Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Igbos In Bini - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos In Bini (9192 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos In Bini by 006(m): 11:50pm On Jul 05, 2010
Folks, there’s a question that have been lingering on in my mind.

Could it be that the Igbos once populated some part of what is now Benin City?

With the stories of Ezechima and Akalaka (both claimed to be Princes of Bini and with complete Igbo names) migrating from Bini eastward, I wonder how they found themselves in the Oba circle. Ezechima founded Onitsha while Akalaka founded Ekpeye and Ogba. Both left Bini because of their disloyalty to Oba Awuarre.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 12:49am On Jul 06, 2010
006:

Folks, there’s a question that have been lingering on in my mind.

Could it be that the Igbos once populated some part of what is now Benin City?

With the stories of Ezechima and Akalaka (both claimed to be Princes of Bini and with complete Igbo names) migrating from Bini eastward, I wonder how they found themselves in the Oba circle. Ezechima founded Onitsha while Akalaka founded Ekpeye and Ogba. Both left Bini because of their disloyalty to Oba Awuarre.

relying on traditional tales.ekpeyes are the twin of igbo and have existed for so long a time south of igbo.akalaka founded ogba and was probably from delta igbo(aboh or ukwuani).the ekpeyes were influenced by these akalakans.ezechima seems rather to have started his migration from ado(yoruba) and later got some idu(bini) followers.nri also claim ezechima to have been a great medicine man that traveled to ado and lost his way back to nri.everything seem mixed up but the truth is that igbos,bini and yorubas once spoke the same language and are mixed up in different locations.the mordern southern igbo might be unbelievably connected with ekpeye.
Re: Igbos In Bini by 006(m): 1:10am On Jul 06, 2010
Ekpeye is not that old, it's younger than Bini talkless of Nri.

Ekpeye was the first Son of Akalaka who came from Benin at a time there was war between one Asije and Oba of Benin. The war made the people of Benin scattered around the present Rivers State in Nigeria. Akalaka left Benin with his wife and had his first settlement at Aboh where he had his second wife. He later sailed from Aboh to settle at Obigwe. It was there that his first wife conceived and his first Son named “AKPA-OFIA” was born, meaning (Hunting Bag).

The second wife later conceived and had a Son whom he called OGBA (meaning that the wife watched his Gate). After some time, the Senior wife died, so he had himself, Ogba’s Mother, and the two Sons, i.e AKPA-OFIA (EKPEYE) and OGBA. At that time, it was Ogba’s Mother that was caring for the whole family. At a course of time, Akalaka being a hunter, went out for a hunting game and could not return back home. The family kept on watching for the day and the time the father would come home but  the family’s expectation failed after the period of one year.

At last, AKPA-OFIA (EKPEYE) suggested that since it had taken a year of not seeing their father, they assumed that the man had died, that he would be the Head of the Family. The Mother to Ogba, being selfish said that it would be ridiculous to see that an Orphan Son should be the Head over Her Son and Herself, and suggested that her son should be the Head of the Family.

http://www.thetimesoforashiregion.com/ORAREAL/readmore4.htm
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 5:34pm On Jul 06, 2010
Ekpeye was the first Son of Akalaka who came from Benin at a time there was war between one Asije and Oba of Benin. The war made the people of Benin scattered around the present Rivers State in Nigeria. Akalaka left Benin with his wife and had his first settlement at Aboh where he had his second wife. He later sailed from Aboh to settle at Obigwe. It was there that his first wife conceived and his first Son named “AKPA-OFIA” was born, meaning (Hunting Bag).

The second wife later conceived and had a Son whom he called OGBA (meaning that the wife watched his Gate). After some time, the Senior wife died, so he had himself, Ogba’s Mother, and the two Sons, i.e AKPA-OFIA (EKPEYE) and OGBA. At that time, it was Ogba’s Mother that was caring for the whole family. At a course of time, Akalaka being a hunter, went out for a hunting game and could not return back home. The family kept on watching for the day and the time the father would come home but the family’s expectation failed after the period of one year.

At last, AKPA-OFIA (EKPEYE) suggested that since it had taken a year of not seeing their father, they assumed that the man had died, that he would be the Head of the Family. The Mother to Ogba, being selfish said that it would be ridiculous to see that an Orphan Son should be the Head over Her Son and Herself, and suggested that her son should be the Head of the Family.

this seems to be the doctored ogba story.akalaka is believed by ekpeyes to have come from aboh.i am extremely close to an elder statesman from ekpeye and his stories seem more believable.many southern igbo groups are mixture of ekpeye,delta igbo,idu and northern igbo.lies were manufactured recently.ikwerre for example is just a mix of ekpeye and northern igbo people.i will dig the internet for more info on ekpeye.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 5:42pm On Jul 06, 2010
The Ekpeye have long lived in the land bounded by River Orashi in the West and River Sombreiro in the East; starting out at the northern end from about 3000 BC. Archaeological work showed a steady and very consistent southward movement, resulting in about AD 1000 in a large settlement mainly at the central geographically elevated area now called Akoh (Dry Land) and Egi. The rise and Expansion of the Benin Kingdom in the following centuries, forced Igbo-speaking but Benin culture-bearing populations down the Niger river into then Ekpeyeland. A socio-political crisis resulted.[citation needed]
A minority of the Ekpeye, who sided with the Benin cultured Igbo immigrants, moved away up north and founded what is now Ogba land, whose language plainly bears the inprints of the Ekpeye and Igbo languages. The commonest historical tale in Ogba and Ekpeye today, is that both are "the sons of one father born of different mothers".
Re: Igbos In Bini by anitabest(f): 11:01am On Jul 07, 2010
Igbo are wiser than you think ,we are the owner of Nigeria including you. hahahahahaha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Bini by 006(m): 1:01pm On Jul 07, 2010
@ Abagworo

Source, I hope it's not wiki else I'll laugh the hell out of you.

On a serious note, Ekpeye cannot be that old and still have a population of about 150,000. It's relatively young, much younger than Bini.

A na-api umunwoke ha amu?

Moreover, your posts are all contradictory.
Re: Igbos In Bini by GEW: 4:46pm On Jul 07, 2010
nigerians and re-writing history? chei
Re: Igbos In Bini by abadaba(m): 5:29pm On Jul 07, 2010
GEW:

nigerians and re-writing history? chei
Don't be silly. Instead of an idiot like you to learn from intellectuals here, you are busy diplaying stupidity. Sucker, if you feel they are rewriting history here, you should just post a rebuttal.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 12:23am On Jul 08, 2010
006:

@ Abagworo

Source, I hope it's not wiki else I'll laugh the hell out of you.

On a serious note, Ekpeye cannot be that old and still have a population of about 150,000. It's relatively young, much younger than Bini.

A na-api umunwoke ha amu?

Moreover, your posts are all contradictory.

http://www.umuogbausa.org/History.htm

According to Professor Alagoa, the Ogbakiri Ikwerre also relate their founding ancestor, Ekenta, to the Benin tradition. See Alagoa, E. J. (1990) ed. Land and People of Nigeria: Rivers State).

However, archaeological evidence suggests that the present Ali-Ogba was occupied by people long before the time of the Legendary migration of the ancestral father, Akalaka, from Benin
. For example, the area around Obrikom (Egbekwu and Obie) perhaps was inhabited first about 3015 B.C.; Ikiri about 2015 B.C.; and Omoku about 2815 B.C. (Ellah, 1995) According to Ellah, “by 15 B.C. and 235 A.D. these settlements had become stable. The inhabitants were killing large animals and fish , yam was a staple food”. Also, ironworks was known in the area (most probably at Obrikom) about 235 A.D. (Ellah, 1995). It is instructive to know that the Ancestors of present day Ali-Ogba communities and the constituent extended family systems (obodos) migrated to Ali-Ogba at different times through four main migratory routes: South-northerly; North- southerly; East- westerly and West-easterly during the period 3015 B.C. to circa 1600 A.D. (Ellah, 1995). Available accounts of the origins of Ali-Ogba communities and their unique cultural characteristics and affinity lend credence to their common ancestry or ‘brotherhood’.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 12:40am On Jul 08, 2010
Ekpeye cannot be that old and still have a population of about 150,000

you might not believe it but it is very highly possible that igbo swallowed much of ekpeye(who actually are igbos brother).if you are quite close to an ekpeye try to learn from him and you would hear that many southern igbo groups are purely mix of ekpeye.ohafia people were possibly from ekpeye.ekpeye is a corruption of ekpa afia(bush bag).i will dig the net for some research works and you will be surprised.eg what is the origin of owerri people?do you believe it is nri?
Re: Igbos In Bini by 006(m): 12:49am On Jul 08, 2010
Abagworo:

http://www.umuogbausa.org/History.htm

According to Professor Alagoa, the Ogbakiri Ikwerre also relate their founding ancestor, Ekenta, to the Benin tradition. See  Alagoa, E. J. (1990) ed. Land and People of Nigeria: Rivers State).

However, archaeological evidence suggests that the present Ali-Ogba was occupied by people long before the time of the Legendary migration of the ancestral father, Akalaka, from Benin
. For example, the area around Obrikom (Egbekwu and Obie) perhaps was inhabited first about 3015 B.C.; Ikiri about 2015 B.C.; and Omoku about 2815 B.C. (Ellah, 1995) According to Ellah, “by 15 B.C. and 235 A.D. these settlements had become stable. The inhabitants were killing large animals and fish ,  yam was a staple food”. Also, ironworks was known in the area (most probably at Obrikom) about 235 A.D. (Ellah, 1995). It is instructive to know that the Ancestors of present day Ali-Ogba communities and the constituent extended family systems (obodos) migrated to Ali-Ogba at different times through four main migratory routes: South-northerly; North- southerly; East- westerly and West-easterly during the period 3015 B.C. to circa 1600 A.D. (Ellah, 1995). Available accounts of the origins of Ali-Ogba communities and their unique cultural characteristics and affinity lend credence to their common ancestry or ‘brotherhood’.

The article seems more like a cooked up story to substantiate their claim to independence as he stated: to benefit from the economic resources produced from its land and achieve sustainable development.

This part is a clear falsehood:
For example, the area around Obrikom (Egbekwu and Obie) perhaps was inhabited first about 3015 B.C.; Ikiri about 2015 B.C.; and Omoku about 2815 B.C. (Ellah, 1995) According to Ellah, “by 15 B.C. and 235 A.D. these settlements had become stable.

There’s no Nigerian town from all the archaeological evidence I’d ever seen that dated as far back as 2015 B.C.,  Damn! I’ll like to see where those archaeological records are, it’s impossible.
Moreover, I still maintain my stance that the Ekpeye and Ogba are way too young. Imagine, by 1927, the population of Ogba was a mere 20,292; and by 2002,  157,205. Do you see the jump? Where their male children often castrated before this time?
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 1:04am On Jul 08, 2010
that reference was from a book written by a reputable late ohaneze chieftain francis ellah.it was based on thorough research.do you know that there is a place called ebiriba(same pronounciation as abiriba in abia) in ekpeyeland?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Bini by 006(m): 1:12am On Jul 08, 2010
^^^

What he was is irrelevant. The point is that that was a cooked up story.
No Nigerian archaeological evidence had ever been dated to as far back as 2015 B.C. talk less of 3015 B.C.
If there is, where’s it?  Does he think we’re fools?

I’ll ask you to go back and reread all your post and tell me what you observed.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 1:39am On Jul 08, 2010
006:

^^^

What he was is irrelevant. The point is that that was a cooked up story.
No Nigerian archaeological evidence had ever been dated to as far back as 2015 B.C. talk less of 3015 B.C.
If there is, where’s it?  Does he think we’re fools?

I’ll ask you to go back and reread all your post and tell me what you observed.

going by your logic ikwerre is older than nri.ikwerre has a population of over two million,while nri is still in the thousands.ngwa has over a million people.ezza has over a million people.
Re: Igbos In Bini by ChinenyeN(m): 2:32am On Jul 08, 2010
Abagworo:

eg what is the origin of owerri people?do you believe it is nri?
If I'm not mistaking I think he believes Eri/Nri to be the progenitor of the Igbo.
Re: Igbos In Bini by 006(m): 1:15pm On Jul 08, 2010
Abagworo:

going by your logic ikwerre is older than nri.ikwerre has a population of over two million,while nri is still in the thousands.ngwa has over a million people.ezza has over a million people.

Almost every town in Anambra State is a descendant of Eri including some towns in Delta State and that should give you millions of people already, not to mention other towns outside Anambra and Delta States. Meanwhile, Eri lived from about 948 AD.

Ogba, which was claimed to have existed from about 3015 B.C., could only boast of 150,000 people. Does it add up? Akalaka started both Ekpeye and Ogba and he should be much younger that Eri.
That 3015 B.C. was a clear lie!
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 6:13pm On Jul 08, 2010
006:

[b]Almost every town in Anambra State is a descendant of Eri [/b]including some towns in Delta State and that should give you millions of people already, not to mention other towns outside Anambra and Delta States. Meanwhile, Eri lived from about 948 AD.

Ogba, which was claimed to have existed from about 3015 B.C., could only boast of 150,000 people. Does it add up? Akalaka started both Ekpeye and Ogba and he should be much younger that Eri.
That 3015 B.C. was a clear lie!

akalaka started one new town in ekpeye and the rest in ogba.akalaka and his entourage met people that were there already.some of them moved to found new towns with akalaka who are now collectively known as ogba.ogbas igbo language came from akalaka and the uniqueness is as a result of ekpeye influence.

@bolded.are you sure?i believe the largest town in anambra was founded by ezechimas children.ogbaru,obosi,okija,ihiala,uli are not children of eri.only few nri people came their to mix with the real indigenes.
Re: Igbos In Bini by 006(m): 9:31pm On Jul 08, 2010
Abagworo:

akalaka started one new town in ekpeye and the rest in ogba.akalaka and his entourage met people that were there already.some of them moved to found new towns with akalaka who are now collectively known as ogba.ogbas igbo language came from akalaka and the uniqueness is as a result of ekpeye influence.

@bolded.are you sure?i believe the largest town in anambra was founded by ezechimas children.ogbaru,obosi,okija,ihiala,uli are not children of eri.only few nri people came their to mix with the real indigenes.

Almost every town in Anambra and you listed just 5 towns ogbaru,obosi,okija,ihiala and uli that are not from Eri. So what’s your point?
I really don’t understand what you are trying to argue about.
Anyway, back to the topic.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 9:41pm On Jul 08, 2010
Almost every town in Anambra and you listed just 5 towns

if you had used ''most" or ''many'',it would have made more sense.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 2:55pm On Nov 12, 2010
I'm just trying to retrace origin and relationship of different Igbo groups.Abiriba and Ekoi-Yakur might be the actual origin of Ekpeyes even though the Benin origin is more popular.Going by the existence of Ebiriba as a town in Ekpeye and their supreme God being Obini Ukpabi,the relationship between Abiriba(Cross river Igbo) and Ekpeye needs some study.
Re: Igbos In Bini by AndreUweh(m): 3:01pm On Nov 12, 2010
@Abagworo: Ikwerres are far less than I million. Ngwa is by far bigger than Ikwerres.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 4:36pm On Nov 12, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@Abagworo: Ikwerres are far less than I million. Ngwa is by far bigger than Ikwerres.

If you include those in diaspora Ngwa might be more populous but as it is presently there are more Ikwerres.Apart from PH and Obio/Akpor which houses a lot of strangers Ikwerre and Emohua LG are very populated.The most populous Lgas in Ngwa are Aba and Osisioma which has over 80 percent non-indigenes.
Re: Igbos In Bini by AndreUweh(m): 5:44pm On Nov 12, 2010
Abagworo:

If you include those in diaspora Ngwa might be more populous but as it is presently there are more Ikwerres.Apart from PH and Obio/Akpor which houses a lot of strangers Ikwerre and Emohua LG are very populated.The most populous Lgas in Ngwa are Aba and Osisioma which has over 80 percent non-indigenes.
The only places Ikwerres outnumber non natives is in Emohua and Ikwerre. Visit Rumuokoro and other towns in Obio.Akpor, it is full of mostly Ndigbo from the hinterland.
Believe me, Ikwerre is just half of the size of Ngwa.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 10:18pm On Nov 12, 2010
Andre Uweh:

The only places Ikwerres outnumber non natives is in Emohua and Ikwerre. Visit Rumuokoro and other towns in Obio.Akpor, it is full of mostly Ndigbo from the hinterland.
Believe me, Ikwerre is just half of the size of Ngwa.

Ikwerre LGA is as populated as the entire Isiala Ngwa LGA.Emowhua is close to that of Obi Ngwa and Ugwunagbo.PH and Obio Akpor is more populated(indigene wise) than Aba and Osisioma.Ikwerre is close to one third the population of Rivers State.Ngwas have more LGA's though.

NB.I mean those living in their various villages and not including diasporans.Ngwas are more if you include those living outside their land.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 02, 2012
Dr been

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Bini by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:21pm On Mar 02, 2012
All of you who are here saying Ikwerre is more populated than Nri have to understand there is difference between Agukwu_Nri and Umu_Nri and its decendants!! I suppose when you do your comparisons you mean Agukwu-Nri and not Umu-Nri nine!! 80% of the whole of Anambra originated from IFIKUANIM !
Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 11:33pm On Mar 02, 2012
patriot2:

My great grand father was Chief Agho Obaseki, his grand father was the Obi of Nsukwe.
And the obasekis are one of the greatest bini families today. Actually I think igbos are bini run away who did so because bini rules were very tough.

Edo kingdom of yesterday is now the father of all Igbo peoples?
Re: Igbos In Bini by Nobody: 1:05am On Mar 03, 2012
Dr been

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 1:08am On Mar 03, 2012
patriot2:

i may have exaggerated, But I think every igbo has a bini ancestor.
It is just pure maths.

I guess you are entitled to your opinion. I beg to differ though.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Nobody: 1:30am On Mar 03, 2012
odumchi:

I guess you are entitled to your opinion. I beg to differ though.
Are you igbo ?
Re: Igbos In Bini by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 03, 2012
Wow, are you a menthal cace ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osun State Best Food / Spiritual Usage Of Bitter Kola People Don't Know / Ooni Of Ife To Indigenes: Return Home To Develop Your Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.