Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. (3468 Views)

Will You Still Marry Him Or Her If Your Father Says No? / Her Dad Is Attracted To Her - What Should She Do / So Touching: Little Boy Trying To Wake His Dead Mom. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by nnemdi21: 1:27am On Jul 06, 2010
I'M IN A VERY HORRIFYING SITUATION.
I'M AN IGBO GIRL {ABIA} BUT FOR SOME REASONS I'M ATTRACTED TO YORUBA MEN.
INFACT I COULD GO FOR ANY TRIBE EXCEPT IGBO.
DONT GET ME WRONG, I DO LOVE MY IGBO BROTHERS, BUT I JUST DONT SEE ANYTHING ATTRACTING ME TO THEM.
THE MOMENT A GUY TELLS ME HE IS IGBO, I LOSE INTEREST.
I DO HAVE THIS STEREOTYPICAL REPRESENTATION OF IGBO MEN IN MY HEAD AND IT JUST PUTS ME OFF,

MY FATHER HATES THE "TRIBE YORUBA", HE HAS TOLD ME ON DIFFERENT OCCASIONS NEVER TO BRING HOME A YORUBA MAN.
MY FATHER IS A GOOD MAN, AND HE HAS HIS REASONS; HIS TWO SISTERS WERE MARRIED TO YORUBA MEN AND THEY WERE NOT TREATED RIGHT.
MY COUSIN GOT MARRIED TO SOME YORUBA MAN FROM CANADA 4 YEARS AGO,
AFTER THE WEDDING, HE STAYED WITH HER IN NIGERIA FOR A MONTH, AFTER WHICH HE LEFT FOR CANADA. WELL BOTTOM LINE IS HE NEVER RETURNED TO HIS WIFE, AND UNFORTUNATELY FOR HER, SHE WAS PREGNANT AND NOW HAS A SET OF TWIN {BOYS} BUT NO FATHER.

WHEN my Dad FOUND OUT THAT MY LAST BF OF FOUR YEARS WAS YORUBA, HE TALKED AND TALKED AND TALKED
FRUSTRATION DROVE ME TO BREAKING UP WITH HIM.

AFTER TWO YEARS OF SEARCHING FOR THE PERFECT IGBO GUY, I MET AN AWESOME YORUBA GUY "again" lol
HE IS THE SWEETEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME
HE MAKES ME HAPPY IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE AND "YES" I DO LOVE HIM
RECENTLY HE HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT RINGS,  ASKING ME WHAT TYPE OF RING I like, TAKING ME TO JEWLERY STORES TO LOOK AROUND,  I SUSPECT A PROPOSAL

BUT I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE THE LOVE OF MY FAMILY
AND AT THE SAME TIME I DO LOVE THIS GUY,,,
I CANT SIT AROUND WAITING FOR THE PERFECT IGBO GUY

i need some advise

ps:and please i do love every tribe,
and so does my dad,
but i am just not attracted to igbo men
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by NaijaSisi(f): 1:26pm On Jul 06, 2010
My dear, my suggestion is that you sit your papa down and try and explain how u feel about this yoruba guy. Maybe if he understood where you are coming from and the love you have for this guy, he will learn to accept that you truly do love this guy and want to be with him. I'm sure u know all he wants in the end is for his daughter to be very happy and with his past experiences wit yorubas it is understanding that he may feel the way he does.

But try and make him see that not all yorubas are the same and just because there has previously been issues with them in your family, it doesnt mean they all behave like this.

So bottom line is talk to him and get him to reason wit u and c your side

May God help you my dear smiley
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by LadyDee1(f): 1:45pm On Jul 06, 2010
nnemdi21:

DONT GET ME WRONG, I DO LOVE MY IGBO BROTHERS, BUT I JUST DONT SEE ANYTHING ATTRACTING ME TO THEM.
I DO HAVE THIS STEREOTYPICAL REPRESENTATION OF IGBO MEN IN MY HEAD AND IT JUST PUTS ME OFF,

MY FATHER HATES THE "TRIBE YORUBA", HE HAS TOLD ME ON DIFFERENT OCCASIONS NEVER TO BRING HOME A YORUBA MAN.
MY FATHER IS A GOOD MAN, AND HE HAS HIS REASONS; HIS TWO SISTERS WERE MARRIED TO YORUBA MEN AND THEY WERE NOT TREATED RIGHT.
AFTER THE WEDDING, HE STAYED WITH HER IN NIGERIA FOR A MONTH, AFTER WHICH HE LEFT FOR CANADA. WELL BOTTOM LINE IS HE NEVER RETURNED TO HIS WIFE, AND UNFORTUNATELY FOR HER, SHE WAS PREGNANT AND NOW HAS A SET OF TWIN {BOYS} BUT NO FATHER.

WHEN my Dad FOUND OUT THAT MY LAST BF OF FOUR YEARS WAS YORUBA, HE TALKED AND TALKED AND TALKED

AFTER TWO YEARS OF SEARCHING FOR THE PERFECT IGBO GUY, I MET AN AWESOME YORUBA GUY "again" lol
RECENTLY HE HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT RINGS, ASKING ME WHAT TYPE OF RING I like, TAKING ME TO JEWLERY STORES TO LOOK AROUND, I SUSPECT A PROPOSAL

i need some advise

and so does my dad,

Hmmmm, as an igbo girl also from Abia state recently married to an igbo man,
I reserve my comments, undecided undecided undecided
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Acidosis(m): 2:50pm On Jul 06, 2010
Naija_Sisi:

My dear, my suggestion is that you sit your papa down and try and explain how u feel about this yoruba guy. Maybe if he understood where you are coming from and the love you have for this guy, he will learn to accept that you truly do love this guy and want to be with him. I'm sure u know all he wants in the end is for his daughter to be very happy and with his past experiences wit yorubas it is understanding that he may feel the way he does.

But try and make him see that not all yorubas are the same and just because there has previously been issues with them in your family, it doesnt mean they all behave like this.

So bottom line is talk to him and get him to reason wit u and c your side

May God help you my dear smiley
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by AloyEmeka5: 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2010
nnemdi21:

RECENTLY HE HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT RINGS,  ASKING ME WHAT TYPE OF RING I like, TAKING ME TO JEWLERY STORES TO LOOK AROUND,  I SUSPECT A PROPOSAL

i need some advise

and so does my dad,

Same thing, all of you are tribalists in your house. Your dad hates Yoruba men and you hate Igbo men. This may be the proof I've been looking for that tribalism is genetic. You obviously inherited the hate-spirit from your dad.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by whiteroses(f): 10:43pm On Jul 06, 2010
pray for guidance from God cos your attraction to yoruba men sounds like lust to me, so your dad might be right
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by ifyalways(f): 2:47pm On Jul 07, 2010
. . .Your life,ur decision to make.You wud either pease urself or please ur dad.its up to u.Inform us when u make the big choice/decision undecided
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 07, 2010
Oh no honey, dont even think about it!

A yourba man? shocked

If his blood is not dilited with that of another tribe (preferable Igbo), then I really think you should listen to your father! undecided undecided
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by bawomolo(m): 6:10pm On Jul 07, 2010
Ujujoan:

A yourba man? shocked

If his blood is not dilited with that of another tribe (preferable Igbo), then I really think you should listen to your father! undecided undecided

no yoruba men, no broke men.

your dating pool must be extra skinny grin

i think it's hilarious to watch nigerians generalize each others ethnic group. and these are the so-called "youth" who are just as bigoted as their parents and grandparents.

1 Like

Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by tpiah: 10:21pm On Jul 07, 2010
op sounds like the male version of you know who.

and has only one post btw.

interesting!!
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Sissy3(f): 10:31pm On Jul 07, 2010
at this "over his dead body" level

two options awaits you

obey or disobey

goodluck with any of the above options you choose

if "over his dead body" language wasnt involve a third option would have been hard-work convincing and re-convincing

1 Like

Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by oyinda3(f): 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2010
how old is your father? if he's very old, you are lucky. then you can actually marry a yoruba man over his dead body.
but seriously though, I think you may have some psychological issues u need to take care of.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by OAM4J: 11:01pm On Jul 07, 2010
Ujujoan:

A yourba man?    shocked

If his blood is not dilited with that of another tribe (preferable Igbo), then I really think you should listen to your father!  undecided undecided

Yeye! many like you are now my sister inlaws, cooking and enjoying amala with ewedu. Wont be surprise if one of my rich Yoruba brothers hook you up soon.

@OP
Patience is the key, I have seen so many in your shoes overcame. Maintain your stand, let your dad know how much you love each other, with time they will give up, Just be patience.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by oyinda3(f): 11:31pm On Jul 07, 2010
OAM4J:

@OP
Patience is the key, I have seen so many in your shoes overcame. Maintain your stand, let your dad know how much you love each other, with time they will give up, Just be patience.

why are you telling her to maintain her stand. maybe for her fiance to be. yes.
but her outlook in general is not normal. being repulsed by men of ur race to me is a psychological problem maybe arising from childhood events. maybe she was sexually abused or something.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by OAM4J: 11:45pm On Jul 07, 2010
oyinda.:

why are you telling her to maintain her stand. maybe for her fiance to be. yes.
but her outlook in general is not normal. being repulsed by men of your race to me is a psychological problem maybe arising from childhood events. maybe she was sexually abused or something.

You have a point, but I was only addressing the moment: Two people who in love, and the girl's father saying 'No' because the guy is Yoruba.

Even if she is to address/overcome whatever problem she has with her tribesmen, the solution doesn't include giving up on this present relationship.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by oyinda3(f): 12:03am On Jul 08, 2010
yea i agree with u. but I feel that is very common in naija n other 3rd world countries where family ties mean a lot.  especially for female daughters  (who tend to have closer relationships with family)
the deciding factor will be if i'm willing to risk my family for a guy. if yes, then i'll say go ahead. If no, then jump ship.

"love" fades. sometimes very fast. so i'll tell her to know the guy well before making some silly mistake. because relationship and marriage are two different things.
to me the reason for high divorce rate in western world is because they place too high value on romance often misconstrued as "love"

what i'll advice her to do is tell her parents about the guy and future marriage plans (if they don't know yet) and stay in a relationship with him. wait for two yrs then decide to go ahead with marriage plans. in the two years, i think she will have seen most of whatever is there to come. i dunno.

similar topic (but without the tribalistic tinge)
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-38093.0.html
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 08, 2010
OAM4J:

Yeye! many like you are now my sister inlaws, cooking and enjoying amala with ewedu. Wont be surprise if one of my rich Yoruba brothers hook you up soon.

@OP

Tufiakwa! tongue cheesy
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 08, 2010
^^^^^ lol!
@ op, this is a tough one- choosing between love and family.

He hasn't popped the question yet  so just wait and see. Invite him over more so your father can have a chance to assess and judge him based on his character rather than his ethnic colouration and also talk to your dad, tell him how you feel about the yoruba guy and point out various examples of inter-tribal marriages between people you both know that worked.
I wish you luck though.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by OAM4J: 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2010
Ujujoan:

Tufiakwa! tongue cheesy

hahahaha lol grin

if you are so sure of yourself, leave your address/contact, i will send one of my brothers to you who will make you an offer you can NEVER refuse.

Every year you will be popping out a child giving them Yoruba names and you will not even remember you are Igbo.

And I hope you are VERY beautiful and can beat the Yoruba girls in the game, cos my rich brothers dont like ugly & dull girls grin grin grin
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 08, 2010
OAM4J:

hahahaha lol grin

if you are so sure of yourself, leave your address/contact, i will send one of my brothers to you who will make you an offer you can NEVER refuse.

Every year you will be popping out a child giving them Yoruba names and you will not even remember you are Igbo.

And I hope you are VERY beautiful and can beat the Yoruba girls in the game, cos my rich brothers dont like ugly & dull girls grin grin grin

Oh trust me, I've been there, done that! Once bitten . . . cool
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Sauron1: 4:07pm On Jul 08, 2010
nnemdi21:

i need some advise

and so does my dad,

Ask the Yoruba man to knock you up - your father will relax.
I dunno why women rely on their father's choice when marriage knocks the door.
Why you nor marry your father then? Your father is old, he would soon leave the planet and it will be you and yourself alone when he leaves.
If you truly love this Yoruba fella, go for him.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by OAM4J: 4:30pm On Jul 08, 2010
Ujujoan:

Oh trust me, I've been there, done that! Once bitten . . . cool

I understand. Guess he is among the few wrong ones, but there are wrong ones across all tribes

And what makes them wrong is not their tribes. . . You only need to look for the good one irrespective of the tribe.

No harm trying again, who knows. . . you might be lucky the 2nd time. wink cool
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by jasman1: 9:27pm On Jul 08, 2010
my dear, if you're in a civilized world, phsychological evaluation may be proper. its not that you're in love with a yoruba man, but are attracted to all yoruba men. i'm a man, not a yoruba or ibo, but what i have noticed, the yorubas are good when dating not marriage. get the unseen load on your sholder off my dear friend. you're soooo blind, and i wish you well
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Sissy3(f): 1:39am On Jul 09, 2010
~Sauron~:

Ask the Yoruba man to knock you up - your father will relax.
I dunno why women rely on their father's choice when marriage knocks the door.
Why you nor marry your father then? Your father is old, he would soon leave the planet and it will be you and yourself alone when he leaves.
If you truly love this Yoruba fella, go for him.

because most women esp those from a "normal" home would want a husband just like their father
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by MrAnus: 2:14pm On Jul 09, 2010
ibo girls usually have yams, but i love them
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Sauron1: 4:59pm On Jul 09, 2010
~Sissy~:

because most women esp those from a "normal" home would want a husband just like their father

Even when some fathers are blinded and biased with tribalism?
I hope you know there's a universe of difference between a good father and a good husband.
That these babes want a man like their father does not necessarily mean the man will be a good husband.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by Sissy3(f): 12:26am On Jul 10, 2010
~Sauron~:

sadly, i think yes. with the disguise of "knowing more those kinds of marriage related stuffs" and these type of women wouldnt want to get married without their fathers blessing/consent.

I hope you know there's a universe of difference between a good father and a good husband.
That these babes want a man like their father does not necessarily mean the man will be a good husband.

of course there is difference between the two. but the women i mentioned tend to lookout for general traits their father possess in a husband. more like, fathers do make great impact in their daughters lives good/bad, which is something many dont know
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by anitabest(f): 3:31pm On Jul 14, 2010
if lyk go marry hause i no even sen. 4 me i am getting married to my Igbo guys. the choice is yours.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by femiseun1: 10:30am On Oct 11, 2012
Igbo guys dont marry early so thats Y u are not attracted to them. grin. They dont talk about marriage until they are above 35 So they are too old for u. Dont worry wait for them. One of them will surely come your way and u will make ur parents happy
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by tpia5: 4:59pm On Oct 11, 2012
FOR SOME REASONS I'M ATTRACTED TO YORUBA MEN. INFACT I COULD GO FOR ANY TRIBE EXCEPT IGBO.

bolded should be the thread title, its about you and your issues, not yoruba.

AFTER TWO YEARS OF SEARCHING FOR THE PERFECT IGBO GUY, I MET AN AWESOME YORUBA GUY "again"

where did you find the "yoruba" guy?

in igboland?

attract yourself to igbo men, dear, if the matter bothers you so much.
Re: An Igbo Girl: Attracted To Yoruba Men: Father Says Over His Dead Body. by tpia5: 4:59pm On Oct 11, 2012
fake thread. most likely.

are you saying they dont know what they're talking about? Why dont you go and preach to Indians then?

i dont know why some people are always disturbing others with all this dating rigmarole?

if his blood is not dilited with that of another tribe (preferable Igbo)

his blood being diluted with igbo or some other tribe, means someone will be a good husband?

that's news to me!!!!

I thought if you liked "exotic", you liked "exotic"- totally different from being or considering somebody marriage material!

(1) (Reply)

19 Kids And Counting Mom Miscarries Her Baby # 20 / My Fiancée is too Temperamental...Help!!! / Woman Shows How To Have Sex In Front Of Her Toddler Daughter.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.