Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? (17886 Views)

BONNY ISLAND, Nigeria. A Beautiful City Many Don't Know Of.[history&pictures] / Is Russia A Good Place To Live? / Is Ghana A Good Place To Start Up Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by NiteAngel(m): 6:26am On May 09, 2007
Eko4Show,
I really hope for your sake that you have your papers otherwise your interest will be forced to lock in with Nigeria when the arm of law reaches you. You were trying to define some issues; now what do you say about below in the locality where you reside:

1. a black man shot for being black
2. a university graduate with first class who has to clean the loo
3. a six year old labelled disabled because it helps the school get more funding
4. a small company that is constantly been harassed by conglomerates
5. a farmer who is encouraged to live perpetually in debt (aka credit cards) instead of having solution to his problem
6. a friend of mine who had to miss a flight; he was picked out for sceening because he dared to pay with cash
7. a teacher who is compelled to keep teaching when the environment is not conducive
8. a banker forced to stand inline to receive and wash dishes
9. a country that keeps blessing people with cancer via energy contaminations
10. a nation that keeps leaving large on the sweat of immigrants

There are issues in every country; as long as you are for peace and with God on your side, you definitely will survive. I don't expect you as a Nigerian to be the one discouraging people from visiting but of course you are thoroughly westernised after surviving the hard point of entry. People like you should be made to pay heavily for visas especially when you choose to return to unwind for two weeks during winter.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by needeeg(m): 8:11pm On May 09, 2007
Hmm, Angel u sef gate ur probs oh, well @ author naija is nice place tho, if ppls keep telling u about it u will think of selfish or something, so just try and be there for urself!
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by ebeledi(m): 12:40am On May 18, 2007
im not sure about the north they kill christians and treat women very poorly

click on this link

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/CWN/050605nigeria.aspx

try engugu (very friendly place)
akwa ibom
ahoda
some places in port harcourt and benin city
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by wadomi: 12:43am On May 18, 2007
what the hell - some of us still have families there and busniesses - to hell with CNN and their news and to hell with anyone who helps circulate it on Nairaland.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by ebeledi(m): 12:46am On May 18, 2007
the north??
check out the link
they kill 2 many christians and follow middle eastern trends of radical muslims

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/CWN/050605nigeria.aspx

try engugu, benin city, ahoda, calabar
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by wadomi: 1:02am On May 18, 2007
why peddling a news item of 2005?
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by oreofemi(f): 5:41pm On May 21, 2007
Nigeria is the best place to live.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by marlet01(m): 7:14pm On May 22, 2007
I don't see any thing bad in Living in Nigeria even some foreigners has confessed that Nigeria is even safer than the United States.

So is ok!
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by BigSis(f): 12:55am On May 23, 2007
Sistah,

The best thing is to ask a Black American who has spent some time in Naija, that if you want a truthful answer.

I will just say this.  Naija is a pretty economically desperate country.  There are no jobs.  That is why Naijas are scattered on the four corners of the earth.  It is lawless and has no real government.  In addtion, absolutely nothing works, and life is of very little value. It is not a country where you can feel really free.  You have to constantly watch your back.

Question:  How are you going to support yourself?  Don't leave the US unless he has provided a house that you own in the US.  Don't follow no man blindly.  If thing don't work out, you want to be able to pack your bags and go back home to your house that is your.  Don't use any of your money you earned to buy any properties and finance in house building.  If he wants the house, let him do it.  You must save and keep your separate money in a US bank.

The only kind of job you can get in Naija is worth something is with a multinational, US government, or and NGO.  You want to have the job before you step foot in Naija. 

Naija is a very harsh society with some extreme poverty and a very few rich. 

Don't go into such a situation blindly.  I would suggest you visit Naija with your man as much as possible.  If you stay at least a month, this will be good.  AFter two weeks of suffering, you should get past the newness and tourist stage.  You will get an idea of how every day life is lead. 

It will be a culture shock and you want have an opportunity to commune and socialize with your own people.  There are too few there.  So you will be immersed in their world, and some of their cultural practices may not set too well with you. 

I felt the need to respond because you seem as if you are at that starry eyed stage.  You can really get screwed over if you don't get your head out of the clouds.

Google and try to find blogs and sites where western women talk about their experiences with Naija men.  It will be a sure fire eye opener. 

Does your man have his papers?  If not, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but this is probably the main reason he is with you.

Nigeria is a very harsh place to live in if you have lived in the west.  Their are absolutely no conveniences.  I mean none.  It is purely third world.

I am a sistah, and I would not lie to my sistah.  Please take your blinders off and protect yourself.

Girl, me and my AAs friends who have visited Naija all agree, it is a hell hole. However, I visit there regularly. But I would never live there. Life is too short to suffer.

P.S.

In Naija culture, the man buys the house, the car, and all of the major needs of the family. Don't let him fool you into going half with him on these things. He would never dare ask a Naija woman to go half. He will use his money to finance other people and things.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, I would distance myself from them. They are dangerous.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by Wadomoi(f): 1:10am On May 23, 2007
@BigSis

Is this the same Nigeria where we came from you have described or another one in your dream? You wrote as if what you have said is the truth and the absolute truth? I visit Nigeria five times in a year and on each trip, half of the plane is filled with foreigners coming to the country or going out of the country, and all you can write is that Nigeria is a harsh palce to live in? Which place is not harsh? UK where under 16 stab and kill each other? America where under age preganacy and prostitution is rife? Compare the crime rate in these countries to Nigeria and you will see the wide gap - common - people like u degrade your country thinking u r telling the truth.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by Tonim(f): 1:17am On May 23, 2007
BigSis is not from Nigeria. She is an Akata woman married to a Naija man. I have read her post in the past, she is really ignorant.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by OmoEko1(f): 1:20am On May 23, 2007
@BigSis or whatever your name is

If you know nothing about Nigeria just shut your trap angry angry angry angry, i hate when people come on nairaland and start criticizing other people country. Just because you are visited there doesn't mean you know everything about Nigeria angry angry angry.

But on the other hand am not highly surprise this nonsense talk of yours is coming from a black American, at least we have a place to call a home unlike you.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by OmoEko1(f): 1:22am On May 23, 2007
Tonim:

BigSis is not from Nigeria. She is an Akata woman married to a Naija man. I have read her post in the past, she is really ignorant.
well her husband should be ashame of her angry angry angry and moreover i don't blame her it's her her husband that is feeding her with those bullshit.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by OmoEko1(f): 1:24am On May 23, 2007
@Wa_do_moi

Are you paying attention to this yeye lady wink wink ignore her abeg
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by Wadomoi(f): 1:28am On May 23, 2007
Ok - I rest my case- daughter of a slave? I just read a few of her posts and she is as sure as hell one moda foking daughter of a slave.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by OmoEko1(f): 1:35am On May 23, 2007
Wa_do_moi:

Ok - I rest my case- daughter of a slave? I just read a few of her posts and she is as sure as hell one moda foking daughter of a slave.
GIRL U ARE SO MEAN cheesy cheesy, see that y we can't blame her
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by ebeledi(m): 5:05am On May 23, 2007
its her slave mentality sadly to say alot of african americans think on that level
are you serious there big sis when you said there are no attractions in naija

have you been to calabar, engugu, akwan ibom

my uncles girl friend has been to nigeria from time to time!(by the way she is african american from detroit michigan)
tell me why everytime she comes back to america she feels homesick. she even said she wanted to retire there.

big sis you are very ignorant i can tell you are either unemployed or have a low down "3rd world job"

stick to your degrading mentality
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by DisGuy: 4:30am On May 24, 2007
on one hand you said they kill people in the north or the other hand you said someone is degrading the country  undecided

is it not the same country?
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by ebeledi(m): 9:01pm On May 24, 2007
the only reason i said they kill people in the north is becomes some hausa guy said that all igbo people have aids and are 419
named young dice
i might have posted on the wrong thread or maybe he modified it

i never degrade my country oh

NAIJA For ever
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by vronnie(f): 5:27am On May 26, 2007
lanegra , I too will be traveling to Nigeria this January I'm excited i have been reading up on everything and I'm taking a online course in Yoruba my husband has already instructed me on somethings like I'm not to travel anywhere alone (he will have a driver for me at all times) do not drink the water only bottled water , Don't go to the servants part of the house , and many other things I plan on visiting Abuja,port Harcourt, calabar and Lagos . i have a full schedule but he has already warned me that i might not be able to get to everywhere i want to go . But never the less I'm going to enjoy myself.hope you do the same.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by 9ja4eva: 5:08am On May 27, 2007
@ Nite Angel

I get u.U correct gan
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by Nobody: 7:07am On May 27, 2007
vronnie:

lanegra , I too will be traveling to Nigeria this January I'm excited i have been reading up on everything and I'm taking a online course in Yoruba my husband has already instructed me on somethings like I'm not to travel anywhere alone (he will have a driver for me at all times) do not drink the water only bottled water , Don't go to the servants part of the house , and many other things I plan on visiting Abuja,port Harcourt, calabar and Lagos . i have a full schedule but he has already warned me that i might not be able to get to everywhere i want to go . But never the less I'm going to enjoy myself.hope you do the same.

you are even lucky, you will be having servants. grin
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by Nobody: 7:18am On May 27, 2007
BigSis:

In Naija culture, the man buys the house, the car, and all of the major needs of the family. Don't let him fool you into going half with him on these things. He would never dare ask a Naija woman to go half. He will use his money to finance other people and things.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, I would distance myself from them. They are dangerous.

and i thought you claimed to have lived in naija before. My parents and all my family members i know of bought their property with their wives. I wonder where u dreamt up ur own imaginary culture from.

anyway thank God for slavery and the whiteman, but for their inhuman treatment of ur forefathers i'm sure you'd be selling tomatoes at oshodi market today.
You keep on talking about the US like its in heaven but sadly most of what makes it the great nation it is today is down solely to the white folks who live their and built the country from scratch. Dont decieve me with ur "our fathers worked the plantations", i'm sure you and i know who the real brains behind the greatness of the US is today, they merely used your brawn to do the donkey work while they sent their children to schools u werent allowed into until the late 1960s.

Thank God for civil rights, people like you would have been drinking water from "colored only" taps today.

thank God for political correctness, at least mullatos can now aspire to be president. It will probably take another 500 yrs before someone like you can ever dream of being US president. At least in my third world Nigeria i dont have to worry about the color of my skin.

Sadly you gloat about us being third world, we all saw katrina. many of us werent sure if it was a part of the US or a place in obalende after a massive downpour. You and ur race are at the very bottom of the social ladder in the US, you live in the poorest neighbourhoods, have the highest rates of drop outs, AIDS, teenage pregnancy. 65% of black women are single mothers, your life expectancy is poorer than for the latinos, even your own government knows that Nigerian immigrants to the US are 9 out of ten times more educated than those of u who spend ur time lazying around the welfare queue.

At least in Nigeria i have freedom, i cant say the same for you even though you sit there enjoying the benefits of ur forefather's chains.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by moondust(m): 1:55pm On Jun 01, 2007
yeah!Nigeria is infact the best place to be because u'll get to see how someone can go without the most basic human needs like Electricity, clean water, good food, good roads, security etc
and here's the best part, you will see for the first time how extreme poverty and wealth can co-exist within a locality.
still wanna come? Goodluck!
just being honest embarassed

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by 9ja4eva: 7:00am On Jun 06, 2007
davidylan:

and i thought you claimed to have lived in naija before. My parents and all my family members i know of bought their property with their wives. I wonder where u dreamt up your own imaginary culture from.

anyway thank God for slavery and the whiteman, but for their inhuman treatment of your forefathers i'm sure you'd be selling tomatoes at oshodi market today.
You keep on talking about the US like its in heaven but sadly most of what makes it the great nation it is today is down solely to the white folks who live their and built the country from scratch. Dont decieve me with your "our fathers worked the plantations", i'm sure you and i know who the real brains behind the greatness of the US is today, they merely used your brawn to do the donkey work while they sent their children to schools u werent allowed into until the late 1960s.

Thank God for civil rights, people like you would have been drinking water from "colored only" taps today.

thank God for political correctness, at least mullatos can now aspire to be president. It will probably take another 500 years before someone like you can ever dream of being US president. At least in my third world Nigeria i don't have to worry about the color of my skin.

Sadly you gloat about us being third world, we all saw katrina. many of us werent sure if it was a part of the US or a place in obalende after a massive downpour. You and your race are at the very bottom of the social ladder in the US, you live in the poorest neighbourhoods, have the highest rates of drop outs, AIDS, teenage pregnancy. 65% of black women are single mothers, your life expectancy is poorer than for the latinos, even your own government knows that Nigerian immigrants to the US are 9 out of ten times more educated than those of u who spend your time lazying around the welfare queue.

At least in Nigeria i have freedom, i can't say the same for you even though you sit there enjoying the benefits of your forefather's chains.

True talk oh
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by Seun(m): 8:26pm On Sep 17, 2007
The north can be dangerous for Christians, though. I'd suggest a town like Abuja.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by NJean(f): 1:21am On Sep 18, 2007
Okay, I too am visiting Nigeria with my boyfriend at the end of this year. We have talked quite a bit about this trip and what I take from this is that it will be an eye opener for me, a humbling experience. I am a white woman from the States and was concerned of what the reaction would be. I know the looks that we get walking around in the States, depending on where we are the stares can be intense. It's one thing to see him walk around here with a tall blonde but what will it be like there? He assures me that I will be treated very well, especially with his family because they will know that I am very loved. He assures me that my needs will be met graciously, as he tends to my needs here. He is the elder son of the family so I'm not sure if that plays a role in this situation. He is the only child out of the country and is quite brilliant. He has also spoke of spending a few years back in Nigeria when he retires but it wouldn't be permanent as his children are citizens of the States. This blog has made me nervous where I've been pretty comfortable. I've been doing some reading and talking to others, mostly white people, who have been in the country. Over and over I get that I will be treated well. I suppose that any one person could have either a bad experience or a good one. I'm hoping for a good one.

Thoughts? Comments??
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by Jakumo(m): 6:09am On Sep 18, 2007
Having lived for long enough on the US west coast and in Nigeria, here is my take on Nigeria.

Most roads in the country outside of downtown Abuja ( the capital ) are riddled with pot-holes and craters, and are absolutely unsafe for night travel due to the extreme risk of armed ambush.

Most parts of the country live in a perpetual electricity black-out, forcing all residences and business to rely on noisy gasoline or diesel generators to power lighting and appliances.

There is virtually NO municipal water supply infrastructure anywhere in Nigeria outside central Abuja, so people throughout the country rely on privately-owned wells and bore-holes for all their water needs, with the ubiquitous chugging generators of course powering all water pumping equipment in the absence of mains electricity.

Armed robbery gangs invade entire housing tracts in many major Nigerian towns and cities, and stay there for hours of violence, terror and bloodshed, while the "police" stay away till the smoke clears, after which they show up to take a theft inventory that will determine their cut of the loot later on when they re-unite with the raiders to share the spoils.

God help anyone involved in a vehicle accident on a Nigerian road, since the odds of an ambulance or good Samaritan stopping at the accident scene to render assistance are about as slim as the chances of winning a lottery jackpot.

Within Lagos in particular, anyone boarding a public transport minibus runs a significant risk of getting robbed and pushed out of the moving vehicle, or getting kidnapped by ritual murder gangs and never heard from again.  This mode of robbery is known in Lagos as " One Chance " or " Catch in the Air",  possibly in reference to the odds of victim's survival when the shit falls.

On a positive note, Nigerians who reside IN RURAL AREAS of the country can be some of the most generous and hospitable people you could hope to meet.  Can't think of any other positives right now. 

I imagine the knee-jerk "patriots" are bound to get all riled up over the above points, but I challenge ANYONE who has REALLY lived in Nigeria over the past decade to point out a single falsehood or exaggeration in this post.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by ALANKIWA: 9:33pm On Jan 02, 2011
Festacson, great response to that black american idiot. I have lived in the US for 18 years served in the Army and lived the american dream however, i hate these black americans yes lower case america. I have always have problem with them. They are so ignorant and feel ashame to share the same skin color with Africans. I do not blame them because the slavery mentality is still screwing up their heads.
I am planning on coming back home in 5 years with my family. There is no place like home (Nija). Like everywhere in the world your standard of living depend on how much you have. All we do here in the USA is work to pay bills and a house if you lucky to have one that will never be paid off. kiss
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by Nobody: 2:54am On Apr 12, 2019
moondust:
yeah!Nigeria is infact the best place to be because u'll get to see how someone can go without the most basic human needs like Electricity, clean water, good food, good roads, security etc
and here's the best part, you will see for the first time how extreme poverty and wealth can co-exist within a locality.
still wanna come? Goodluck!
just being honest embarassed
True.

Lanegra, please, check the Nigerian law about the marriage and marriage property. It could happen if your husband and you split, living in Nigeria, your husband could get your kids and your property / joint property. Ask about your rights and read a lot, visit before moving there. Check on what and where will you live with your husband and what kind of rights as the woman you have there. Nigerian society is made for men and as a foreigner you could be misinformed there. See how Nigerian women are behaving, they live all their lives between very smart Nigerian men and they also know how to be smart in Nigerian life.

Good luck in missing the good quality water, washing and drying machine, dishwasher and learn how to wash by hand, cook from scratch and many house chores by hand. Live, watch, observe, don't share your problems with people, you may be used very badly, any of your personal information may be used against you, not all so friendly people there are your friends. You have the same skin color, Afro, it will help to move around.
Re: Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 14, 2019
Lanegra, please, also read the topic like this or any topic where Nigerians claim asylum and wish to immigrate, there they tell all truth about their country Nigeria and call it the worse country from where all of them want to escape.
https://www.nairaland.com/4502884/painful-smile-nigerian-asylum-seekers

(1) (2) (Reply)

Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos / Three University of Taraba Students Killed By Tree During Excursion To Cameroon / Road Linking Bida To Katcha LGA Of Niger State Destroyed By Heavy Rain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.