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World (19957 Views)

Lagos Ranked 5th In Africa For Living And Working: Is This The Reality? / Nigerians Ranked 8th Most Hardworking Foreigners In The United State. / Lagos Ranked As The Second Cheapest City In The World For Expatriates (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 17, 2018
tstx:
Lagos has been ranked 42nd most expensive city to live in the world and 8th in Africa in a 2018 global cost of living survey by mercer.

The Survey carried out by Mercer, the world’s largest human resource consulting firm, found that African, Asian, and European cities dominated the 2017 list of most expensive locations for working abroad.

According to the survey, the capital city of Angola, Luanda, is the mist expensive city to live in Africa and sixth in the world.

The survey attributed cost of goods and security as factors that determined the cost of living in Luanda.

African cities that make up the top 5 include:

Luanda, Angola (most expensive city in Africa, 6th in the world)

N’djamena, Chad' (2nd most expensive city in Africa, 8th in the world)

Libreville, Gabon (3rd in Africa, 18th in the world). Brazzaville, Republic Of Congo (4th in Africa, 19th in the world)

Victoria, Seychelles (5th in Africa, 21st in the world)

The least expensive African cities include Tunis,
Tunisia, in the 208th position, Blantyre, Malawi (204), Banjul, Gambia (206).

https://listwand.com/2018/09/top-10-most-expensive-cities-in-africa-2018-mercer/

A useless slum where people pay hundred of thousands yearly in rent just to stay in a swampy slum
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by seborrhic: 4:51pm On Sep 17, 2018
good4all40:
I don't think this stats is accurate, Angola is perfect for the number 1 spot that city is crazily expensive , but as for Chad l am not sure of that. Abuja is only Expensive in terms of accomodation, food, transport etc are averagely priced in Abuja. But l don't think Lagos or any Nigerian city should be on the list, if you have traveled to Abidjan and some other capital cities in Africa, you will know Lagos is not expensive. A single room self con in a ghetto area of Abidjan can go high as 15 to 18k Naira per month, calculate that in 12 months then you will appreciate the price you pay to your Landlord in areas like Iya Ipaja, Abesan, Idimu, infact Alimosho in general and some not too expensive areas in Lagos.
Some of u people don't understand these simple statistics.
Expensive relative to the per capital income.
Average same home in an European city maybe up to N200k/month but its still not tagged expensive because its affordable for residents of liars that city.
It may be about 30-40% of their monthly income.
Same maybe of the Abidjan you quoted.
But in Nigeria,rent of 20k maybe up to 60% of the average income.

2 Likes

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by zolajpower: 5:02pm On Sep 17, 2018
gen2briz:
Saraki is coming to make it lesser city to live...
The saraki we know.
The one that has orignal NYSC discharged certificate
SAI Bukola
grin grin grin.......are you trying to let oshiomole lose his sleep finally ? He wont like to see your post ooo
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Mizwisdom(f): 5:05pm On Sep 17, 2018
Lagos? It shouldn't be there at all if Abuja and Abidjan are missing.
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by ahnie: 5:21pm On Sep 17, 2018
Hardeybohwarley:
Ahnie, hi been a while I've been following your diary. Love it and it's cool.
So many too say but can't remember. Hopefully Zino is adapting to the new S*****l can't believe she is just in KG1, very funny grin grin grin grin
And you're already taking her *** ********. Anyway love and peace to you and yours
Honoured I'm receiving your compliments sire!she just started school today.i'm more than pretty convinced she's gonna top her class.
Concerning the *** education I had to bruv
cos I don't want some peadophile to come near my child.one has to prepare them kids against such.

Honoured I'm receiving your mention sire...adios.
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by SagirmohH: 5:26pm On Sep 17, 2018
fortunechy:
who ever did rating must be a Yoruba man... what happened to Abuja

Abuja is not as expensive as Lagos trust me.
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Hardeybohwarley(m): 5:36pm On Sep 17, 2018
ahnie:

Honoured I'm receiving your compliments sire!she just started school today.i'm more than pretty convinced she's gonna top her class.
Concerning the *** education I had to bruv
cos I don't want some peadophile to come near my child.one has to prepare them kids against such.

Honoured I'm receiving your mention sire...adios.
Honoured being your diary reader also, about Zino she must ooo. Have a nice day and don't forget to always update us. Adios
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Pentools(m): 5:54pm On Sep 17, 2018
maxiuc:
How please can they explain

Here in Abuja bills have killed me

I tire for the ranking ooo, even Lagos pple Dey come Abuja expensiveness anytime dem touch down. My friend wey relocate from lag do run back.

1 Like

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by grandstar(m): 5:57pm On Sep 17, 2018
The list is based on cost of living for expatraites so is not a good gauge.

For instance, an American expatriate will reside in a 3 bedroom flat in Ikoyi that may cost $60000 a year.

For a Naija guy, 1,200,000 3 bedroom flat in Ikeja will do.
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by VictorEkwere: 6:18pm On Sep 17, 2018
Angelb4:
Not true. I can't be staying in a room and palour in Magodo for 1.6m and you say another place is more expensive. Lagos should be number 1.
U are right dear i disagree with the rating too. A room and pallor just like a corridor space 500k in obalende lagos must be number one
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by dacitola199: 6:47pm On Sep 17, 2018
Come To portharcourt you will know lagos is just overrated
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Gamesmart: 7:16pm On Sep 17, 2018
hisexcellency34:
The work done by Ambode is not commensurate with the huge revenue the state is generating. Look at the poor state of roads

What huge revenue?

And what do you think the "huge revenue" should have gotten/be spent on that it has not been?
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by MrGerald(m): 7:50pm On Sep 17, 2018
Angelb4:
Not true. I can't be staying in a room and palour in Magodo for 1.6m and you say another place is more expensive. Lagos should be number 1.
Abuja and Accra is more expensive than Lagos in that regard

1 Like

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Gerrard59(m): 8:59pm On Sep 17, 2018
The thread is an example of people not reading methodologies before commenting. Mercer does not consider locals in their surveys, rather they target expatriates. Yes, accommodation is expensive in Abuja, but when juxtaposed against other factors, Lagos will be expensive than Abuja. At least, you have good roads in the nation's capital as opposed to the commercial centre.

2 Likes

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Acidosis(m): 10:48pm On Sep 17, 2018
Angelb4:

Which of the Magodo o oga? 1.6m ke?

1 Like

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Ugosample(m): 11:46pm On Sep 17, 2018
PrecisionFx:

A useless slum where people pay hundred of thousands yearly in rent just to stay in a swampy slum

undecided undecided

which kind slum

Well Lagos developed haphazardly but the city is still better than most cities in Nigeria opportunity wise.....

Just that the govt did not plan well.

1 Like

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Ugosample(m): 11:47pm On Sep 17, 2018
MrGerald:
Abuja and Accra is more expensive than Lagos in that regard

Accra is a VERY EXPENSIVE city

I don't understand what goes on there

2 Likes

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Nobody: 1:10am On Sep 18, 2018
Ugosample:

undecided undecided

which kind slum

Well Lagos developed haphazardly but the city is still better than most cities in Nigeria opportunity wise.....

Just that the govt did not plan well.

It is false to assume that lagos offers much opportunity ""wealth wise"" than other nigerian city. U are yet to consider the competition in lagos. Whatever business u want to start, 6000 people in lagos are already doing it, Same goes with employment.

Most of lagos na slum

1 Like

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by drizzle25(m): 3:26am On Sep 18, 2018
Lagos is more expensive.
Accomodation is the only expensive item in Abuja and even at that it depends on where you want to live.

Services ( are relatively affordable) in Wuse 2 , Maitama,the supposedly equivalents of V.I and lekki in Lagos.

For instance barbershops in wuse 2 and maitama don't charge more than #2,000 per haircut. Meanwhile a similar outfit in V.I will cost you at least twice that rate.

Look @ transport.
Berger to Lagos island ( Oke Arin Market/ Ebute ero) will cost you #250 by bus. A distance of less than 20km

Suleja to Berger bus stop will cost you #250. by bus. A distance of About 40km.

Note both scenarios involve using expressways. so the argument of traffic gridlock holds no sway.

I give it to the consulting firm.

Abuja is overhyped. Lagos is way more expensive than Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by fortunechy(m): 10:03am On Sep 18, 2018
NobodyKnows:
yoruba be giving some people sleepless night. Chai
it depends on the kind of sleepless night u're talking about...... What's it that they have that worth sleepless night yeye dey smell... mcheeeet
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Angelb4: 11:05am On Sep 18, 2018
Newboss:
If this is true, then you should be very ashamed of yourself for being wasteful. angry

Oga, my family are not in Nigeria, and my stay here is temporal. You that have been 'useful', how many houses have you built?
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by Mizwisdom(f): 12:46pm On Sep 18, 2018
Angelb4:

Oga, my family are not in Nigeria, and my stay here is temporal. You that have been 'useful', how many houses have you built?

No wonder you were taken advantage of. The figure you quoted is exorbitant except of course it's what suites your taste but you can get a very good one for half the price or much lower.

1 Like

Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by tstx(m): 6:58pm On Sep 26, 2018
cheesy
Re: Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World by tstx(m): 7:22pm On Oct 01, 2018
cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote Truck Causes Accident On Kara Bridge, Lagos (Photos) / Fire Outbreak At Lagos Airport / FG Has Begun Construction To Expand The Enugu 9th Mile-benue Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.