Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! (10760 Views)

Keshi To Drag NFF To FIFA Court / FG Responds To FIFA Ban By Stopping N253 Million NFF Monthly Pay! / Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by buffox: 4:06pm On Jul 05, 2010
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/806158/ce/uk/?cc=5739&ver=global

[size=13pt]Nigerian government rescinds ban[/size]
July 5, 2010

By Socernet staff

The Nigerian government has rescinded its ban of the national football team.

More to follow
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
please say it ain't so ! undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Jul 05, 2010
[size=13pt]FIFA says Nigeria not backing down from team ban[/size]
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iuPwPvsN1BPt4HbZfJZnkFTo0MGgD9GOTO300
(AP) – 1 hour ago

JOHANNESBURG — FIFA says the Nigerian government still seems determined to ban its national team from playing, just hours before a deadline to withdraw the penalty or face stronger sanctions from soccer's governing body.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke says he has no information from Nigeria that President Goodluck Jonathan is changing his mind.

FIFA plans to suspend Nigeria from world soccer later Monday if the government does not withdraw its own ban. The reason is FIFA rules forbid governments from interfering in national soccer programs.

President Jonathan said last Wednesday the Super Eagles team should not play for two years in order to restructure Nigerian soccer after its World Cup first-round exit.

A FIFA suspension would go further — banning Nigerian club teams, referees and officials from taking part in international soccer.

PHEW!!!
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by desgiezd(m): 4:13pm On Jul 05, 2010
Now that the three rogues have been impeached, I was expecting this reversal by Jonathan but fresh elections must be held while the government must ensure that credible people come on board. Samson Siasia must also be appointed as Eagles coach with a mandate to overhaul the national team with young, committed and energetic players.

Its really a new dawn!
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Kobojunkie: 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2010
So this could not have been accomplished without opening up our FURO/airing our dirty laundry for the world to see WHILE the world cup is going on?
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Beaf: 4:26pm On Jul 05, 2010
FIFA said this morning that they will continue to deal with that goat, Lulu even after Aug 28. They must have dropped that stupid idea by now if Nigeria is going to rescind the ban.
Nigeria must restructure our football as we like without interference from those corrupt, sit tight thugs at FIFA.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by ricky01: 4:32pm On Jul 05, 2010
source??
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by proudly9ja(m): 4:34pm On Jul 05, 2010
I expect Jonathan to change his mind. There's too much pressure world wide on this issue. I however really hope FIFA will let us cleanse our system.

However, from the report, there's been no official statement yet and its based only on 'sources'.

Let's see who blinks first,
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by snowdrops(m): 4:35pm On Jul 05, 2010
Why is this headline news when it is yet to be authenticated.

Or is this wishful thinking by the moderators?
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Kx: 4:36pm On Jul 05, 2010
Gosh.
For a moment we were celebrating the ban cautiously.
Unbanning means the decision to ban was hasty.

Govt should learn to build character with decision making.
This is good news but bad news about our government.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by snowdrops(m): 4:37pm On Jul 05, 2010
Sorry, just saw news all over google.

So Jonathan has been made to swallow the bitter pill of pride.

What humiliation
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by debosky(m): 4:38pm On Jul 05, 2010
Ban them - at least no money will be wasted on jamborees to FIFA competitions for two years. tongue
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 05, 2010
What is the big deal about this. .  .i lost interest in those boys long time ago
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by 12large: 4:41pm On Jul 05, 2010
all we are saying no more lagerback my nigeria dream formation now

enyeama,

odiah,        apam,     adeleye,   taiwo/echjile

lukman,        mikel,

okoro,               ibrahim                      obinna

mrtins/chrisantus/emmanuel
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by MeGaStReEt: 4:43pm On Jul 05, 2010
Why did he unban them always?  the super pigoens have nothing to offer, Ban them again plsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

meanwhile, I respect the decision of Mr. President
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by proudly9ja(m): 4:45pm On Jul 05, 2010
If Jonathan unbans them, I dont think there's any shame in it. It only shows he has listening ears. The effect of the ban for a few days itself is enormous. Who would have thought Lulu and his merry men could be sacked?

However, Ojooba is still on that board and needs to be sacked too, infact the whole board should just step down.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by sleeksolo: 4:49pm On Jul 05, 2010
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 05, 2010
[size=18pt]What?[/size]
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by tkb417(m): 4:54pm On Jul 05, 2010
all talk no action President

he just made himself a laffing object in the International scene

let him go and ban House of Rep too

shege
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by valpraiso: 4:55pm On Jul 05, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked :oSuper Eagle or Super Turkey! I think they should be banned for 6yrs so that a new generation of serious minded people can replace these  present lazy legs.  
Jonathan couldnt have changed his mind just b'cos of FIFA threat.  If he truly did then he's got a lot of things to change his mind on ----  i mean national issues. Bad characteristic of a bad leader.   shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by oisehumen(m): 4:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
proudly9ja:

If Jonathan unbans them, I dont think there's any shame in it. It only shows he has listening ears. The effect of the ban for a few days itself is enormous. Who would have thought Lulu and his merry men could be sacked?

However, Ojooba is still on that board and needs to be sacked too, infact the whole board should just step down.

Supported.

tkb417:

all talk no action President

he just made himself a laffing object in the International scene

let him go and ban House of Rep too

shege

Am sure you have not been following the events. At least some of the main rogues in the class house are out.
That was the game plan.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by jiniux(m): 5:00pm On Jul 05, 2010
If you seek a source to this story, here u go.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/07/05/2010872/nigeria-president-goodluck-jonathan-rescinds-two-year-super

I hope we reconstitute a better management body for our football.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 05, 2010
proudly9ja:

What are you talking about? Of course it's shameful! It shows lack of consistency.

Isn't it normal for him to have considered the downsides before embarking on a ban! So now he's running for the almighty FIFA!

It's this fire birgade approach that they do in this country that keeps irritating me.

A man should ba able to say someting and stick to it for God sakes, or better yet, keep his mouth shut!  angry  angry  angry
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by delegiwa(m): 5:03pm On Jul 05, 2010
I laugh when people shout and shout about this ban.  The whole issue is on that rogue Lulu and his boys and you can see that they are out.  Jonathan didn't really have any issue with the player but with the NFF and its mode of administration especially when it comes to money.  He wanted to clean the house but Lulu kept bringing up the issue of government intervention and how Fifa will not be happy.  Can u imagine?  I give u money and when I ask u to account for it, u say govt involvement.  Rubbish.

My happiness is that Lulu is out and whoever will go in there is already aware that our eyes are on him/her.

I hail Mr President for this.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by dplordx(m): 5:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
The President did the reasonable thing rescinding the Ban. Theres too much at hand right now, and football shouldnt be his focus, or it will be a complete sign of misplaced priorities.
And im glad Lulu and his cotories got kicked down the curb. But the entire NFF as a package needs a tough reshuffling.
The footballers need to go: Kanu, Yobo, Yak, all those lazy and average footballers who play as if victory and the 2010 fifa trophy is their natural and god given right.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 05, 2010
Piece of shit,Dis Jonathan guy gat no balls
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by aieromon(m): 5:09pm On Jul 05, 2010
Adamu is 95% of the problem - flush him out,ban or no ban.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by GOZILLA(m): 5:10pm On Jul 05, 2010
The ban was a delibrate ploy to get Lulu out, now is the time to rebuild! smiley
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Iceugwa(m): 5:11pm On Jul 05, 2010
No he shouldn't have. I believe the ban was for our good
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by proudly9ja(m): 5:13pm On Jul 05, 2010
Ujujoan:

What are you talking about? Of course it's shameful! It shows lack of consistency.

Isn't it normal for him to have considered the downsides before embarking on a ban! So now he's running for the almighty FIFA!

It's this fire birgade approach that they do in this country that keeps irritating me.

A man should ba able to say someting and stick to it for God sakes, or better yet, keep his mouth shut!  angry  angry  angry
Banning the national team for two years has its consequences considering that FIFA may add an additional two or more years.
If I may play Jonathan's advocate here, I totally think his strategy paid off. Two days after banning the teams, NFF suddenly sacked Lulu and his boys. Could this have been achieved without threatening a ban, I do not think so.

This is the same line that was towed by the Yaradua government when the Local Organising committee for the FIFA U17 tournament came with an overbloated budget. The moment Yaradua threatened not to host the tournament, the budget came down by as much as 20 billion naira, all in less than 1 week!

The aim has been achieved but let's not celebrate yet. There is still a lot to be done.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Folanre(m): 5:13pm On Jul 05, 2010
The full story as revealed by sahara reporters

Written by SaharaReporters, New York
Monday, 05 July 2010 10:47
 Only hours ahead of the FIFA threat to send Nigeria to the soccer freezer, President Goodluck Jonathan today rescinded his widely-criticized decision to suspend Nigeria from international soccer for two years on account of the poor performance of the national team at the 21010 World Cup. The World Cup was seen as the trigger for the decision, but Saharareporters investigations have revealed that the decision was actually aimed at breaking the back of the Amos Adamu-led mafia at the Nigeria Football Federation.  Mr. Adamu is the super-rich and notably corrupt FIFA executive who runs Nigerian football. His wide connections at the highest levels in FIFA and in the ruling elite in Nigeria has seen him holding football administration to ransom.

Mr. Adamu was recalled from South Africa a few days ago by aides to Mr. Jonathan to prevent him from using his connections at FIFA to ban Nigeria after the ill-advised decision was taken to withdraw Nigeria from all FIFA competitions for two years. FIFA then gave the Nigerian authorities 48 hours to withdraw the letter.

Earlier today, Jonathan met with Adamu and decided to change his stance.  Adamu and Jonathan became close when Jonathan superintended over the Under-20 soccer competition while he was VP. The decision, which was reportedly composed and sponsored by the governor of Rivers State, Rotimi Amaechi, was rescinded for Nigeria so as to avoid FIFA from banning it from competitions that would have seen Nigeria unable to participate in any soccer competitions until 2018!

Saharareporters sources said with the "peaceful resolution" of the standoff today,  Jonathan's people would be allowed to participate and possibly take over the NFF when fresh elections are held in August 2010, a position that was earlier made impossible by Adamu cronies at the NFF who had  already decided on those who could participate in the NFF elections. An extra-ordinary convening of the  NFF congress might be underway to open the way for new members to contest for NFF positions.

For Adamu, it is great reprieve as he gets to retain his position on the FIFA and CAF boards, which would have been overturned had Nigeria been banned by FIFA.

The game of soccer indirectly employs over 1.5 million Nigerians and has become an avenue for talented Nigerians to make it in life even when Nigeria's notorious political elite refuse to provide formal employment for its teeming youth population.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by tempest01(m): 5:14pm On Jul 05, 2010
Long Overdue. . .As a parent will u withdraw ur child from school because he's performing below par?? Seriously i don't know what his advisers are being paid 2 do!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Conte's Uncertain As Chelsea Is In A Confused State / World Athletics Championship: Ese Brume Wins Nigeria's First Medal / Sure Odds (free)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.